Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Biggest thing that will keep them there for 5 years is self preservation.

5 years is a long time for houses to come online and health to improve. Even without Brexit issues, during the next Dail there will likely be another global economic downturn and at that point people won't be turning to SF's magic money tree, they'll be worrying about their jobs.

Its possible. The one I am looking for is whether the Labour party decides to hitch itself to that wagon. It could be a nothing to lose type roll of the dice. Heads they can catch any upturn and claim to have influence any left elements implemented - and there will have to be some, especially on the housing issue, tails they lose. But are effectively done and dusted if they stay as an obsolete opposition part that is no longer even the voice of the left crying in the wilderness. If I were Howlsie, I would go with the FF, FG ship come what may.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

So therefore the jury is still out with them, surely?
    If it was the Special Criminal Court they wouldn't have to worry about a jury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

buried wrote: »
    If it is a case of a FF - Green coalition government, then they better start to adhere to the demands of the younger cross section of voters who feel they are being totally left to be some sort of cannon fodder for continuation of mainstream economic policy to shaft them in the arse. This is what has resulted in the huge shift to SF. The older generation who continually voted for either FF or FG just because that's what they always did, or how their parents did or any of that sort of ridiculous sports team like support for a political party just for the sake of it, that is dying out, literally dying out. The younger generation won't do that sort of blind allegiance to one or the other, they'll pledge allegiance to whoever is visibly working for their interests. FG & FF didn't do it the last 9 years. That's why they got pushed into second and third place. If FF continue this particular trajectory of treating anyone under the age of 45 as economic cannon fodder, well, in the next election they will be wiped out for a long long time as the older generation will be even more less in number in 5 years time.

That's my point.

They will refocus priorities and listen to the electorate.
    Anything other than this would be political suicide.
    They've been given one chance to put it right. (FF / FG / GREEN is this one chance)

The electorate wanted change, and they will get it.
    It's really not about SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Their TDs (some) do look very green alright, but they don't have a majority or close to one.

Their senior TDs will be the ones in positions

Problem for SF is that if their handful of seemingly competent people are in jobs then who is doing all the other media that is required for a governing party and what sort of issues will they cause?

It is all easy throwing bombs at others from the sidelines but a completely different story when defending hard choices or taking the blame for mistakes nameless civil servants. Usual Sinn Fein tactics won't work for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Which is what the SF voters around here actually want. They want FG back in power. An astonishing loss of face to be honest. Terrified of the prospect of government. Barstool republicans.

‘These are my principles. If you don’t like them I have others’ springs to mind as an apt quote.

Complete B0ll0x and you know it.

If this is the FG view point then here's a proportion that Mary Lou would jump at.

SF forms a minority government with an agreement that FG not force or support a general election within 3 years through a confidence motion.

Would you support that?

• Advertisement

Still not seeing how any of you can declare this with confidence until Martin declares his hand. According to Paddy Power, the four most likely options for the next government involve FF & SF. Can we be sure the bookies have got this so drastically wrong?

He declared it many times. Then, yes, gave the merest hint of a wobble. But you have to see the overall context. FF will no do a deal with SF. Even if MM were still ruling the option out categorically, some would not accept it - they would just move their line of denial to one of 'well, FF will replace him as leader, and then do a deal'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Which is what the SF voters around here actually want. They want FG back in power. An astonishing loss of face to be honest. Terrified of the prospect of government. Barstool republicans.

‘These are my principles. If you don’t like them I have others’ springs to mind as an apt quote.

I haven't read a single SF voter in here saying that they would like FG in power, have you any links? I would like to know their reasoning.

Unless you are reading responses from posters to you, mirroring the boll*cks you have been spouting since the meltdown. After some thinking and talking amongst each other, FG came back with the 'brainstorm' that FG should try and push SF into forming a government quickly, because the public voted them in/FG out.. Which is also their reasoning for ignoring the 22% or 23% that voted them in.. and staying on the sidelines/running away.

Jesus, it's like reading a 5 year olds school essay. Genius plan from the 'big boys'/'senior hurlers' :D:D:D PMSL..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If FG and Lab end up in opposition at least they can't rubber stamp any sweet deals at a loss to the tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Reality has set in. I don’t want a bunch of scumbags in power . Imagine the holy show they would make of the country trying to do trade deals etc
    We as part of the EU cannot do trade deals on our own. This is a restriction on whoever is in government. You still going to double down on the BS I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He declared it many times. Then, yes, gave the merest hint of a wobble. But you have to see the overall context. FF will no do a deal with SF. Even if MM were still ruling the option out categorically, some would not accept it - they would just move their line of denial to one of 'well, FF will replace him as leader, and then do a deal'.

But if Martin had simply reiterated the party line re SF on Sunday nobody would be paying any heed to the O'Cuivs and McGuinesses. Until he comes out and does that we're still in limbo AFAICS...

