Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Regarding the exit it polls guys.
    Was there a breakdown of people's jobs, etc breakdown shown of who voted for Sinn Fein, Fine Gael, Etc on Saturday in the exit poll.

I don't think they ask that kind of information

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was there a breakdown of people's jobs, etc breakdown shown of who voted for Sinn Fein, Fine Gael, Etc on Saturday in the exit poll.

Yes everyone was unemployed.

Is this a serious question?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,606 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think they ask that kind of information
    listermint wrote: »
    Yes everyone was unemployed.

Is this a serious question?

Thanks.

It's a serious question. I do RedC surveys and they always asking what Hours you work and what type of employment you are in and the education you've achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What you expecting to see, Jim Nugent, Ballyshannon - 37 - Clinical Coordinator - Voted SF?

This is a pisstake question, surely?

McMurphy wrote: »
    What you expecting to see, Jim Nugent, Ballyshannon - 37 - Clinical Coordinator - Voted SF?

This is a pisstake question, surely?

In the above post I explained why I asked it because of my experience with RedC surveys. They do ask roughly what type of employment you are in, your age, what county your from, is it rural or urban, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

FF have said no deal with SF,

Have they done so categorically and definitively since the election?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

In the above post I explained why I asked it because of my experience with RedC surveys. They do ask roughly what type of employment you are in, your age, what county your from, is it rural or urban, etc.

This was an exit poll, of people who had actually voted, not an opinion poll of how people might vote in a future General Election.

It was conducted under time pressure; it had to be ready for soon after the polls closed at 10pm.

The people who commissioned it may not have wanted those types of question asked, as it would have delayed the results of the poll being published by hours, perhaps days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Have they done so categorically and definitively since the election?

Many of their TD's have vociferously ruled it out and to roll back on that after such definitive statements would cause trouble within the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There will probably be a detailed report of the survey published. This is the RTE version from 2016. The question sheets are at the end, and they do include employment status. But the survey does not match that information to party votes.

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/rte-exit-poll-report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

The poll companies endeavour to ensure that they have a balance of the entire spectrum of age, gender, location etc etc.

They phoned me up a month or so ago having used me for previous polls. When she went through the list of basic questions about those being polled and found out my age group she said 'sorry, we cant use you in this poll we have already filled that age group.'

So what do you want to know? That the polls are unfair because they didnt give the result you expected?
    That only those with an IQ of a cabbage voted SF but the who voted FG had an IQ greater than Einstein?

My uncle Jack voted and supported FG his entire life. Could hardly read or write, never went to school beyond the age of 12, worked his entire life mowing lawns and as a general handyman, yet Garrett Fitzgerald made it his personal business to be at his funeral.
    Me, Im 50+, worked almost my entire career in computers, first on mainframes where punched cards and magnetic tape were still the main means of storing data before PC's even existed, up to recently where I was working in the IT security sector and server management. Now studying for a degree in astro-physics. I have never voted FG and have voted SF, and would have in this election if there was a SF candidate standing in my constituency.

You see the point I'm trying to make here? Intelligence, income, and education do not predetermine who you will vote for and only a really stupid person would make that assertion

• Advertisement

efanton wrote: »

You see the point I'm trying to make here? Intelligence, income, and education do not predetermine who you will vote for and only a really stupid person would make that assertion

Yes I explained in my above post of why I asked the question.
    I was just basically wondering did they ask these questions in exit polls and was the information made public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That assertion has been made multiple times across many threads casting aspirations on all who voted SF from calling them idiots, scum , proles , wasters etc you get my drift and I can say it is predominantly from FG supporters on this site. I could list their user names and link their comments but there is no need their comments are still visible beside their username. It's actually sad that they can direct such bile to others just for exercising their democratic right to vote for whom they want whether it was ideological inspired or as a means to protest the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

To understand the IRA/SF mentality and claims to have left the past behind, its important to consider that the first part of deradicalization is understanding individuals’ psychological state, previous trauma, and personal circumstances—not just their political and religious beliefs.

