Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

Housing is small fry in comparison to the damage their plans for business will do to this country. Increasing the prsi to 15.7% as proposed will close down half the small businesses in the country. When people cry about business making huge profits it's only a handful of companies. The vast majority are small businesses surviving month to month making not much more than a wage. These would be decimated by such a stupid move.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

They didnt. They didnt realise they were voting for Up the RA. They tought they were voting for a legitimate party. Now it must be said, most of them probably would have just protested their vote elsewhere, not aware that it was in their best interest to vote for FG or FF, and would inflicted more of the Independents scourge on the country. Others would have gone greens or SDs which would have been manageable.

FG and FF aren't left. They're not the change people wanted which goes back to my point....no legitimate left party.

Labour are on their knees. All others are so small. They should all join up .

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

They didnt. They didnt realise they were voting for Up the RA. They tought they were voting for a legitimate party. Now it must be said, most of them probably would have just protested their vote elsewhere, not aware that it was in their best interest to vote for FG or FF, and would inflicted more of the Independents scourge on the country. Others would have gone greens or SDs which would have been manageable.

FG and FF aren't left. They're not the change people wanted which goes back to my point....no legitimate left party.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

threeball wrote: »
    Housing is small fry in comparison to the damage their plans for business will do to this country. Increasing the prsi to 15.7% as proposed will close down half the small businesses in the country. When people cry about business making huge profits it's only a handful of companies. The vast majority are small businesses surviving month to month making not much more than a wage. These would be decimated by such a stupid move.

Do you rent or have a mortgage?

Labour or the greens could have delivered the change people wanted without the batsh1t proposals or dodgy history. Instead they just went mental and voted for a party that really only exists in order to create a united Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Aspirational idiots. Ah but sure Up the RA, even in Cavan ye gods where Pauline Tully (ex) wife of of Pearse McAuley who beat her to a pulp and was convicted and jailed for the murder of Gerry McCabe was elected. Sickening to me anyway.

From IT...

Ms Tully met McCauley while he was in prison for the crime, and he was granted temporary release to marry her in 2003.

During the campaign, a video emerged of one of her campaign vans apparently playing the Wolfe Tones song Celtic Symphony, which contains the line “ooh, ah, up the ‘Ra”. She has suggested that the video may have been faked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

deisedevil wrote: »
    The quote I replied to had responded to the following: "Like Brexit, the SF support came from all demographics and age groups.
    Carry on sucking those lemons however.
    It makes for enjoyable reading."

They were implying that the brexit was voted for mostly by idiots and that the same has happened here with SF.

So I'm genuinely wondering, if you took the idiots out of the equation, what kind of a government would we have? Because at the minute there seems to be a lot of sneering at those who voted for SF.

Sorry if I seemed snippy but this thread moves so fast.

My point is that we are up high in international tables for educational attainment.

I wouldn't say people who voted SF are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Plenty of left options - they are just all declined. The left has been through that process before - they all join up, but still really get nowhere. Ireland just does want left in significant enough numbers. Left is effectively the permanant opposition. It doesnt really matter whether they are 4 parties or 1. In fact, 4 probably allows them make a little more noise beyond their true numbers.

Do you rent or have a mortgage?

I rent and will move to a mortgage shortly hopefully but I won't have a job if SF proposals are implemented. It will be the death knell for rural Ireland. There's no Intel's, Google's or Facebook's down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

elperello wrote: »
    Sorry if I seemed snippy but this thread moves so fast.

My point is that we are up high in international tables for educational attainment.

I wouldn't say people who voted SF are stupid.

Some of them in Kildare might have developed a small bit of stupidity. The gave the SF candidate 4,000 votes in 2016. She went on holidays this time during the campaign. Out of sympathy they gave her 10,000 votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I rent and will move to a mortgage shortly hopefully but I won't have a job if SF proposals are implemented. It will be the death knell for rural Ireland. There's no Intel's, Google's or Facebook's down here.

And there wont be them anywhere if SF go too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Trade deal with who, are you for real? We have to do our own canvassing to get deals in the future and I have a feeling Europe will be telling us to go to hell pretty soon after what we have done now.

So your posts up until now we're all pro SF with bullish comments, insults against everyone including rte, Denis O'Brien and Newstalk, and since yesterday when the numbers become clear your "SF scum" and dole scrounge that?

Riiiiiiigjht. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

How will SF do that? Does it mention they will server ties with multinationals in their manifesto?

So I have good news for you.

It' 15.75% rate of employer’s PRSI on portion of salaries
    over €100,000

Not so bad when you read the fine print. Also since you are soon to be a mortgage holder. SF will also

Make it illegal for banks to sell homes to vulture funds without the consent
    of the mortgage-holder, by making our No Consent, No Sale Bill law

Lots of more good stuff in the manifesto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ceegee wrote: »
    Page 63 of the Sinn Fein manifesto.
    "Provide an additional €6.5 billion in order to deliver over 100,000 public homes on public land to meet social and affordable housing needs"

6.5b/100k = 65000

Additional on top of what was committed, so an allocation of extra funding.

Yes but that might take a while. I'm talking within a month or two the small employers up and down the country will throw their hat at it. They are under huge pressure as it stands to pay wages, insurance cost, prsi, keep up to date with a all certifications, gdpr etc. You treble prsi and you'll have mass unemployment. Unless you work for a company that turns serious profit people should seriously consider not voting SF in a rerun if they value their job.

Some of them in Kildare might have developed a small bit of stupidity. The gave the SF candidate 4,000 votes in 2016. She went on holidays this time during the campaign. Out of sympathy they gave her 10,000 votes.

Yes that's a strange one all right.

