Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭listermint

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nope, this is just what they say about their red lines, SF say something else, Labour another thing and The Greens are all about climate. I don't know why you're making me responsible for it as I am not a member of any party.

Never said you were a member.

I asked where you happy with it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So explain to me how based on the numbers and the unwillingness of FG and FF to step up can SF form a government?
    They have said they are willing to talk to all parties.

Sure, just like I would be unwilling to get into a car driven by a a dude whose driving style I didn’t agree with pointed towards the edge of the Cliffs of Moher .

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Why would they do that as a matter of interest?

For throwing away an election Brenner, especially in the midst of so much economical prosperity, highest growth in the world, zero unemployment, blahdy blahdy blah.

Why are they out on their ears after saving us from the clutches of hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Jesus SF supporters are still obseesed with FG even though they got the boot.

Its very strange

If you've any Irish government actions or policies you care to reference :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sure, just like I would be unwilling to get into a car driven by a a dude whose driving style I didn’t agree with pointed towards the edge of the Cliffs of Moher .

Go figure.
    The analogies in this thread are beyond terrible. They are really, really sh*t.

Any word on whether Leo is stepping down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Go figure.

You'd get into a car of someone pointing towards a cliff ? Jesus that's bad you should examine your party membership if it's do or die ...

McMurphy wrote: »
    For throwing away an election Brenner, especially in the midst of so much economical prosperity, highest growth in the world, zero unemployment, blahdy blahdy blah.

Why are they out on their ears after saving us from the clutches of hell?

Because the proles can’t understand the long term, buddy.

The big picture doesn’t mean anything to them.

Just easy money,dude, hand outs and freebies, game the system.

Never occurs that someone has to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

looks like it going to have to be a FF/FG/Greens government or a FF/SF/Greens government.

Cant see how it is at all possible for a SF led coalition that does not include FF or FG, the numbers are not there.
    As much as I personally would love to see a government that doesnt include FF or FG I just cant see how it is at all possible.
    FF and FG would be looking for every opportunity to snipe from the opposition benches and bring down that government so there is absolutely no hope of a minority government.

Looks like the ball is firmly in Micheal Martins court as FF are the only party that features in any possible government with a majority.
    So will he be giving Mary Lou that call?
    Or will he have to form a government with FG?
    Eitherv way its something that Micheal Martin cant walk away from, despite his hollow rhetoric.

Of course he could go the the nuclear option and force another general election, but everyone knows that would result in SF gaining even more seats, but without the Independents losing seats it would still be hit and miss as to whether we could see a SF lead government unless significant numbers of Independents were willing to sign up to a SF government before hand

efanton wrote: »
    looks like it going to have to be a FF/FG/Greens government or a FF/SF/Greens government.

Cant see how it is at all possible for a SF led coalition that does not include FF or FG, the numbers are not there.
    As much as I personally would love to see a government that doesnt include FF or FG I just cant see how it is at all possible.
    FF and FG would be looking for every opportunity to snipe from the opposition benches and bring down that government so there is absolutely no hope of a minority government.

Looks like the ball is firmly in Micheal Martins court as FF are the only party that features in any possible government with a majority.
    So will he be giving Mary Lou that call?
    Or will he have to form a government with FG?
    Eitherv way its something that Micheal Martin cant walk away from, despite his hollow rhetoric.

Of course he could go the the nuclear option and force another general election, but everyone knows that would result in SF gaining even more seats, but without the Independents losing seats it would still be hit and miss as to whether we could see a SF lead government unless significant numbers of Independents were willing to sign up to a SF government before hand

Best option as I see it, force the Shinners out into the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,609 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can't believe Aidhin ó Ríordáin got back in.

All he done in the last few years was object to houses been built in his area.

Which obviously got him votes.

NIMBYism at its finest

He's gas.
    I'm 99% sure he supports needle exchange/injection centres but not in his area as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Go figure.

