Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Because there's very good reason to believe hooking up with SF could make things a whole lot worse for FF.
    As opposed to....?
    If they think things won't get a whole lot worse hooking up with each other, they are grossly misunderestimating the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Suckit wrote: »
    What's that about?

Way too fractured. Too much self interest. One of them will pull the plug when they don’t get it their way and we are back to the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As opposed to....?
    If they think things won't get a whole lot worse hooking up with each other, they are grossly misunderestimating the public.

They don't seem to get it that 'circling the wagons', is likely to further weaken them.

It would damage them to now go in with SF...my point is that that was the wrong strategy to go into the campaign with.
    Like the DUP, they cannot seem to see beyond their hidebound bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

As opposed to....?

Going forward, there's guaranteed to be a conservative/centrist/anti-SF bloc of at least one-third of the electorate. Worst-case scenario, FF comes out of a coalition with FG with the support of a bit less than half of that bloc, so roughly where they were in 2011.
    If they did a deal with SF, they could easily end up with no constituency at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

is_that_so wrote: »

More propaganda. The war is over. The politics of this country is steeped in armed conflict. All the major parties at one time or another were involved in fighting but because SF is more recent well over 20 years ago it is used as a propaganda weapon. All getting a bit tedious really. The Irish Times, RTE and others were all part of the propaganda machine in the week before the election but it didn't work. I'd argue it did more harm than good to their cause. People seen right through their shameless propaganda campaign. I hope theres another election SF will get my 1st and 2nd vote and ill fill the ballot right down with every candidate except FF and FG. About time this country fought back with people power.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Maybe you are right.

I don't think all of their voters hate SF though.

Perhaps not, but then perhaps not all of that 24.5% of those that voted SF hate either of the other two either. Eight months ago in the local elections the SF vote was 9.5%.
    SF hit on the message vote for change without even believing themselves it would resonate with voters the way it did. Lets be honest here, running 42 candidates was more about holding what they had than making gains.
    That message over-shadowed everything else in the campaign, with essentially the floating vote.
    If there is a re-run of the election then there is more than a fair chance that floating vote will be looking more to the bones of message of all parties as to what changes they propose and how they will be paid for.
    Something imo that were gone into in very little detail this time out.

More propaganda. The war is over. The politics of this country is steeped in armed conflict. All the parties at one time or another were involved in fighting but because SF is more recent well over 20 years ago it is used as a propaganda weapon. All getting a bit tedious really. The Irish Times, RTE and others were all part of the propaganda machine in the week before the election but it didn't work. I'd argue it did more harm than good to their cause. People seen right through their shameless propaganda campaign. I hope theres another election SF will get my 1st and 2nd vote and ill fill the ballot right down with every candidate except FF and FG. About time this country fought back with people power.

You might be as well to leave out IS/PBP as well.
    Mick Barry today on RTE radio was calling for people to take to the streets if there is not a government made up of only left wing parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

More propaganda. The war is over. The politics of this country is steeped in armed conflict. All the parties at one time or another were involved in fighting but because SF is more recent well over 20 years ago it is used as a propaganda weapon. All getting a bit tedious really. The Irish Times, RTE and others were all part of the propaganda machine in the week before the election but it didn't work. I'd argue it did more harm than good to their cause. People seen right through their shameless propaganda campaign. I hope theres another election SF will get my 1st and 2nd vote and ill fill the ballot right down with every candidate except FF and FG. About time this country fought back with people power.

I can't remember the Greens being involved in any conflict except maybe vegans versus vegetarians. Get the big anti establishment chip off your shoulder. Every party has a mandate not only the Shinner. If people dont like S.F. policies maybe there is a reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

charlie14 wrote: »
    Mick Barry today on RTE radio was calling for people to take to the streets if there is not a government made up of only left wing parties.
    What a gob****e? Ignore the democratic wishes by street protests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

His solution to everything is for people to take to the streets.

If there's too many people taking to the streets, he'd still recommend people to take to the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

look, the FFG crowd, keep pushing this angle, its something you either care about or dont, I wish they would stop trying to influence people with "but they are murderers" I am living in 2020, FFG are a farce and are seriously damaging many lives here now, TODAY! The scaremongering is farcical too, FFG talking about prudence? I dont even need to elaborate. Also SF cant do what they want, EU vets our budget, they needs other to prop them up, we have massive debt and it looks like we have a competent banking regulator. This scaremongering about what will happen with them if they get in, I wait to see with bated breath if they, will answer things once and for all... whether its positive or negative...

Edgware wrote: »
    What a gob****e? Ignore the democratic wishes by street protests.

