Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,219 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

lawred2 wrote: »
    The turnout was high I thought

62%.

Not considered high...average.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

seamus wrote: »
    FG aren't running away. They're merely stepping back and allowing the bigger parties to do the work. FG haven't said they're not going into government, they've just gone quiet and are waiting for the phone call.

Funny that, somebody should tell the media. Seems to be FG elected on every station spouting the same gibberish, yet still not able to talk about themselves as a party. Open wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

62%.

fair enough - I was happy enough with the Saturday anyway. Much less a pain in the hole when the kid's school doesn't close.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not in SF's court though.
    Well they are making all the noises and the other two can rightly claim they have been rejected so over to SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ush1 wrote: »
    If you're a SF supporter, that's gas altogether.

I’m very much enjoying the current affairs forum for the past two day. The Shinners didn’t even get a day to bask in the glory of their successes before they are back sniping at FG - a party who they now appear desperate to try and form a government! The lads are tying themselves up in knots. They are terrified of the prospect of government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

FF, SF, Greens has the numbers. It won’t even be a rainbow as they all have green emblems.

The Greens added to the stew will make it easier for the FF party to accept. People say it would be unstable - well we just had almost 4 years of minority government.

Mary Lou, Micheál, and Eamonn need to get in a room and start talking this stuff out. The country doesn’t have time for political posturing. The current government will perform their caretaker role in the meantime. The trips to Brussels and all that.

That would work but FF ruled out going in with SF. If Martin back tracks on that he will look weak and most likely get destroyed at the next election.

Mary Lou has a bigger mandate and could demand to be made Taoiseach. The greens will remember their last stint in government and will no doubt be reluctant. SF might be better off forcing another election. Try to get rid of the monopoly parties altogether.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well they are making all the noises and the other two can rightly claim they have been rejected so over to SF.

FG are making the most noise, by country miles.

The other two?
    FF have the most seats. FG have 35, nobody has over 40.

?

No government can happen without one of FF or FG (or both). In fact FF hold the most seats.

Fail to see how that translates to "over to SF".

That would work but FF ruled out going in with SF. If Martin back tracks on that he will look weak and most likely get destroyed at the next election.

Mary Lou has a bigger mandate and could demand to be made Taoiseach. The greens will remember their last stint in government and will no doubt be reluctant. SF might be better off forcing another election. Try to get rid of the monopoly parties altogether.

Jesus, even SF supporters would shudder at the prospect of a SF overall majority!

I’m very much enjoying the current affairs forum for the past two day. The Shinners didn’t even get a day to bask in the glory of their successes before they are back sniping at FG - a party who they now appear desperate to try and form a government! The lads are tying themselves up in knots. They are terrified of the prospect of government.

Nobody is desperate to form a government with FG. Nobody.

But they are willing to point out how unwilling FG are to do anything.

The coward and incompetent party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Suckit wrote: »
    FG are making the most noise, by country miles.

The other two?
    FF have the most seats. FG have 35, nobody has over 40.

A few minutes ago you were asking where was Leo.

Sounds as if a lot of SF voters have ‘voters remorse’.

Now that the euphoria of the protest vote has subsided, the hangover is taking its toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's almost like the horns, chants and bugles of the election results have subsided and now an eerie silent hangover is in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »
    If posters on here were smart, they'd get out the abacus and realise a govt without either 2 of the big 3, or all 3 together, the numbers simply aren't there for SF to form a govt. Not a realistic govt, it's simply not feasible.

It simple math tbh. Either FG or FF will have to wind the necks in, or its back to the polls. There's no realistic alternative outcome here.

Time to stop deluding ourselves.

Time for SF to set the agenda now, my friend.

Irrespective of numbers ,time to come off the windswept hills and step into the light.

Very bad start so far after one day we have two ‘incidents’ drawing national attention.

FG and Ff need not wind any necks in, SF have been hammering them constantly fairly and unfairly.

Now it’s your turn show the electorate what you got. If anything.

Get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How does the allocation of votes from elected ( over quotas) and eliminated candidates work, do they choose who gets the votes, sorry that may have been asked and explained before but grateful for an explanation now please :o;)

No. The voters choose by expressing 2nd and subsequent preferences on their ballot papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,010 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's almost like the horns, chants and bugles of the election results have subsided and now an eerie silent hangover is in its place.

