Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

jos28 wrote: »
    73 with everyone but FF/FG/GP ??

That's basically 10 short not factoring in that Labour are saying they are not interested and how would they bridge the gap between say the Greens and PBP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

73 with everyone but FF/FG/GP ??

There are several gene pool indos formally FG/FF they won't go in with SF.
    The numbers don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No date disclosed but they do it after an election where they lose. He'll be fine.
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/donohoe-leo-varadkar-will-continue-party-leader-964815

• Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure what type of policies would see all PBP TDs support a Govn't?

Water John wrote: »
    They live for opposition!

• Advertisement

Don’t know what your point is.

If a party has a manifesto which is totally at odds with yours, why would you have any interaction with them.

My friend, FG and FF have walked the walk, I have no great interest in FF but fair is fair, they took a huge hit in the Brexit negotiations.

Now this strategy put no money in anyone’s pocket, just secured the future and prevented our country being very seriously hit.

This of course did not resonate with the base support for SF, FF and FG got no kudos whatsoever from that.

So, I have no problem at all with a second election, the left have been sniping from the wings for years, promising everything from a populist point of view and now are bricking themselves as they have been forced from under their slates.

So, let’s see how they operate and who are those they hit to achieve their aim.

Let’s see if their tax policy hits their own support base.

Uhmmmm.......

Repeat after me.

The
    Left
    Don't
    Have
    The
    Numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Sorry, I phrased my last post incorrectly, I meant to include the GP in the mix with SF which = 85. I had the impression that Labour could be persuaded but even with that how could they ever achieve any form of unified policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

All this idle speculation is pointless, the election is over, you've all made your choice,

All together now,

Soldiers are we, whose lives are pledged to Ireland,
    Some have come from a land beyond the wave.
    Sworn to be free, no more our ancient sireland,
    Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
    Tonight we man the ‘bearna bhaoil’
    In Erin's cause, come woe or weal,
    'Mid cannons' roar and rifles peal,
    We'll chant a soldier's song.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Me neither Water, seems these dudes just want to be elected and ride high on the taxpayers back.

Unfortunately it would appear that a coterie of folk are taken in by these windbags and actually believe their cant and rhetoric.

Shure, if you want to do nothing to help yourself, why wouldn’t you support those who have the same ideals.

No Brainer for this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Repeat after me.

The
    Left
    Don't
    Have
    The
    Numbers
    That's a phrase we are going to hear a lot of over the next while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That is what made the whole 'Vote left, transfer left' thing so laughable.

Admittedly, it was a great hashtag for 'influencers' to spread their message, as it dumbed things down to a level that even an idiot could understand.

In practice however it is completely pointless due to completely ignoring how widely different 'the left' is on policy and how there are so many ideologue attention seekers that could never work together for any necessary period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

He must be fed up the CSO couldn't release these figures a week ago.

Sorry, I phrased my last post incorrectly, I meant to include the GP in the mix with SF which = 85. I had the impression that Labour could be persuaded but even with that how could they ever achieve any form of unified policies.

Labour has said it will not support SF.
    SF does not have the numbers on the left to form a government.
    The only real choice is SF/FF/Greens , FG/FF/Greens or another election with SF blaming FF)FG for causing another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,046 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So could Leo Varadkar and the current cabinet which stays in place until a new one is formed be making the paddy's day trips around the world ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

Some of the people who voted Sinn Fein will believe these houses went up since the election counts started

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So could Leo Varadkar and the current cabinet which stays in place until a new one is formed be making the paddy's day trips around the world ?
    Yep, although I'd say most of them won't happen, White House is the big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Labour has said it will not support SF.
    SF does not have the numbers on the left to form a government.
    The only real choice is SF/FF/Greens , FG/FF/Greens or another election with SF blaming FF)FG for causing another election.

Unless FF completely refuse to speak to SF, how will SF be able to spin it being other peoples fault (as usual)?

If SF show themselves as being incapable of making a deal with multiple parties on the left and the parties more in the centre then it is time for them to look in the mirror on their negotiation strategy.

