Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I don't like Sinn Fein. I will never vote for Sinn Fein. At the same time, it was Fianna Fail and Martin (a central figure at the time) who imploded our economy.

I am still aghast that Martin and his ilk have the temerity to seek election again. It's truly appalling.

MM, Eamon O Cuiv and Willie O Dea who were all cabinet ministers when the crash happened will, in all likelihood, be re elected for the 3rd time since then. People never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I don't like Sinn Fein. I will never vote for Sinn Fein. At the same time, it was Fianna Fail and Martin (a central figure at the time) who imploded our economy.

I am still aghast that Martin and his ilk have the temerity to seek election again. It's truly appalling.

People constantly trying to remind us of what SF/IRA did in the 80s but are happy to gloss over what FF did in the much more recent past.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't think I said that the Irish election poll is the same as Brexit at all really.

I said the MINDSET is the same. Rush to the barricades, never mind the consequences or the history, it will all be grand and our lives will improve exponentially tomorrow. Course it will.

But it won't and everyone knows it who has half a brain. SF is toxic, Brexit is toxic, those who voted SF and those who voted Brexit did so on an ideology not a thought through thing at all.Thinking something or some party will solve all your problems with idiotic policies is asking for trouble. But there we are. No thought given, follow the herd, be grand.

No brexit was voted on a dogmatic message of sovereignty. That someone else somewhere was ruling the population a foreign country.

This election was fought on housing, rental market, health.

It's got nothing to do with what you've said and all of the parties put out their stall on it which people looked at and voted for.

We don't have the same destructive media as the UK . We haven't had 40 years of anti EU bile.

The comparison is immature. You don't grasp the difference. It's your annoyance at a poll that is colouring your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nervous times for the people who get out of bed to work every morning.

Grim enough results.

If Sinn Fein ran 80 candidates they’d have romped home with a majority.

That's not how PR-STV works

sf wont get too many seats off that

but ff and fg will have to take note of the % 1st pref rise and the huge youth vote for them

and build some ****ing houses

so im happy enough with that tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Yeah probably the actual for 2020 is FF & FG on 24% and SF on 20%.

Bad result for FF after being ahead of FG by 12 points at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

One thing is for sure. When the dust has settled, Varadkar is gone as leader of FG. The members never wanted him as leader but the parliamentary party ignored them..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People who are now pensioners were told that buying investment properties was a way of saving for their retirement. This happened in earnest during the Bertie and Charlie McCreevy era. We now have the wealthiest pensioners in history and a lack of housing stock that would normally have traded hands between people who wanted to live in the house.

Not the only macro issue impacting affordability - move towards city living, attracting multinationals leads to inward migration of highly paid workers pushing out the traditional working class, pension funds investing in property etc.

Extremely complex issue and parties suggesting they have an easy fix is compete horseshït.
    Agreed, it's not an easy thing to solve. At the same time, I think the government can take some sort of action. I'd like to see a property tax on landowners who are hoarding zoned land, particularly in urban areas. I'd like to see an easing of planning regulations in urban areas on density. Dublin is a clear example of urban sprawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Feel a bit sickened I've been so financially sensible all my life, saving hard for a merger etc. If SF get into power I'll probably be taxed to the gills.

Nervous times for the people who get out of bed to work every morning.

Grim enough results.

If Sinn Fein ran 80 candidates they’d have romped home with a majority.
    They'll romp home if we have another (likely) election this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Right but what we can say for certain is that SF will make both health and housing worse.

Health - they will increase the already very high marginal tax rate, driving consultants and doctors out of the country

Housing - immediately, billions of investment in housing by investment funds will disappear if SF got in

We have no way of knowing what they'll do yet, because they're very unlikely to be able to form a government on their own. What we do know is that FFG won't fix these things because they've had decades in with to do it and they didn't think it important enough. Maybe SF can influence a new government into doing better. Anyone who thinks that parties say they'll do when they get into power is the same as what they actually do hasn't been paying attention. SF are known for playing "the long game". Perhaps that will extend to knowing they if they get into government in some form and and screw up, a terrible punishment will be at most five years away. And the reason SF are in this position is because of FFG's indifference towards its own citizens, and not voter stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

rdwight wrote: »
    2016 / 2016/ 2020
    exit/ actual/ exit

FG 24.8 / 25.5/ 22.4
    FF 21.1 / 24.3 / 22.2
    SF 16.0/ 13.8 / 22.3
    Lab 7.1 / 6.6/ 4.6
    GP 3.6/ 2.7/ 7.9

Interesting. So with the Green resurgence, it looks like some form of the recent governments should be the outcome again. Maybe even with a proper if slim majority, rather than a propped minority one.
    If the numbers translate as per the exit poll, Varadkar looking in a much healthier position tonight than many guessed. Possibly even strengthened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Hopefully that is a kick up the hole for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We have floating voters. Now, we finally have a viable 3rd option. No more FF or FG by default.
    Also it's a three way split. No clear landslide. You're just trying to insult people over your sour grapes. I'd suggest less FG and FF voters read their manifestos.