So you haven't a clue really but basically I suspect that you know what I say is correct SF haven't got the numbers but you persist in posting what only can be construed as bs .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Dudes, this was meant to be a time of great celebration for you all. SF have come of age (something their former armed wing denied to so many children) and were voted in on a platform of radical change.

Meanwhile the snooty fûcks of FG have been consigned to the back benches and people like Mary Mitchell O’Connor and Noel Rock have lost their seats.

But I sense this has backfired slightly on you all. You can almost smell the angst. What’s wrong?

Calling others clowns considering the amount of alcohol you admit to consuming is rich tbh.

That has to be the most irrelevant statement on this thread.
    A 'heap of clowns' are you call them vote SF because they are already suffering. How in a country with near full unemployment as FG were want to reminded during the campaign can the 25% who voted for SF be 'dole heads'

FF and FG would want to open their eyes really quick.

It's not all dole heads you are right, plenty of others who have zero understanding of economics etc either and can't see how bad much of SF's policy would be for the country. It's the same people who protested against water chargers, hardly a brain cell between the lot.

Rent freezes, tax increases for people who are doing half decent for themselves, taxing multinationals, reducing USC for lower earners etc etc all stupid and poorly thought out rubbish.

Dudes, this was meant to be a time of great celebration for you all. SF have come of age (something their former armed wing denied to so many children) and were voted in on a platform of radical change.

Meanwhile the snooty fûcks of FG have been consigned to the back benches and people like Mary Mitchell O’Connor and Noel Rock have lost their seats.

But I sense this has backfired slightly on you all. You can almost smell the angst. What’s wrong?

The FG 'snooty f***s' (men, always men) as you put it are out in full force with the sour grapes and spin. It's very juvenile and in some cases nasty. I guess Leo was wrong re: nastiness. All the while FF getting a free pass.

I disagree you feel justified in calling 24 % of the electorate who voted for SF for a myriad of reasons, clowns. I'm of the opinion that a person who consumes as much alcohol as you claim also be described as a clown although alcoholic maybe more appropriate.

The FG 'snooty f***s' (men, always men) as you put it are out in full force with the sour grapes and spin. It's very juvenile and in some cases nasty. I guess Leo was wrong re: nastiness. All the while FF getting a free pass.

No sour grapes at all. Bad result obviously, but the thinking now is the party needs a period to regroup, rejuvenate, and do some soul-searching about their role in the body politic of the Irish State. That will be done in opposition which is where the electorate have decided we belong for a while.

Left the place with a budget surplus and all those difficult social issue questions the other parties ignored out of the way. Now it’s time for change. I’m going to be taking a keen interest in how this progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's not all dole heads you are right, plenty of others who have zero understanding of economics etc either and can't see how bad much of SF's policy would be for the country. It's the same people who protested against water chargers, hardly a brain cell between the lot.

During the water protest SF got 14 seats, they have 37 now and could have had 45 but keep burying your head in the sand while you telling you're self it's the stupid, the unemployed and the wasters. As I said if FF and FG don't take a hard look at themselves and listen to what a lot of average people in this country told them they'll be out of office for years to come

I disagree you feel justified in calling 24 % of the electorate who voted for SF for a myriad of reasons, clowns. I'm of the opinion that a person who consumes as much alcohol as you claim also be described as a clown although alcoholic maybe more appropriate.

I don't know what you are basing this on but you are highly exaggerating anything I've said. It's also totally irrelevant as I said. Drinking does not make a person a clown, absolute nonsensical statement.

Best option as I see it, force the Shinners out into the open.

So you think the best option is allow SF point at both FF and FG and say 'we tried to form a government but neither of these two parties with similar numbers of seats would talk instead they forced a second election' .. Not a great narrative to allow the Shimmers have going into a second election.
    Btw they are out in the open all 37 of them.

No sour grapes at all. Bad result obviously, but the thinking now is the party needs a period to regroup, rejuvenate, and do some soul-searching about their role in the body politic of the Irish State. That will be done in opposition which is where the electorate have decided we belong for a while.

