Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Emmet Stagg at 75 is as bad, try out some new blood. They really should have gone with Kelly as leader.

I'd say Brendan will step down very soon. Joan should have let her daughter run....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yes. And people would have had an alternative to SF today.....they could have voted Labour. But at their current level is hard to see Labour recover anytime soon......Running Joan Burton at 71 years of age was a joke....

Is she 71 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

irishfeen wrote: »
    I was told by councillors and candidates here in Cork that Flanagan went on a complete solo run with the RIC commemoration and that it singly caused the most damage to FG on the ground. Housing, homelessness etc were always going to be bad but it was the cumulative effect of what the RIC did to the voters mindset.

They can say that now but it is absolutely not the case. Another minister also planned to have RIC names added to the memorial wall. Leo came out in strong support of the commemerations initially.

Is she 71 :eek:

yes. and people don't want to be voting for TDs in their 70's......in general. It's too old. Her daughter might have grabbed a lot of her core vote......but in 5 years no one will remember her....I'm assuming she'll lose her seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Yes. And people would have had an alternative to SF today.....they could have voted Labour. But at their current level is hard to see Labour recover anytime soon......Running Joan Burton at 71 years of age was a joke....

Emmett Stagg too..

I think labour's problem is that they are all old, out of touch candidates. The younger electorate doesn't identify with these dinosaurs.

As for SF getting same % in exit polls.....I think we'll see this ending up being misleading as SF don't have the same volume of candidates as FF/FG. If it's right & they get 22.3% of first preference votes on only 42 candidates then they really have had more candidates.....and then probably would have much higher % of first prefs.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    They can say that now but it is absolutely not the case. Another minister also planned to have RIC names added to the memorial wall. Leo came out in strong support of the commemerations initially.

I don't think young people gave a f**k about the RIC thing. It's the cost of living that lead to FG's fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You could be absolutely right, this is what’s being said by candidates and members on the ground here in Cork though.

There seems to be a total disconnect Inside FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Big infrastructure spending was not possible in 2011. Planning for future infrastructure was possible, so that these projects could proceed without delay when times became better. Such planning did not happen, that is FG's shame.

It was possible, if they had chosen the right projects (those heavily funded by EU).

Did you know that for a number of years we did not draw down our EU infrastructural funding allocation. Instead we paid tens of thousands of construction workers dole money, rent allowance, and other social welfare payments to have them sat idle at home or emigrating.

Had we kept our road building program going, our housing program going, we would be in the mess we are in now. And yes it was possible to do this, that was exactly what the ERSI and other think tanks were advocating immediately after the crash. There was sufficient funding available to us and we still had a small surplus left in the pension fund that the government stole and has never put back.

daheff wrote: »
    Emmett Stagg too..

I think labour's problem is that they are all old, out of touch candidates. The younger electorate doesn't identify with these dinosaurs.

As for SF getting same % in exit polls.....I think we'll see this ending up being misleading as SF don't have the same volume of candidates as FF/FG. If it's right & they get 22.3% of first preference votes on only 42 candidates then they really have had more candidates.....and then probably would have much higher % of first prefs.

I could see a FF/FG coalition. Leo will be happy if he gets Foreign Affairs.....he can feck off over to Europe and deal with Brexit and pave the groundwork for a big EU job down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think young people gave a f**k about the RIC thing. It's the cost of living that lead to FG's fall.

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with that, my point was unrelated. I'm a young person and the RIC, Maria Bailey and the National Broadband plan are why I didn't vote FG, In general I would have been in support of them.

You could be absolutely right, this is what’s being said by candidates and members on the ground here in Cork though.

There seems to be a total disconnect Inside FG.

They are just lying to cover themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We were running a 6 billion euro deficit on the approximately 23 billion euro needed to run the country. In 2011.

So how would you suggest we could have reformed the HSE? Borrow more? Cut social welfare and invest in capital projects? Increase welfare and not invest?

James Reilly and a small blurb about the HSE isn’t going to cut it. We are talking about billions here.

Between 2013 and 2018 the health budget increased by 2.6Bn. with over 600M in supplementary funding in both both 2014 and 2015 with further supplementary funding ranging from 165M to 645M. in the following years.
    That is close to 5Bn. extra spent on health between 2013 and 2018.
    It was not a case of no money for health. It`s a case of the money, wherever it is going, not improving the service and that is where FG fell down on the job on health.