Personally I think Labour or Greens are a viable third option. People don't agree with me and that's fine but no I don't think SF won because their programme is that great. It was more or less the same a few years ago and they burned in local elections. It's a protest vote against establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

People constantly trying to remind us of what SF/IRA did in the 80s but are happy to gloss over what FF did in the much more recent past.

6 of one, half a dozen of another, people saying it's time to forget SF"s past and others saying don't forget FF's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Feel a bit sickened I've been so financially sensible all my life, saving hard for a merger etc. If SF get into power I'll probably be taxed to the gills.

You're already taxed to the gills dummy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

sf wont get too many seats off that

but ff and fg will have to take note of the % 1st pref rise and the huge youth vote for them

and build some ****ing houses

so im happy enough with that tbh

They'll at least double their seat numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    The current sinn fein candidates who are doing their best for their communities. Can't be held accountable for someone's actions before most of them were even born.
    That's not fair.
    You don't have to go back much further when founders of Fianna fail and fine Gael parties were involved in brutal acts.

I take it you're not in Dublin North West constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They'll romp home if we have another (likely) election this year.
    If they run enough candidates they will pick up a good lot more seats...let's see how tomorrow pans out first, not sure how transfer friendly SF are...

STB. wrote: »
    One thing is for sure. When the dust has settled, Varadkar is gone as leader of FG. The members never wanted him as leader but the parliamentary party ignored them..

It's not varadkar that's the problem. And if city members think it is theyre on a road to nothing.

It's the policies that are being dished out by party central.

Start owning your own ****e and not looking for a bag man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yurt! wrote: »
    You're already taxed to the gills dummy

Lol, true. Just taxed a bit more to it gills I suppose.. At least my area is in demand around the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Simply wrong.

The same way the DUP and ageing unionism is dying out in the north, so will FF and FG dominance. Change is coming and it is unreal to see. Hope everyone sleeps well and you rotten share in your later years in life who voted FF and FG because they kept your fat wallets healthy - have the blue scour all night.

But to those who are below 40 voting them in, Open your eyes. Or continue to live at home hearing the old pair riding each other every night. Brainless.

beidh ár dtalamh aontaithe arís

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They'll at least double their seat numbers!

SF have 22 seats and ran 42 candidates. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Right but what we can say for certain is that SF will make both health and housing worse.

Health - they will increase the already very high marginal tax rate, driving consultants and doctors out of the country

Housing - immediately, billions of investment in housing by investment funds will disappear if SF got in
    But if they get in they will have to dilute policies and probably have to deal with two parties on these figures

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Idbatterim wrote: »
    FG supporters , you can thank your own party for the sf surge !
    It's hard to disagree with this.

Like I said, I am a FG member. I have no idea who put forward the idea on an RIC commemoration, but whoever it is, they need to be expelled from the party. Even in FG - most people were against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Some people have no idea what went on in the north. Were the nationalist side supposed to drop their trousers bend over and take it from the brits? It was a war both sides done wrong get over it .

Mountbatten and his companions including two teenage boys were murdered at Mullaghmore, Where was this _war" ?

Lol, true. Just taxed a bit more to it gills I suppose.. At least my area is in demand around the world.

Your not going anywhere.

Despite your hand waving.

Gas to see people in lunacy mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

listermint wrote: »
    It's not varadkar that's the problem. And if city members think it is theyre on a road to nothing.

It's the policies that are being dished out by party central.

Start owning your own ****e and not looking for a bag man.

A lying fraud sociopath is a big part of their problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Don't mind the SF gains tbh though i didn't vote for them The other two need a kick up the arse. Too complacent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I most certainly do not. I fully appreciate it is there. Its the brainless expectation that their problems will be best solved by voting for SF that I have a problem with. They are not thinking it through. They are voting without realising the consequences. They are being suckered in to voting for something that will make their indeed squeezed and difficult situation worse not better.

But the folly of voting in the same civil war cartel is grand?

The same bunch of chancers that A. have them in a bind and B. continue to make things worse for them and C. have shown no indication of even being bothered to alleviate the situation.

I've never voted SF, but TBH, younger folk taking a punt on the Shinners makes more sense and seems less brainless than if they gave the same crowd that's screwing things up for them another go.

Advertisement