Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

what party dyou support yrself that havent been responsible for someone being the brunt of ****ty policies or positions?

cant be either of the two other 22 percenters, surely?

I hold a grudge, I watched a scumbag stand over the decision of his department to drag a dying mother through the courts, he didn't need to but choose to. It showed his apathy towards the ordinary person endorsed by his party . I have many other reasons why I despise FG but this is the most easily justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Erm, Fine Gael have not been making the same mistakes again that's why people are voting against them.

They are running a government surplus and keeping spending under control.

The Irish want incompetent gombeens in government and the same wreckless policies that went before and led to disaster.

It's plain as day.

That's what i am saying in a way, FG didn't make the mistakes FF made but they have made quite allot of mistakes.

They were also hindered in their ability to recover as well so its not as simple as saying FG really ****ed up either.

My point is blaming the party soley and not also the wants of the electorate is a sure fire way to repeat history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

How would you solve the issues with our health service, and how would you propose to pay for these solutions?

The solution is relatively simple.

If I was elected your benevolent overload and dictator the very first thing I would do is set in motion the scrapping of the HSE.
    Billions are wasted in administration and mismanagement in our health service every year and hiring an extra administrator to walk up and down an A&E department to keep tabs on how many trollies are required is simply not a useful use of health funding. And YES this does happen. There's far to much emphasis on administration, data collection and management systems and not enough on actually delivering quality health care

I would go back to the something similar to the old system, but instead of having health boards I would let major hospitals run autonomously. Each hospital has a board of management and assigned a budget. Have it so that board members are hired and can be fired by the health minister for those hospitals that cant keep within or close to budget. Have those managing the health system actually qualified in health care not office administration/management.
    Let that board of management decide on what or how money is spent.

You would suddenly see an immediate improvement, and where there is none, a couple of dismissals would get everyone's attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Calhoun wrote: »
    That's what i am saying in a way, FG didn't make the mistakes FF made but they have made quite allot of mistakes.

They were also hindered in their ability to recover as well so its not as simple as saying FG really ****ed up either.

My point is blaming the party soley and not also the wants of the electorate is a sure fire way to repeat history.

Thats the FG big waste.
    2011, change the way we do business.
    They got in on tough times ahead but wel'l fix it.
    They sold us out and can get f***ed.
    FF made money and messed up royally.
    FG took us for a ride and all we got out of it was record breaking crises and a pig ignorant set of personalities on the make.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

FG failed to see the rental crisis....and failed to do anything about it. It's been brewing for at least 7 years. Nothing was done and the renters came out today and punished Leo and co. that's the long and short of it.

They did a good job with the economy but tell that to someone paying an enormous % of their income on rent....who can't save and can't buy a home.

The rental crisis lost FG this election.

Health and the shambles of the cost of the NCH didn`t help either Plus Dara Murphy, Verona Murphy, Maria Bailey, Alan Farrell and the NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Thats FG big waste.
    2011, change the way we do business.
    They got in on tough times ahead but well fix it.
    They sold us out and can get f***ed.

We were bankrupt in 2011, Matt. The IMF etc. What would you have done? Cut social welfare dramatically and invest in infrastructure like housing as an alternative?

What would have been your solution in 2011? That’s a genuine question btw.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Health and the shambles of the cost of the NCH didn`t help either Plus Dara Murphy, Verona Murphy, Maria Bailey, Alan Farrell and the NBP.

I'd say Charlie Tan-again was a kick in the teeth for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

True. There were many issues but the young people voted SF in big numbers......Crazy Rent/Cost of Housing is the main cause of this election result.

Young people in this country are angry. And FG/FF will go nowhere until they realise that fact.

The next govt will have a top priority of 'affordable housing/rent costs' ....that's if they want to stay in govt.

I'd say Charlie Tan-again was a kick in the teeth for many people.

Forgot Charlie.

That really was a FG masterstroke in the teeth of a GE.

storker wrote: »
    "Change" is about what change actually delivers, not about the optics of the makeup of the Dail. If "more of the same" was what was wanted, then I submit that it should have scored a lot higher than 44%.

who voted for what change?

if the seats go to ff/fg enough to decide things, but with less leeway than before, theres the change.

the two parties with the most seats between them dont step aside because the electorate -after a vote- say "oh no i didnt mean like *that*"

you vote. the seats are tallied. a governing manifesto can be agreed, or not. if so, the government of the people is formed. lately, with no supermajority, nobody voted for the govt we ended up getting, so "change" doesnt cut the mustard really

• Advertisement

We were bankrupt in 2011, Matt. The IMF etc. What would you have done? Cut social welfare dramatically and invest in infrastructure like housing as an alternative?

