Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Funny when I referenced this along with the Soc Dems increase in the vote share you were dismissive. It really is hard to take you seriously.

Aren’t the Soc Dems FF lite ? Or was just Donnelly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

ted1 wrote: »
    How is it anti democratic?
    The majority of people voted in a free and open election and A SF member didn’t get elected.

We democratically elected a Green, PBP, FG and a FF.

And off the 4, 3 will probably be in power

I’d like to think FG and FF have listened and change their approach to housing and health.

Where have they announced they will change anything?

That's a genuine question. I hope they have because at the end of the day it can only be good for the country if they do form a government.

efanton wrote: »
    Where have they announced they will change anything?

That's a genuine question. I hope they have because at the end of the day it can only be good for the country if they do form a government.

Reread what I said “I’d like to think “
    They would be foolish if they didn’t feel the kick up the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So you want SF in government but only if they set up to fail. Seems reasonable.lol.

It would be ironic if they managed to do the full slate of Change that they promised. Only for the electorate to turn round and dump them because the people want Change. Just give someone else a chance like, sure they couldn't be any worse than the present lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How is it anti democratic?
    The majority of people voted in a free and open election and A SF member didn’t get elected.

We democratically elected a Green, PBP, FG and a FF.

And off the 4, 3 will probably be in power

I’d like to think FG and FF have listened and change their approach to housing and health.
    Sinn Fein won the popular vote. They have more seats than FG.

I don't like SF but even i can see they should be involved in any coalition. They three parties should have formed a coalition and just got on with it.

THAT would have been democratic. I still would have hated that coalition but its democratic.

And don't fool yourself for a second thinking that FF and FG voters won't vote SF now they know SF is a real possibility. They will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

So you want SF in government but only if they set up to fail. Seems reasonable.lol.

I think anybody that takes over the role of health is going to suffer in the next election, that’s my point. It will take radical reform to improve things. No amount of money will fix it. I think the housing situation will be less of an issue in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

maccored wrote: »
    They probably also remember that ffg have really gave the two fingers to the people who voted for neither of them this time round by refusing the talk to SF about forming a government.

How do you know?

FF and FG told their voters that they would NOT go into coalition with SF.
    Now you think the same voters will punish them for abiding by that promise.

LOL, can I have what you are smoking? :P

It would be ironic if they managed to do the full slate of Change that they promised. Only for the electorate to turn round and dump them because the people want Change. Just give someone else a chance like, sure they couldn't be any worse than the present lot.

We have over 300,000 employed in FDI
    companies. Who they want to tax heavily. So yes they could be a lot worse. If they where to pull out.

We have a lot of staff on over 150k who are paying 52% tax, they want to tax them higher, if they move we’ll lose a lot of tax , so yes it could be worse.

They want to increase social housing and payments. Without the tax take from above it could get a lot worse.

I’ve been made redundant from Intel, IBM and Motorola so don’t be under the impression that the companies will hang around because they have a large presence here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Reread what I said “I’d like to think “
    They would be foolish if they didn’t feel the kick up the arse

Yes I agree. At the end of the day some issues should be way beyond party politics and point scoring.

I would like to think the same that FG and FF would make a serious adjustment to their housing policy. I could see FF doing it, personally I cant see FG doing it

Yes I agree. At the end of the day some issues should be way beyond party politics and point scoring.

I would like to think the same that FG and FF would make a serious adjustment to their housing policy. I could see FF doing it, personally I cant see FG doing it
    Neither of them will do it.

Both are made up of landlords and 'friendly' in the biblical sense with landlords friendly in a way only a politician can be.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fine-gael-heads-the-landlord-list-as-tds-cash-in-with-property-cwn5j9sv3

The article is about FG but FF are the same if not worse. Neither party will help the housing crisis as its in their personal financial interests to make it worse.

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein won the popular vote. They have more seats than FG

No denial but they are left wing, both FF and FG are slightly right of Center and between them have close to 50% and that’s after taking a hammering.

The popular vote difference between FF and SF was less than 2% so not a huge number particularly if you take in to account how bad FF and FG have performed in the last few years

No denial but they are left wing, both FF and FG are slightly right of Center and between them have close to 50% and that’s after taking a hammering.

The popular vote difference between FF and SF was less than 2% so not a huge number particularly if you take in to account how bad FF and FG have performed in the last few years
    I see it differently.

People vote FG or FF because they think that is who will win.

A vote for FG is a vote against FF ..a vote for FF is a vote against FG.

No one likes FF. They wanted to kick FG arse.

If SF becomes a real possibility i could see them taking some voters from both parties ....particularly FF.

Also .....50% voted left .....yet we again have a center right govt ....and tbh ..i would think even people who voted for them ..don't like their policies ...they are just stuck in the its either FF or FG paradigm.

Neither of them will do it.