"Provide an additional €6.5 billion in order to deliver over 100,000 public homes on public land to meet social and affordable housing needs"

6.5b/100k = 65000

You need to reread your own quote, redo your sums and come back and say you made a booboo chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

6.5b/100k = 65000

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/election-2020-is-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-housing-policy-credible-1.4163859

Have a read, I'm not a Sinn Fein fan but at least know what they are claiming and how they claim to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Lord Ross on now. Interesting problem there. He's lost his seat but remains transport minister until a government is formed.

Also, I'd be worried he (and the rest) will try and railroad through some last minute legislation in the interim. From what I've read there's no legal obstacle to that.

He's writing a book about his time in politics.

Coming to a Dealz near you soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

seannash wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/election-2020-is-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-housing-policy-credible-1.4163859

Have a read, I'm not a Sinn Fein fan but at least know what they are claiming and how they claim to do it.

From your link.

"However, like many manifesto promises, its delivery would be contingent on some rosy assumptions, and a dash of magical thinking to get around some pretty serious logistical hurdles. Whether the plan could survive contact with the real world remains to be seen"

"Is it possible? In the words of one property developer (who, it must be conceded, is far from a Sinn Féin voter): “It’s possible, but it’s highly f***in’ improbable.”

elperello wrote: »
    Yes that's a strange one all right.

Sinn Fein will need to be smart enough to realise that they only have a loan of a lot of votes. Before Bertie's Tiger was found drowned in a pothole in Cavan, they kept FF in power for 14 years. Then they turned to FG and Labour in 2011, 76 and 37 seats. When they did not revive the Tiger, they gave Micheál a mini revival in 2016.

Unless SF gives us, and especially the pensioners another Tiger, they will be in for the same high jump as Labour got.

So I have good news for you.

It' 15.75% rate of employer’s PRSI on portion of salaries
    over €100,000

Not so bad when you read the fine print. Also since you are soon to be a mortgage holder. SF will also

Make it illegal for banks to sell homes to vulture funds without the consent
    of the mortgage-holder, by making our No Consent, No Sale Bill law

Lots of more good stuff in the manifesto.

So what happens when I default on my mortgage? I just get to sit there like a squatter and what. That worked great last time didn't it. If you don't pay you mortgage, your car loan, whatever you deserve to lose it. Any debt you have in business or personal life should be serviced. If not, tough. Stay within your means. That policy is just a licence for people to overstretch and default and then we all take the hit.

From your link.

"However, like many manifesto promises, its delivery would be contingent on some rosy assumptions, and a dash of magical thinking to get around some pretty serious logistical hurdles. Whether the plan could survive contact with the real world remains to be seen"

"Is it possible? In the words of one property developer (who, it must be conceded, is far from a Sinn Féin voter): “It’s possible, but it’s highly f***in’ improbable.”

Jingle in all fairness you proved beyond all reasonable doubt yesterday that you don't look any further beyond glossy headlines when you mistook SF raising "inheritance tax" BY 3% up to 36% - when you posted they were raising it FROM 3% TO 36% :D

Bit late coming back trying to poke holes in the shinners sums now horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

So what happens when I default on my mortgage? I just get to sit there like a squatter and what. That worked great last time didn't it. If you don't pay you mortgage, your car loan, whatever you deserve to lose it. Any debt you have in business or personal life should be serviced. If not, tough. Stay within your means. That policy is just a licence for people to overstretch and default and then we all take the hit.

That is why we have the highest mortgage rates in Europe

Sinn Fein will need to be smart enough to realise that they only have a loan of a lot of votes. Before Bertie's Tiger was found drowned in a pothole in Cavan, they kept FF in power for 14 years. Then they turned to FG and Labour in 2011, 76 and 37 seats. When they did not revive the Tiger, they gave Micheál a mini revival in 2016.

Unless SF gives us, and especially the pensioners another Tiger, they will be in for the same high jump as Labour got.

Yes, we haven't had a single party majority Government for almost 40 years.

Things can change rapidly especially as the big two are now three.

I heard a rumour today that the Teflon man is doing some behind the scenes mediating between FF and SF in an attempt to tease out a deal and get them to sit down and try and thrash out a deal with each other.

He had a fair bit of experience of that in the north in the late 90s so wouldn't be a stranger to it.

In saying that though, I'm still hoping for a Fg/FF merger or coalition and the shinners as the main opposition party - as has been my stance since the election was called.

If the shinners get the main opposition gig, FG and FF will devour each other in govt, and it would surely spell the beginning of the end of one of them.

Jizique wrote: »
    That is why we have the highest mortgage rates in Europe

My point exactly. All these costs for carrying the people who pay for nothing get passed back. I know of a few people who intentionally defaulted because they knew nothing would really happen to them. Now SF want to make it policy. It's nuts stuff but people only look at the headline and go jaysus that's great.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I heard a rumour today that the Teflon man is doing some behind the scenes mediating between FF and SF in an attempt to tease out a deal and get them to sit down and try and thrash out a deal with each other.

He had a fair bit of experience of that in the north in the late 90s so wouldn't be a stranger to it.

In saying that though, I'm still hoping for a Fg/FF merger or coalition and the shinners as the main opposition party - as has been my stance since the election was called.

If the shinners get the main opposition gig, FG and FF will devour each other in govt, and it would surely spell the beginning of the end of one of them.

That doesn't sound much like the Change we were promised.

• Advertisement

You only get to agree not to have the bank sell your morgage to a vulture fund. You still need to pay your mortgage (to the bank). The courts decide bankruptcy cases not SF policy.

However people can be very well intentioned and still default. Financial default applies to individual's and business. In society we value the risk business take on to employ people, hence the LTD post fix (limited liability)
    risk is a part of life but I don't see much risk, hopefully we wont ever have another FF government in power.
    If FF get elected, sell your house and run for the hills.

Advertisement