Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

listermint wrote: »
    No argument here.

I think they just see the only way to make a change is by being in power.

It's an Eamonn Ryan Green Party, not a Saoirse McHugh one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It's hilarious to see the shinners who for years whinged about government now terrified to actually form a government. Seems they're much more comfortable shouting from the sidelines.

Like an overweight bearded man swallowing pints at a six Nations match suddenly finding himself being asked to step on to the pitch. Suddenly he's not so sure he knows what he wants to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They want to be in opposition but they'll badly let down the country if they leave us with an unstable or no govt.

I think you'll find it's the electorate to blame for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

listermint wrote: »
    Alot of talk in here about FF FG and the greens. Evidently people don't understand this isn't the green party of even 5 years ago.

Their candidates are ramped up on global change. If anyone thinks they'll just walk into coalition without demanding major scalps then they haven't a notion about what's going on

Remember what Harney said to Gormley. " one day in power is better than a year in opposition"
    The Greens can compromise on carbon tax but can still progress a lot of non financial impacting policies.
    A couple of ministries, Senate appointments etc will ease their conscience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

FG ironically find themselves in the strongest position, they can step back and respect the will of the people, who have clearly said they want them out of Govt.

SF, as MLM said, 'won' the election, up to her now to do a deal with FF and the Greens. No doubt her negotiating skills, which the country will need during the Brexit trade talks, will stand her in good stead.

Time for SF to cut the bull, easy to shout and roar from the sidelines, lets see them enact their fantasy policies in the real world. People need a wake-up call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

Edgware wrote: »
    Remember what Harney said to Gormley. " one day in power is better than a year in opposition"
    The Greens can compromise on carbon tax but can still progress a lot of non financial impacting policies.
    A couple of ministries, Senate appointments etc will ease their conscience

Carbon tax won't be reversed. It's one of the only policies that's forcing people to change the way they operate in relation to environmental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pragmatism will pull them all back into line. Reality of going back on the stomp will hit them all and wake them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lets see them enact their fantasy policies in the real world.

Their policies will hurt a lot of people. But I agree if that is the price of people learning then so be it, sad as it is.

Prepare for upsurge in homelessness with rent controls. It's going to be really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Zetor19 wrote: »
    God only knows what the people in Brussels think now, they watched our back big time in the Brexit mess and we repay them by electing a bunch of scumbags to undo all that.
    Ah now... I know they bankrupted the country before but FF aren't that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's hilarious to see the shinners who for years whinged about government now terrified to actually form a government. Seems they're much more comfortable shouting from the sidelines.

Like an overweight bearded man swallowing pints at a six Nations match suddenly finding himself being asked to step on to the pitch. Suddenly he's not so sure he knows what he wants to do.

"terrified to actually form a government" lol can you not count? The numbers don't add up.

Some amount of nonsense in here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

FG ironically find themselves in the strongest position, they can step back and respect the will of the people, who have clearly said they want them out of Govt.

SF, as MLM said, 'won' the election, up to her now to do a deal with FF and the Greens. No doubt her negotiating skills, which the country will need during the Brexit trade talks, will stand her in good stead.

Time for SF to cut the bull, easy to shout and roar from the sidelines, lets see them enact their fantasy policies in the real world. People need a wake-up call.

If Regina Doherty and Mary Mitchell O’Connor had held on their seats then things might have been very different. Two of the FG politicians who were subject to unusual amounts of ‘shade’ around here by the all-day men (always men). Not that there’s any link of course.

Anyways, looking like the best bad election for FG ever. Time to retire to the opposition benches and let FF, SF, Greens, Soc Dems sort things out. The extremely complex issue of rough sleepers was made a political football so I feel that’s a bell weather issue that must be sorted almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'd actually like another election and SF the largest party with the numbers to govern.

I'm excited to see this "change" they all can't stop talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If Regina Doherty and Mary Mitchell O’Connor had held on their seats then things might have been very different. Two of the FG politicians who were subject to unusual amounts of ‘shade’ around here by the all-day men (always men). Not that there’s any link of course.

