Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yurt! wrote: »
    Could be another election yet. I think it's only right that people keep flogging and drawing attention until then.

It's nice that they want to hide with a paper bag over their heads, but until a government is formed, they should at least pretend that they having the national interest in mind.

But the people don't trust them to have the national interest at heart.

They will be accused of all sorts.

Sure I already see a march is planned if they get back into government.

They have got the hint, they're not wanted.

If FG are out of ideas and need to rebuild the party into something relevant, they should look to support a minority government in this situation. 'For the good of the country' and all that. May boost their popularity.

For the good of the country?

They had 9 years as peoole like you say.

And they made it worst.

Surely the best thing they can do for the good of the country is stay away from government before they make things worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If FG are out of ideas and need to rebuild the party into something relevant, they should look to support a minority government in this situation. 'For the good of the country' and all that. May boost their popularity.

Loads of ideas, Francis. Don’t worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

For the good of the country?

They had 9 years as peoole like you say.

And they made it worst.

Surely the best thing they can do for the good of the country is stay away from government before they make things worst.

Just pointing out a way for them to regain some popularity if not credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Loads of ideas, Francis. Don’t worry about that.

Evidence and the FG manifesto would suggest otherwise

• Advertisement

Just pointing out a way for them to regain some popularity if not credibility.

I very much doubt them going back into government will gain them popularity after the kicking they got.

Evidence and the FG manifesto would suggest otherwise

Yet people here claim they should try get into government?????

I'm baffled.

I very much doubt them going back into government will gain them popularity after the kicking they got.

He was suggesting facilitating a minority government via a S&C. Not them going into government.

He was suggesting facilitating a minority government via a S&C. Not them going into government.

The very thing FF got destroyed and slated for the last 3 years by SF supporters??

Yet people here claim they should try get into government?????

I'm baffled.

No, I'm enjoying watching them squirm as they try to communicate that they're still in the game, when in fact they're togged off and in the showers already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not 'in government' jingle. Supporting a minority government. Huffing on the sidelines is clearly losing them more votes than they lost on the 8th Feb.

Time to arrest that somehow and thread water.

No, I'm enjoying watching them squirm as they try to communicate that they're still in the game, when in fact they're togged off and in the showers already.

So leave them to it so.

Not 'in government' jingle. Supporting a minority government. Huffing on the sidelines is clearly losing them more votes than they lost on the 8th Feb.

Time to arrest that somehow and thread water.

Everyone is in agreement that C and S is a disaster for the country.

It doesn't work.

The people don't want that set up again.

So leave them to it so.

I don't see why people should lay off them. Them taking their ball and going home is slowing down government formation, which does more to spook the markets and Ireland's perceived stability than bogeyman talk about Venezuela ever could.

Roisin Shorthall was completely correct in her assessment of FG's position yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't see why people should lay off them. Them taking their ball and going home is slowing down government formation, which does more to spook the markets and Ireland's perceived stability than bogeyman talk about Venezuela ever could.

Roisin Shorthall was completely correct in her assessment of FG's position yesterday.
    Yet a few days previously she said that FG in a new government was not change!

is_that_so wrote: »

Seems SF supporters still don't get it.

FG were given the boot, yet they say FG still don't get it!!

Its bizarre contradictions, flip flopping every few mins.

It's not. But if there is a minority gov of the left to be formed to prevent another election, FG will have to have a role in facilitating it. Sulking in the corner, declaring themselves the leaders of the opposition is very much damaging to the national interest, something we are withered hearing from them is their number one priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not. But if there is a minority gov of the left to be formed to prevent another election, FG will have to have a role in facilitating it. Sulking in the corner, declaring themselves the leaders of the opposition is very much damaging to the national interest, something we are withered hearing from them is their number one priority.
    They may do but mouthing off about it to the media will not get it done. Always found that about Shortall, reasonable talent but far too many opinions to share far too often. This is a time for civil servant servant answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Seems SF supporters still don't get it.

FG were given the boot, yet they say FG still don't get it!!

Its bizarre contradictions, flip flopping every few mins.

They're in a severe tizzy as they have to do somwthing (or at least pretend to, which even that is a struggle)...the "it's all FG fault" default position is looking decidely threadbare these days.

They may do but mouthing off about it to the media will not get it done. Always found that about Shortall, reasonable talent but far too many opinions to share far too often. This is a time for civil servant servant answers!

She has very little talent. She was in government before but couldn't stand the heat of the kitchen as it was a very difficult time in government. Far beyond her limited abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

road_high wrote: »
    They're in a severe tizzy as they have to do somwthing (or at least pretend to, which even that is a struggle)...the "it's all FG fault" default position is looking decidely thredbare these days.