One of the hallmarks of a terrorist worldview is its rigidity: us and them, the righteous and the unbelievers. Cracking that is key to deradicalization. Those jailed for such offenses—overwhelmingly men - were prime targets for further radicalization in prison, to move them from glorification to action. These are closed systems that can develop strong hierarchies.

In fact, confusion and uncertainty are often better signs that deradicalization is working than strong pledges that a person has changed. You’re talking about people with black-and-white views on ethics; all their answers are put on a plate for them; they have strong identities and membership of a group. If someone breaks that black-and-white view—moral ennui, that’s what they’re going to face. It’s like leaving a cult. There’s a sense of having no community, an identity crisis, a morality crisis, maybe even becoming more isolated.

To understand the IRA/SF mentality and claims to have left the past behind, its important to consider that the first part of deradicalization is understanding individuals’ psychological state, previous trauma, and personal circumstances—not just their political and religious beliefs.

One of the hallmarks of a terrorist worldview is its rigidity: us and them, the righteous and the unbelievers. Cracking that is key to deradicalization. Those jailed for such offenses—overwhelmingly men - were prime targets for further radicalization in prison, to move them from glorification to action. These are closed systems that can develop strong hierarchies.

In fact, confusion and uncertainty are often better signs that deradicalization is working than strong pledges that a person has changed. You’re talking about people with black-and-white views on ethics; all their answers are put on a plate for them; they have strong identities and membership of a group. If someone breaks that black-and-white view—moral ennui, that’s what they’re going to face. It’s like leaving a cult. There’s a sense of having no community, an identity crisis, a morality crisis, maybe even becoming more isolated.

Come on that's not fair to the FG die-hards. You should be dishing up plates of sympathy not putting to boot in.

That assertion has been made multiple times across many threads casting aspirations on all who voted SF from calling them idiots, scum , proles , wasters etc you get my drift and I can say it is predominantly from FG supporters on this site. I could list their user names and link their comments but there is no need their comments are still visible beside their username. It's actually sad that they can direct such bile to others just for exercising their democratic right to vote for whom they want whether it was ideological inspired or as a means to protest the status quo.

You should expect that the party that got 25% would not get more than that volume of support on an Exit Poll thread. As it happens I think SF are very well represented here. And some of their supporters are not afraid to dish out the abuse and insults to anyone who goes against their way of thinking.

You should expect that the party that got 25% would not get more than that volume of support on an Exit Poll thread. As it happens I think SF are very well represented here. And some of their supporters are not afraid to dish out the abuse and insults to anyone who goes against their way of thinking.

I can tell you with a straight face that the abuse levelled at people who supported SF is far in excess of the abuse the other way. I suggest if you disagree have a look at the various threads, there is almost a competitive narrative to find the most derogatory term to describe the 25%.

I can tell you with a straight face that the abuse levelled at people who supported SF is far in excess of the abuse the other way. I suggest if you disagree have a look at the various threads, there is almost a competitive narrative to find the most derogatory term to describe the 25%.

Some of the abuse from the SF side is accompanied by a crowing triumphalism telling others that SF is now top dog.

Some of the abuse from the SF side is accompanied by a crowing triumphalism telling others that SF is now top dog.

Must have a look for it I haven't seen voters of other parties called scum, proles , wasters, idiots etc. Probably missed these posts my bad if I have. Only following 4 of the post GE threads.

It's actually sad that they can direct such bile to others just for exercising their democratic right to vote for whom they want whether it was ideological inspired or as a means to protest the status quo.

I dont think thats a correct reading of it though. The bile is not directed at them for exercising their deomcratic right to vote for whom they want, and that would be unjustified. Its for the such poor quality of their choice, and for that, it is justified. They wont see it of course - but then if they did, they probably wouldnt have voted that way in the first place.

Personally I dont care about any abuse that comes my way. If someone has to resort to abuse and name calling they have either lost the argument already and are admitting that, or are not intelligent enough to hold a rational and well argued debate.

I have no problem with anyone having a totally different view point to myself. It would be a horrible world to live in if we were all exactly the same just like clones.

I must admit though I do get a bit of a giggle when I see supposedly adult people claiming that their party is the more sensible, more fiscally prudent and better for the country and when challenged on this they immediately resort to taunts and bluster. You would think that they could actually put a well thought out and considered argument together, being that they are so superior, but obviously not.

