Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

McMurphy wrote: »
    I have read this, then reread it, and then read it again and it still doesn't make sense.

What exactly are you asking?

She said FF or FG would be a disaster in government so she will talk to left parties about forming a government.

Yet everyone knew at the time a government couldn't be formed with left parties as the numbers aren't there.

Now she is saying she would talk to FF or FG even though she said either of them been in power would be a disaster.

I'm not surprised confused, we all are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

But the numbers weren't there for a left government and everyone knew it, yet Mary Lou tried.

She was either lying or can't do maths.

At least she was trying - she started before the final counts were even in. If there's another election people will remember that.

All they'll remember about ff/fg is they refused to form a gov when it was the most viable option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

maccored wrote: »
    Aye - meetings and discussions are how parties tease out partnerships. Maybe a weird idea to some - the whole idea of discussion and trying to do right by the people who voted for them.

The PIRA were brave and courageous to many in the north. That's just the way it is and reasons why are clearly too complicated to comprehend, especially for people who didn't live through it so I think it's a bit lazy to say when you think of sf in the south, it reminds you of a conflict and the IRA. Fair dues to Humes for talking to Adams because without those two there wouldn't have been a GFA. the IRA were needed by many 40 years ago. They're gone for well over a decade and there aren't too many left in the sf leadership who would have been actively involved.
    Bit lazy, a bit ingenious and says more about what you don't understand about sf rather than what you do

The only way SF were getting into government was with FF or FG, instead they have gone to everyone else first, knowing full well they didn't have the numbers.

The reality is that besides a few kinda normals high up in SF and I give them a pass on that, the rest of the SF voters gave a no1 scratch to anyone with a SF logo.

Total protest vote. But the background of many of their candidates are just below the surface terrorists. Up the RA, we will take over the Free State, we won't pay our rent, Black and Tans etc. It will never change.

And that's only scratching the surface.

I don't blame people looking for change, but I do object to those who are still wedded to the RA. And there are many of them right now. Will take a while to cull that I think.

Every election there's threads here saying sf have peaked - then after the election people say they only got more seats because of a protest vote. They had one TD 20 years ago and have basically just increased since then

At least she was trying - she started before the final counts were even in. If there's another election people will remember that.

All they'll remember about ff/fg is they refused to form a gov when it was the most viable option

Ah would you give it over!!

She tried to form a government that was never possible and we should applaud her for that!??

We all know she wants another election and it was all optics stating she'll try form a government

Pure lies and taking people for idiots

• Advertisement

The only way SF were getting into government was with FF or FG, instead they have gone to everyone else first, knowing full well they didn't have the numbers.

I hate repeating myself, but they went to 'everyone else first' to build up the number of seats interested in the same kind of things they are. Common sense really. At least they have tried to talk to all parties - not like a few others

Ah would you give it over!!

She tried to form a government that was never possible and we should applaud her for that!??

We all know she wants another election and it was all optics stating she'll try form a government

Pure lies and taking people for idiots

'Ah give over' isn't a very strong argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

At this stage, who cares what MLM is doing, it has been said many, many, many times (on this thread alone) that she doesn't have the numbers.

Okay.

Now we know.

What next?
    This isn't a Sinn Fein thread. It is okay to mention the other parties. What are they doing? F*ck all? Having 'private' meetings? Paying off people? Looking at how Denis O'Brien can take over Irish Rail? Looking at how much cash they could get for Dublin Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What's all that about? Making up stuff doesn't really fly

Which piece is made up ?

I hate repeating myself, but they went to 'everyone else first' to build up the number of seats interested in the same kind of things they are. Common sense really. At least they have tried to talk to all parties - not like a few others

Yet Mary Lou said FF or FG would be a disaster for the country.

So she's putting party before country?

• Advertisement

'Ah give over' isn't a very strong argument.

OK let's forget that.

What about the rest?

If there was another vote the SF vote will be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

They haven't refused to form a government just a government with the Shinners.
    We live in a democracy and political parties have this choice to reflect their supporters wishes. S.F
    are just getting uppity because they know the game is up. Another four years sitting on the opposition bench will do them the world of good.
    People will be fairly fed up of her whinging by then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

ted1 wrote: »
    Since the election

SF, up the Ra.. people got really put off by this.
    SF, we need Europe to pay for reunification. People are like WRF, mandate was housing and health. We made a mistake.

FF we won’t go to partnership with SF, fair play why would you go into a partner with a polar opposite party

FG, let SF go into government, it’ll be a **** storm they’ll fail and be wiped out next election

SF , blah blah people voted for change. No SF your vote grew by 10%. That’s all who voted for change for you. Far from a majority. You only had 24.5% and not enough like minded parties to form a government with

People got put off by a SF TD shouting up the RA? Really? Because the last month of constant IRA rehashed material being dragged up by the media didn't put them off already? I'd like some kind of definitive proof on this tbh, because I'm not buying it myself.

And FF/SF are polar opposite? No they're not, they're actually very similar, in fact I'd say they're so similar that that is why Michaél Martin in particular is shlttin a brick about the rise in SF, FF potray themselves as the republican party, left of centre, and SF are also a republican party, who are slowly moving into that same position.

