Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Change!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

It was in the Independent. I think last Sunday. I'd have to dig it out to get author.
    it's the indo, more scare mongering and more anti SF bs. Would use it only as toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,185 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FF doesn't do change , I said it earlier neither Roisin or Catherine would be stupid enough to be a mudguard for the behaviour of FF in government. Almost like they are expected to forget events from 9 years ago.

SD's would be better off getting a spread of candidates around the country before risking going in with the piranha's.

I think there'd be plenty of votes out there for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It was in the Independent. I think last Sunday. I'd have to dig it out to get author.

Eoghan Harris? Are you pulling the p*as? That idiot was on the Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates claiming SF were more dangerous than Hitler and the Nazis. He also claimed M Martin wouldn't look you in the face and tell a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,185 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Change!!!!!!!!!!!!

The concept obviously frightens you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

I absolutely don’t want SF in government. But it’s clear they are more popular than 24% of the vote. They had 42 candidates and got 35 seats. That’s an almost 90% success rate. Not to mention the first preferences.

The question is, why didn’t they run more candidates? I think the answer to that is they genuinely didn’t realise their own popularity. The polls didn’t suggest it or the local elections. It was basically a bandwagon protest vote that gained pace the minute Mary Lou was excluded from the leaders debate.

I think their success even scares them a bit. Their manifesto might have been a bit more realistic if they had thought they stood a chance. I think they’re happy enough in opposition.

This presents society with a real problem. I feel there will be a lot of unrest in the country if FF/FG go back into Government. At the same time, I’m not sure what kind of result another election would throw up. Turnout would probably be a lot higher for round 2. And all opposed to SF would be out in numbers to prevent them getting in.

I hope FF/FG go in together and people get behind it. I do hope they work harder than ever though to help people into homes. Particularly the ones with 2 people working hard and earning decent salaries. People will forget all SF quickly if housing alone gets better.

Suely FG and FF are not so disconnected with the general populous that they have not seen serious mistakes being made. No good telling any worker that the economy is all fixed but that worker not benefiting, and worse their cost of living going through the roof.

We have seen both FG ad FF government waste billions and yet they say there is no money for the things that matter.

We have had a Taoiseach proven to have told lies in the Dail, TD's claiming expenses they were never entitled to, a TD that hardly set foot in the Dail but yet off to a nice cushy number in Europe thanks to his FG friends, the list of corruption and sandal is endless. Can you honestly say the either FF or FG deserve to be in government?

And all the while the extremely wealthy are getting richer, while the average working man/woman working the arses off and getting poorer.
    Any FF/FG politician with an ounce of cop on would have realised that they were sowing the seed of political discontent and would have done something to address it.
    It seems FG and FF are that special breed of people that will not acknowledge the consequences of their actions nor do anything to correct their mistakes even when it is pointed out to them.
    And now suddenly when they see how angry the people are, rather that put their hands up and apologise, they blame a party that has never been in government for everything that has gone wrong the last 20 years.
    Seriously, most of those TD's are either totally delusional or pure psychopaths. I would recommend they seek medical attention but alas even with their private health insurance policies they would be unlikely to get that in a timely fashion.

Change!!!!! my nappy, mommy.

FYP, if you want to act like an infant.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Eoghan Harris? Are you pulling the p*as? That idiot was on the Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates claiming SF were more dangerous than Hitler and the Nazis. He also claimed M Martin wouldn't look you in the face and tell a lie.

If I remember correct..... The article said several of the top Gardai voiced concerns ......it wasn't the author personal opinion.

SD's would be better off getting a spread of candidates around the country before risking going in with the piranha's.

I think there'd be plenty of votes out there for them.

I think they have legitimacy to occupy the space vacated by Labour. Two intelligent and emphatic ladies leading the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Harris was a member of pre-split SF/OSF/SFWP/Workers Party for decades and was one of their main PR/propaganda pushers.

His conversion to FF in the late 90s/early 00s is particularly strange, but he retained the distaste for PSF (SF as we'd know them now) from the old SF days. But rather a lot of his "recent" (past decade or more) commentary would make you think he was never inside the tent.
    I think they have legitimacy to occupy the space vacated by Labour. Two intelligent and emphatic ladies leading the party.