Left the place with a budget surplus and all those difficult social issue questions the other parties ignored out of the way. Now it’s time for change. I’m going to be taking a keen interest in how this progresses.

Are you ignoring or unaware of the Housing, homeless, health crises or do you not care? That's why FG are out.

• Advertisement

I don't know what you are basing this on but you are highly exaggerating anything I've said. It's also totally irrelevant as I said. Drinking does not make a person a clown, absolute nonsensical statement.

Not exaggerating anything I have seen plenty of posters suggest based on your comments on several threads that you have an alcohol problem. Now if you feel justified calling people 'clowns' because of a choice they make , I'm also justified in applying that label to choices you make that I disagree with. See how it works?
    Now I'll leave it at that.

Are you ignoring or unaware of the Housing, homeless, health crises or do you not care? That's why FG are out.

I’m aware of them and think some of them are very real issues that might have been tackled more effectively if we had more money to do so. However SF are now going to be in and may well take a radically different approach. As I said, I’m genuinely interested in seeing what parts of their extensive manifesto they intend to tackle first. New blood, fresh perspectives, and all that.

I’m aware of them and think some of them are very real issues that might have been tackled more effectively if we had more money to do so. However SF are now going to be in and may well take a radically different approach. As I said, I’m genuinely interested in seeing what parts of their extensive manifesto they intend to tackle first. New blood, fresh perspectives, and all that.

SF don't have the numbers to form a government so how will they be in ?

SF don't have the numbers to form a government so how will they be in ?

With FF and the Greens (maybe Labour and/or Soc Dems as well). It’s the only arrangement that makes sense, and the onus is on these parties to stop posturing ASAP and go about forming a government.

People voted for change and SF now have the opportunity to deliver it.

With FF and the Greens (maybe Labour and/or Soc Dems as well). It’s the only arrangement that makes sense, and the onus is on these parties to stop posturing ASAP and go about forming a government.

FF wouldn't go in with SF or offer opposition support , the Dublin FF TD's are vehemently against it. So it wouldn't happen as Martin will not risk splitting the party. Now be realistic how would a government be formed with the remaining parties you suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

listermint wrote: »
    Never said you were a member.

I asked where you happy with it .....
    I'm neither happy nor unhappy, it's how things are but waiting to see where it brings us, with great curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They are running scared, certainly their supporters on here are running scared. It was great shouting at the Ministers and the Taoiseach, great putting out an election manifesto that their most ardent follower on here has described as just a sales brochure, but actually doing something, taking up a Ministry and delivering some results, that is a whole different ball-game.

At the moment they look and sound like a young lad just out of county minor, called up to the senior hurling squad and being a frightened rabbit in training. And that is only the club training, wait until he actually makes county training.

Why do you think they are all trying to dream up schemes where they can have a second election or where FF and FG are forced to form a government, or where FF can be blamed for the failure to form a government? Fear. Real fear of being held to account for stupid impossible promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

FF wouldn't go in with SF or offer opposition support , the Dublin FF TD's are vehemently against it. So it wouldn't happen as Martin will not risk splitting the party. Now be realistic how would a government be formed with the remaining parties you suggested?

Jim O'Callaghan is angling for a job as Minister. Simple as, nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,215 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    They are running scared, certainly their supporters on here are running scared. It was great shouting at the Ministers and the Taoiseach, great putting out an election manifesto that their most ardent follower on here has described as just a sales brochure, but actually doing something, taking up a Ministry and delivering some results, that is a whole different ball-game.

At the moment they look and sound like a young lad just out of county minor, called up to the senior hurling squad and being a frightened rabbit in training. And that is only the club training, wait until he actually makes county training.

Why do you think they are all trying to dream up schemes where they can have a second election or where FF and FG are forced to form a government, or where FF can be blamed for the failure to form a government? Fear. Real fear of being held to account for stupid impossible promises.

That post is desperately desperately trying to rise a phoenix out of the ashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Many in FG are saying no to FF coalition and vice versa, the parties are totally split.

Advertisement