Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Absolutely. I’d go so far as to say the electorate wants another election based on that poll. SF could then run two candidates in most constituencies.

I think the way this farce is playing out. Sf would get another surge

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Idbatterim wrote: »

If they do so be it- possibly all the better as they really will have nowhere to hide. The onus for "change" (whatever that is) will be more sharply on them. Not to mention their farcical manifesto and how they go about delivering it.

BTW I fail to see the farce? SF et al. won the election on a wave of change. There are 87 of them in the Dail. The only farce is their reticence to govern. Sure why not have another few elections? Maybe best 2 out of 3? They only cost c€50 million but this is SF we are talking about- it's only (other peoples) money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Let’s have it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

road_high wrote: »
    If they do so be it- possibly all the better as they really will have nowhere to hide. The onus for "change" (whatever that is) will be more sharply on them. Not to mention their farcical manifesto and how they go about delivering it.

BTW I fail to see the farce? SF et al. won the election on a wave of change. There are 87 of them in the Dail. The only farce is their reticence to govern. Sure why not have another few elections? Maybe best 2 out of 3? They only cost c€50 million but this is SF we are talking about- it's only (other peoples) money.

FG might get that Tans commemoration yet.

Deferred. Not cancelled after all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Uriel. wrote: »
    You do also need to factor in the cost of managing the social housing rents - administration, rent collection, managing delinquent tenants, repairs and maintenance, damage/criminal damage, furnishing, legal fees etc.

Then you've the crap of actually dealing with arseholes, going to court etc and suddenly the state is in the spotlight for evictions and the poor mouth stories, media hype and political nonsense etc.

Nothing is as is easy as suggesting stop HAP and funnel the funding into building, managing and landlording public housing.

Are you suggesting this extra admin and trouble is not worth it if you are saving half a billion a year?

I agree those tenants do exist that either refuse to pay rent or are consistently involved in anti-social behaviour, I am not denying that, but there is no possible way that the current system is going to provide enough housing to even keep a lid on the crisis. Its only going to get worse and each year half a billion is squandered in the meantime. Simply using this cohort as an excuse to do nothing is totally unacceptable.

If there is a cohort that does not respect that they are privileged to have been allocated a social home then I see no reason not to bring in legislation so that it is easier for county councils to remove them if all other approaches have failed.

• Advertisement

its interesing, because ther are pro's and con's for all the parties in forming government. If I were FG, I would want to flee to the oppostion benches. Its way easier, they likely wont lose more votes and most importantly for them, I reckon they see whats coming and dont want to do, what they didnt do, over the past few years (hence they lost seats)....

FF just want the taste of power again? SF? hard to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

is_that_so wrote: »
    Housing is not a money thing, it's a building thing. With a lead time of 9-12 months and more, anyone coming in now can reap whatever rewards comes out of that as evidence of the success of their own policies. There will need to be compromise, something SF will also have to face. Most of what they claim they want to do is incompatible, completely with FG and in large parts with FF. The Greens will deal but with some hard red lines.

Even if those houses built by FG were available immediately the number falls far short of what was required. FG targets were 5000 to 6000 a year and they were missing those by massive margins

FG were never interest in building social housing, they were more keen on a private sector solution and look where that has got us. Not only is there now a shortage of homes, but we have those that require social housing now competing with those that working in reasonably paid jobs wishing to rent in the private sector. Its been a spectacular own goal by FG and will take years to correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Yurt! wrote: »
    The party doing the least spadework since the election has been FG, by a country mile.

If this ends up with another election, they're going to get rightly flayed by the electorate, much worse than last Saturday week. Perhaps the parliamentary party should start considering that.

Part of me wants to see them fighting an election shooting for the opposition benches for the sheer entertainment, but it's more important now that some sort of coherent administration gets formed.

What do you want them to do, come out all guns blazing saying that even though we lost the election we want to form a government for 5 more years?

Its FF I see as being in a bind, they campaigned saying they wanted "change" but now they wont work with the other change party.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If I could be so bold as to put forward a layman’s opinion of what happened.

1. There was a surge for change..housing ..health.... child care + saw to that.

2. SF used that and relentlessly with their running mates on the left , hammered FG and FF

3. FG and FF did not adequately champion their achievements in Brexit, employment, economy, etc.

4. SF only put up 42 candidates and failed to foresee the surge for change,

5. The surge was such that even if a Brown Bin went up for election under an SF or left banner= top of the poll.

6. Cue the result and cue scuttling around with’ Jaysus !! What are we going to do, we are the ones now in charge of the kip,we have promised the electorate the ‘divil an all’ and now we have to run the gaff.