Their history of acting like kids and sitting out in the north and london won't help them

Would it have made much difference in all honesty ? I mean if FG had got a few seats extra maybe and taken a few seats off the smaller parties and we might have a three way tie in seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You nicely skipped over SF having disastrous presidential, local, and euro elections since the last Dail. By the numbers of candidates they ran and the bonkers manifesto they also hadn't felt a dramatic increase in support on the doorsteps prior to the election being called.

The ones that have their heads in the sand are those that see this as the new normal and don't have concerns that a decent proportion of this vote was protest and can disappear as quickly as it arrived.

All those other elections are second-order elections as far as Irish voters are concerned.

The supposed lack of a doorstep response before the election is irrelevant: Sinn Féin had a very good election campaign and could have won more seats if they had been more confident.

I completely agree that this could be a temporary protest vote: too many SFers and their supporters are arrogantly assuming that this election result is the new normal. It's understable that they are crowing about the result and being cocky now, but they'd want to tone it down a bit very soon...

Business trips easy, these fcuking trips are gold for our country.

We have a great opportunity to project our country, and some tools can’t see the big picture.

Jeez...

• Advertisement

Unless FF completely refuse to speak to SF, how will SF be able to spin it being other peoples fault (as usual)?

If SF show themselves as being incapable of making a deal with multiple parties on the left and the parties more in the centre then it is time for them to look in the mirror on their negotiation strategy.

Their history of acting like kids and sitting out in the north and london won't help them

SF are actively trying to form a government they even have a negotiation team according to the news,

it's fairly obvious they can point at those that refused to talk as the cause of a new election.
    What part of the numbers don't exist on the left do you not understand? The parties in the centre FG/FF who have repeatedly stated they will not go in with SF.

Business trips easy, these fcuking trips are gold for our country.

We have a great opportunity to project our country, and some tools can’t see the big picture.

Jeez...

Right okay so no opinion on how long the government will take to form ?

Right okay so no opinion on how long the government will take to form ?

No easy, all I can say is it won’t be anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The seats aren't there for a left coalition. How many times do people need to be told that.

https://www.irishtimes.com/election2020/coalition-builder#/

Quite true. A rise of 14 seats for SF and people go dizzy and think Ireland wants a left government. It didnt vote for one.

Its almost as bad as the cant SF are putting out in a, repeat it often enough, and people will think its true : "the people voted for change". They did ??? WTF ??? 26 seats switched. That 26 seats out of 160 in the parliament.

Thats 84% of the country voted for the status quo !!!

But sure, When reason abandoned a quarter of the country, we shouldnt really expect a rational analysis of the results either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Rich Boy Barrett practically shat himself on live radio at the prospect of Government.

SF are actively trying to form a government they even have a negotiation team according to the news,

it's fairly obvious they can point at those that refused to talk as the cause of a new election.
    What part of the numbers don't exist on the left do you not understand? The parties in the centre FG/FF who have repeatedly stated they will not go in with SF.
    Not sure it would be wise to call out other parties, they stayed away from it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jim O'Callaghan was on Drivetime an hour ago. Highly agitated, whining about Venezuela and saying that even if FF did a U Turn and talked to SF, he wouldn't be part of it. Refused to say when the FF parliamentary party was meeting.

Doesn't sound like FF are willing to talk. Maybe they think another election in a few weeks will be different?

That is what made the whole 'Vote left, transfer left' thing so laughable.

Admittedly, it was a great hashtag for 'influencers' to spread their message, as it dumbed things down to a level that even an idiot could understand.

In practice however it is completely pointless due to completely ignoring how widely different 'the left' is on policy and how there are so many ideologue attention seekers that could never work together for any necessary period of time.

There plenty of room for the likes of SocDems, Labour and green to work together and even them and SF could find agreement on the big issues of the day. Health, housing and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep, although I'd say most of them won't happen, White House is the big deal.

When does his big pension kick in?
    March?

• Advertisement

Yes, they are, that’s what’s reported.

Eoin O’Broin
    Pearce Doherty
    Louise O Reilly

Are among those involved.

Well done, they are doing something.

Advertisement