Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'm hearing a lot of people referring to Sinn Feins success as a populist vote, this is probably somewhat accurate. Having said that what would you call voting for Simon Harris and Eoghan Murphy again. These two guys made an absolute balls of their jobs and people blindly voted for them again, why? Although its was embarrassing on their part to have to wait for 12 counts to get back in. Who goes to the voting station and says to themselves "you know what Ill vote for Murphy again" he's done a stellar job thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm hearing a lot of people referring to Sinn Feins success as a populist vote, this is probably somewhat accurate. Having said that what would you call voting for Simon Harris and Eoghan Murphy again. These two guys made an absolute balls of their jobs and people blindly voted for them again, why? Although its was embarrassing on their part to have to wait for 12 counts to get back in. Who goes to the voting station and says to themselves "you know what Ill vote for Murphy again" he's done a stellar job thus far.

They voted for their party, sometimes who the candidate is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Not to mention a FF leader who bankrupted the country.

You'd need to be a real can of p|ss to vote FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Only serious option I think is fffg with maby the greens . The left can't make 80 seats far to many pieces to keep together. Mary Lou is on a winner either way leading the opposition will give them the chance to really boost their chances next time . Doubt the others will do much different to what they have done in the past so will most likely keep their base support which is diminishing so should open the door for a left government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ddarcy wrote: »
    Not sure of the party rules, but do the membership have to agree with coalition? I thought that was the case with FF anyways and maybe FG too

The party leadership makes the final decision. Coveny was chosen by the party membership but Leo was picked by the leadership. Labour grassroots didn't want the party to go into coalition in 2011 but the leadership did. Just two examples of the party leaders ignoring the membership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Only serious option I think is fffg with maby the greens . The left can't make 80 seats far to many pieces to keep together. Mary Lou is on a winner either way leading the opposition will give them the chance to really boost their chances next time . Doubt the others will do much different to what they have done in the past so will most likely keep their base support which is diminishing so should open the door for a left government.

what do you mean by the left? dont FFG support the massive welfare state and an insane rate of marginal tax from a pittance of an income? Youd swear FG were the Tories in the uk etc, they want to protect their votes, but I mean its blatant lying, they were more concerned with welfare increases , than rewarding the early risers!

Fg are on the left, but support rip off property, thats the irony. hence might aswell vote left and see if SF will do anything about the rip off housing,nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Boyd Barrett didn't seem that pushed at all today about the chance to be part of a Government.

Sure it's a lot easier to shout from the other side of the chamber and not have to do anything unpoplur to fix the problems facing the country.

Speaking of fixing things it would be nice if SF could give us a rough idea how they will solve the health crises.

I heard him on with Yates this evening on my drive home, and i thought the opposite tbh - now to be fair my radio was going in and out because of work calls, buy the gist I got was that he was very much open to the idea, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Either way I think it's good for the country. FF FG will now realise that they need to sort out housing and health in the next 4 years or the electorate will have their say yet again.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I heard him on with Yates this evening on my drive home, and i thought the opposite tbh - now to be fair my radio was going in and out because of work calls, buy the gist I got was that he was very much open to the idea, no?

That's what I got from him.

Seems to be creaming his pants at the thought of rowing in behind MLM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Either way I think it's good for the country. FF FG will now realise that they need to sort out housing and health in the next 4 years or the electorate will have their say yet again.

yes and that is why the SF vote is actually an all round win for everyone here. It lights a serious match under the FFG asses!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yes and that is why the SF vote is actually an all round win for everyone here. It lights a serious match under the FFG asses!

The arrogance and stupidity they continue to show since the election I wouldn't be as optimistic as you're

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭rob316

People before profit have absolutely no interest in been in government. They just protest and shout about everything. No one wants a radical left party like that in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

McMurphy wrote: »

Heard that clip myself now, he must have had a change of heart because he was very so so about it in an earlier one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,045 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

listermint wrote: »
    You need 80 to form a government

You need 81 but that's not the point you missed.

Well Brid smith said that they could have a minority government not me so if you've an issue with what I said take it up with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You need 81 but that's not the point you missed.

Well Brid smith said that they could have a minority government not me so if you've an issue with what I said take it up with her.

Sorry what ?

Did you take brids word for it. Not understand the figure.

Come on here and spout stuff as your own.

Then get pointed out the numbers are wrong.

Then research this and go back and blame brid.

Lol. Excellent work . Gave me a chucke anyway

efanton wrote: »
    Why to FG and FF portray them selves as the sensible parties, and yet their supporters portray themselves as anything but sensible?

If the numbers are not there to make a majority then there is no possibility of a SF lead government. Its that simple and you know it.
    Otherwise FG and FF would be trying to form minority governments themselves

Are Leo and Martin offering a stability deal, because if FF and FG want to see SF form a government without a majority then surely that would be on offer already.

