Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    What did the old chancer say?;)

That he had his own controversies (sp?) over the election and it can spring 23 pages on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    it was the biggest brainfart any government ever had , add to that the opposition linked the proposed old RIC commemoration to the black and tans

PR catastrophe
    Also ...I think people want a stronger response to the Brexit question. Varadkar has been ...seen as soft against the Tories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I didn’t vote S.F.
    Apology accepted.

Apology ? I doubt you’re even old enough to vote go back to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

pc7 wrote: »
    That he had his own controversies (sp?) over the election and it can spring 23 pages on boards :)
    Haha
    I shouldn't but I like him

Lol Ivan Yates just gave Boards a mention

What did he say, PC. Don’t leave us hanging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

Hurrache wrote: »
    They're hardly going to have access to other people's machines to screen shot and email it to themselves.

A lot of them are shared spreadsheets.

STB. wrote: »
    He was banging on about Howlin being a capable leader and couldn't understand how they were no longer relevant. At least 2 of their candidates are well in their 70s. Thats how fecked things are in that party.

Yes. The simple matter is that Brendan Howlin and Co destroyed their own party when they went into power with FG, backed unsecured bondholders, delivered austerity measures, and wrecked any chance of recovery, ensuring no money for infrastructure and services.

labour and the soc dems are the two parties best placed to target the taxpaying renter

they didnt bother their arses

maybe they will now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

STB. wrote: »
    He was banging on about Howlin being a capable leader and couldn't understand how they were no longer relevant. At least 2 of their candidates are well in their 70s. Thats how fecked things are in that party.
    I think Howlin is sensible and generally OK but nothing terribly exciting. Labour looked like they are just in a holding pattern. Think they got a good few younger candidates out apart from the headliners, in readiness I imagine to replace them in the next election.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Haha
    I shouldn't but I like him

Yeah I do too (Eoghan Harris interview aside).

I don’t get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Eoghan Murphy safe according to Abi Philban Bowman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Harris looks safe in wicklow
    Sf taking two seats in cavan Monaghan

bollix

9% boxes on 19% - city end

C__MC wrote: »
    Harris looks safe in wicklow
    Border counties will swing to SF from now on. They kind of had already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Eoghan Harris safe to hold his seat - good news. Unfairly the lightning rods for some of the country's ire and in no way deserved not to hold on. The country needs its capable people in this troubled hour. So some sanity is prevailiing through the choas.

I don’t get it.

He was talking about social media and how it influences things nowadays. After his leaders debate and eoghan Harris interviews there was huge social media chatter over it. That’s what I took from what he said. He was saying how a controversy can trigger things. (Paraphrasing now)!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

MM must be scratching his head this morning over how he will form a Government, I think FF got caught on a hop because they thought they would do a lot better than the results form the exit poll are showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Sinn Fein helped to bring about the cease fire and were involved in the good Friday agreement!

It's been a while and my mind might be rusty, but didn't talks fall through because of an IRA bomb in London in 96, and it wasn't until Blair got elected that things got back on the road again.
    Then wasn't SFs unwillingness to agree to decommissioning of the IRAs arms something that almost brought the deal down a second time.
    Then when it was finally all signed it took them another couple of years to start decommissioning, which led to the UUP resigning from Stormont as the IRA weren't holding up their end of the deal.

I wouldn't be giving SF massive credit for the GFA considering how much they did that almost jeprodised the whole thing, but fine, they did eventually buy into it although it took an awful lot of hand holding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

labour and the soc dems are the two parties best placed to target the taxpaying renter

they didnt bother their arses

maybe they will now.
    Too damn late.
    Labour is a social welfare party now, and they should change their name.

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »

Oh my goodness. What is wrong with them up there. Its even worse than Kerry. That is the constituency where SF had one of its bomb makers on show at the polling station. What on earth are we going to do with some of these counties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Do you know. I think if SF had merely been politer .....someone would have gone into power with them. Its not just about the past. Its about how they treat people in the Dail. They are rude. Its very blind of them.

They haven't fostered good relationships with ANYONE outside of their own party either in NI in the UK here in Dublin or in the EU. I think that says a lot.

Ok they have supporters and voters. But they have not a single good working relationship with any party or organization.

They're in opposition! They're not elected in order to be polite to the main parties.

Let's not pretend that FF or FG haven't been incredibly insulting and condescending to them either. During this campaign, people have watched both Varadkar and especially Martin continuously denigrate them, refuse to recognise their popularity with voters and undemocratically ruled out power sharing with them.

Voters have clearly seen this as the usual FFG arrogance and have voted accordingly. People are sick and tired of FFG not listening to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think Howlin is sensible and generally OK but nothing terribly exciting. Labour looked like they are just in a holding pattern. Think they got a good few younger candidates out apart from the headliners, in readiness I imagine to replace them in the next election.

2011 37 TD's.
    2016 7 TD's

A holding pattern, you say. Where do you think their vote has gone ?

They need a total clear out, and go back to basics at grassroot level. Reading up on their own history and who they are meant to represent should be mandatory for all potential representatives.

Alan "AK47" Kelly isn't the answer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Apology ? I doubt you’re even old enough to vote go back to bed.

You are the one making all the assumptions.

I voted for SF, I didn’t
    I’m not old enough to vote, I am.

100% incorrect so far.

They're in opposition! They're not elected in order to be polite to the main parties.

Let's not pretend that FF or FG haven't been incredibly insulting and condescending to them either. During this campaign, people have watched both Varadkar and especially Martin continuously denigrate them, refuse to recognise their popularity with voters and undemocratically ruled out power sharing with them.

Voters have clearly seen this as the usual FFG arrogance and have voted accordingly. People are sick and tired of FFG not listening to them.

Both parties are elected to work together as well as challenge each other civilly.

They are elected to be professional politicians who don't take things personally.

Imagine being hired to do a job where you asses your colleagues but you refuse to work with them or just refuse to build a relationship?

That is not an opposition. Its theatrics. Its bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Coveney will take over FG, Leo will resign for the month is out.

They should probably have stuck with the democratic view of their members and gone with Coveney rather than appointing the great leader against the wishes of the party membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Acosta

Baffled that FG people would vote for him over Kate O'Connell.

Yep, SF have worked with all the left parties at minimum in the Dail.
    Howlin even mentioned he had very good relations with them.
    Varadkar and McDonald under the surface appear to have a rather good relationship.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    It's been a while and my mind might be rusty, but didn't talks fall through because of an IRA bomb in London in 96, and it wasn't until Blair got elected that things got back on the road again.
    Then wasn't SFs unwillingness to agree to decommissioning of the IRAs arms something that almost brought the deal down a second time.
    Then when it was finally all signed it took them another couple of years to start decommissioning, which led to the UUP resigning from Stormont as the IRA weren't holding up their end of the deal.

I wouldn't be giving SF massive credit for the GFA considering how much they did that almost jeprodised the whole thing, but fine, they did eventually buy into it although it took an awful lot of hand holding.
    YUP. The sdlp made the peace process happen.

They saw after a while they could win the peace though and have nicer lives.

But they dragged their feet.

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I wouldn't be giving SF massive credit for the GFA considering how much they did that almost jeprodised the whole thing

It would be a bit like giving Jodl and Keitel the credit for surrendering to the Allies at the end of WWII.

Advertisement