Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Ush1 wrote: »
    You're right, nothing is free, somebody always pays. Someone should let these tenants know:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-5-4956180-Jan2020/

That will all get written off, cant expect these people to take responsibility.

I corrected one line in the article
    According to the council, 13,584 of tenants who are the principal earner sponger in their household, are currently in receipt of social welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

eeepaulo wrote: »
    That will all get written off, cant expect these people to take responsibility.

I corrected one line in the article

It should come directly out of SW, its ridiculous at this stage it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think you have posted on average 7.5 posts on boards.ie everyday since you joined under this current alias and the large majority of the posts have been anti-government, pro-Sinn Fein in tenor.

It's a public messaging board, if users stopped posting in it, it would soon become obsolete.

Besides, seems their might be on average 7.5 posts everyday that you could counter, instead of playing the man?

McMurphy wrote: »
    What promises?

They promised not to go into coalition with FF?

SF are saying they're open to talks with allsides, I'm well up for seeing the big 3 enter a grand coalition we could call it SFG.

The numbers for anything else isn't feasible or viable, sticking the fingers in the ears won't disguise that, and FFG willing to walk of the pitch won't stand over them if we're back at the polls in a few weeks/Months.

SF truly have Leo and Michaél over a barrel here.

Coalesce with them.
    Coalesce together making them the main opposition.
    Back to the polls with SF fielding more candidates.

All to play for yet, the erosion of FFG might not have ended in Feb 2020.

I don’t think you get how much FF and FG voters do not want the party they voted for going into power with SF. If either party do it they will be destroyed. I’ve voted for FG (and some independents) since I’ve turned 18. If they went in with SF I doubt I’d ever vote for them again. I don’t want my vote supporting that horrible clueless party and their terrible policies and terrible history.

I would welcome another election I don’t think it would be near as good for SF as their naive supporters think, which isn’t surprising really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Christy42

limnam wrote: »
    They have more seats.

They didn't "win" more seats

They "won" the same amount of seats.

I said he has more seats. I didn't say win so why are you getting snippy.

The Ceann Comhairle gets a vote this session the same as any that won election this year as opposed to 4 years ago. This is how the Dail works.

It doesn't work off what the change is from the last time. It doesn't work of what someone feels you deserve. It works off seats your party has and any more seats that will support you.

I am not trying to belittle what SF did. SF had a brilliant gains and is a great position to be involved in government. Indeed they are only short of FF by one vote and so may be able to make the numbers to stick ML in charge. She has not won the right to be in charge. She has won an increased say in the dail.

The reality is FF 38, SF 37, FG 35. That is what counts now.

• Advertisement

It's a public messaging board, if users stopped posting in it, it would soon become obsolete.

Besides, seems their might be on average 7.5 posts everyday that you could counter, instead of playing the man?
    You have an agenda. You should identify yourself for what you are.

I don’t think you get how much FF and FG voters do not want the party they voted for going into power with SF. If either party do it they will be destroyed. I’ve voted for FG (and some independents) since I’ve turned 18. If they went in with SF I doubt I’d ever vote for them again. I don’t want my vote supporting that horrible clueless party and their terrible policies and terrible history.

As you are more than entitled to.

However I don't think people should sneer at you if they think the party you voted for are clueless with terrible policies and horrible history.

There's that FG arrogance again.

Get up the yard, take off your tinfoil hat and get a grip FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

blanch152 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein intend to collect that money to pay for their house-building programme, it will be interesting to watch.

Do they use anyone in particular for debt collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

celt262 wrote: »

Hehe. There are some brilliant what's app floating around at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

celt262 wrote: »

Well one of their elected TD'S was a dab hand at it .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Christy42 wrote: »
    I said he has more seats. I didn't say win so why are you getting snippy.

The Ceann Comhairle gets a vote this session the same as any that won election this year as opposed to 4 years ago. This is how the Dail works.

It doesn't work off what the change is from the last time. It doesn't work of what someone feels you deserve. It works off seats your party has and any more seats that will support you.

I am not trying to belittle what SF did. SF had a brilliant gains and is a great position to be involved in government. Indeed they are only short of FF by one vote and so may be able to make the numbers to stick ML in charge. She has not won the right to be in charge. She has won an increased say in the dail.

The reality is FF 38, SF 37, FG 35. That is what counts now.

hard to follow who you are referring to here, is it SF? or the party that party that has failed on issues across the board after nearly a decade in power? is it the party that supports rip off housing? that did nothing to reward workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Christy42

Idbatterim wrote: »
    hard to follow who you are referring to here, is it SF? or the party that party that has failed on issues across the board after nearly a decade in power? is it the party that supports rip off housing? that did nothing to reward workers?

I am saying you can't say you "won" an election when you don't end up with the most seats. (Well you can but you just look a bit silly).

I assume you are reffering to Fine Gael? I would also say they didn't win the election. Not sure what their record on housing has to do with counting seats. I mean it probably reduced it but still weird addition to the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Using the times coalition builder , FF and FG with some of the right independents can make a stable enough government bypassing the greens and and shinners.

The Shinners can build a rainbow left coalition with the greens and all the left but it wouldnt last long or help the country in any way.