Yeah - they may have that baggage of the conflict in the north behind them, but there's no denying they're party full of relatively young and innovative folk compared to the FF party who seem to have reached a plateau.

They (FF) will also find it tough to shake off the financial meltdown they had the country at only nine years ago.

FF only care that SF might very well make their brand as irrelevant political dinosaurs in comparison with their brand.

They can dress it up in whatever way they want to, but what it actually boils down to is that FF and FG have had the place to themselves for so bloody long that they don't want to embrace change, all this bluster about SF this and SF that is just that, bluster.

Truth is they just don't think anyone else should be allowed to govern, as they mistakenly believe that Ireland belongs to them.

I sent a few emails off this afternoon to some TDs from some of the smaller party's who may be approached by FF/ FG in the coming months, and informed them that they could potentially be singing their own party's death warrant if they allowed themselves to be mudguards for either or, and asked them to look at the fate of the Labour Party, the PDs and the mess the greens found themselves in last time.

Two party's pretending they're different, yet can collaborate to prevent anyone else countering their governance isn't on.

I suggest if other people share my thoughts, they should perhaps consider reminding their own TDs in their area of their thoughts, and remind them that when you give them a vote, it's not theirs to keep and you may well consider giving it to someone else next time.

It would be monumentally stupid for the likes of the socdems or greens who have actually just got some kind of a foothold rebuilding their party or in the case of the socdems - actually getting theirs of the ground to allow themselves to be used as buffers and cushions by the other two.

You might think it wouldn't make a difference, but believe me it will.

Yet Mary Lou said FF or FG would be a disaster for the country.

So she's putting party before country?

Aye, which they would be if they had more TDs than the leftists. Or ffg - that too. Jesus though- do you need your hand held through all of this. Terrible having to explain everything to some of ye. Use the oul head the odd time.

Which piece is made up ?

If it's not made up then it's the most childish observation I've seen yet

OK let's forget that.

What about the rest?

That she was trying to form a gov not that could never exist? How do you work that out? I don't ever remember sf saying they'd never go into gov with ff. in fact they always said they'd talk to everyone - which they tried to do.

You're just barking up the wrong tree. Wrong forest even.

It's ff and fg saying they won't talk to sf - not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's some overlap among the parties of the left. But it's still a broader range of opinion than that of modern day FF or FG according to some people.

Why are you so hung up on this. It's kind of silly.

You're the one that responded to my original post :confused:

I provided my point of view, with specific examples, and you've responded with vague statements supported by nothing and now seem to have fallen back to relying on 'according to some people'. It is kind of silly to get into a discussion where you have nothing to back up your opinion.

Aye, which they would be if they had more TDs than the leftists. Or ffg - that too. Jesus though- do you need your hand held through all of this. Terrible having to explain everything to some of ye. Use the oul head the odd time.

So why did Mary Lou try dorm a government with the leftists knowing the numbers didn't add up.

Would it be maybe she can tell her supporters that she tried but FF and FG wouldn't allow it?

And her loyal comrades will swallow it.

Lies.

If it's not made up then it's the most childish observation I've see no yet

Call it childish, call it stating the obvious. But it’s the general consensus from non SF fanboys

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    People got put off by a SF TD shouting up the RA? Really? Because the last month of constant IRA rehashed material being dragged up by the media didn't put them off already? I'd like some kind of definitive proof on this tbh, because I'm not buying it myself.

And FF/SF are polar opposite? No they're not, they're actually very similar, in fact I'd say they're so similar that that is why Michaél Martin in particular is shlttin a brick about the rise in SF, FF potray themselves as the republican party, left of centre, and SF are also a republican party, who are slowly moving into that same position.

Yeah - they may have that baggage of the conflict in the north behind them, but there's no denying they're party full of relatively young and innovative folk compared to the FF party who seem to have reached a plateau.

They (FF) will also find it tough to shake off the financial meltdown they had the country at only nine years ago.

FF only care that SF might very well make their brand as irrelevant political dinosaurs in comparison with their brand.

They can dress it up in whatever way they want to, but what it actually boils down to is that FF and FG have had the place to themselves for so bloody long that they don't want to embrace change, all this bluster about SF this and SF that is just that, bluster.

Truth is they just don't think anyone else should be allowed to govern, as they mistakenly believe that Ireland belongs to them.

I sent a few emails off this afternoon to some TDs from some of the smaller party's who may be approached by FF/ FG in the coming months, and informed them that they could potentially be singing their own party's death warrant if they allowed themselves to be mudguards for either or, and asked them to look at the fate of the Labour Party, the PDs and the mess the greens found themselves in last time.

Two party's pretending they're different, yet can collaborate to prevent anyone else countering their governance isn't on.

I suggest if other people share my thoughts, they should perhaps consider reminding their own TDs in their area of their thoughts, and remind them that when you give them a vote, it's not theirs to keep and you may well consider giving it to someone else next time.