Anyways, looking like the best bad election for FG ever. Time to retire to the opposition benches and let FF, SF, Greens, Soc Dems sort things out. The extremely complex issue of rough sleepers was made a political football so I feel that’s a bell weather issue that must be sorted almost immediately.

In other words you could have just quoted Cartman "Screw you guys, I'm going home" .Sums up the behaviour of FG since Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

"terrified to actually form a government" lol can you not count? The numbers don't add up.

Agreed. People posting in current affairs/political threads and not knowing the figures required to make up a govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All over the site you have this stupid goading going on.
    Had SF turned around after the final count and said...'there is no point talking as it is impossible to form a government' they would be foaming at the mouth for a different reason. :)

Hilarious to watch the various meltdowns. They are even waiting in the wings to begin foaming if SF compromise when the country has clearly said 'nobody is to get it all their own way'.

The whole way of doing politics...the nod and wink way of FF/FG has been ushered out the door.
    They will catch up eventually to what a real coalition is. But it sure is funny watching the cogs click into place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Yep.

Do fck all for 10 years and now sit back and do fck all.

and people wonder why their vote collapsed.

Next.

In other words you could have just quoted Cartman "Screw you guys, I'm going home" .Sums up the behaviour of FG since Sunday.

No. FG campaigned to be in government after the election. The people rejected this. That’s democracy, my friend. Now it’s time for the party who campaigned for change to help deliver it.

It’s not my issue that SF supporters can’t enjoy the result and are getting all angsty and stressed with the idea of them going into government. This is what you wanted. It’s not what I wanted, but that’s democracy my good man.

https://youtu.be/YFh2vpGeoIk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah now... I know they bankrupted the country before but FF aren't that bad!

Be careful what you wish for.

Tents being erected in Ballybrit as we speak ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Roisin Shorthall seems to want to put the SD eggs in the FG/FF basket and is shutting the door, pre-talks.

If she hasn't learned the lessons from history of doing that, let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Had SF turned around after the final count and said...'there is no point talking as it is impossible to form a government' they would be foaming at the mouth for a different reason. :)

Hilarious to watch the various meltdowns. They are even waiting in the wings to begin foaming if SF compromise when the country has clearly said 'nobody is to get it all their own way'.

The whole way of doing politics...the nod and wink way of FF/FG has been ushered out the door.
    They will catch up eventually to what a real coalition is. But it sure is funny watching the cogs click into place. :)

Noticing Sf gene pool getting very ‘thin skinned’ recently, we have guys down Waterford way claiming “We have broken the bastards’ and other stuff reminiscent of the black flag period and “Smash this and smash that “era.

Then lesser luminaries suggesting “The whole way of doing politics..the nod and wink way of FF and FG has been ushered out the door”

Then when for once when the spotlight is on the performance of their party, after years of sniping and criticism of those running the country claiming to have all the answers, they get very upset and unable to handle things.

News for them.....better get used to it, senior hurling now, can’t sit on the fence laughing any longer.:)

• Advertisement

Noticing Sf gene pool getting very ‘thin skinned’ recently, we have guys down Waterford way claiming “We have broken the bastards’ and other stuff reminiscent of the black flag period and “Smash this and smash that “era.

Then lesser luminaries suggesting “The whole way of doing politics..the nod and wink way of FF and FG has been ushered out the door”

Then when for once when the spotlight is on the performance of their party, after years of sniping and criticism of those running the country claiming to have all the answers, they get very upset and unable to handle things.