7. Meanwhile the bullhorn brigade, the turfcutters confederation, the SDs , the mé Feiners etc are bricking themselves....’Jaysus howld on horse, I wint forward to roar and shout for potholes to be fixshed, to roar and shout about rooooril Ireland , to oppozhe everything dem lads up in Dublin proposed, an collect a huge wedge in expenses for doin nathin.

8. So that’s how we landed in this situation my friends, and unless the gimps who misread the public mood get their ducks in a row ..... don’t be blaming those who were in Govt for this situation.

Good luck with that, dig yourselves out of the hole , you plonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Good luck with that, dig yourselves out of the hole , you plonkers

Classic FG humility.

I'd submit you're crowd in are in the biggest hole of them all.

• Advertisement

Classic FG humility.

I'd submit you're crowd in are in the biggest hole of them all.

He heh.... straight talking always makes one unpopular.

easypazz wrote: »
    What do you want them to do, come out all guns blazing saying that even though we lost the election we want to form a government for 5 more years?

Its FF I see as being in a bind, they campaigned saying they wanted "change" but now they wont work with the other change party.

Reading the posts here, yes. It sounds very much like that’s exactly what these people want to get sf off the hook and into another term of eternal
    opposition. It’s obvious there’s zero interest in governing. It’s either it’s up to FF FG or let’s have yet another election...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

its interesing, because ther are pro's and con's for all the parties in forming government. If I were FG, I would want to flee to the oppostion benches.

But to get there they will presumably have to turn down a request by FF to contribute to the formation of the next government, thereby almost certainly triggering another election.

And do they maintain this "We want to rebuild in opposition" line going into that election? If so, the logical corollary is to ask for as few votes as possible, to ensure their support would not be required to form a government after that election.

Reading the posts here, yes. It sounds very much like that’s exactly what these people want to get sf off the hook and into another term of eternal
    opposition. It’s obvious there’s zero interest in governing. It’s either it’s up to FF FG or let’s have yet another election...

There's only one party doing the front running seriously trying to form a government at the moment. And let's be real, FG are simply on the run from being a junior partner to FF. It would of course be a historic humiliation, and it will be FG that will ultimately bring us back to the polls as it appears now they will frustrate a S&C, and any other combination of parties.

The choice for FG is stark, be FF's poodle/mudguard, or go back to the electorate having been scuttling around claiming they are the opposition and then trying to sell themselves to the people having spent weeks trying to hide.

What you wrote above is a spectacular inversion of reality, and doublespeak worthy of the Chinese Communist Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There's only one party doing the front running seriously trying to form a government at the moment.

What you wrote above is a spectacular inversion of reality, and doublespeak worthy of the Chinese Communist Party.

To be seriously trying to firm a government then you need to have the numbers. SF want a left leaning one so they cannot be serious when the numbers aren't there. They keep parroting that we voted for change and they deserve to be in government, so if that's true, why is it so difficult for them?

SF have plenty in common with the CCP when it comes to how the upper echelons of the party are appointed.

There's only one party doing the front running seriously trying to form a government at the moment. And let's be real, FG are simply on the run from being a junior partner to FF. It would of course be a historic humiliation, and it will be FG that will ultimately bring us back to the polls as it appears now they will frustrate a S&C, and any other combination of parties.

The choice for FG is stark, be FF's poodle/mudguard, or go back to the electorate having been scuttling around claiming they are the opposition and then trying to sell themselves to the people having spent weeks trying to hide.

Three major gaffes already by SF.

RDS... come out ye Black N Tans

Waterford.. Cullinane

Ní Riadha..... too numerous to mention.

Not a good start, one would have to suggest.

Very poor response from MLMCD.....

Welcome to Senior Hurling. :D

To be seriously trying to firm a government then you need to have the numbers. SF want a left leaning one so they cannot be serious when the numbers aren't there. They keep parroting that we voted for change and they deserve to be in government, so if that's true, why is it so difficult for them?

SF have plenty in common with the CCP when it comes to how the upper echelons of the party are appointed.

We're all aware of the numbers, they've been there for the world to see since last Saturday week.

It appears you're saying SF are serious about forming a government, but can't seriously do so because of the numbers. Well, thanks for the revelation.

What's also obvious is the sticky wicket FG have landed themselves on, by going in to hiding and then wanting to control the message about being 'a strong opposition.'