• Advertisement

Many of their TD's have vociferously ruled it out and to roll back on that after such definitive statements would cause trouble within the party.

Not the same thing. AFAIK Jim O'Callaghan is the only senior figure to have explicitly said he would not serve in government with SF. I think we'd find if Marin was determined to push through a deal with SF, most/all the rest of them would find a way to win the wrestling match with their consciences.

Paddy Power has FF/SF/Green as joint favourite to be the next government, so evidently the punters are not convinced FF/SF is definitively off the table...

Not the same thing. AFAIK Jim O'Callaghan is the only senior figure to have explicitly said he would not serve in government with SF. I think we'd find if Marin was determined to push through a deal with SF, most/all the rest of them would find a way to win the wrestling match with their consciences.

Paddy Power has FF/SF/Green as joint favourite to be the next government, so evidently the punters are not convinced FF/SF is definitively off the table...

The SF position is that they want any arrangement except one which includes FF or FG. Are they not going to make a decent effort to make that happen?

I wonder is there a positive correlation between those that are 'punters' in Paddy Power type establishments, and those who voted for SF ?

The SF position is that they want any arrangement except one which includes FF or FG. Are they not going to make a decent effort to make that happen?

It obvious that SF can only form a minority government. Despite that they have met with some of the smaller parties today and will be doing the same tomorrow.

Leo and Michael Martin are well aware of this, if FF and FG were so keen on SF forming a government surely they would step forward and offer a stability agreement where they would not put forward or support a motion of no confidence for 2 or 3 years

So at the moment, its SF doing all the legwork, and Leo and Michael Martin sat on their arses doing nothing.

Who is in your considered opinion based on those facts is making a decent effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I see Barry Cowen being quoted as being against coalition with SF. That's not what I heard from him. He did go hardball and push back at them but did not say he wouldn't talk to them.
    MLM started making contact with other party leaders on Monday morning with the election count still ongoing. That was a bit presumptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A lot of ex fg voters ,voted sf. The bloody irony that Fg have caused this sf surge

Water John wrote: »
    I see Barry Cowen as being against coalition with SF. That's not what I heard from him. He did go hardball and push back at them but did not say he wouldn't talk to them.

As far as I can see, they have all bar O'Callaghan given themselves some sort of wiggle room. FF's intentions are still unclear...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would not be inclined to look on punters or bookies odds as much of an indicator on political outcomes with there record in the recent election.

There have been a few other front bench members of FF who have ruled out a coalition with SF.
    Jack Chambers last night on the Tonight Show was very adamant.
    I didn`t hear the interview with McGrath, (who is being generally looked on as Martin`s heir apparent), but he, according to reports was a definite no as well.
    I did hear O`Callaghan, (who it seems is the favourite of quite a few in FF who feel they need a Dublin based leader to take over from Martin), and there was no ambiguity in his no.
    Two of those would be senior figures in FF with quite an amount of clout I would imagine, and the third, Chambers did not sound as if he was on a solo run.
    I suppose time will tell, but from the two I heard, the chances of a SF/FF coalition did not sound encouraging.

As far as I can see, they have all bar O'Callaghan given themselves some sort of wiggle room. FF's intentions are still unclear...

I think Nial Collins and possibly Anne Rabbitte have rules it out.

• Advertisement

It obvious that SF can only form a minority government. Despite that they have met with some of the smaller parties today and will be doing the same tomorrow.

Leo and Michael Martin are well aware of this, if FF and FG were so keen on SF forming a government surely they would step forward and offer a stability agreement where they would not put forward or support a motion of no confidence for 2 or 3 years

So at the moment, its SF doing all the legwork, and Leo and Michael Martin sat on their arses doing nothing.

Who is in your considered opinion based on those facts is making a decent effort?

SF asked for voters to transfer Left to get a Left government led by them. FF and FG made it clear to the voters that neither of them would go into government with SF. Everyone is standing by their positions. In 2016 SF with 23 seats, just let the rest get on with it. It took a couple of months back then, so it is far too early for SF to start looking for other parties to renege on their election promises.

Advertisement