Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's all very well singing songs down the pub and shouting "up the ra" when pissed, but a lot of people are suddenly realising they may have put the men in balaclavas into power - "we'll break the free state" as they say themselves. If the kids are voting for SF and don't quite realise what exactly they are really voting for, there is an onus on the other parties to do what they can to control them until that maturity arrives.

FG won't go into government with them, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum politically and socially. FG and FF don't want to go into government together, as it opens the door for SF to hoover up any opposition votes.

It has to be a FF government, with SF Ministers. They won't be long being found out when asked to make some actual decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Eoin O Brion making a right fool of himself on newstalk this morning. Talking absolute rubbish, basically lying, unable to address questions. Sums up SF really. Some of the stuff he came out with was absolutely comical.

For those of us who didn't hear it, anything in particular he was lying about?

Forgive me for being skeptical, considering your earlier posts In the thread, I'm leaning towards you spouting bollocks tbch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

McMurphy wrote: »
    For those of us who didn't hear it, anything in particular he was lying about?

Forgive me for being skeptical, considering your earlier posts In the thread, I'm leaning towards you spouting bollocks tbch.

He was very wishy-washy on this issue
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/5096652/sinn-fein-violet-anne-wynne-charity-rent-arrears/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Hopefully we'll start talking about things that matter soon.

I imagine she hasn't had a pay cheque yet and maybe I missed it but I didn't see where she refused anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I heard him and he sounded completely believeable.he is head and shoulders above the competition in any other party as is Pearse Doherty who demolished Simon Coveney on newstalk a few weeks back. FG/FF will fear going back to the polls because theses two have done a sterling job on anything I've heard them on since the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

smurgen wrote: »
    I heard him and he sounded completely believeable.he is head and shoulders above the competition in any other party as is Pearse Doherty who demolished Simon Coveney on newstalk a few weeks back. FG/FF will fear going back to the polls because theses two have done a sterling job on anything I've heard them on since the election.

Love em or loath them, and I wouldn't be entirely uncritical of them myself, but the trio of O'Broin, Doherty and Mary Lou are formidable and spook FF and FG big time.

They are perhaps overly reliant on those three, but to be honest, FF and FG aren't exactly awash with talent themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Paddy, l hate to be the one to break this to you, but in all honesty I don't even read the scutter you post anymore.

Suffice to say the above which I've quoted more than likely is something along the lines of how Sinn Fein will not win anymore seats, communism or the Provos, and repeating your new found allegiance to FF.

Am I right?

I know you're not a fan of reading posts with "big words" but of you want to know the content you'll just have to read the thing, capiche?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Any shinners here want to defend their new Clare TD?

A sponger in a charity social house refusing to pay the paltry 63e a week she owed.

An anti vaxxer and fraudster. That's the calibre of candidate the shinners have.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Eoin O Brion making a right fool of himself on newstalk this morning. Talking absolute rubbish, basically lying, unable to address questions. Sums up SF really. Some of the stuff he came out with was absolutely comical.

You clearly weren't listening to Heather Humpreys tying herself in knots on RTE so.

Not one of them, SF included, can answer a question straight at the moment. It's the nature of the political beast when there are negotiations ongoing and party positions are shifting like the sands on a Donegal beach.

FG obviously pushed Heather out to continue the 'you took the ball off us...you play', huff and she's not very good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A sponger in a charity social house refusing to pay the paltry 63e a week she owed.

An anti vaxxer and fraudster. That's the calibre of candidate the shinners have.

Pathetic.

Ah no she's not a fraudster.

That's only other party members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Ah no she's not a fraudster.

That's only other party members.

I thought Maria Bailey and Alan Farrell were Fine Gaels?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

smurgen wrote: »
    I thought Maria Bailey and Alan Farrell were Fine Gaels?

Ah there's the deflection we all know from SF, didn't take long:)

Pathetic.

I'm not what you might call a SF supporter, but I've probably been posting in their defence since the election to temper some of the off-the-handle madness and hysteria from the other side, so I'll take this one on.

I'd like to know more about her case, but on the face of it she looks difficult to defend, and I'm certainly not going to bother.

I'll also make the prediction that the candidate elected from the County Limerick constituency will be a problem child for them. He's not a guy that will make the Dean's list in the near future shall we say.

That said, there are many in the party who I've been genuinely impressed with, and their leadership trio should be taken seriously.

Fergus O'Dowd last night said he was told in no uncertain terms at the doors how people wanted a change.

What does Fergus think will await him now when he has to go back to them same doors and people ask him why the change they asked for didn't happen because FG and FF refused to talk to the other party that won the popular vote?

One of the two local FF lads here lost his seat, I look forward to Lawless and Durkin (I was gutted he got back in, but respect his mandate) knocking on my door in the next short while if it happens again.

FF/FG really in self destruct more ATM.

100% of people I know told FF & FG that they would not support them going into government with Sinn Fein.
    They are keeping to their promises & you have to admire them for that.

If there is another GE, it's a long game for FF FG.
    Let them sit back & watch Sinn Fein in government, see how long they last.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ah there's the deflection we all know from SF, didn't take long:)

But the question is JJ, can we draw conclusions about FG in general, because of one member?