Not set up Irish Water. Not allow Reilly build clinics for vanity and votes. Not sell sitserv at a loss then award a state contract to it. Off the top of my head like.
    I'd have rebuilt the HSE as it was the best time, people were expecting tough times for the greater good. I'd have built social before hotels became the norm rather than an emergency.
    FG betrayed those of us voted for them.

FG failed to see the rental crisis....and failed to do anything about it. It's been brewing for at least 7 years. Nothing was done and the renters came out today and punished Leo and co. that's the long and short of it.

They did a good job with the economy but tell that to someone paying an enormous % of their income on rent....who can't save and can't buy a home.

The rental crisis lost FG this election.

100% agree. its why i didnt give them my #1

but no party made any sort of credible play for the working renter imo.

the party that did, or does in any followup election, would see big gains

Erm, Fine Gael have not been making the same mistakes again that's why people are voting against them.

They are running a government surplus and keeping spending under control.

The Irish want incompetent gombeens in government and the same wreckless policies that went before and led to disaster.

It's plain as day.

But its not as simple as that is it?

Last year the government had €82.0 billion to play with. A lot of that disappeared to service debts, but you would have to ask how could a country that has that much revenue coming in cannot distribute that money in a more equitable way.

Everything has to be paid for, we all get that, but when you give €16.8m funding to greyhounds when the same money could provide extra beds in hospitals there has to be something horribly wrong with the way our governments work. Too much money is given to looking after party supporters and those that 'need' to be looked after, and when it comes to the really big issues we are told the money isnt there. Of course every general election, FG and FF borrow that famous money tree from SF for yet more sweeteners to spend money that wasnt there only a week or two before.
    Parish politics, and looking after 'those certain groups' is what is and has been killing this country for decades.

efanton wrote: »
    The solution is relatively simple.

If I was elected your benevolent overload and dictator the very first thing I would do is set in motion the scrapping of the HSE.
    Billions are wasted in administration and mismanagement in our health service every year and hiring an extra administrator to walk up and down an A&E department to keep tabs on how many trollies are required is simply not a useful use of health funding. And YES this does happen. There's far to much emphasis on administration, data collection and management systems and not enough on actually delivering quality health care

I would go back to the something similar to the old system, but instead of having health boards I would let major hospitals run autonomously. Each hospital has a board of management and assigned a budget. Have it so that board members are hired and can be fired by the health minister for those hospitals that cant keep within or close to budget. Have those managing the health system actually qualified in health care not office administration/management.
    Let that board of management decide on what or how money is spent.

You would suddenly see an immediate improvement, and where there is none, a couple of dismissals would get everyone's attention.

cool

just in case we need to contact you, can i note the number of yr taxi?

True. There were many issues but the young people voted SF in big numbers......Crazy Rent/Cost of Housing is the main cause of this election result.

Young people in this country are angry. And FG/FF will go nowhere until they realise that fact.

The next govt will have a top priority of 'affordable housing/rent costs' ....that's if they want to stay in govt.

Housing, rent and health will be the priorities so anyone that voted hoping for tax cuts will be sadly disappointed I`m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Forgot Charlie.

That really was a FG masterstroke in the teeth of a GE.

If he is returned as a TD don’t be surprised if he is swiftly sent to the back benches... from hearing internal FG sounding from a local candidate here in Cork there is a political target on his back. For Leo to survive the rural TD’s and members will want blood and to retake control of the party.

100% agree. its why i didnt give them my #1

but no party made any sort of credible play for the working renter imo.

the party that did, or does in any followup election, would see big gains

The sad reality is that no party will solve this issue in 5 years. There's too many objections and too much bureaucracy in this country. Every new development gets landed with An Bord Pleanala due to objections. Same thing with new roads/infrastructure projects..........none stop delays.

And often it's sitting TD's who object to new developments.

Housing, rent and health will be the priorities so anyone that voted hoping for tax cuts will be sadly disappointed I`m afraid.

I think Brendan Howlin is a w**Ker but he was right during the debates, you can't have better services and tax cuts at the same time. I would just like to see my taxes spent effectively.

