Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Suckit wrote: »
    They're not in power, don't have any control, so how would they be saving the country from them?
    You sound a little deluded.

The country is in the state it's in, purely because of the two parties still in power, that you claim are going to save it.

The country is in a good state.
    We have one of the highest standards of living in the world.
    Go to America and you’ll see real inequality.

I must say the salt from the shinners has an extra sting to it !! The people already getting freebies giving out they won’t get more freebies ! Don’t forget to add some pepper for some balance my friend !

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Should Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael not merge at this stage and form a Tory Conservative party , don’t think there’s much of a difference between them anymore ??
    Both want the status quo to remain , look after the rich or their buddies etc etc ...The Irish Conservative party ??
    Dev must be turning in his grave
    Won't happen as their candidates would lose an awful a lot of seats if they were the one party. No difference between the two, just people voting for them because their parents did. Like I've said before, there is an awful lot of weak minded people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I must say the salt from the shinners has an extra sting to it !! The people already getting freebies giving out they won’t get more freebies ! Don’t forget to add some pepper for some balance my friend !
    You keep telling yourself that.

As for comparing Ireland to America... :pac::rolleyes:

I need to see some of these examples that keep getting mentioned about the Shinners..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

The US treatment of homeless and poor is a disgrace. Honestly, Europeans have little to complain about with the supports (as poor as they can be) vs those the US gives. I walked San Francisco years ago and saw homeless like I have never seen here. Guy in bare dirty feet, eating out of a large bin, fighting off the seagulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

FF & FG are going save the country :pac::pac::pac:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Damien360 wrote: »
    The US treatment of homeless and poor is a disgrace. Honestly, Europeans have little to complain about with the supports (as poor as they can be) vs those the US gives. I walked San Francisco years ago and saw homeless like I have never seen here. Guy in bare dirty feet, eating out of a large bin, fighting off the seagulls.

Had roughly the same experience in San Fran about 10 years ago. Appalling levels of human degradation there.

No, America isn't any kind of bench mark for how you treat a population, by and stretch of the imagination. But that certainly doesn't mean that people should put up and shut up about the failings of our government here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Didn't realise it was the same poster...

It was you saying that FG and FF were going to save the country, and then following up with 'the country is in a good state'...

Hmmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

From FG & FF :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Should Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael not merge at this stage and form a Tory Conservative party , don’t think there’s much of a difference between them anymore ??
    Both want the status quo to remain , look after the rich or their buddies etc etc ...The Irish Conservative party ??
    Dev must be turning in his grave

A better question is why don't all the left leaning parties merge? It would make much more sense so they had a solid block to form a government. Vote left transfer left is pointless when they can't come to a deal afterwards.

I know it will never happen, because each have their own purity tests and attention seeking leaders, but given the circumstances it needs to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Foxtrol wrote: »
    A better question is why don't all the left leaning parties merge? It would make much more sense so they had a solid block to form a government. Vote left transfer left is pointless when they can't come to a deal afterwards.

I know it will never happen, because each have their own purity tests and attention seeking leaders, but given the circumstances it needs to be asked.

Who would want a Govt. with Gino Kenny, Mick Barry, Paul Murphy, et al in it.

C’mon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Different parties have different ethos, it’s different shades of left. What your proposing is effectively the American system of two parties albeit they don’t have any left. Right and left are just broad terms but it’s probably not a good way to just lump people in and expect them to agree. FG would be Center right and I doubt they have much in common with hard right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Sure that's why fg did so well in the election. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Lol indeed.

The only ones they are saving or trying to save is themselves. A real circle the wagons job.. They need each other now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

salmocab wrote: »
    Different parties have different ethos, it’s different shades of left. What your proposing is effectively the American system of two parties albeit they don’t have any left. Right and left are just broad terms but it’s probably not a good way to just lump people in and expect them to agree. FG would be Center right and I doubt they have much in common with hard right people.

I'm not proposing a two party system, I'm calling out how hypocritical it is to demand that FG and FF merge but not taking that mindset to all parties.

Parties of the centre/centre right have more in common than differentiates them, likewise those on the left. It doesn't mean they should all merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not proposing a two party system, I'm calling out how hypocritical it is to demand that FG and FF merge but not taking that mindset to all parties.

That's not people are saying though. Some folk are suggesting (facetiously in most cases) that FF and FG merge because there is little genuine difference between them nowadays.

That doesn't apply to the parties on the left, because it's a broader church of political opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

salmocab wrote: »

how are FG centre right ( in 2020 ) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,560 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

FF/FG/Greens the big favourite now for government. The bookies don't think SF will be in now. Big blow after last week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Instead of reading the lines, I've spent the last hour analysing statements in between the lines from politicians.

Fianna Fail have refused to rule out propping up a Sinn Fein led government in a confidence and supply motion but have in a coalition.

Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein are still talking despite this which suggests something is still at work.

Fianna Fail say they are talking to other parties but not Fine Gael yet, whilst Sinn Fein says similar.

