Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Your facts are correct, but maths incorrect.
    26 of 158 seats changed by party. 132 seats were returned the same as 2016. Thats 84% stayed the same.

The 'the people voted for change' merchants really need to improve their analysis.

I only mentioned the additional members of SocDems and Greens. These are new members of two parties that only had 4 TDs between them in the previous parliament. They now have increased their number by several hundred % which is a significant change delivered by the voters. Stop digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

FF and FG stood back for a couple of days to illustrate how ridiculous Mary Lou was with her notion of a left govt. Any 10 year old would have told her the maths doesn't add up.

Now it looks like FF and FG will negotiate and create a program for govt if the greens play ball.

The greens know they'll achieve nothing in opposition.
    Is that what happened? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

They might be the most left (and SF are only pretend left anyway), and FG may be the most right, alright. But in Ireland, that means they are effectively indistinguishable. If SF had won an overall majority. 90 seats even. When in office, they would behave pretty much in exactly the same way as any other general cross section of the Dail or election candidates. Average Joe would not see any different in practice. Faced with the same facts, constraints, resources, and decisions to make, they all end up making the same decisions.
    (just SF has members of despicaple moral standing, and so are best avoided for that reason).

Probably right. They won't have enough magic money trees for their policies.

All this chat about 'change'. 75% of people didn't vote for their change.

4 more Soc Dem TDs and 10 more Green TDs looks like a change to me, how many FF and FG TDs are now private citizens as a result of that change?

Can they borrow the pram that SF didn't use in 2016?

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

The Greens really are despicable if they prop up another FF/FG landlord/banker government. Certainly I'll never vote for them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

4 more Soc Dem TDs and 10 more Green TDs looks like a change to me, how many FF and FG TDs are now private citizens as a result of that change?

Nonsense.
    Government is formed by the full Dail. Not one party. A party previously of and and increasing to 4 MPs is indeed an increase of 300%. But that doesnt mean change on a national level if thats only 2% change in the Dail. Thats not 'change' in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I misread it as toys being thrown out of the pram. You said toys being put back in the pram. It's all clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

The Greens really are despicable if they prop up another FF/FG landlord/banker government. Certainly I'll never vote for them again.

Was it not Eamon Ryan that said the worst day in government is better than the best day in opposition.

They would go in with anyone.

Nonsense.
    Government is formed by the full Dail. Not one party. A party previously of and and increasing to 4 MPs is indeed an increase of 300%. But that doesnt mean change on a national level if thats only 2% change in the Dail. Thats not 'change' in the Dail.

An increase in political ideology in the Dail is of course change on a national level particularly when one of those parties I mentioned will soon be in a position to influence policy that they were precluded from doing for the last nine years.
    Anyway I see you doubling down further so I will allow to carry on but without any further response from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Indeed. Thats good news.

Just correcting some of the incorrect conclusions people have jumped to as they try to understand the results.

Maybe if you're happy enough with a shoody HSE, rising rents, highest ever levels of homelessness, overcrowded hospitals, poor transport networks, huge insurance costs, weak judicial system, soft on crime, compo culture, politicians rewarded for poor performance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

C__MC wrote: »
    God almighty
    How did the people of this country give s f 37 seats

As a massive **** You to FF and FG. All in vain though if both parties go back into government together possibly along with the Greens.

limnam wrote: »
    Was it not Eamon Ryan that said the worst day in government is better than the best day in opposition.

Mary Harney of the PD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

limnam wrote: »

Mary Harney, 1 day in power is better than a year in opposition.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

A lot I would say. Seeing that some of the characters who could be in government with SF are hell bent on seizing all private property for the State. If you have any private property you should be worried too.

My God, I knew this country had a serious drug problem but dxhound you really need to lay off them.

Are you truly expect one single person to believe that?

Dont tell me you actually believe that? You should seek help, seriously.

I absolutely don’t want SF in government. But it’s clear they are more popular than 24% of the vote. They had 42 candidates and got 35 seats. That’s an almost 90% success rate. Not to mention the first preferences.

The question is, why didn’t they run more candidates? I think the answer to that is they genuinely didn’t realise their own popularity. The polls didn’t suggest it or the local elections. It was basically a bandwagon protest vote that gained pace the minute Mary Lou was excluded from the leaders debate.

I think their success even scares them a bit. Their manifesto might have been a bit more realistic if they had thought they stood a chance. I think they’re happy enough in opposition.

This presents society with a real problem. I feel there will be a lot of unrest in the country if FF/FG go back into Government. At the same time, I’m not sure what kind of result another election would throw up. Turnout would probably be a lot higher for round 2. And all opposed to SF would be out in numbers to prevent them getting in.

I hope FF/FG go in together and people get behind it. I do hope they work harder than ever though to help people into homes. Particularly the ones with 2 people working hard and earning decent salaries. People will forget all SF quickly if housing alone gets better.

Mary Lou will be on BBC 1 NI shortly. I am upping my medication before watching.

efanton wrote: »
    My God, I knew this country had a serious drug problem but dxhound you really need to lay off them.

I was just advising the poster who asked whether FG voters were seeking the status quo to protect their wealth.

Mary Lou will be on BBC 1 NI shortly. I am upping my medication before watching.

I only saw your comment about the state seizing private property because another poster quoted you. I actually thought you were attempting genuine commentary I must have missed the 'batsh*t' crazy stuff , not engaging further after this.
    I will however address your silly comment, the constitution protects private property rights and those rights can only be changed by will of the people by way of a referendum.

efanton wrote: »

There was an article in one of papers last week which stated how concerning it would be if SF got access to the dept of justice...... Given their links to crime and IRA background.

• Advertisement

There was an article in one of papers last week which stated how concerning it would be if SF got access to the dept of justice...... Given their links to crime and IRA background.

And it seems some posters here have not informed themselves about the Marxist project being pursued by some of those who SF asked voters to give transfers to.

I absolutely don’t want SF in government. But it’s clear they are more popular than 24% of the vote. They had 42 candidates and got 35 seats. That’s an almost 90% success rate. Not to mention the first preferences.

The question is, why didn’t they run more candidates? I think the answer to that is they genuinely didn’t realise their own popularity. The polls didn’t suggest it or the local elections. It was basically a bandwagon protest vote that gained pace the minute Mary Lou was excluded from the leaders debate.

I think their success even scares them a bit. Their manifesto might have been a bit more realistic if they had thought they stood a chance. I think they’re happy enough in opposition.

This presents society with a real problem. I feel there will be a lot of unrest in the country if FF/FG go back into Government. At the same time, I’m not sure what kind of result another election would throw up. Turnout would probably be a lot higher for round 2. And all opposed to SF would be out in numbers to prevent them getting in.

I hope FF/FG go in together and people get behind it. I do hope they work harder than ever though to help people into homes. Particularly the ones with 2 people working hard and earning decent salaries. People will forget all SF quickly if housing alone gets better.

They won 38 seats not 35

They won 38 seats not 35

37?

An opinion piece, may I ask by whom. Although you do realise all ministers must behave in a manner compliant with the constitution?

37?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

They won 38 seats not 35
    I assume you mean SF given the 42 candidate comment, they got 37

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

An opinion piece, may I ask by whom. Although you do realise all ministers must behave in a manner compliant with the constitution?
    probably by eoghan harris,michael mcdowell or some genius:)

It was in the Independent. I think last Sunday. I'd have to dig it out to get author.

• Advertisement

FF doesn't do change , I said it earlier neither Roisin or Catherine would be stupid enough to be a mudguard for the behaviour of FF in government. Almost like they are expected to forget events from 9 years ago.

Advertisement