Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

campo wrote: »
    SF/Greens/SD/People before profit also got over 50% so they have a mandate and since SF got majority of 1st preference vote they even have more of a mandate.

FF lost the election & it is time for some to move on

SF/Greens/SD/PBP doesn't translate into 80 seats the other combination does and that is what is needed to form a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

Its time to move on from trying to bend reality to fit something that didnt happen. FF didnt lose the election. Nobody voted for the slash grouping 'SF/Greens/SD/People before profit' - they are not a party, they didnt not achieve a majority, so they have no mandate as group.
    SF delusionals are coming out here as as dim as voting for them suggests in the first place.

The fact that the Sinn Fein negotiating team thought that talking to Richard Boyd Barrett should be their first priority speaks volumes. Even RBB says there's no point in talking to them as they don't have the numbers to make a leftists government. At least make the biggest part of the potential coalition the priority, the Greens.
    Anyway it's all bluster until they talk to FF. It's the only game in town for SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

SF/Greens/SD/PBP doesn't translate into 80 seats the other combination does and that is what is needed to form a government.

Oh did not realise that the last government were on 80 seats :rolleyes:

Oh did not realise that the last government were on 80 seats :rolleyes:

Confidence and supply with FF btw your grasp of figures is atrocious. SF/GP/SD/PBP does not equal 50% of the vote.

To be honest, I reckon the people that voted SF just wanted to scream loud and be heard. They’ve gotten that now with the election and all the up the ra stuff coming out.

Now let’s get a proper, mature government formed.

• Advertisement

Confidence and supply with FF btw your grasp of figures is atrocious. SF/GP/SD/PBP does not equal 50% of the vote.

I am sure Mary Lou can get enough seats to look for C & S, personally I think best way forward is to have another election where SF can run more seats and have election packs with other parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

threeball wrote: »
    The fact that the Sinn Fein negotiating team thought that talking to Richard Boyd Barrett should be their first priority speaks volumes. Even RBB says there's no point in talking to them as they don't have the numbers to make a leftists government. At least make the biggest part of the potential coalition the priority, the Greens.
    Anyway it's all bluster until they talk to FF. It's the only game in town for SF.

Martin won't deal with SF as stated many times so the only viable option right now is the grand coalition of FFG and the greens.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

To be honest, I reckon the people that voted SF just wanted to scream loud and be heard. They’ve gotten that now with the election and all the up the ra stuff coming out.

Yep ignore the will of the people that is democracy for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching Prime Time here and it's blatantly obvious that SF's grand coalition of the left wouldn't last a month.

I am sure Mary Lou can get enough seats to look for C & S, personally I think best way forward is to have another election where SF can run more seats and have election packs with other parties.

Confidence and supply off who? It would need to be either FG or FF it won't work any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think FF will run scared of hooking up with SF at the end of the day. Two Republican parties whoa, who will be the best! + need others on the left to get it over the 80 needed.

On the other hand.... well you don't need me to spell it out.

Stability is needed. Despite the fact that Brexit was not an election issue, it will be important going forward and we really do need to be represented well on that front. No offence to SF, but who would you think would be good at dealing with British intransigence re Brexit? And I do realise the Trade negotiations will be undertaken by Barnier, Hogan and the Commission on behalf of all in the EU. But we have to be careful here I think and not shoot our mouths off either.

Steady as she goes.

And in the next breath, FF expose the split in the party over the idea of a coalition with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭FreeThePants

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Watching Prime Time here and it's blatantly obvious that SF's grand coalition of the left wouldn't last a month.
    Ah now, while that may be possible, it wasn't even a week ago that you were predicting SF tanking at this election. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

And in the next breath, FF expose the split in the party over the idea of a coalition with SF.

But realistically if they get portfolios and a FF Taoiseach will they care in the end.

I hope FF do not do a deal with SF. And on reflection I doubt they will. They have spent four years with FG in C+S and will now have a FF Taoiseach if they go down the FF FG + route without SF on their back or indeed their voters.