Suggests that Fianna Fail may be willing to prop up a Sinn Fein / Left wing led minority government with confidence and supply?

Other than that FF/FG/Green looks likely, however FF and FG seem to be avoiding any contact at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

6 wrote: »
    FF/FG/Greens the big favourite now for government. The bookies don't think SF will be in now. Big blow after last week.

Big blow?

I wouldn't think so, they... do.... not....have...the... numbers, once again.....
    they do not have the numbers to form a coalition of the left, and with FF FG locking them out by circling the wagons, I reckon MLMD, Doherty, Carthy and O'Reilly etc will be happy enough being handed the main opposition party role.

McDonald certainly don't hold back and say nowt if Tweedle Dum and Dee are presiding over some dodgy deal or a bit of the auld cronyism.

Apart from that, with/if SF are the main opposition party, and dum/dee are forced to coalesce together, they might actually work together to benefit the state and not each other or their developer buddies or their redacted mates with a 37 seat strong shinners breathing down their necks.

SF will also be building up serious momentum and when FF FG make their inevitable funk up, one will inevitably shaft the other in a blame game, in comes the election, one or the two of FFG will be obliterated, and the shinners will return more seats.

It's a win win for everyone all round, and an end to two party politics. Sure you couldn't beat it with a big thorny one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Looks like ML still has some cleaning to do, possibly posted already.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5096652/sinn-fein-violet-anne-wynne-charity-rent-arrears/amp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Didn’t see too many others putting their shoulders to the wheel.

I'm sick of this shoulder to the wheel stuff. It's nothing more than soundbytes like tighten your belt.

Let me let you in on a secret. TDs and ministers aren't shoulders to the wheel. It's he ordinary worker, the person Manning the desk in and A and E . The individuals pouring Foundations on a pissing wet morning, the postman delivering post up a boreen or on house number one thousand in a Dublin suburb.

This guff about TDs putting their shoulder to a wheel it's a figment of your imagination. There is no shoulder and there is no wheel.

It's crap like this stemming from subservient attitudes where the person on the street is a thick and the folks in the offices of power are their betters.

Could you have been any more FG with your wording. I don't think so. Are you the FG press officer because you've had a sterling week with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Calhoun wrote: »
    Looks like ML still has some cleaning to do, possibly posted already.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5096652/sinn-fein-violet-anne-wynne-charity-rent-arrears/amp/
    Yeah, she has her own thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, she has her own thread!

Lol really, will have to check it out. The Reddit thread is great, anti vaxx ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sure that's why fg did so well in the election. Lol

Exactly. Its extraordinary that people who have it so good, do not appreciate those delivering them such high standards of living. The Irish really behaving like spoiled brats in this latest election. Both FG and FF did superbly well during the last government - there is simply no disputing this fact. But there are people who unthinkingly just put the boot in anyway and bitch as if they have the living standard of Bangladesh. Its brainless behavious and most unseemly and unbecoming.

listermint wrote: »
    This guff about TDs putting their shoulder to a wheel it's a figment of your imagination. There is no shoulder and there is no wheel.

It's crap like this stemming from subservient attitudes where the person on the street is a thick and the folks in the offices of power are their betters.

TDs work extremely hard. That doesnt fit the narrative of lazy gits on a gravy train though. But then, why let reality influence a good bitching. How many people know that a TDs salary is only €96k ? Yes. Think about that and the work they do, and its clear they arent taking the job for the money, but for public service, and to make a difference for the good of the people of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

6 wrote: »

This can potentially explode in FFG face. If thats the case this election, it will likel be the case next election, i.e. not wanting to go in with SF. If they dont make serious progress, which given they have done nothing, will be some turn about. They will be hammered even more, the next election...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Calhoun wrote: »
    Lol really, will have to check it out. The Reddit thread is great, anti vaxx ect.

Violet Anne Wynne SF TD for Clare is certainly making the news.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058054143

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Exactly. Its extraordinary that people who have it so good, do not appreciate those delivering them such high standards of living. The Irish really behaving like spoiled brats in this latest election. Both FG and FF did superbly well during the last government - there is simply no disputing this fact. But there are people who unthinkingly just put the boot in anyway and bitch as if they have the living standard of Bangladesh. Its brainless behavious and most unseemly and unbecoming.

I don't live in Bangladesh, I live in Ireland

And if I want to hold the previous government ministers to account for their failings then I'm entitled to do so - this utter bullsh1t of "well at least we're not in Bangladesh" is plain nonsense

For a developed country to have people sleeping on trolleys in hospitals, to have budgets for government projects spiraling out of control, to have career criminals repeatedly let loose on the streets, the total lack of support for children with special needs? Yes I will blame the incumbent government and yes I will vote for an alternative

to have career criminals repeatedly let loose on the streets

Thats a problem, yes. But not as big a problem as people electing career criminals as their representatives in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

Thats a problem, yes. But not as big a problem as people electing career criminals as their representatives in the Dail.

Or terrorists :)

Advertisement