They're both 65/66; which is not really viable for remaining as leader through an (unlikely) 5 year Dáil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    it's the indo, more scare mongering and more anti SF bs. Would use it only as toilet paper.

It's not totally useless. SF MEP's used this story to question Phil Hogan, when he was being installed as Commissioner. Responsible for a multi billion Euro budget and major issues like EU sanctions on agricultural trade with Russia. Just a coincidence that they published it on that particular day, and SF thought that was the most important thing to question him about.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hogan-request-to-council-not-to-house-traveller-family-ignored-28814075.html

If I remember correct..... The article said several of the top Gardai voiced concerns ......it wasn't the author personal opinion.

Unnamed top Gardai are concerned writes Eoghan Harris yeah totally credible considering the author. Sarcasm btw.

were these the same gardai that shafted Maurice McCabe or Drews MI5 Buddies, I wonder. TBH, I 'd like to see their files on the Dublin and Monaghan Bombing released as I believe they have not due to political reasons.

Mary Lou on BBC talking up a "United Ireland"..

were these the same gardai that shafted Maurice McCabe or Drews MI5 Buddies, I wonder. TBH, I 'd like to see their files on the Dublin and Monaghan Bombing released as I believe they have not due to political reasons.

No. These are 'top level Gardai''......not fools going around nailing rats to doors.

L1011 wrote: »
    Harris was a member of pre-split SF/OSF/SFWP/Workers Party for decades and was one of their main PR/propaganda pushers.

His conversion to FF in the late 90s/early 00s is particularly strange, but he retained the distaste for PSF (SF as we'd know them now) from the old SF days. But rather a lot of his "recent" (past decade or more) commentary would make you think he was never inside the tent.

They're both 65/66; which is not really viable for remaining as leader through an (unlikely) 5 year Dáil.

Why is their age an issue? I'm sure they have the energy to drive their party forward. Looks like they struck a chord with younger people to join their ranks.

why wouldn't she, its a part of their policy so should she lie about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The same ones that probably saved the life of the new SF TD in Cavan. Who has a connection you may know of to another McCabe who ended up dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

And whats so terrible about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Majority doesn't want it. North wouldn't give up their benefits and south cant afford it

• Advertisement

Majority doesn't want it. North wouldn't give up their benefits and south cant afford it

Very true.

How do we know the majority doesn't want it?

How do we know the majority doesn't want it?

Because majority aren't willing to pay more taxes than we already do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

You almost sound surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well then there should be no fear of a border poll up north.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Nothing terrible. It would mean a big fall in peoples standard of living here.

I saw on a boards survey earlier that 3% of people who voted SF are interested in a United Ireland.... probably not accurate....it could be as high as 5%

Because majority aren't willing to pay more taxes than we already do

Again how do you know this? Any evidence to support these statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

There was an article in one of papers last week which stated how concerning it would be if SF got access to the dept of justice...... Given their links to crime and IRA background.

Thats all you have to go on. Someone's opinion.

Whats worse is of all the opnions you could have chosen you picked the most delusional idiot that Irish politics has ever seen.

Eohan Harris is the man you are talking about.

He absolutely slated John Hume over Hume's decision to hold talks with Sinn Féin prior to an IRA ceasefire. Harris urged the Irish government, at the time led by his friend John Bruton, to end all support for Hume's peace efforts. He wrote, "If we persist with the peace process it will end with sectarian slaughter in the North, with bombs in Dublin, Cork and Galway, and with the ruthless reign by provisional gangs over the ghettos of Dublin. The only way to avoid this abyss is to cut the cord to John Hume"

Well he called that one right didnt he.:rolleyes:

Also did you know he himself was an IRA man. He spent many years in British prisons for IRA activities.
    Kind of ironic that someone who abhors anything to do with the IRA would enlist his support in an argument.

Seriously. You really need to stop and think before posting. Use you brain, make a considered and educated argument, but don't be making a complete and utter fool of yourself.

Well then there should be no fear of a border poll up north.

Has to be vote down south also.
    To get a united Ireland we would need our debt to the EU written off and a big handout from the uk.
    Massive Grant's for infrastructure also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Rugby Fans sing about it.

Advertisement