• Advertisement

Fair enough that girl in Roscommon no problem, what about the ones that are nothing short of thugs?

Why don't you do some research instead of making an absolute idiot of yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,576 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The yoke in Clare owes thousands of unpaid rent her partner is a drug dealer. Dessie Ellis well......,. Up the ra Cullinane. The one in Kildare pissed off on holidays came home elected never even tried. It was a protest vote that went too far and now we are ****ed big time .

relax, sf arent in government yet, and may not make it there at all, even if they get in, they ll be lucky to implement half of their manifesto

The yoke in Clare owes thousands of unpaid rent her partner is a drug dealer. Dessie Ellis well......,. Up the ra Cullinane. The one in Kildare pissed off on holidays came home elected never even tried. It was a protest vote that went too far and now we are ****ed big time .

As I told you Dublin airport has good transport links, nothing stopping you. Off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Well if that's what you really think then just remember they're still better than fine Gael.

Thought RTE and the media were running a smear campaign against sf according to yourself over the last few weeks of your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That must have been Zetor 18

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

efanton wrote: »
    Complete B0ll0x and you know it.

If this is the FG view point then here's a proportion that Mary Lou would jump at.

SF forms a minority government with an agreement that FG not force or support a general election within 3 years through a confidence motion.

Would you support that?

No. Why would I when there’s a perfectly valid coalition available which includes the parties who were given a mandate for change - SF, Greens, Soc Dems. People don’t want FG involved in government. We need to respect the wishes of the people.

SF now need to represent these people and enter government. Shouting from the sidelines isn’t going to cut the mustard.

I just said it was a protest vote that went too far. Most of the scummers elected were never heard of, couldn’t even get a few dozen votes in the local elections a few months ago. And I would get a one way ticket but unfortunately it’s not possible so I’m going have to stay working and have half my pay go to anto on the dole in his Celtic jersey .
    Half your pay? You don't lose half your pay in tax. Your trolling is pathetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Half your pay? You don't lose half your pay in tax. Your trolling is pathetic.

V.A.T?

No. Why would I when there’s a perfectly valid coalition available which includes the parties who were given a mandate for change - SF, Greens, Soc Dems. People don’t want FG involved in government. We need to respect the wishes of the people.

SF now need to represent these people and enter government. Shouting from the sidelines isn’t going to cut the mustard.

No party was given a mandate. 159 TDs were elected, only.

The wishes of the people kept 132 seats as they were. 26 movers is not an earthquake of change. Rather, its a strong vote for the status quo.

Not sure if you are one of those peddling the change illusion Johnny, or you have been actually taken in by it.

• Advertisement

Johnny I know you're not an idiot but SF or any other party cannot form a government without the numbers. The numbers in the parties you have mentioned just don't stack up. 54 based on your suggestion. Just 26 seats short. 20% of the voters voted for FG I assume on the basis they would be in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Johnny I know you're not an idiot but SF or any other party cannot form a government without the numbers. The numbers in the parties you have mentioned just don't stack up. 54 based on your suggestion. Just 26 seats short. 20% of the voters voted for FG I assume on the basis they would be in government.

I meant with FF. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. SF, Greens and Soc Dems would have far more seats than FF and could use that to implement the radical change people voted for.

The will of the people needs to be respected, and SF have been given a huge vote by people who were won over by their manifesto and story of change. People don’t want more of the same. They rejected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

FF are the ultimate, pragmatic party. If it can fly at all, they'll go with it. All about power.

I meant with FF. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. SF, Greens and Soc Dems would have far more seats than FF and could use that to implement the radical change people voted for.

The will of the people needs to be respected, and SF have been given a huge vote by people who were won over by their manifesto and story of change. People don’t want more of the same. They rejected that.

You may have missed this but FF are adamant they are not going into government with SF. That huge vote is two seats more than FG and one less than FF.
    Now read the above again. Any big words let me know and I 'll try to break it down in a simpler manner for you.
    The numbers don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If it's the will of the people then why are there almost twice as many FG and FF TDs than SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

If it's the will of the people then why are there almost twice as many FG and FF TDs than SF?

Because SF did not run enough candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Now the election is over harris is allowed back on the tele

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

campo wrote: »
    Because SF did not run enough candidates.

SF got 24.5% of vote......so 3 out of 4 people did not vote for SF.

SF will get a couple of weeks to mess around, made look like fools as they realise the maths doesn't work out......before the FF/FG/Greens coalition is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

SF got 24.5% of vote......so 3 out of 4 people did not vote for SF.

SF will get a couple of weeks to mess around, made look like fools as they realise the maths doesn't work out......before the FF/FG/Greens coalition is announced.

Fingers crossed that you are right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

jos28 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed that you are right

They couldn't implement their policies of they have to satisfy the shopping list of a dozen independent TDs...

Advertisement