Is that the way it is done?

I can throw in our local FGer here, caught on national TV asking for bungs for planning favours...is ALL of FG like that?

No deflection, just wonder are we on a level playing field here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pathetic.

Might want to hit that hay Paddy, sounds like you've had one too many :pac:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yurt! wrote: »
    Love em or loath them, and I wouldn't be entirely uncritical of them myself, but the trio of O'Broin, Doherty and Mary Lou are formidable and spook FF and FG big time.

They are perhaps overly reliant on those three, but to be honest, FF and FG aren't exactly awash with talent themselves.

I like O'Broin, I don't particularly like but I respect Mary Lou but Doherty is all bluster and no substance. If he becomes a minister he will be new James Riley. Great talking in the opposition and s disaster as s minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fergus O'Dowd last night said he was told in no uncertain terms at the doors how people wanted a change.

What does Fergus think will await him now when he has to go back to them same doors and people ask him why the change they asked for didn't happen because FG and FF refused to talk to the other party that won the popular vote?

One of the two local FF lads here lost his seat, I look forward to Lawless and Durkin (I was gutted he got back in, but respect his mandate) knocking on my door in the next short while if it happens again.

FF/FG really in self destruct more ATM.
    He'll be fine yet again. 3 Drogheda TDs trumps any of that party thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭limerickabroad

I'll also make the prediction that the candidate elected from the County Limerick constituency will be a problem child for them. He's not a guy that will make the Dean's list in the near future shall we say.

The guy in Limerick County didn't get elected in the end? Although you're right, from what I've heard too, he might have been, ahem, an interesting TD if he had been elected . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Might want to hit that hay Paddy, sounds like you've had one too many :pac:

I’d say he has a roaring hangover.

He does make a point though in his own way. The same standards apply to members of SF as they do to other parties. Can’t get a free pass on this stuff now.

We need to ascertain what the rent arrears she owes are, and why she found herself in this situation.

• Advertisement

The guy in Limerick County didn't get elected in the end? Although you're right, from what I've heard too, he might have been, ahem, an interesting TD if he had been elected . . .

Ah right, thought he got over the line. But they should probably view that one as a long term win that he didn't get elected.

I’d say he has a roaring hangover.

He does make a point though in his own way. The same standards apply to members of SF as they do to other parties. Can’t get a free pass on this stuff now.

We need to ascertain what the rent arrears she owes are, and why she found herself in this situation.
    Somebody did make the point on one of these threads that many of their candidates have not been scrutinised in any way and that some information like this may emerge as the media dig. It's also likely that some voters just sought out the SF candidate regardless of who they were.
    Link to the story and yeah it's The Sun.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5096652/sinn-fein-violet-anne-wynne-charity-rent-arrears/

is_that_so wrote: »
    Somebody did make the point on one of these threads that many of their candidates have not been scrutinised in any way and that some information like this may emerge as the media dig. It's also likely that some voters just sought out the SF candidate regardless of who they were.
    Link to the story and yeah it's The Sun.

The wouldn't be the only party among the big 3 that have failed to do their due diligence in fairness. Every party throws up at least half a dozen galaxy brains at election time.

The wouldn't be the only party among the big 3 that have failed to do their due diligence in fairness.
    Not sure that's true, most of the FF & FG TDs have already been in the Dail, are covered under SIPO and FG did that disclosure warning to candidates. This is a very bad thing to miss, especially about standards in public office. Then there's the poor optics of €96K in a council house!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sinn Fein won the " popular vote" Big deal.This is a democracy and if other parties have enough votes to elect a government it's tough luck on Sinn Fein.
    When they have 51% of the seats they can call the
    shots ( no pun intended)
    In the meantime they can only try and persuade others to support them for government.
    Playing the "poor Sinn Fein we're being victimised" card might work with the dysfunctional crew north of the border but it's not going to work in the Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Where will they find the 10 plus votes they need if the Greens say no?

HR_Mattie_Michael.jpg?strip=all&lossy=1&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Heard the interview this morning ,
    Can’t say if he was lying only he knows that but he certainly was evasive and didn’t want to answer the question, didn’t come out of it well at all. Claimed he didn’t know about the story or the issue.

The more alarming aspect was his questioning the veracity of the story (by his own admission not knowing about it) based on the publication which basically amounted to an attack on the free press something his previous Dear Leader Gerry has form for. The Head of the charity (that’s now gone bust) even came out saying that the SF TD Violet-Anne Wynne owed I think 12K in arrears to the housing charity.

Her Anti Vax stuff just makes her look like SF’s answer to Gemma O'Doherty. Just shows though a lot of people didn’t know that candidates that they were voting for but saw the SF logo and gave them a vote.

The more airtime these SF TD’s get the more scrutiny they will come under, can only be a good thing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Accompanied by a ridiculously expensive shopping list, but heyho it's only taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Accompanied by a ridiculously expensive shopping list, but heyho it's only taxpayers money.

Hey people in Kerry and Tipperary pay tax too. Well, a little bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

That's 4

Advertisement