Are you seriously advocating that people should take to the streets in protest because the party they voted for did not end up in a democratically elected government.?
    Especially when this type of behaviour is being advocated by an irresponsible loudmouth who does not want to go into government with anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If I was composing a cross party list of oddballs who have got elected Mick Barry would be on it. There is no logic there, at all.

O'Cuiv seems to a small minority of FF TDs who think FF should go in with SF. He expresssed his view at the parliamentary party meeting and it didn't prevail.

How did Helen McEntee (among others) get voted in again. She seems to be incapable of speaking her own thoughts. Even today she was back repeating "the onus is on Sinn Fein to form a government, they wre elected by the people..." Could somebody please coach her in FG's latest line.
    She is bd enough without having to repeat the repeated.

Another example of people voting for the party and not the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

only there because of what happened with her father tbh. gets way too way much credit on brexit for doing sfa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

How did Helen McEntee (among others) get voted in again. She seems to be incapable of speaking her own thoughts. Even today she was back repeating "the onus is on Sinn Fein to form a government, they wre elected by the people..." Could somebody please coach her in FG's latest line.
    She is bd enough without having to repeat the repeated.

Another example of people voting for the party and not the person.

Did a great job in my opinion, put Louise O’Reilly in her box today and spoke sense all the way through.

First time I heard O’Reilly getting a new one chipped out for herself.

Well done Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Has the SF / left coalition been completely ruled out yet or are they all too busy deflecting responsibility by still blaming FF and FG (this time for not going into government replacing the previous get them out!)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Did a great job in my opinion, put Louise O’Reilly in her box today and spoke sense all the way through.

First time I heard O’Reilly getting a new one chipped out for herself.

Well done Helen

FG supporter thinks FG TD did a great job, in other news scientists have discovered water is wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Mick Barry is indeed a bit much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yurt! wrote: »
    Mick Barry is indeed a bit much

Pity the people in CNC don’t give that idiot the boot, all the guy does is attend picket lines irrespective of what the issues are.

Complete and utter tosser in my opinion.

Pity the people in CNC don’t give that idiot the boot, all the guy does is attend picket lines irrespective of what the issues are.

Complete and utter tosser in my opinion.

I see Alan Farrell was re-elected, despite his dodgy insurance claim. I would have thought the decent FG voters in his consistency would have baulked at voting for someone of such low morals. It really is party before person.

I see Alan Farrell was re-elected, despite his dodgy insurance claim. I would have thought the decent FG voters in his consistency would have baulked at voting for someone of such low morals. It really is party before person.

James Riley was the other option. A Hobson`s Choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow if she is that incapable of thinking on her feet FG handlers will indeed have to ensure she is rigorously coached before every interview...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Farrell tried to hand over his council seat on the sly to his wife when he was elected as TD. His local cumann cockblocked his attempts to do so and then he immediately hired her as his parliamentary assistant. She promptly went on maternity leave I think I recall.

Say what you want about SF, but it is my understanding they don't allow family members to be hired as parliamentary assistants or secreteries (one of the most cynical and sleeveen practices in Leinster House) - parliamentary assistants are assigned to TDs from a pool of party workers / members.

I often work out that direction and there seems to be a genuine feeling of bemusement by so many out there.

The other FG option (as mentioned) was James Reilly, whom seems to be just taking space on the polling sheet, He is also the reason Farrell got in, in the first place.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Farrell tried to hand over his council seat on the sly to his wife when he was elected as TD. His local cumann cockblocked his attempts to do so and then he immediately hired her as his parliamentary assistant. She promptly went on maternity leave I believe.

Say what you want about SF, but it is my understanding they don't allow family members to be hired as parliamentary assistants (one of the most cynical and sleeveen practices in Leinster House) - parliamentary assistants are assigned to TDs from a pool of party workers / members.

Didn't Maria Bailey also hire her father as hers?
    It was Farrells first act as TD. Surely Reilly has admitted defeat at this stage?
    https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-independent/20110314/285220189440604

James Riley was the other option. A Hobson`s Choice.

I didn't realise FG was so short on .....ahem talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Edgware wrote: »
    I can't remember the Greens being involved in any conflict except maybe vegans versus vegetarians. Get the big anti establishment chip off your shoulder. Every party has a mandate not only the Shinner. If people dont like S.F. policies maybe there is a reason for it.

That "chip" on my shoulder did not appear for no reason. Both FF and Fg have had their chance and made a mess of it. As for the Green Party they are only around since the early eighties, give them a chance they may take up arms soon. Time for change. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

Both FF and Fg have had their chance and made a mess of it.

Was making us 3rd on the HDI making "a mess of it"?

Advertisement