There's nothing strong about what FG are doing - they probably wish they took a bigger hammering to avoid the position they are in now.

We're all aware of the numbers, they've been there for the world to see since last Saturday week.

It appears you're saying SF are serious about forming a government, but can't seriously do so because of the numbers. Well, thanks for the revelation.

What's also obvious is the sticky wicket FG have landed themselves on, by going in to hiding and then wanting to control the message about being 'a strong opposition.'

There's nothing strong about what FG are doing - they probably wish they took a bigger hammering to avoid the position they are in now.

He heh... you are the guys that wanted FG driven out from politics.

FG are being honest, rejected by the electorate, and have accepted the result.

Meanwhile you keep trying to deflect and sling mud......!!!

Who do you think you are kidding, compadre.

He heh... you are the guys that wanted FG driven out from politics.

FG are being honest, rejected by the electorate, and have accepted the result.

Meanwhile you keep trying to deflect and sling mud......!!!

Who do you think you are kidding, compadre.

God help us, poor FG not coping with the rule being ran over them; after all the talk of hurling from the ditch for years. The sneer is all well and good when you have the scepter and the crown, when you're heading for the ditch yourselves and all you have left is the sneer, it starts to look a little sad.

Keep your fingers crossed that SF form a government, because if they don't, the electorate aren't finished letting you know what they think of ye.

God help us, poor FG not coping with the rule being ran over them; after all the talk of hurling from the ditch for years. The sneer is all well and good when you have the scepter and the crown, when you're heading for the ditch yourselves and all you have left is the sneer, it starts to look a little sad.

Keep your fingers crossed that SF form a government, because if they don't, the electorate aren't finished letting you know what they think of ye.

Have no problem at all with that....bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What is the FG strategy for a second election going to be after spending the government formation period being delighted about the prospect of opposition? What’s the plan there? I assume it’s ‘well it can’t be any worse than the vote just gone’?!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What is the FG strategy for a second election going to be after spending the government formation period being delighted about the prospect of opposition? What’s the plan there? I assume it’s ‘well it can’t be any worse than the vote just gone’?!

I’d say it might roughly be, the Shinners and their fellow travelers blocked every move we made in the last Govt, promised that they would solve everything........

Let them get up on stage and get on with it.

That’s what I’d do anaway.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I’d say it might roughly be, the Shinners and their fellow travelers blocked every move we made in the last Govt, promised that they would solve everything........

Someone else's fault again yeh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

We want as few votes and seats as possible to ensure we won't be hindering the formation of the next government. Would bring a whole new meaning to 'negative campaigning'...

I think it can be worse, I think they would lose more seats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm sure everyone who voted SF or SD or whomever will appreciate the attitude of FG and their flock telling them they are stupid, uneducated, lazy and so on.
    What could possibly go wrong...again?

Here’s a radical idea- instead of obsessing over FG, why don’t sf actually govern and deliver all the amazing promises they ...ahem, promised? Like I said radical, for SF.
    What’s obvious here and indeed from the north where they “govern” is that elections and electioneering are their sole focus and raison detre. They’ll keep going until the desired result (which for sf is opposition) rather than the heavy actual work of forming, maintaining and running a government.

Bowie wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone who voted SF or SD or whomever will appreciate the attitude of FG and their flock telling them they are stupid, uneducated, lazy and so on.
    What could possibly go wrong...again?

Why, are they suddenly going to flock back to FG or something if they form a minority govt.? Nah, it’s obvious the voters wanted change in the form of sf et al. Now would mlm please get up off her Whining arse and do what she was elected to do ?

elections and electioneering are their sole focus and raison detre. They’ll keep going until the desired result (which for sf is opposition) rather than the heavy actual work of forming, maintaining and running a government.

It's getting really difficult to listen to dogmatic Fine Gaelers level accusations like the above of when it's the party doing the least at the moment and seems pure delighted at the prospect of jumping up and down on the opposition benches.

It's Comical Ali stuff really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭poppers

Here’s a radical idea- instead of obsessing over FG, why don’t sf actually govern and deliver all the amazing promises they ...ahem, promised? Like I said radical, for SF.
    What’s obvious here and indeed from the north where they “govern” is that elections and electioneering are their sole focus and raison detre. They’ll keep going until the desired result (which for sf is opposition) rather than the heavy actual work of forming, maintaining and running a government.
    I'd be far from a SF fan but this is a silly statement. What can they do if FF FG and Labour wont go into gov. Tgey would need to get support from every other td in the Dail to get gov

Advertisement