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with that, my point was unrelated. I'm a young person and the RIC, Maria Bailey and the National Broadband plan are why I didn't vote FG, In general I would have been in support of them.

They are just lying to cover themselves.

Leo talking about buying his own home at age 24.....that didn't help. Enrage young people even more.

And Maria Bailey should have been straight out the door as soon as swinggate hit the papers.....big mistake there by Leo.

daheff wrote: »
    Emmett Stagg too..

Its not misleading at all. Everyone has been very clear to say, that this is an exit pole, not GE results.

SF will not get 42 seats, we all understand that, but if they get 30 to 35 seats it totally changes politics in this country. Thats what is being said, the old politics is dead or at the very least terminally ill.

The young dont connect with Labour because what industry is there now that has a strong union base?

They see the issues that affect them every day not being addressed by either this government or FF.

What sensible young voter is going to be bought with the promise of a tax cut or a small pay rise when the rise in costs of transport, insurance, housing and education is far far greater than any tax cut or pay rise that might possibly be the result of electing FF or FG.

FF and FG are always harping on about SF not being able to do the maths, it seems they cant do the simple maths themselves. If no one is benefiting out of the so called recovery then can it even be called a recovery?

I was told by councillors and candidates here in Cork that Flanagan went on a complete solo run with the RIC commemoration and that it singly caused the most damage to FG on the ground. Housing, homelessness etc were always going to be bad but it was the cumulative effect of what the RIC did to the voters mindset.

Leo came under massive pressure to send him back to the back benches but for fear of more damage he let him be. I have never heard so much anger toward another member of the FG party.

Everything good that FG did with the economy and brexit was completely forgotten as the posh boys in Dublin got ahead of themselves.

I find it difficult to believe that Flanagan was the only one in FG that knew of the RIC plan with it being postponed rather than cancelled

If they didn`t then they were badly asleep at the wheel.
    I don`t know where they thought they were going with Brexit front and center. Far as people were concerned it was an agreed policy between all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Leo talking about buying his own home at age 24.....that didn't help. Enrage young people even more.

And Maria Bailey should have been straight out the door as soon as swinggate hit the papers.....big mistake there by Leo.
    In his defence, he was a qualified doctor so buying his house would have been easy.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe that Flanagan was the only one in FG that knew of the RIC plan with it being postponed rather than cancelled

If they didn`t then they were badly asleep at the wheel.
    I don`t know where they thought they were going with Brexit front and center. Far as people were concerned it was an agreed policy between all parties.
    You can be sure there were others but when it was proved to be unpopular, even leo stabbed him in the back

charlie14 wrote: »
    Between 2013 and 2018 the health budget increased by 2.6Bn. with over 600M in supplementary funding in both both 2014 and 2015 with further supplementary funding ranging from 165M to 645M. in the following years.
    That is close to 5Bn. extra spent on health between 2013 and 2018.
    It was not a case of no money for health. It`s a case of the money, wherever it is going, not improving the service and that is where FG fell down on the job on health.

Exactly.

Its everywhere. More money being spent, but no money or project being managed.

You only have to look at the big projects this government and the previous government have spent billions on and absolutely nothing to show or it.
    Broadband, Chidrens hospital, Irish Water, M50, health.
    Every single one of them over budget, due to sheer incompetence.

Would you see any company in the private sector signing a contract with no fixed fee, no penalty clauses, no accountability, and yet FG and FF keep harping on about how they are the only ones that are fiscally prudent. People are waking up, you can only give excuses so many times before your bluff and bluster is called.

I just seen a photo of leo casting his vote wuth his passport and polling card in his hand, Do you really think anyone would not recognise him ffs

In his defence, he was a qualified doctor so buying his house would have been easy.

I totally agree. But why broadcast it to the nation during a rental/housing crisis....

And then tell young people to get a deposit from their parents....ah Leo....

This just showed young people how much he doesn't get their situation with rent costs and housing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This is yet another myth that is thrown around. We have better outcomes for cancer care than any other country in the EU apart from Finland. There are two main issues with our health service - people are living far longer because of our excellent health service (solve that one), and we have an obsession with having a small shîtty local hospital in the ‘big town’ in the county.

We need approximately 8 large hospitals in this country. Slainte care is the most radical approach to meeting this goal that Irish healthcare has seen. Ironically enough the sites for these hospitals will be former hospitals created by the church to deal with TB. Simon Harris was a reforming minister of health.