Looks like the shinners victory may give us a stable cemterist government of the two major parties aftersll

Get up the yard, take off your tinfoil hat and get a grip FFS.
    I don't need a tinfoil hat. I just quickly skim through your posts and see the topics which you feel compelled to comment upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Using the times coalition builder , FF and FG with some of the right independents can make a stable enough government bypassing the greens and and shinners.

The Shinners can build a rainbow left coalition with the greens and all the left but it wouldnt last long or help the country in any way.

Looks like the shinners victory may give us a stable cemterist government of the two major parties aftersll

Not if Micheal "my main objection to Sinn Féin is a moral one" Martin has his way. I wonder is opposition to SF among TDs who took all that stuff literally broad enough and entrenched enough to block his plan. I suspect some of them see another election that would almost certainly produce "a rainbow left coalition with the greens and all the left" a way out of this desperate choice they face...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Your only realising this now? This has been obvious since Sunday. FF have also ruled this out.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think you have posted on average 7.5 posts on boards.ie everyday since you joined under this current alias and the large majority of the posts have been anti-government, pro-Sinn Fein in tenor.

If you have a problem with a post or poster report it, leave the modding to the mods and get back to discussing the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I really, really dont think another term from the axis of failure is acceptable!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Get Real wrote: »
    Back in the day this country had its own indigenous industries. We were a rural economy exporting basic beef&dairy goods, knitted jumpers and sugar and 75% was to Britain.

That's not to knock our (world reknowned) agricultural industry today. But multinationals have done a huge thing for this country. Beginning in the 70s, and intensifying with the likes of Apple and Intel. To the Google's of today. There is also still plenty of opportunity for home grown talent, manufacturing and tech.

I don't see what a protectionist system would achieve. Ireland is a country of diversity, openness, ease of business and innovation.

Blanket statements about indigenous industries reek of backward, Brexit-style ideals.

There is no reason why we can't have Multinationals here as they already are, supporting jobs and a spin off economy. It doesn't impede indigenous companies from setting up their own manufacturing, or implementing innovative new ideas. In fact, it encourages it, as they complement each other.

A need for local industry does not mean a lack of foreign industry. Everything you've said about Ireland expanding from the 70s to now is mostly pushed by industry coming into ireland.

We need both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'd say if a government is formed without SF there will be murder and the next election will be even worse for FF and FG if they do that. Plenty of the seats that FF and FG did get were by scraping in at the end under quota. Can't see past another election at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

laugh wrote: »
    I'd say if a government is formed without SF there will be murder and the next election will be even worse for FF and FG if they do that.

The hope would be that Shinner-mania would have abated a bit 4/5 years down the road. If FF were to go in with SF, is it not highly likely that SF would pull the plug within months? What position would FF be in going into that election? Who would even think about voting for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

laugh wrote: »
    I'd say if a government is formed without SF there will be murder and the next election will be even worse for FF and FG if they do that.

You dont believe they have fully moved away from violence either then ?

Ireland is not a left country. It has no base of a left government. Then, what passes as left here isnt really left, and SF are no more left than my right foot - their leftness is only a flag of convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ireland is not a left country. It has no base of a left government. Then, what passes as left here isnt really left, and SF are no more left than my right foot - their leftness is only a flag of convenience.

Yes centre left is probably a more accurate description of the larger parties in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,577 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tuxy wrote:
    Yes centre left is probably a more accurate description of the larger parties in Ireland.

FFG are centre left?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    In reality SF +14

FF -6

Since 2016

No way MM and FF 'won' that eletion

'Winning' is a nonsensical argument. A party wins only if they have an overall majority. Anything else, and there is not such thing as winning or losing. There are simply representatives. The whole elected group has a responsibility to the people who elected them, to form a government. No TD or party has any more nor less responsibility or right on this point. No TD or party is obliged to lead, to wait to be courted, or to abstain from the process. This is their undertaking as elected representative, and they all bear the same repsonsibility.
    By the same token, the voters did not 'reject' any party. They voted for them all in different proportions. Arguments about who has to be in or out of a govt as a result is complete nonesense and just biased posturing or delusion.
    160 TD must form a government. (<-thats a full stop there before the space before the open bracket)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,577 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

'Winning' is a nonsensical argument. A party wins only if the have an overall majority. Anything else, and there is not such thing as winning or losing. There are simple representatives. The whole elected group has a responsibility to the people who elected them, to for a government. No TD or party has any more nor less responsibility or right on this point. No TD or party is obliged to lead, to wait to be courted, or to abstain from the process. This is their undertaking as elected representative, and they all bear the same repsonsibility. By the same token, the voters did not 'reject' any party. They voted for them all in different proportions. Arguments about who has to be in or out of a govt as a result is complete nonesense and just biased posturing or delusion. 160 TD must form a government. (

So what happens if they cannot agree to form a government?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

listermint wrote: »
    It's not free you made my point.

What's clear there is DCC are not enforcing.

Enforce the arse out of it.

Or were you expecting me to say let them away on...

Hmmmm.... who were the largest party prior to the last election.

SF I believe.

Lost 8 seats in the last election.

Not great , I would suggest.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So what happens if they cannot agree to form a government?

Then there is another election. And the bulk of them should be rejected at that ballot as having proven themselves incompetent to govern.

Advertisement