Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,568 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The environment is great until you start hitting people hard in the pocket. Anyhoo there'll all adults in the Green party I'm sure they know what lays ahead when you prop up either of the main two.

A lot more than the Greens going to hammer the pocket, dude.

Haven’t you heard.......:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

A lot more than the Greens going to hammer the pocket, dude.

Haven’t you heard.......:P

You mean people haven't being hammered by the cohort of FG/FF up to now?
    Shinners ain't getting in B this time, so you can dial back the rhetoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

is_that_so wrote: »
    SF can't go above 50 on account of the oldies and they shouldn't rely on the 35-50s to stick with them.
    I wouldn't be capping anything in this atmosphere to be honest.

The mudguard (Greens, if FF/FG/G happens) will be zeroed and that is for sure.
    The shutout of SF is something which will only fuel others and that again is my opinion - the anger in the air is palpable that parties will not even talk (another big mistake from FF and FG)

The only reason I can see that the SF new voters 18-65's won't stay with them is if FF/FG adopt the guts of their policies and solve housing/renting and cost of living and restore the social contract.
    And I have no confidence whatosever that that will happen with either Ff or FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Sir Oxman wrote: »

The shutout of SF is something which will only fuel others and that again is my opinion - the anger in the air is palpable that parties will not even talk (another big mistake from FF and FG)

The only reason I can see that the SF new voters 18-65's won't stay with them is if FF/FG adopt the guts of their policies and solve housing/renting and cost of living and restore the social contract.
    And I have no confidence whatosever that that will happen.

FF/FG have please there sponsors in the building / property developer world. There is no way they will try to solve the housing crisis with pubic housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FF/FG have please there sponsors in the building / property developer world. There is no way they will try to solve the housing crisis with pubic housing.

FF might try build but FG will put the breaks on that.
    Be gas though. I can see Denis O'Brien waiting on his next state contract while FF ask what's in it for them.
    The Greens will be pushing for wolves. Ireland is in dire need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And I have no confidence whatosever that that will happen.
    Over 65s are now 20%+ of the population and they vote in huge numbers. What gave FF & FG large numbers of seats was support through all demographics. SF don't have that in the oldies and they also will also need to find people of a reasonable quality to top up. That is not a given. As for their new voters I wouldn't guess why they chose them. They may retain a lot of them or they may not. I agree that a cobbled together successful government that took housing off the table to a degree would not be advantageous to SF. Interesting times.

Martin stuttering on about forming a radical govt!

This is pure bullsh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Bowie wrote: »
    FF might try build but FG will put the breaks on that.
    Be gas though. I can see Denis O'Brien waiting on his next state contract while FF ask what's in it for them.
    The Greens will be pushing for wolves. Ireland is in dire need.
    Sounds like we have enough of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well thats absolutely splendid.

FF have prven the good judgement to judge and not shirk their analysis than no party of good conscience and morality should have any governmental role involving SF, the courage to state that categorically before the election, and the convition to stand by that after it.

Kudos to them. I am sure they will have risen in the esteem of many. People moan about political parties promising one thing, yet doing the opposite. Well not in this important case.

And the reward will no be theirs. Good news for Ireland, and it escapes the rule of men for whom terrorism is in their party tactical closet.

Hurraaaa!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    I would have thought a FF minority govt means one without any support from SF or FG , maybe abstaining
    I think you are right in regards as it is 66/1 on PP, with all variables a lot less.

• Advertisement

FF have prven the good judgement to judge and not shirk their analysis than no party of good conscience and morality should have any governmental role involving SF, the courage to state that categorically before the election, and the convition to stand by that after it.

Kudos to them. I am sure they will have risen in the esteem of many. People moan about political parties promising one thing, yet doing the opposite. Well not in this important case.

And the reward will no be theirs. Good news for Ireland, and it escapes the rule of men for whom terrorism is in their party tactical closet.

Hurraaaa!

Well, someone is having a good day!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is great fun. A hopeful future Taioseach sweating.

A former Taoiseach not giving a flying fk.

SF rehearsing their next rebel song and their fists.

Only in Ireland.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Hurraaaa!

Well said, I just wish the interviewer had asked MM why he appeared to back pedal on Sunday. He put the heart crossways in me and there was no need :D

Over 65s are now 20%+ of the population and they vote in huge numbers. What gave FF & FG large numbers of seats was support through all demographics. SF don't have that in the oldies and they also will also need to find people of a reasonable quality to top up. That is not a given. As for their new voters I wouldn't guess why they chose them. They may retain a lot of them or they may not. I agree that a cobbled together successful government that took housing off the table to a degree would not be advantageous to SF. Interesting times.

SF are on about 12% of 65+ and lead in all categories up to that.
    On the 4th worst turnout ever (assuming 65+ turned out in their large numbers as they always do) we have the result we have now.
    First time a party who won the national vote has been excluded (I am not saying parties have to coalesce but the talks shutout is riling large numbers of people)
    Their are many firsts and no doubt many more to come.

I've just heard MM spout more drivel on SixOne re-SF 'changing their minds' when the whole country are fully aware that SF said they would talk to all parties but that FF and FG would be their least preferred partners.

SF have played a blinder on this point and the general public is fully aware of what is happening and it does not look good on the others. (It didn't look well in the campaign either and contributed to the failure of both FF and FG)

I voted SF this time for the first time, I'm not a member of any party and never have been.

My only interest is the restoration of the social contract and the demise of the duopoly.
    Just in case I come across as a party hack like so many on here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hurraaaa!

