Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

retalivity wrote: »
    I normally dont condone abuse but noonan is one evil prick that i will be happy to never hear off again til the day he dies. At which point i will have a large whiskey.

I think it's a given that most politicians are pretty contemptuous of those who vote them into power, but in Noonan's case that contempt was palpable and he displayed it like a badge of pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why do you say that ? If the argument that the onus is on the parties most voted for to form a coalition, then surely it must be a SF/FF/FG one ? No ?

Was just going to say that. And surely Labour and the Tories should be getting together after every British election...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No.

Key question now is whether FF end up the largest party. These guys seem pretty sure they will but I'm not enough of a psephologist to judge.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0208/1114068-exit-poll-analysis/
    https://news.sky.com/story/irish-general-election-astounding-exit-poll-predicts-three-way-tie-11929708
    If they are then the scenario will play out as I outlined in another thread:

Martin's first choice is a 'soft left' coalition with Labour, Greens etc. If the numbers are not there for that there's a 'confidence and supply' offer from FG on the table. Can't envisage the circumstances where he would be going anywhere near SF

This does seem the outcome alright. Interesting to see how SF gets on as potentially not even the biggest opposition party through the next Dail, and how they can try to progress beyond the 30 seat mark at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So, to sum up the current situation with the parties...someone has to make a move or we go back to the polls most likely.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Those are big IFFs though. So it really isnt even almost without doubt really, is it ?

Not big IF's at all.

FF will either have to chose to form a government with FG, or choose to form a government with SF.
    Its a simple decision. Not that many IF's at all

The outside shot is that both FF ad FG decide to retire to the opposition benches and let SF form a minority government, but could you really see that as an option.

As I wondered, what do you think is going through Micheal Martins mind right now?
    Either way FF are screwed and poor old Martin can say goodbye to standing for Taoiseach in the next general election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Suit me right now if FF/FG just carried on with their coalition. Another 4/5 years would be the end of them.

This might be the biggest risk for Govt formation at the moment.

There is a movement for change, but all sides might decide that sitting out the next Govt as opposition, and therefore being the alternative, would suit them.

A FF FG arrangement again could see them worried SF gain more.

FG sitting back and watching SF and FF try to work together after the relative stability of last 9 years could suit them too.

FF as central party under most pressure to do a deal with either side dependant on final result.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Thats a good thing. It allows them to indulge the more simple voter that he is voting for change, the more sophisticated voter who doesnt want change to switch his vote knowing that they are effectively the same thing. It suits Irelands political choice handsomely.

Good for the likes of you maybe. But things are obviously changing now, thankfully.

Don't think Varadker would accept being MM's bitch, FG arrogance is a strange beast
    Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I can't see FG doing that looking at FF dropping support and probably seats.

Quite. I hope I'm wrong. C&S #2 would be a massive Foxtrot Yankee to the country.

Was just going to say that. And surely Labour and the Tories should be getting together after every British election...

Yes. Just pointing out that Johnny's reasoning does not stand up.

listermint wrote: »
    Then you'll know the house prices so.

They aren't the same level as areas around them including older council areas.

Lottery money indeed.....

you seem determined to ignore that anyone who got their house under affordable or social terms -purchased or renting- is avoiding what for others is a cost of thousands every month

or do you just take it for granted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why do you say that ? If the argument that the onus is on the parties most voted for to form a coalition, then surely it must be a SF/FF/FG one ? No ?

FF and SF will have almost 80 seats between them. That’s what the electorate will have expressed a preference for. Time for the parties to sit down and work out a programme for government after that. The last thing Ireland needs is months of party political bullshît while the delicate business of an EU trade deal with the UK takes place without us having a government.

So, to sum up the current situation with the parties...someone has to make a move or we go back to the polls most likely.

giphy.gif

No. Varadkar has already said he would be prepared to support a minority FF government if FF are the largest party. Martin has reluctantly conceded he would go along with that if he had to. No movement required

giphy.gif

No. It looks like a rainbow coalition, or FG supporting an FF minority govt.
    They other permutation are pretty much off the tablenow unless the exit poll is misleading or has bigger error margins than its claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No.

Key question now is whether FF end up the largest party. These guys seem pretty sure they will but I'm not enough of a psephologist to judge.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0208/1114068-exit-poll-analysis/
    https://news.sky.com/story/irish-general-election-astounding-exit-poll-predicts-three-way-tie-11929708
    If they are then the scenario will play out as I outlined in another thread:

Martin's first choice is a 'soft left' coalition with Labour, Greens etc. If the numbers are not there for that there's a 'confidence and supply' offer from FG on the table. Can't envisage the circumstances where he would be going anywhere near SF

Greens with half a dozen seats and Labour on less than they had, 57varieties of Independant with shopping lists that make no sense, it's FF/SF with Healy Raes and a few other FF genepool inependants, Lowry will probably offer his services for the usual fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

efanton wrote: »
    Not big IF's at all.