Is that a political system that can't cope with working together despite singing from the rooftops about working together 200km up the road ...

Absymal representation.

Bunch of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

?

No government can happen without one of FF or FG (or both). In fact FF hold the most seats.

Fail to see how that translates to "over to SF".
    Both have said no to SF and have lost seats which equates to rejection. FF can have a go but will not get the support internally nor externally. There is that "grand coalition" option but as I said I'd expect them to take an election over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Time for SF to set the agenda now, my friend.

Irrespective of numbers ,time to come off the windswept hills and step into the light.

Very bad start so far after one day we have two ‘incidents’ drawing national attention.

FG and Ff need not wind any necks in, SF have been hammering them constantly fairly and unfairly.

Now it’s your turn show the electorate what you got. If anything.

Get on with it.

guy sings song that was recently the uk and irish number 1.

Guy says up the ra in pub.

The real issues this country needs to discuss.

The hard shoulder my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,010 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Both have said no to SF and have lost seats which equates to rejection. FF can have a go but will not get the support internally nor externally. There is that "grand coalition" option but as I said I'd expect them to take an election over that.

What do they expect from another election... Because it won't be seats.

Well if they've both said no to SF then it's back to the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

limnam wrote: »
    It's gas.

Mary Lou is out running and around trying to form a government.

Laurel and hardy are standing around scratching their heads wondering WTF happened.

but SF need to get on with it ?

If we are going to have anither election , it makes absolute sense for sf to try to be the ones looking to form a government. It will get them even more support and public onside. They can’t form a government without ff or fg. But not at least trying with the alternatives , looks bad. I don’t think a weak fg is good. The alternative is ff for Christ sake.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

62%.

What??

Turnout for the 2020 general election was the fourth-lowest ever in the history of the State.

The only general elections with lower turnouts in the history of the State were 2002 (62.6%), 1922 (62.5%) and 1923 (61.3%).

Well if they've both said no to SF then it's back to the polls.

Which would result in an even bigger seat gain for sf. Who can’t get a majority , that talk is madness. They’d win the most seats s this time for sure though. But if ffg wouldn’t go in with them. Would they win enough seats to form a everyone but ffg government and could they get everyone else onside ? No. Mickey Mouse should flip a coin on this live on tv and leave it to “ faith “

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

SF gone to ground,unable to provide a spokesperson for SOR.

Is this a record?

limnam wrote: »
    guy sings song that was recently the uk and irish number 1.

Guy says up the ra in pub.

The real issues this country needs to discuss.

The hard shoulder my arse.

That will blow over. What the people want is for SF to be in government. Martin has to swallow the bile now and do a deal with the Greens and the Shinners. The people of Ireland are watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Pat is also waiting for someone to join them.

Is this a record?

Hopefully there sitting down talking about _real_ issues rather than going on to SOR to discuss people in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,237 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Anyone know how the Saturday polling day affected the turnout? It's hard to be definitive about it considering how the weather no doubt kept some people at home, but will Saturday polling days be the new norm?

Not if the teachers can do something about it.

Mlmd can go in with ff or fg and the greens. I mean there isn’t much difference ideologically between ffg. Also if there is another election, there’s a good chance varadkar loses his seat ! I don’t think Varadkar will want another election on that basis, but others in fg might. Ffg wil lose seats. Mlmd assuming they do want to lead , should tell ff that they will be the senior party and they can save us all the hassle of another election ...

Is this a record?

I’m probably displaying my legendary FG arrogance, B, but I’d suggest many of their newly elected candidates wouldn’t exactly be the sharpest knives in the block. Don’t want another blooper on a show like SOR.

Best put out the boilerplate press statement. New politics.

• Advertisement

I’m probably displaying my legendary FG arrogance, B, but I’d suggest many of their newly elected candidates wouldn’t exactly be the sharpest knives in the block. Don’t want another blooper on a show like SOR.

Best put out the boilerplate press statement. New politics.

Plenty of dim wits in FG

Never stopped them.

Advertisement