Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Labour are the oldest party in the state. This is a fairly ridiculous comment

Last one to leave the north, (aside from SF who actually have representation up there too).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Its a case of those who wont be able to get what they want making all the noise, struggling to accept the reality, and trying to show that they are trying against the odds.
    And those who know they have it in the bag not needing to make noise for the sake of it, and being involved instead in lower key, real business of forming a government.

I get the impression that's what is happening in the background. I think that MM has been severely slapped by members of his party for back pedalling on Sunday. Are there FF/FG/GP negotiations going on quietly. MM will be happy with any combination so long as he gets to be Taoiseach - just my tuppence worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Last I've heard from him were his evasive interviews on Sunday. Has he clarified his position since then?

This may clarify things for MM.

https://extra.ie/2020/02/11/news/irish-news/micheal-martin-fianna-fail-revolt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I still believe if Martin wants to force through a deal with SF he will be able to. None of those TDs said they would refuse to serve in a FF-SF government, which is the only meaningful stand against such a deal if the leader is determined to push it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

jos28 wrote: »
    I get the impression that's what is happening in the background. I think that MM has been severely slapped by members of his party for back pedalling on Sunday. Are there FF/FG/GP negotiations going on quietly. MM will be happy with any combination so long as he gets to be Taoiseach - just my tuppence worth.
    The people who voted F.F
    F.G. and Greens have a mandate too.
    If S.F don't like this they can go back to junior hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

God only knows what the people in Brussels think now, they watched our back big time in the Brexit mess and we repay them by electing a bunch of scumbags to undo all that.

I still believe if Martin wants to force through a deal with SF he will be able to. None of those TDs said they would refuse to serve in a FF-SF government, which is the only meaningful stand against such a deal if the leader is determined to push it through.

That's exactly what they did say, their leader said it categorically on the major debates. As Jim O'Callaghan pointed out, they stood on the doorsteps of their constituents and told them they would NOT go into government with SF. MM risks a shove to remove him as leader if he doesn't adhere to his party principles.

Jack Chambers has, Jim O' has also refused to break his promise to his voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Could SF and the Green's come to an agreement tough especially on issues regarding carbon taxes, electric cars charging points, etc.

Not forgetting severe penalties for dumping waste from fuel laundering

Zetor19 wrote: »
    God only knows what the people in Brussels think now, they watched our back big time in the Brexit mess and we repay them by electing a bunch of scumbags to undo all that.

And everyone will be cool with the great wipeout crash FF?

• Advertisement

Get over yourself, if you are so concerned about Brussels I believe there are a few rentals free since the UK lads left. Dublin airport is fairly easy to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Labour are the oldest party in the state. This is a fairly ridiculous comment

Do you understand the difference between the words 'all' and 'most', the latter used in the post you quoted?

Look at the list of registered parties in Ireland, there is about a dozen left parties that have a scattering of seats at different levels. It is crazy that they can't solidify under one banner but that would require compromise, which they are generally incapable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Funny how many times FG mention about 'big boys'.. They are at best FF's cleaners, and it looks like that position is in jeopardy.
    They forget their own voters are watching them hide too, as they hope this government messes up, so they can come out of hiding and say "told you so..." - Yeah, big boys..
    They also seem to forget that this could be the norm from now on, so they will need to start playing ball soon, or face even less votes as their majority votes come from older people.
    Many SF voters have realised a long time ago for them things couldn't get any worse, so Fg should stop expecting this to change anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

And everyone will be cool with the great wipeout crash FF?

Not everyone. The more discerning and sophisticated, yes. The are the closest match to the wishes of the electorate available.

Can any of these newly elected thugs even read or write ? Honest question. Considering they never worked in a real job before they didn’t need it to draw the dole and commit crimes.

Roscommon's SF TD. What's your qualifications?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claire_Kerrane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Beaker Sheahan in the Indo is saying Mary Lou is going to put pressure on FF to go into government by presenting them with a ready made coalition of themselves, the Greens, and Soc Dems.

Ryan to get climate change, Shorthall for Health, and O’Broin for housing.

FG and Labour are happy to go into opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Jack Chambers is the perfect example of FF and FG blurred lines. He seems the perfect FG candidate.

Don't see it happening behind closed like that.

If they intend to go in with FG they'll also talk to SF. That will allow them to paint SF as having too many red lines and the only choice for the country is to go in with FG and GP. They need to paint SF as the bad guy or they'll get the blame for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

What about the scum that got elected like that no hoper in Clare, Dessie the bomber etc etc up the ra Cullinane.

Shadow Minster for Defence ?

What about the scum that got elected like that no hoper in Clare, Dessie the bomber etc etc up the ra Cullinane.

There’s a load of them that will have no hope of getting a sniff of a ministry. The plan will be to keep them hidden and avoid any bloopers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Maybe trade and commerce . Guns and drugs are a good trade these days I believe. Maybe this is where they plan raising finance for their ridiculous proposals. They have the expertise after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

There’s a load of them that will have no hope of getting a sniff of a ministry. The plan will be to keep them hidden and avoid any bloopers.

Pitty FG couldn't hide thiers

Although they tried

Beaker Sheahan in the Indo is saying Mary Lou is going to put pressure on FF to go into government by presenting them with a ready made coalition of themselves, the Greens, and Soc Dems.

That makes sense at a theoretical divide but that was never going to be the hard part.

All of those areas are going to have competing desires for funding to be successful, which is where I struggle to see how they'll agree to raise the necessary funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I would like the woman who doesn’t need to breathe Louise O’Reilly for health.

There would be a fair auld Batther up if herself and O’Headha went head to head.

The lettuce would have a lot of mayo on it.

limnam wrote: »
    Pitty FG couldn't hide thiers

Although they tried

Gone now, lads. Up to Mary Lou and her enforcers to keep the team marching to the same drum beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That's exactly what they did say, their leader said it categorically on the major debates. As Jim O'Callaghan pointed out, they stood on the doorsteps of their constituents and told them they would NOT go into government with SF. MM risks a shove to remove him as leader if he doesn't adhere to his party principles.

Did either of them say, specifically "If Micheal Martin forms a government with Sinn Fein, I will not serve in that government."? Just saying they're opposed to coalition with SF won't cut it if Martin is determined to force it through.

Possible that they have, I'm not following things that closely...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I would like the woman who doesn’t need to breathe Louise O’Reilly for health.

There would be a fair auld Batther up if herself and O’Headha went head to head.

The lettuce would have a lot of mayo on it.

Seriously, what does that kind of disparaging commentary do for you? What do you get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will be FF & FG along with the greens. There really is no other solution. Yeah people might not like Michael Martin but he will be the next taoiseach and most likely Coveney as taniste.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not doing a good job of that so far. I would have thought that if new SF were to be taken seriously then MLM should have issued strict party guidelines on any 'up the Ra'/triumphalist displays. Any sign of the old SF and you're out !
    The behaviour of Dessie Ellis and David Cullinane only served to show people that 'they' haven't gone away.

• Advertisement

Will be FF & FG along with the greens. There really is no other solution. Yeah people might not like Michael Martin but he will be the next taoiseach and most likely Coveney as taniste.

Such a government will cause a crash within a year or two. We wouldn't have the ghost estates problem though. Everybody homeless with no money to buy a pitchfork to fend off the roaming wolf packs, could be tricky.

Advertisement