Simon Harris was a reforming minister of health-
    Would you mind backing up that statement with actual facts? Slainte Care was a proposal fronted by the SDs and it still hasn't been implemented. What exactly has Harris done that can be judged as being reformatory?

• Advertisement

He graduated from Trinity College School of Medicine when he was 24.
    How many newly qualified junior doctors working in St James and Connolly do you know earn enough to buy their house first year earning a junior doctors salary ?

We were running a 6 billion euro deficit on the approximately 23 billion euro needed to run the country. In 2011.

So how would you suggest we could have reformed the HSE? Borrow more? Cut social welfare and invest in capital projects? Increase welfare and not invest?

James Reilly and a small blurb about the HSE isn’t going to cut it. We are talking about billions here.

The HSE is one of the most over-bloated organisations, if you want to tackle health system and go back to basics it's about cutting back, not investing further..no politician who has been in charge of the brief has tackled this and so we go round and round.

Simon Harris was a reforming minister of health-
    Would you mind backing up that statement with actual facts? Slainte Care was a proposal fronted by the SDs and it still hasn't been implemented. What exactly has Harris done that can be judged as being reformatory?

FG had no interest in Slaintecare. It has been a talking shop since 2016, launched in 2018 and to date has allocated 20M.
    Varadkar didn`t even turn up for the launch and Pascal Donohoe refused to give it a budget of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kerry_man15

We really haven't.... under funded across all levels, new "initiatives" forced through, absenteeism issues with students, teacher retention problems, low staff moral and ongoing concerns about the watering down of standards..... we're a whistleblower away from a nationally recognised crises in the education sector

Agreed.
    Also we all learn Irish throughout primary and secondary school but few of us have mastered it or can speak it fluently by the time we finish...that is a huge fail in my eyes. To study a language for so long but not be even close to being able to speak it fluently shows how poorly it is taught. It's an embarrassment really! There should be much more focus on speaking the language than on studying poetry and novels. That stuff will be much easier if people had a good grasp of the language first and could converse fluently.

Hurrache wrote: »
    The thing is, our economy is in good shape and pretty much full employment levels, so not a bad state in reality, despite the well publicised social issues.

I asked this question before in Politics and am still curious to get an answer, what happens when millions
    of FDI-generated revenue from job creation is depleted due to AI/ machine learning technologies that reduce employment numbers? We are over-reliant on MNCs and need to reduce this over-reliance to achieve economic sutainability inmedium to long
    term.

I also have made the point that it is pointless to celebrate economic growth when the money generated is not invested for major capital projects that supports long term economic strategy. We are massively lagging behind other EU countries when it comes to infrastructure for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kerry_man15

joinme wrote: »
    Wealthy yes. Fair, not a chance. If it was a fair country there would be decent and affordable healthcare, childcare and public transport available for the citizens who pay their taxes.
    Wealthy my arse...we have a ridiculously high debt per capita, one of the biggest in the OECD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Country is screwed. They reckon 40 shineer seats of 44 candidates. If they run more they would have more. This is the start of Irelands communist revolution.

I asked this question before in Politics and am still curious to get an answer, what happens when millions
    of FDI-generated revenue from job creation is depleted due to AI/ machine learning technologies that reduce employment numbers? We are over-reliant on MNCs and need to reduce this over-reliance to achieve economic sutainability inmedium to long
    term.

I also have made the point that it is pointless to celebrate economic growth when the money generated is not invested for major capital projects that supports long term economic strategy. We are massively lagging behind other EU countries when it comes to infrastructure for example.

I totally agree.

That would be a benefit of getting a more left leaning government into power.
    I'm not suggesting a spending splurge but at the same time we all understand its our infrastructure that is slowing a lot of potential growth.

Getting the M20 built would open up a huge geographical area for companies that heavily rely on transport, and would take a little bit of the pressure away from the Dublin area.

The broad band plan should get a higher priority. If they cant get one company to do it, then break it up into regions so that the smaller telecoms companies might show an interest. The initial capital outlay for a national project is what is scaring most of the big players.

We desperately need a dedicated freight port. We have some of the best deep ports in Europe but yet non of our existing ports can take the super container ships. Had we that in place much of the Brexit fears would go away or diminish considerably.

Country is screwed. They reckon 40 shineer seats of 44 candidates. If they run more they would have more. This is the start of Irelands communist revolution.

Cutting analysis that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Cutting analysis that.

WollyREDhat

Advertisement