Not set up Irish Water. Not allow Reilly build clinics for vanity and votes. Not sell sitserv at a loss then award a state contract to it. Off the top of my head like.
    I'd have rebuilt the HSE as it was the best time, people were expecting tough times for the greater good. I'd have built social before hotels became the norm rather than an emergency.

thats some list of what you wouldnt have done, and some very sketchy handwaves on what you wouldve- with all the money available to build houses during a banking crisis and a property crash too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

ismat wrote: »
    The country has a serious problem if 22% are voting for Sinn Fein. A sad day

Our politics is ****ed all round. Any comment on the fact that the same percentage of the population gave FF a vote? Not just a sad day but an absolute insult to the country that has been sent back decades due to corruption by the main parties. FG promised to correct the situation and to renew faith in politicians, they were given a mandate to do so and they sat on their laurels and milked the system too and enabled an FF recovery so **** them both and if you dislike a 22 percent vote share of SF look at those parties and think about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Big infrastructure spending was not possible in 2011. Planning for future infrastructure was possible, so that these projects could proceed without delay when times became better. Such planning did not happen, that is FG's shame.

cool

just in case we need to contact you, can i note the number of yr taxi?

Sold it. That taxi I bought of Michael O'Leary was a dud.

I think Brendan Howlin is a w**Ker but he was right during the debates, you can't have better services and tax cuts at the same time. I would just like to see my taxes spent effectively.

Well I'd assume he'll be replaced as leader of Labour given they just had their worst election result EVER...

Even worse than 2016...

Bye Bye Brendan.

irishfeen wrote: »
    If he is returned as a TD don’t be surprised if he is swiftly sent to the back benches... from hearing internal FG sounding from a local candidate here in Cork there is a political target on his back. For Leo to survive the rural TD’s and members will want blood and to retake control of the party.

There seems to be a lot of anger among rural FG grassroots with the Dublin set.
    It would be ironic if Flanagan, a rural TD, was the first casualty of that anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

We were running a 6 billion euro deficit on the approximately 23 billion euro needed to run the country. In 2011.

So how would you suggest we could have reformed the HSE? Borrow more? Cut social welfare and invest in capital projects? Increase welfare and not invest?

James Reilly and a small blurb about the HSE isn’t going to cut it. We are talking about billions here.

Well I'd assume he'll be replaced as leader of Labour given they just had their worst election result EVER...

Even worse than 2016...

Bye Bye Brendan.

Sad thing is that in 2011 had the party leaders put aside their egos and told FF/FG to sort out the mess they created we would have seen a majority Labour government in 2016 so personally now, f**k them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

There seems to be a lot of anger among rural FG grassroots with the Dublin set.
    It would be ironic if Flanagan, a rural TD, was the first casualty of that anger.

I was told by councillors and candidates here in Cork that Flanagan went on a complete solo run with the RIC commemoration and that it singly caused the most damage to FG on the ground. Housing, homelessness etc were always going to be bad but it was the cumulative effect of what the RIC did to the voters mindset.

Leo came under massive pressure to send him back to the back benches but for fear of more damage he let him be. I have never heard so much anger toward another member of the FG party.

Everything good that FG did with the economy and brexit was completely forgotten as the posh boys in Dublin got ahead of themselves.

thats some list of what you wouldnt have done, and some very sketchy handwaves on what you wouldve- with all the money available to build houses during a banking crisis and a property crash too!

That's not sincere or honest of you.
    The claim was we'd no money. So I gave a list of how we would have saved money we didn't have but spent anyway.
    This shows we could access money and could have worked to tackle the housing issue as needed as it arose.
    Then rebuilt the HSE, sketchy hand wave? Tear it down and rebuild it. It was the best chance to do so.
    Be honest or dont bother trying to be clever.

Sad thing is that in 2011 had the party leaders put aside their egos and told FF/FG to sort out the mess they created we would have seen a majority Labour government in 2016 so personally now, f**k them.

Yes. And people would have had an alternative to SF today.....they could have voted Labour. But at their current level is hard to see Labour recover anytime soon......Running Joan Burton at 71 years of age was a joke....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Yes. And people would have had an alternative to SF today.....they could have voted Labour. But at their current level is hard to see Labour recover anytime soon......Running Joan Burton at 71 years of age was a joke....
    Emmet Stagg at 75 is as bad, try out some new blood. They really should have gone with Kelly as leader.

Advertisement