Seems like a no brainer to me anyway.

Ah now, while that may be possible, it wasn't even a week ago that you were predicting SF tanking at this election. ;)

Yep, I didn't think this scenario would happen. How many people truly want SF in power vs voted as a protest vote is unclear.
    Equally given the fact that the overall turnout was very low, how many presumed that "it'll be grand" and FF and FG would swap places and didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Jizique wrote: »
    Here we go with “the will of the people” - the SF brigade are just like their UKIP brethren with their nativist flag waving and “up the ra” instead of “two world wars and one World Cup”; the same working class support base as well
    The person you are quoting in that post makes it funnier.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

You've made it here, I watched all the debates and never heard anyone claim you can build a house for 65k. So once again linky please or I can assume you are spoofing.

Page 63 of the Sinn Fein manifesto.
    "Provide an additional €6.5 billion in order to deliver over 100,000 public homes on public land to meet social and affordable housing needs"

6.5b/100k = 65000

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I think you don't understand the level of anger with FFG's track record on housing and health.
    This issue is not going away. It will be more SF unless there's genuine change.

No more empty promises from FFG.

Lord Ross on now. Interesting problem there. He's lost his seat but remains transport minister until a government is formed.

Also, I'd be worried he (and the rest) will try and railroad through some last minute legislation in the interim. From what I've read there's no legal obstacle to that.

I think you don't understand the level of anger with FFG's track record on housing and health.
    This issue is not going away. It will be more SF unless there's genuine change.

No more empty promises from FFG.

I very much doubt this looney left coalition will even last a few months together. People will quickly forgive FF/FG then.

• Advertisement

Yep ignore the will of the people that is democracy for sure.

24% of the people...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I very much doubt this looney left coalition will even last a few months together. People will quickly forgive FF/FG then.

I don't think anyone expects it to last, in fact it would be in SF interest not to go into government at all. The need to appear to try.

Next election I could see SF on 60+ seats with the greens and maybe a few others they will have a government for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lord Ross on now. Interesting problem there. He's lost his seat but remains transport minister until a government is formed.

Also, I'd be worried he (and the rest) will try and railroad through some last minute legislation in the interim. From what I've read there's no legal obstacle to that.

You can't put legislation though when the houses of the oireachtas are not sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ross has a good ‘muck and bullets’ book in him I’d imagine about his time in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Jizique wrote: »
    The lower the educational level, the likelier one was to vote for Brexit

How would a highly educated person have voted? If we had a country full of highly educated people, who would we be looking forward to seeing in government now?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

All the left parties should try to join up. If people had one legitimate left party to vote for as opposed to SF with all their controversy it would be better.

I refuse to believe that 24% of people in this country voted for 'Up the RA' !!

If SF was a legitimate party then the Waterford TD would have been removed from the party immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

deisedevil wrote: »
    How would a highly educated person have voted? If we had a country full of highly educated people, who would we be looking forward to seeing in government now?

We do have a highly educated population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

deisedevil wrote: »

70%FG, 10%FF, 10GR, 5%Lab, 5%SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I refuse to believe that 24% of people in this country voted for 'Up the RA' !!

They didnt. They didnt realise they were voting for Up the RA. They tought they were voting for a legitimate party. Now it must be said, most of them probably would have just protested their vote elsewhere, not aware that it was in their best interest to vote for FG or FF, and would inflicted more of the Independents scourge on the country. Others would have gone greens or SDs which would have been manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

elperello wrote: »
    We do have a highly educated population.

The quote I replied to had responded to the following: "Like Brexit, the SF support came from all demographics and age groups.
    Carry on sucking those lemons however.
    It makes for enjoyable reading."

They were implying that the brexit was voted for mostly by idiots and that the same has happened here with SF.

So I'm genuinely wondering, if you took the idiots out of the equation, what kind of a government would we have? Because at the minute there seems to be a lot of sneering at those who voted for SF.

Advertisement