Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I never understood how people saw it this way when FF had no ministers. If it was a coalition then Michael Martin would have been Tanaiste.

People didnt see it this way. They deliberately misstate how they see it because their are trying to pin both FG and FF as to blame for whatever faults they have with the last government. Not doing so, leaves FF as a viable alternative for people, which indeed they are. But people wanting to suggest there was a coalition wish that were not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    "
    Social Democrats joint leader Róisín Shortall said the Sláintecare plan had been agreed by all parties in 2017. However, she said it had got off “to a very bad start”.
    She said the follow- through from the Government on implementing the plan had been disappointing and much too slow. She said no specific budget had been allocated for the reform plan in 2018 and that the money earmarked in 2019 had come nowhere close to allowing for the step changes set out in the programme."
    I'm not sure what your point is here having Roisin Shortall write your post. The plan is there and has provided some funds. As a 10 year plan it's not really suited to the soundbytes of politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Not in every sense. They did not use suicide bombers.

Proxy bombs.
    The cowards suicide bombers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I would say young people have no effin clue what SF really are and being so young and internet savvy they make their vote according to what 'whichcandidate.ie' told them they were aligned with.

When asked questions about housing etc their answers would align with the populist unrealistic policies SF are spouting and they think 'well I'm 87% aligned with SF so'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The new party created by SF supporters on Boards got 44%. FFG.

And we can await their imminent announcement to either merge or enter an official coalition in the coming days.

SF taking up the main opposition party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

So then only workable government appears to be a FG, FF and Greens coalition? There probably wont be enough FF/FG seats for another confidence and supply arrangement.

It's high time really that FG & FF merge into a centrist party. FG are a smidge right of centre and FF perhaps a smidge left. They're not that different from a policy perspective. About time the civil war politics were dumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your point is here having Roisin Shortall write your post. The plan is there and has provided funds.

If you don't see the point, well there's no point.

But here's the point - FG as the govt have failed to provide the funding or give this the importance it requires and we're already in two years.
    I think I'll take Shortall's view on this as she has championed such an approach for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bilbot79 wrote:
    I would say young people have no effin clue what SF really are and being so young and internet savvy they make their vote according to what 'whichcandidate.ie' told them they were aligned with.

Angry people tend not to care so much about certain things, the rise of sf is easily understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 21,100 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

McMurphy wrote: »
    The final seat count will be interesting so. Even if they haemorrhage seats they'll still be steady enough in some people's eyes.

Look back at the number of seats for the last 30 years. FF are definitely gone way down, and it looks like Labour are gone for good. FG went down to 31 seats in 2002 but they have been steady enough since.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

It shows how ridiculous the last week was with rte ff and fg spending 90% of the time attacking sf and ignoring the real issues that the voters want sorting. It’s brilliant to see them rte **** rattled to the core now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Can't wait for the first tallies - get them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think FF would go into govt with SF in a jiffy. To screw over fg and get into power ...they would have no worries.

Zetor19 wrote:
    It shows how ridiculous the last week was with rte ff and fg spending 90% of the time attacking sf and ignoring the real issues that the voters want sorting. It’s brilliant to see them rte **** rattled to the core now.

Rattled? Rte will be grand after this

Now all they have to do, is merge and get it over with.

FF The Republican Party and SF were all the one in the past. They could get back together.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Rattled? Rte will be grand after this
    The Irish dept will be cheering.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Any indications on when the first preferences from any of the count centres will be verified?

almostover wrote: »
    So then only workable government appears to be a FG, FF and Greens coalition? There probably wont be enough FF/FG seats for another confidence and supply arrangement.

It's high time really that FG & FF merge into a centrist party. FG are a smidge right of centre and FF perhaps a smidge left. They're not that different from a policy perspective. About time the civil war politics were dumped.

That's how I'm seeing it too.

If they (FFG) refuse to work together, and the country is back at the polls in the next few months, the shinners will seize that opportunity to capitalise on it - stand a hell of a lot more candidates and really fracture FFGs seat share.

I think we are finally witnessing the end of FFG govt stranglehold.

Ok well I am not reacting until the final count is in. Call me Monday.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    If you don't see the point, well there's no point.

But here's the point - FG as the govt have failed to provide the funding or give this the importance it requires and we're already in two years.
    I think I'll take Shortall's view on this as she has championed such an approach for years.
    Well, she is a failed Junior Minister with a single issue. I hope it works but politicians trying to score points out of it l'm unimpressed by.

Ok well I am not reacting until the final count is in. Call me Monday.
    More likely Wednesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Loving all the gobsmacked contributers on RTE. They haven't a clue.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

McMurphy wrote:

Hopefully, but never underestimate either of these two, both behemoths

kerosene wrote: »
    Any indications on when the first preferences from any of the count centres will be verified?
    Lunchtime at least. Lots of stuff on tallies during the morning.

That's how I'm seeing it too.

If they (FFG) refuse to work together, and the country is back at the polls in the next few months, the shinners will seize that opportunity to capitalise on it - stand a hell of a lot more candidates and really fracture FFGs seat share.

They better up their act in the North. Otherwise people will be able to judge how useless they are when they get into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Contributors all from FG, FF, Greens and Labour....interesting....

is_that_so wrote: »
    More likely Wednesday!
    Ok call me Friday....Im busy Wed and Thurs.:)

They better up their act in the North. Otherwise people will be able to judge how useless they are when they get into government.

Only last week leo himself was crowing about how you cannot compare the executive in the north and how the Dail operates.

Mind you, it was in response to being reminded how it was hypocritical of him to constantly be urging the DUP and SF to put their differences behind them and sit down and work together, but from the other side of his mouth say he wouldn't sit down and work with SF.

In other news - I love how leo has newfound concern for the dole levels paid out in the north, ditto pension payments, and I cannot wait for him to come out swinging against the UK govt on residents in the Norths behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Long term plans are definitely the way to go, but I'd say there's many serious hurdles ahead there

Unfortunately it looks like many voters are choosing to punish long term planning in favour of unachievable promises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its the greatest crisis in the state since the 2010 bankruptcy when people spent themselves almost out of existence, or, one could say, since the arms crisis. That the SF supporters are blindly marching the country down a very troubled road in such numbers is rightly gobsmacking. Horrific. And gobsmacking. It is democracy spiralling out of control and shadowy subversive paramilitary forces getting uncomfortably close to the levers of power.

• Advertisement

In other news - I love how leo has newfound concern for the dole levels paid out in the north, ditto pension payments, and I cannot wait for him to come out swinging against the UK govt on residents in the Norths behalf.

Lol ...the north won't vote to give up all that. Don't worry.

Advertisement