Hence the latest poll that has them on 35%? I’m confused.

They're in a severe tizzy as they have to do somwthing (or at least pretend to, which even that is a struggle)...the "it's all FG fault" default position is looking decidely thredbare these days.

The party doing the least spadework since the election has been FG, by a country mile.

If this ends up with another election, they're going to get rightly flayed by the electorate, much worse than last Saturday week. Perhaps the parliamentary party should start considering that.

Part of me wants to see them fighting an election shooting for the opposition benches for the sheer entertainment, but it's more important now that some sort of coherent administration gets formed.

The party doing the least spadework since the election has been FG, by a country mile.

If this ends up with another election, they're going to get rightly flayed by the electorate, much worse than last Saturday week. Perhaps the parliamentary party should start considering that.

Part of me wants to see that, but it's more important now that some sort of coherent administration gets formed.

Well then so be it. I thought the voters were all hot and bothered about health/housing and this is why they voted out FG? Now it'll be (lack of)government formation they'll be "blamed for" with their 35 seats. They don't want FG but at the same time punish them for not forming a government? I'd say that's a chance they're willing to take. FG are more or less down to their core vote anyways.

Well then so be it. I thought the voters were all hot and bothered about health/housing and this is why they voted out FG? Now it'll be (lack of)government formation they'll be "blamed for" with their 35 seats. They don't want FG but at the same time punish them for not forming a government? I'd say that's a change thy're willing to take. FG are more or less down to their core vote anyways.

As I said yesterday, there’s a feeling amongst some here that FG are up to something, they don’t like it, they aren’t sure what it is exactly, but they don’t like it anyway.

Couple that with wanting them out of office before the election, and now giving them guff for not wanting to go back into government because the message failed, is a highly unusual combination.

I’m finding this forum far more enjoyable and amusing than I thought I would as a ‘FG man’ post election. I also get the feeling that some of the men (always men) so desperate for SF and change aren’t enjoying it at all!

Top class tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Part of me wants to see them fighting an election shooting for the opposition benches for the sheer entertainment,

Surely even the least evolved among them them must know that "Vote for us to give us the opportunity to rebuild in opposition" is not a viable election platform...

It's watching FG squirm with discomfort we're enjoying Johnny.

Their position and behaviour could not possibly defended to the electorate. And if they get their coveted position as 'the leader of the opposition' they'll have very little credibility in Leinster House as well.

There's no crafty Malcolm Tucker stuff going on in FG hq, they're fighting for the party's future. And I'll be honest, it's a good watch.

As I said yesterday, there’s a feeling amongst some here that FG are up to something, they don’t like it, they aren’t sure what it is exactly, but they don’t like it anyway.

Couple that with wanting them out of office before the election, and now giving them guff for not wanting to go back into government because the message failed, is a highly unusual combination.

I’m finding this forum far more enjoyable and amusing than I thought I would as a ‘FG man’ post election. I also get the feeling that some of the men (always men) so desperate for SF and change aren’t enjoying it at all!

Top class tbh.

I think you're over doing it on the Conspracy Theories. It's pretty simple. FG lost the election. Now it's up to those that "won" to form the governement- I'm struggling to see what the big mystery is here? I mean if the appetite for change is so strong and SF manifesto is so robust and credible- they should be chomping at the bit to get in. Strangely enough, they aren't...

Not really sure what the percieved gender issue has to do with anything? Bit like Mary Lou with her "mansplaining" and "old boys club" which appeal mainly to a certain lowest common denominator.

It's watching FG squirm with discomfort we're enjoying Johnny.

Their position and behaviour could not possibly defended to the electorate. And if they get their coveted position as 'the leader of the opposition' they'll have very little credibility in Leinster House as well.

There's no crafty Malcolm Tucker stuff going on in FG hq, they're fighting for the party's future. And I'll be honest, it's a good watch.

The opposition is a vital part of a strong democracy. FG were 9 years in office. Time for change.

Come back to me when SF, AAA/PBP, and a load of rural independents have put in 9 years.

Now it’s time to give people the change they so desperately want. That’s serious btw. Not a mixed message.

You're illustrating my point so very well Johnny. This is barnstorming stuff from the true blue faithful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Part of me wants to see them fighting an election shooting for the opposition benches for the sheer entertainment, but it's more important now that some sort of coherent administration gets formed.

The competent bit is a stretch , but agree with the rest of your post !

Advertisement