He appeared to give it some serious thought though, whereas FG just reiterated the party line right away. FG will always have more credibility among strongly anti-SF voters from now on...

efanton wrote: »
    Its a shame though the FF and FG feel the need for the political games of forcing MaryLou to run around on what was an impossible mission and now will continue the games by waiting a few weeks before declaring the only outcome that was ever likely a FF/FG/Green coalition, a decision that both Leo and Martin have probably already made.

The games are necessary to keep the less sophisticated of the population happy.

Sure, in an ideal world it would have been more effective and efficient to move straight to the final solution. And sensible people would have understood that. But the simpler voters would have been up in arms at this, getting their undergarmets entangled with exclamations of 'not respecting the people', 'same old parties', and ejaculations like 'arrogance', and 'blueshirts'.
    But taking a step back, avoids that, lets the reality sink in more slowly, while the other parties blow up a wind about nothing, and have to vacate the stage again. And so FF/FG step in without being seen not having given anyone else their fair chance.
    They dont want the games either. But they know it necessary for good government.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,102 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

(I am not saying parties have to coalesce but the talks shutout is riling large numbers of people)

I heard a journalist quoted on the radio today saying that the vast majority of people just wanted them to get on with it. If I was able to, I would ask him how does he know that. How do you know that a large number of people are riled by what is going on?

The only way to find out, apart from surveys, would be to have another election. If the people wanted something definite to emerge, they would vote for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Same old two party system abides so. Why bother voting at all?

A clear vote for change obviously means nothing to our FFG masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He appeared to give it some serious thought though, whereas FG just reiterated the party line right away. FG will always have more credibility among strongly anti-SF voters from now on...

Seems I missed Martin saying he was giving some serous thought to forming a coalition with SF as well.
    When did he say that?

jos28 wrote: »
    Well said, I just wish the interviewer had asked MM why he appeared to back pedal on Sunday. He put the heart crossways in me and there was no need :D

Ach, I dont think there is anything really wrong with considering something. An intinct of having an open mind is utterly preferable to one of being closed. So in the heat of an election and count, when the dust has yet to settle, too much can be read into non-committal comments.
    The important thing is to come out with the right conclusion. And that they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,102 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Three party system now, plus another quarter of micro parties and independents. It's what the people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jos28 wrote: »
    Eamonn Ryan should insist on bringing the SDs along for the ride. He can always blame them if it all goes pear shaped. It could be a great opportunity for the SDs if they get the chance. FF/FG can package it in such a way that they listened to the electorate and here's our nice new shiny Democratic partners. If the new house building figures are to be believed and the planned house building continues the SDs can take a lot of the credit for putting pressure on the big boys.

What bull. Just to make you aware on some very basic info. Eamonn Ryan has nothing to do with SD and secondly, Roisin Shorthall is far more clever than to fall for such a ridiculous proposal or suggestion.

I look forward to Ryan and his shower taking the rap again for FF.

efanton wrote: »
    That's the best assessment posted on any thread on this forum so far.

Its a shame though the FF and FG feel the need for the political games of forcing MaryLou to run around on what was an impossible mission and now will continue the games by waiting a few weeks before declaring the only outcome that was ever likely a FF/FG/Green coalition, a decision that both Leo and Martin have probably already made.
    Well, she was first out of the blocks with a coalition of the left and on the phone so what should they have done, criticised her or encouraged her? I'm not sure there are any games at work. FG were almost instant in their stated position on SF, FF took longer, primarily, I would surmise till they had their meeting today.

So that is does abide.

You contradict yourself here. By definition, if the old two party system continues, then the vote was for no change.
    Which indeed it was. 84% of seats returned as per the previous party make up of the Dail. Thats a strong endorsement for the status quo. Somebody said the phrase 'voted for change' on Sunday, and people seemed to lap it up as if it were true.

Have the Greens made a comment yet on the speculation?

charlie14 wrote: »
    Seems I missed Martin saying he was giving some serous thought to forming a coalition with SF as well.
    When did he say that?

During the count on Sunday afternoon.

I heard a journalist quoted on the radio today saying that the vast majority of people just wanted them to get on with it. If I was able to, I would ask him how does he know that. How do you know that a large number of people are riled by what is going on?

The only way to find out, apart from surveys, would be to have another election. If the people wanted something definite to emerge, they would vote for it.
    Both FF and FG were rejected in terms of the only way we know - both lost share of vote and seats.
    Even FG acknowledge this.
    No one can speak for anyone, any comments here are my own opinion as are yours, sometimes we all forget to preface IMO.

But it is acknowledged by analysts and commentators that the pre-election shutout of SF was possibly the worst campaign move by two parties at the same time albeit FG were playing catchup publically on that one.

Hilarious memories on here - as the Politics Forum has pointed out, FG had no qualms BEFORE the GFA and amidst the Troubles forming a govt with the Stickies, Democratic Left (Official IRA) - not exactly a snowhite party of the Troubles what with their printing presses etc and communist leanings and the likes of Gilmore and Rabbitte in 2011.
    Funny old world, isn't it?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Have the Greens made a comment yet on the speculation?
    I think it's more conducive to deals when people don't comment on it. They'd have to bring any deal to an Ard Fheis for approval anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,568 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Correct and right.

Lot of ..well one would have to suggest ‘challenged’ folk coming on here and trying to purport that ‘ the vast majority’ want this, know this , have voted for this......

And these folk think that folk will just swallow that bullsdust without any evidence and start nodding like a backseat dog....... news for yez...:D

• Advertisement

Well, she was first out of the blocks with a coalition of the left and on the phone so what should they have done, criticised her or encouraged her? I'm not sure there are any games at work. FG were almost instant in their stated position on SF, FF took longer, primarily, I would surmise till they had their meeting today.
    That's a tad naive.
    Every party is at it, inc SF.
    Just some play it better than others.

Advertisement