FF will either have to chose to form a government with FG, or choose to form a government with SF.
    Its a simple decision. Not that many IF's at all

The outside shot is that both FF ad FG decide to retire to the opposition benches and let SF form a minority government, but could you really see that as an option.

As I wondered, what do you think is going through Micheal Martins mind right now?
    Either way FF are screwed and poor old Martin can say goodbye to standing for Taoiseach in the next general election.

FG could decide to form a government with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

FG will probably end up in government again. Judging by the voting demographics for SF, their 2 priorities will be to get houses built and the pension age.

That’ll wipe out the SF protest vote.
    You should lead FG, if only they'd done this years ago rather than protecting vested interest groups:)

retalivity wrote: »
    I normally dont condone abuse but noonan is one evil prick that i will be happy to never hear off again til the day he dies. At which point i will have a large whiskey.

i was ****ed outtve a thread about brian cowan once for saying fairly similar to this, my appeal was treated with some disdain and all!

storker wrote: »
    Quite. I hope I'm wrong. C&S #2 would be a massive Foxtrot Yankee to the country.

How so that, if they are the two largest parties elected ? Surely that means they most represent the will of the people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭tastyt

I get it, people are sick of some of the issues facing the country and want change so voted SF.

I also get that people think FG took over an absolute **** show and steadied the ship somewhat and the economy / employment is in a healthy enough place so voted FG.

But whoever the **** voted for FF needs a good look at themselves. If they hadnt broke us as a nation, forcing half our young people to the other side of the world for employment while lining their own fat pockets then we might be in a better position overall in health, housing, law & order.

i was ****ed outtve a thread about brian cowan once for saying fairly similar to this, my appeal was treated with some disdain and all!

Would anyone step forth to support Michael Noonan? I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

efanton wrote: »
    The outside shot is that both FF ad FG decide to retire to the opposition benches and let SF form a minority government, but could you really see that as an option..

That would be actually funny. People Before Profit & co who made very comfortable living from knowing they will never have to govern might be suddenly in trouble. Ruth Coppinger woul have to try to implement her ideas. I wouldn't overly worry about the country because the
    government wouldn't last more than a year but it would be a mad year.

How so that, if they are the two largest parties elected ? Surely that means they most represent the will of the people ?

Because it would mean "business as usual".

FF and SF will have almost 80 seats between them. That’s what the electorate will have expressed a preference for. Time for the parties to sit down and work out a programme for government after that. The last thing Ireland needs is months of party political bullshît while the delicate business of an EU trade deal with the UK takes place without us having a government.

How can you possibly reason that. FF and FG would have 90 to 100 seats and be much closer politically. Surely that is a much better implementation of the electorates expressed wishes ?

easypazz wrote: »
    FG could decide to form a government with SF.

Yeah and the entire Dail could get together and vote Mattie McGrath as taoiseach...

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's my take on things too. Can't realistically see any actual changes going on.

Bu a surge in Shinner support will certainly have a "kick up the arse" effect on the usual bozos.

We can but hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

No. It looks like a rainbow coalition, or FG supporting an FF minority govt.
    They other permutation are pretty much off the tablenow unless the exit poll is misleading or has bigger error margins than its claiming.

I would argue the rainbow coalition if off the table too.

If SF do as well as expected their transfers are less likely to go to FF or FG.
    Yes the numbers might potentially be there for a FF lead rainbow coalition but it would end up being an extremely unstable rainbow government.
    Would FF take that risk knowing that if their rainbow government collapsed SF are likely to field far more candidates and take far more seats in a subsequent election?

This has to be the nightmare scenario for FF HQ.

storker wrote: »
    Because it would mean "business as usual".

But if that what the people voted for...

tastyt wrote: »
    I get it, people are sick of some of the issues facing the country and want change so voted SF.

I also get that people think FG took over an absolute **** show and steadied the ship somewhat and the economy / employment is in a healthy enough place so voted FG.

But whoever the **** voted for FF needs a good look at themselves. If they hadnt broke us as a nation, forcing half our young people to the other side of the world for employment while lining their own fat pockets then we might be in a better position overall in health, housing, law & order.

Agreed. They should have been wiped off the the political map. Would have been a good system if we were left with one centre right party and strong, left leaning opposition.

Yeah and the entire Dail could get together and vote Mattie McGrath as taoiseach...

I think there is something in the constitution about that accent that means they woudnt be allowed to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FG and FF (particularly) adamant claims that they won't go in with SF didn't buy them a single percentage increase from 2016.

There will be a few backbenchers and leadership contenders mulling that one over.

Advertisement