It would be monumentally stupid for the likes of the socdems or greens who have actually just got some kind of a foothold rebuilding their party or in the case of the socdems - actually getting theirs of the ground to allow themselves to be used as buffers and cushions by the other two.

You might think it wouldn't make a difference, but believe me it will.
    Why not just accept that Mary Lou's bluff has been called?
    The bullying and intimidation suffered by the S.D.L.P. at the hands of Provo/S.F. scum should be enough of a warning to the small left wing groups in the Dail as to what the Shinners plans are for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Since the election

SF, up the Ra.. people got really put off by this.
    SF, we need Europe to pay for reunification. People are like WRF, mandate was housing and health. We made a mistake.

FF we won’t go to partnership with SF, fair play why would you go into a partner with a polar opposite party

FG, let SF go into government, it’ll be a **** storm they’ll fail and be wiped out next election

SF , blah blah people voted for change. No SF your vote grew by 10%. That’s all who voted for change for you. Far from a majority. You only had 24.5% and not enough like minded parties to form a government with

As usual you miss the point, but that happen when your view is totally blinkered.

Lets imagine it wasnt SF that surged ahead but instead it was Lab. What would be the result?

I'm pretty certain the first order of business for both FF and FG would be wanting their leaders head on a plate. Especially when both leaders had to wait for at least 5 counts to even get elected.

Next it would be the party faithful demanding that there be dramatic change in policy. They would want to know why their party lost at least 10 seats and more. There would be outright rebellion by the ordinary party members if significant and immediate changes were not put in place.

The reason you have FF and FG TD's deflecting to SF is because they know for a fact this election has been a total and utter disaster for both parties, and there's no other way to put it. By putting the onus on SF, FG and FF frontbenchers are hoping the storm will blow over in their own camps, by directing party members anger to SF.

The problem is now that those same FF FG front benchers know that they have backed themselves into a corner. They will do the very thing they promised not to do which is form a FF/FG coalition for which they know they will be punished by the electorate at the next election but also knowing that to go back to the polls is likely to see many more front benchers loses their seats.
    The front benchers from both parties are in self preservation mode and that is the plain and simple truth.

That she was trying to form a gov not that could never exist? How do you work that out? I don't ever remember sf saying they'd never go into gov with ff. in fact they always said they'd talk to everyone - which they tried to do.

You're just barking up the wrong tree. Wrong forest even.

It's ff and fg saying they won't talk to sf - not the other way around

She said she wants a government without FF or FG as it would a disaster for the country.

So she'll try form a government with the left knowing the numbers werent there.

For the 5th time, was she lying or is she bad at maths??

Edgware wrote: »
    They haven't refused to form a government just a government with the Shinners.
    We live in a democracy and political parties have this choice to reflect their supporters wishes. S.F
    are just getting uppity because they know the game is up. Another four years sitting on the opposition bench will do them the world of good.
    People will be fairly fed up of her whinging by then

I got as afar as your first line and decided not to bother reading more. They have brought on a stalemate by refusing to talk sf. If you don't understand that then good luck

Interesting conversation between Billy Hutchinson and Eamon Dunphy on his podcast. This surge for SF is putting security at risk up north. SF don't seem to be very pragmatic with regards power sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You're the one that responded to my original post :confused:

In which I said the following..
    That's not people are saying though. Some folk are suggesting (facetiously in most cases) that FF and FG merge because there is little genuine difference between them nowadays.

That doesn't apply to the parties on the left, because it's a broader church of political opinion.

Personally, I don't care who merges or doesn't, because it's a all a fantasy anyway. But you seem to have a real bugbear for some reason.

She said she wants a government without FF or FG as it wobe a disaster for the country.

So she'll try form a government with the left knowing the numbers werent there.

For the 5th time, was she lying or is she bad at maths??

Christ on a bike

If FF has less power in gov than sf and the other left sides, then it wouldn't matter about ff. the fact you've asked 5 times says more about yourself than anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

So why did Mary Lou try dorm a government with the leftists knowing the numbers didn't add up.

Would it be maybe she can tell her supporters that she tried but FF and FG wouldn't allow it?

And her loyal comrades will swallow it.

Lies.

She has controlled the media, the narrative, for the week.
    Front page of every paper daily; main news item.
    She is trying to put a govt together to implement “change” - which is what the people voted for, but is being blocked by FF (in particular).
    She is trying hard to solve the homeless/housing/childcare issues because the people voted for “change”.
    She is killing it - chapeau

efanton wrote: »
    As usual you miss the point, but that happen when your view is totally blinkered.

Lets imagine it wasnt SF they surged ahead but instead it was Lab. What would be the result?

The numbers don’t reflect such a surge,

FF have more seats
    FG are only a few behind

24.5% V 22.2% v 20.9%

It’s not to different, from the way SF are talking you’d think they had 80%

• Advertisement

I got as afar as your first line and decided not to bother reading more. They have brought on a stalemate by refusing to talk sf. If you don't understand that then good luck

I accept that you have a low attention threshold. Reading one liner propaganda statements has that effect

Advertisement