The only ones who are running sh!tless are you call it are Leo and Michael Martin. Both of them are hanging on for dear life to keep their leadership positions, but the truth is give it a few months and both will be cut loose.

Well MM is making calls according to the podcast of the Sean O Rourke show today so whatever else you can say about him(and many do) running ****less isn't one of them in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what do you mean by the left? dont FFG support the massive welfare state and an insane rate of marginal tax from a pittance of an income? Youd swear FG were the Tories in the uk etc, they want to protect their votes, but I mean its blatant lying, they were more concerned with welfare increases , than rewarding the early risers!

Fg are on the left, but support rip off property, thats the irony. hence might aswell vote left and see if SF will do anything about the rip off housing,nothing to lose

Would regard both fffg as a lot nearer the centre than sinn fein and the others that would make up their government

Sorry what ?

Did you take brids word for it. Not understand the figure.

Come on here and spout stuff as your own.

Then get pointed out the numbers are wrong.

Then research this and go back and blame brid.

Lol. Excellent work . Gave me a chucke anyway

No I don't take brides word for it because I don't believe what she is saying.

Spout stuff as my own ? I gave a description of a segment on a radio programme from today pointing out who said what.

Where did I get the numbers wrong ?

I didn't blame brid smith for anything I asked a question based on what she said today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

If they were successful it could prove to be a huge lost opportunity for SF as their floating voters may not stick with them next time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

omega man wrote: »
    If they were successful it could prove to be a huge lost opportunity for SF as their floating voters may not stick with them next time around.

Its just the way the system works here, FG and FF wont go into government with them so they are left high and dry.Nothing SF can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will be interesting to see where Varadker ends up in the next Dail. You'd imagine Coveney will want to hold onto taniste if possible. Martin will need a few sweeteners to get FG on side.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Its just the way the system works here, FG and FF wont go into government with them so they are left high and dry.Nothing SF can do.

Yes probably but if SF are looking to FF then the so called mandate for change isn’t really there at all.
    Has the political landscape changed forever as some said post election...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yes probably but if SF are looking to FF then the so called mandate for change isn’t really there at all.

That so called mandate was in invention. Potentially the landscape has changed or it could be a labour 2011 blip

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly. Where in the world is 24% a mandate?

At most this was a signal to the main parties to deal with issues they have either forgotten about or don't care about. Whether it is a new landscape will not be known for another few years. The local and EU elections gave a completely opposite landscape so I would side with the view that this was a protest vote, coupled with a desire for a change in how things were being done.

That is not to dismiss it, although IMO many voters voted for SF never expecting them to do so well but happy that they were running only 42 and thus could never form a government. If they ran 100, then people would have much more serious questions to ask themselves (again this is simply my opinion, I have no evidence to back that up).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Heard that clip myself now, he must have had a change of heart because he was very so so about it in an earlier one.

Promised a ministry position perhaps :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

FF have said no deal with SF, SF say they are looking to the left but will not have the numbers. Only one game in town FF and FG plus the greens.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Exactly. Where in the world is 24% a mandate?

At most this was a signal to the main parties to deal with issues they have either forgotten about or don't care about. Whether it is a new landscape will not be known for another few years. The local and EU elections gave a completely opposite landscape so I would side with the view that this was a protest vote, coupled with a desire for a change in how things were being done.

That is not to dismiss it, although IMO many voters voted for SF never expecting them to do so well but happy that they were running only 42 and thus could never form a government. If they ran 100, then people would have much more serious questions to ask themselves (again this is simply my opinion, I have no evidence to back that up).

There is zero evidence the average person on the street knows how many candidates any party let alone SF are running.

It's actually a poor hypothesis when you dwell on it for even a second

• Registered Users Posts: 15,666 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There is zero evidence the average person on the street knows how many candidates any party let alone SF are running.

It's actually a poor hypothesis when you dwell on it for even a second

Is there evidence either way?

It was all over the news. Why are they running only 42, have they missed a trick? Are you really suggesting that people don't even know about the basics of an election?

What does that say about their apparent 'drive for change'?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,606 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Regarding the exit it polls guys.
    Was there a breakdown of people's jobs, etc breakdown shown of who voted for Sinn Fein, Fine Gael, Etc on Saturday in the exit poll.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Is there evidence either way?

It was all over the news. Why are they running only 42, have they missed a trick? Are you really suggesting that people don't even know about the basics of an election?

What does that say about their apparent 'drive for change'?

The basics of elections... Such as the number of candidates running.

.yes I'm suggesting people don't know the number of candidates running.

Are you suggesting they do. Because tbh I'm quite interested in politics but would never have bothered to search the volume of candidates running. I'm not sure how someone who has no interest in it other than when to vote would...

Come on though... It's a bit ...

Advertisement