Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

FF and FG should let SF and the rest govern

Promise not to pull down a government for 2 years

Over to you Mary Lou then

sjb25 wrote: »
    Another few weeks if things keep sliding the way they are

That soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ush1 wrote:
    Wow, I never heard those words coming out of Mary Lous mouth referring to FG. Good for the goose an all that...

Politicans and political parties have limited abilities and power to make changes at times, at times, other forces, such as plutocratic interests have far more power than these political elements, I. E. Sometimes it actually doesn't really matter who's in power, this alternative interests are virtually always in power, no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

SF and FG supporters voted for both parties knowing FG wouldn't go into power with SF

Sounds a bit like Sinn Fein and their abstention stance.

It wouldn't take but 2mins of searching to find fg acolytes whinging about that though.

No more will the Brexit threads be clogged up by posters wondering why the shinners just don't take the oath to the queen and get into Westminster, despite their voters voting for them "knowing SF wouldn't take their Westminster seats".

Do some of you lads ever think before you post?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    FF and FG should let SF and the rest govern

Promise not to pull down a government for 2 years

Over to you Mary Lou then

That would actually be very funny. Paul Murphy over the department with responsibility for Irish Water, Dessie Ellis as minister for justice going up to the Park to meet Drew Harris about matters of state security, Pearse Doherty magicking infinite money out of everywhere to pay for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

McMurphy wrote: »

It wouldn't take but 2mins of searching to find fg acolytes whinging about that though.

No more will the Brexit threads be clogged up by posters wondering why the shinners just don't take the oath to the queen and get into Westminster, despite their voters voting for them "knowing SF wouldn't take their Westminster seats".

Yet we have SF supporters whinging about FG sticking to their promises????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Politicans and political parties have limited abilities and power to make changes at times, at times, other forces, such as plutocratic interests have far more power than these political elements, I. E. Sometimes it actually doesn't really matter who's in power, this alternative interests are virtually always in power, no matter what

That's fine and I don't disagree, but I assume you afford that same patience to Fine Gael or Fianna Fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Its a ticking timebomb. Who would want to be in power for the next 4 years.

No it’s not, just need a firm hand on the tiller and tell those greedy tools to clear off,change, or take a hike.

With SF now in charge, the bullhorn brigade, many who were dragged in on their surpluses might not have too many pickets to attend.

And the tools honking their car horns begging these greedy people to clean them out might, just might, get sense and see what is happening.

Loads of employment, economy good right now, yes some problems, but SF have told us they can handle and solve all this.

Aaaaaaand.......aaaaaaaaway.

Get on with it, time for the left to get off the pot or....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:D:D:D True Mc, so very true.

Saltiness and hypocrisy. Guess we are going to see that all out in the open now.

That would actually be very funny. Paul Murphy over the department with responsibility for Irish Water, Dessie Ellis as minister for justice going up to the Park to meet Drew Harris about matters of state security, Pearse Doherty magicking infinite money out of everywhere to pay for everything.

Give the people who wanted change a chance in government

May mean MM is the only FF leader not to be Taoiseach in history but so be it

He didn't win the election

Mary Lou did

• Advertisement

No it’s not, just need a firm hand on the tiller and tell those greedy tools to clear off,change, or take a hike.

With SF now in charge, the bullhorn brigade, many who were dragged in on their surpluses might not have too many pickets to attend.

And the tools honking their car horns begging these greedy people to clean them out might, just might, get sense and see what is happening.

Loads of employment, economy good right now, yes some problems, but SF have told us they can handle and solve all this.

Aaaaaaand.......aaaaaaaaway.

Get on with it, time for the left to get off the pot or....

Spot on, Brendan. Time for the rhetoric to stop. People voted for change. Now they want it to happen quickly. Time for the Shinners to cosy in beside FF and the Greens, roll up the sleeves, and get down to the business of delivering the change they promised

I’d like to see them stop the Local Property Tax pronto.

My 2nd fella isn’t shaping up to be much either - not exactly going to be a success in life. So a free gaff for him would be good.

37 candidates elected from 42 must be some sort of record. You have to hand it to Mary Lou. Really thought the party would struggle after Gerry stepped down.

Just shy of 90% (88%) if my math is correct.

Has to have been one of the highest seat return percentage in the history of the state.

Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,008 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Spot on, Brendan. Time for the rhetoric to stop. People voted for change. Now they want it to happen quickly. Time for the Shinners to cosy in beside FF and the Greens, roll up the sleeves, and get down to the business of delivering the change they promised

My 2nd fella isn’t shaping up to be much either - not exactly going to be a success in life. So a free gaff for him would be good.

Shame theres no such thing as a free gaff. You should let him down gently may come as a shock considering his father doesn't know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Christy42

Give the people who wanted change a chance in government

May mean MM is the only FF leader not to be Taoiseach in history but so be it

He didn't win the election

Mary Lou did

He has more seats which is the definition of winning. Certainly Sinn Fein should be commended and had a brilliant performance. However the dail still works on seats and FF has them.

If ML can get enough votes together she can lead. Otherwise it is whoever manages to cobble together enough votes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Christy42 wrote: »
    He has more seats which is the definition of winning. Certainly Sinn Fein should be commended and had a brilliant performance. However the dail still works on seats and FF has them.

If ML can get enough votes together she can lead. Otherwise it is whoever manages to cobble together enough votes

They have more seats.

They didn't "win" more seats

They "won" the same amount of seats.

Has to have been one of the highest seat return percentage in the history of the state.

Dude.

Absolutely. And they’d have won far more if they’d ran second and even third candidates. Huge platform for change. Now the era of overall majorities are gone here so SF will always need to do a deal with someone. Might as well start with FF and the Greens.

In reality SF +14

FF -6

Since 2016

No way MM and FF 'won' that eletion

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dude.

Yeah serious performance in fairness.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

listermint wrote: »
    Shame theres no such thing as a free gaff. You should let him down gently may come as a shock considering his father doesn't know either.

You're right, nothing is free, somebody always pays. Someone should let these tenants know:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-5-4956180-Jan2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The people giving out 'free gaffs' were not SF.
    It was the parties that folk here are 'missing already' through salty tears. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Look there's lots of issues because of successive governments who looked after the banks, vulture funds, private insurance companies etc. Even if SF get into government it will take many years to clean up the mess left behind.

Oh, SF are going to tackle PS pay, pensions and SW spend?

Jaysus that's great news but I thought their manifesto promised increased spending on these :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,008 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ush1 wrote: »
    You're right, nothing is free, somebody always pays. Someone should let these tenants know:

It's not free you made my point.

What's clear there is DCC are not enforcing.

Enforce the arse out of it.

Or were you expecting me to say let them away on...

I think you have posted on average 7.5 posts on boards.ie everyday since you joined under this current alias and the large majority of the posts have been anti-government, pro-Sinn Fein in tenor.

Frightening article yet "Only one tenant has been evicted for rent arrears since 2014."

Sure why does anybody bother paying is that's the case?

listermint wrote: »
    It's not free you made my point.

What's clear there is DCC are not enforcing.

Enforce the arse out of it.

Or were you expecting me to say let them away on...

I agreed it isn't free?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sinn Fein intend to collect that money to pay for their house-building programme, it will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

In reality SF +14

FF -6

Since 2016

No way MM and FF 'won' that eletion

They “won” more than they deserved.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its no secret the social housing program needs to be overhauled. Rent should come directly from income source and it needs to be more. I say that as council tenant myself (hopefully not for much longer).

Yet we have SF supporters whinging about FG sticking to their promises????

What promises?

They promised not to go into coalition with FF?

SF are saying they're open to talks with allsides, I'm well up for seeing the big 3 enter a grand coalition we could call it SFG.

The numbers for anything else isn't feasible or viable, sticking the fingers in the ears won't disguise that, and FFG willing to walk of the pitch won't stand over them if we're back at the polls in a few weeks/Months.

SF truly have Leo and Michaél over a barrel here.

Coalesce with them.
    Coalesce together making them the main opposition.
    Back to the polls with SF fielding more candidates.

All to play for yet, the erosion of FFG might not have ended in Feb 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's kind of meaningless though. One could argue that if three-quarters of your candidates or more are getting a seat, then you haven't run enough candidates. A 90% election rate is a good thing because you're popular where you ran. It's a bad thing because you've limited your own power.

If any party ran a single candidate in their most popular constituencies, they'd return a 100% rate, but they'd have less seats than they could get and they'd be criticised for it.

90% is a interesting footnote, but mostly its an indicator that SF were taken by surprise like everyone, and this success wasn't part of their master plan.

Advertisement