News for them.....better get used to it, senior hurling now, can’t sit on the fence laughing any longer.:)

They are going in trying to score a few soft points as well, Brendan, but Sylvie Linnane is standing there looking like he’s up for a game of timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just seeing loads of lazy journalism on MLM being some amazing political strategist, this is the same SF that lost a ton of council seats in there supposed core base, lost there mep's only a few months ago.
    if leo had gone for an election in september i suspect there would have been a very different result.

as they say timing is everything in politics and leo aint got it.

i look forward to seeing SF enact their policies in government despite the desperation of some of there supporters on here to be in opposition (which lets be a honest a ff/fg/gp coalition would only allow sf to increase there vote share i suspect so that wont happen) FG droppped the ball on so many things and the fell into their turn at the trough politics so lets see SF do it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Roisin Shorthall seems to want to put the SD eggs in the FG/FF basket and is shutting the door, pre-talks.

If she hasn't learned the lessons from history of doing that, let them at it.

Jesus you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Eventually someone is going to have to form some form of government. What's the harm in talking to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

It's 66 with Greens. They need Iontu and independents to top up to 80.

Why would the Green Party want to go into government with a party that opposes the carbon tax?

Everyone seems to assume the Greens are ready to do any deal with anyone.

I doubt that many of the Green Party's middle-class voters are thrilled at the prospect of a Sinn Féin-led government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Jesus you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Eventually someone is going to have to form some form of government. What's the harm in talking to people?

Or have another general election...

It looks like Sinn Féin aren't attractive coalition partners for left-wing parties any more than they are for centrist or right-wing parties.

That being the case, the chances of Sinn Féin getting into government without, in my opinion, at least two-thirds of the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party approving a coalition with SF in principle at its meeting tomorrow, are slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

SF, as MLM said, 'won' the election, up to her now to do a deal with FF and the Greens.

How do you know FF would be willing to do such a deal? Takes (at least) two to tango...

What do you think are red line issues for SF in coalition negotiations?

Rent freezes and one month rent back?

Bring the pension age back to 65 (which is the opposite of every other country in Europe btw).

3500 more doctors and nurses?

Free car parking in hospitals?

Getting rid of prescription charges?

25% social housing in all new estates?

Removing the local property tax?

Real treasure trove of promises there and that’s just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

just seeing loads of lazy journalism on MLM being some amazing political strategist, this is the same SF that lost a ton of council seats in there supposed core base, lost there mep's only a few months ago.
    if leo had gone for an election in september i suspecttehre would have been a very differnet result.

as they say timing is everythiing in politics and leo aint got it.

i look forward to seeing SF enact their policies in government despite the desperation of some of there supporters on here to be in opposition (which lets be a honest a ff/fg/gp coaolition would only allow sf to increase there vote share i suspect so that wont happen) FG droppped the ball on so many things and the fell into their turn at the trough politics so lets see SF do it differently.

Hindsight is indeed great, agree that FG dropped the ball several times, but as SF are now finding out implementing is far harder than opposition.

What I suspect will happen is after weeks of talk the rest of the ‘left’ will be quite happy to stay in opposition and well just hang out banners, do marches, attend picket lines, support anyone opposing anything, get their pictures on Twitter, promise to nationalize everything, while collecting the taxpayers wedge and appearing on every media outlet possible.

In fairness SF appear to be trying, but they need to understand not to get too thin skinned and surprised at what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No. FG campaigned to be in government after the election. The people rejected this. That’s democracy, my friend. Now it’s time for the party who campaigned for change to help deliver it.

It’s not my issue that SF supporters can’t enjoy the result and are getting all angsty and stressed with the idea of them going into government. This is what you wanted. It’s not what I wanted, but that’s democracy my good man.

https://youtu.be/YFh2vpGeoIk

20% of the voters voted for FG for government, 22% voted for FF for government and 24% voted for SF all parties have a responsibility to try and form government whether you wish to acknowledge that or not is irrelevant Simon Harris disagrees with you by the way. Any luck on getting your hands on a calculator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

One plus of the SF doing well is the amount of Tricolours that are flying from a lot of houses over the last week. I used to live in the States and people over there always fly the stars and stripes from their homes and wondered why we didn't do the same thing here. Looks like it may start to happen which is a good thing...

Advertisement