Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rdwight wrote: »
    I find it ironic that SF support should be so strong in areas with a lot of social housing. Given the state of the property market, people in council houses have effectively won the lottery.

I don't see how. You seem to think council houses command mad money in areas around Dublin.

The price of them means this is a false narrative.

Would you spend lottery money on an ex council house in finglas.

Answers on a postcard

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I find it ironic that SF support should be so strong in areas with a lot of social housing. Given the state of the property market, people in council houses have effectively won the lottery.

They have children that can't stay at home all their lives and have absolutely zero chance of advancement under the current conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RMAOK wrote: »
    The vote counting starts at 9 a.m.
    Think rte start their coverage earlier with a special edition of morning Ireland.

VM 1 at 8.30am

Time for bed thanks for all the chat.

Should of got rid of Martin early doors , he is part of the old brigade that took the country down . They needed a fresh face in there it was a major **** up.

Perhaps thrown out the mouth Timmy Dooley too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Ever hear of the bus or train?

Attitudes like this are driving people in their hordes to vote for the party you hate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Qrt wrote: »
    You also have their big decision, do they intervene massively in the housing market, pretty much going against their core principles, in order to hold off SF?

In keeping with most political parties, I don't think FG would have to struggle too hard with their conscience to let themselves do what was necessary to get elected.

as groucho said... Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

elperello wrote: »
    VM 1 at 8.30am

Time for bed thanks for all the chat.

Likewise, I know it can get heated at times, but was very civilised considering the exit poll.

Back tomorrow, see y'all then!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

listermint wrote:
    Ah the foreigners argument

listermint wrote:
    Coming over here taking ... What this time..

listermint wrote:
    Oh our cheap apartments.

Pathetic. It will be a problem for many

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They can't dictate the formation of a government as they'll have the 3rd most seats.

True, but if like last time they dont even field a team on the pitch to form a government, they will be punished for it.

This puts huge pressure on FF though to do a u-turn, in relation to SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

So you'd vote for SF, and then hope their policies are changed or blocked by their government partner? lol ok, makes so much sense. Either you endorse their manifesto or you don't.

That's just a silly false dichotomy. The world isn't as black and white as you're pretending it is. First, I didn't give them my number #1, but a preference in the bottom half of my list and knowing that, with only 40-odd candidates in play, they're unlikely to form a government by themselves (remind me, when was the last time an Irish political party formed a government by itself?). Coalition government means that neither partner gets its full policy wish-list, so no you don't have to support SF 100% to not be terribly troubled by the prospect of them playing some part in government.

I'm not a natural SF voter. I don't see a united Ireland as being a priority, I don't think Irish should be a compulsory subject, I don't particularly like GAA and I'm half-English. But, as Christopher Plummer says in Waterloo..."There's always a time to cut cards with the devil". If you're so keen to point a finger, then point it at your pet wing of the FFG party which is responsible for making people think that maybe SF in government might deliver something, because they know, based on track record, that FFG won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Should of got rid of Martin early doors , he is part of the old brigade that took the country down . They needed a fresh face in there it was a major **** up.

Who? Martin is not the problem is they have nobody to replace him. Their voters are getting older and they are attracting very little younger members and voters. That abortion group photo was interesting not because what they were trying to say but it showed just how stale the party is.

no.8 wrote: »
    Pathetic. It will be a problem for many

Enjoy the pints .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

listermint wrote: »
    Perhaps thrown out the mouth Timmy Dooley too :)
    Im originally from Finglas ,my ma and da still live there and i have to say the 2 FF lads for the area do a great job and work their socks off for the area and the constituency they represent . They need to flood the party with men and women like that. Then you have Dessie Ellis in the background of every photo like something from weekend at bernies.

Qrt wrote: »
    You also have their big decision, do they intervene massively in the housing market, pretty much going against their core principles, in order to hold off SF?

If only they had done so!

Tony EH wrote: »
    They have children that can't stay at home all their lives and have absolutely zero chance of advancement under the current conditions.

one system we have managed to get fairly right is our educational system.

Im originally from Finglas ,my ma and da still live there and i have to say the 2 FF lads for the area do a great job and work their socks off for the area and the constituency they represent . They need to flood the party with men and women like that. Then you have Dessie Ellis in the background of every photo like something from weekend at bernies.

Then you'll know the house prices so.

They aren't the same level as areas around them including older council areas.

Lottery money indeed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Why assume people only vote because of one aspect of their own lives.

If your living in a council house with low rent are you suddenly not pissed off with the incompetence of the people in seat?

Does that make you

Not care about others having to pay high rents?
    People dieing on trollys?
    Get life changing injuries sleeping on a canal?
    See billions in over spend on hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Will Varadkar open up talks with SF?

Don't be surprised!

listermint wrote: »
    I don't see how. You seem to think council houses command mad money in areas around Dublin.

The price of them means this is a false narrative.

Would you spend lottery money on an ex council house in finglas.

Answers on a postcard

I was referring to people renting council houses. Don't get me started on the selling of council properties at large discounts.

meeeeh wrote: »
    And because one or both of you work in public sector you will be insulated from policies that will damage economy. I'm in a similar situation but since we are running a business voting for SF would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

sf would not be held as great prospective government for the public service tbph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Who? Martin is not the problem is they have nobody to replace him. Their voters are getting older and they are attracting very little younger members and voters. That abortion group photo was interesting not because what they were trying to say but it showed just how stale the party is.

33% of the voters voted to save the 8th. If a party could garner 33% they'd be in government. If FF had have had decided to save the 8th ammendment, they probably would have won the election clearly.

Two big problems in one there. I would never vote FF as long as the guy who propped up Bertie is at the helm. I know it's just optics but still. Try to at least pretend you have changed.

SF policies regarding the health service are pretty poxy to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Tomorrow will be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Don't be surprised!

He wont.

I am sure I wont be.

There are far to many other more palatable options available. Including no government.

I wasn't talking about the educational system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Tony EH wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about the educational system.

Credit where its due though. FF and FG have decades of record of delivery a superb educational system.

Credit where its due though. FF and FG have decades of record of delivery a superb educational system.

Again, I wasn't talking about the educational system.

"Advancement" doesn't just mean your college degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Don't be surprised!

I'd be surprised but not terribly surprised. All it takes is something along the lines of "We wouldn't have wanted this, but the electorate has spoken and it would be wrong for us not pay heed...", etc ,etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

We really haven't.... under funded across all levels, new "initiatives" forced through, absenteeism issues with students, teacher retention problems, low staff moral and ongoing concerns about the watering down of standards..... we're a whistleblower away from a nationally recognised crises in the education sector

Advertisement