Both are made up of landlords and 'friendl[/url]

I’ve seen this brandished about and need to correct you , if FG and FF were a landlord party they:
    1: would make LPT a council tax payable by tenant
    2: not make it compulsory for landlords to take HAP
    3: make tenants register with PRTB not landlords
    4: not give tenants 6 years tenure after 6 months
    5: make it easy to evict non paying tenants
    6: make it easy to collect unpaid rent and or damages
    7: not charge USC on rental income
    8: allow PRTB, LPT and management fees deductible expenses
    9: make 100% of mortgage interest deductible
    10: not make BER mandatory
    11: allow landlords who currently charge below market rate increase it beyond the RPZ limits. As it affects resale value

And I’m sure I’m forgetting other things.

I see it differently.

People vote FG or FF because they think that is who will win.

A vote for FG is a vote against FF ..a vote for FF is a vote against FG.

No one likes FF. They wanted to kick FG arse.

If SF becomes a real possibility i could see them taking some voters from both parties ....particularly FF.

Also .....50% voted left .....yet we again have a center right govt ....and tbh ..i would think even people who voted for them ..don't like their policies ...they are just stuck in the its either FF or FG paradigm.

If 50% voted left they could form a coalition. Many of the independents are FF or FG who didn’t support same sex or abortion and left the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I do see things changing on housing. Residential house construction is ramping up. Thats clear as day.
    Thousands of homes have got planning permission in the last few weeks including this week alone with the Connolly quarter with 741 homes and a north east Docklands scheme with over 1000 homes and that's only the big ones.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I do see things changing on housing. Residential house construction is ramping up. Thats clear as day.
    Thousands of homes have got planning permission in the last few weeks including this week alone with the Connolly quarter with 741 homes and a north east Docklands scheme with over 1000 homes and that's only the big ones.

Through in the glass bottoling plant in ringsend, shanganah castle and cherrywood and that several thousand alone in south Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

I was at a talk 12 years ago In communist party of Ireland base. they had a number of left ideology speakers naturally. One speaker that caught my attention was Eoin OBroin. Regardless of your political views he has class about him and is a future leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Whatever they decide to do either form a gov. or go back and vote again a bit of certainty would be nice at least. Kind of in no man’s land at the moment.Maybe by this time next week things will be a bit clearer. Remember back to last election and again gov. took ages to form. Far from ideal imo. Don’t relish the thought of having to vote again in a few weeks though but if it has to be done so be it.

If 50% voted left they could form a coalition. Many of the independents are FF or FG who didn’t support same sex or abortion and left the party.
    Keep telling your deluded self that. I am sure FG and FF will tell themselves the same.

If there is one party FG voters hate its FF and if there is one party FF voters hate its FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If there is one party FG voters hate its FF and if there is one party FF voters hate its FG.

True, but it looks like they both hate SF.

Gabriel Manigault in his 1884 Political Creed described the sense that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" as a "natural feeling"

charlie14 wrote: »
    True, but it looks like they both hate SF.

Gabriel Manigault in his 1884 Political Creed described the sense that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" as a "natural feeling"
    Maybe you are right.

I don't think all of their voters hate SF though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I’ve seen this brandished about and need to correct you , if FG and FF were a landlord party they:
    1: would make LPT a council tax payable by tenant
    2: not make it compulsory for landlords to take HAP
    3: make tenants register with PRTB not landlords
    4: not give tenants 6 years tenure after 6 months
    5: make it easy to evict non paying tenants
    6: make it easy to collect unpaid rent and or damages
    7: not charge USC on rental income
    8: allow PRTB, LPT and management fees deductible expenses
    9: make 100% of mortgage interest deductible
    10: not make BER mandatory
    11: allow landlords who currently charge below market rate increase it beyond the RPZ limits. As it affects resale value

And I’m sure I’m forgetting other things.

Are you a landlord ted?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Are you a landlord ted?

That’s irrelevant, the list is true and reasons why they are not the landlord party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That’s irrelevant, the list is true and reasons why they are not the landlord party.

What's true isn't really important anymore though is it?

It's all about perception and if you repeat something enough...

SF don't claim to be a landlord party, they made their election campaign about the rental/housing and health campaign after all, and how certain elements need to be addressed within these sectors.

Irrelevant?

You are obviously not obliged to answer me, we're just two anonymous posters on boards afterall, but I'm getting a clearer picture now of where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

So why did Mary Lou try dorm a government with the leftists knowing the numbers didn't add up.

Would it be maybe she can tell her supporters that she tried but FF and FG wouldn't allow it?

And her loyal comrades will swallow it.

Lies.
    There was an absolute outside possibility if all parties agreed plus nearly all indos but her, you and everyone else including me realised that would be a non-runner, Labour barrelling to the backbenches didn't help either.

The other side of it, to form a bigger left minded bloc to negotiate with either of FF or FG.
    That's what talking does, no commitments but teases out what is possible/impossible.

I think that's a reasonable stance to take and one that will IMO go down better than the FF or FG public display at the minute.

is_that_so wrote: »

It wouldn't be surprising, if there'd be another rising, said the man from the daily mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

43.1%
    Left 'change' parties 41.9%

Note as always, the 43.1% is continually declining from an average 80% in recent memory.

Advertisement