Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

STB. wrote: »
    2011 37 TD's.
    2016 7 TD's

A holding pattern, you say. Where do you think their vote has gone ?
    From 2016 yes and that is about the extent of their current aims. Their vote went down the toilet with Gilmore's hubris and wild overpromising - a lesson to other parties promising the sun, moon and stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

FFG are basically the same, their policies back up that. They're both responsible for the mess in health care and housing. People have voted with their feet.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Yep, SF have worked with all the left parties at minimum in the Dail.
    Nope.

They ripped into Paul Murphy. They also ripped into PBP. They were even found guilty of making fake accounts online to harass Paul Murphy.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    It's been a while and my mind might be rusty, but didn't talks fall through because of an IRA bomb in London in 96, and it wasn't until Blair got elected that things got back on the road again.
    Then wasn't SFs unwillingness to agree to decommissioning of the IRAs arms something that almost brought the deal down a second time.
    Then when it was finally all signed it took them another couple of years to start decommissioning, which led to the UUP resigning from Stormont as the IRA weren't holding up their end of the deal.

I wouldn't be giving SF massive credit for the GFA considering how much they did that almost jeprodised the whole thing, but fine, they did eventually buy into it although it took an awful lot of hand holding.

i would never underestimate the role SF played in bringing peace to the north.

their raison d'etre in terms of 32 counties, their pugnacity-first approach to everything, their unwillingness to relinquish their grá for the rifled hardman, their soft-shoeing punishment/drugs/laundering gangs around the border, their lack of credibility in drafting, defending or likelihood of implementing their basketcase policies, and lastly their highly objectionable approach of a rotating band of propagandeers on ...... social media are all reason enough to criticise them

but peace in the north is a miracle and they deserve massive plaudits for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Oh my goodness. What is wrong with them up there. Its even worse than Kerry. That is the constituency where SF had one of its bomb makers on show at the polling station. What on earth are we going to do with some of these counties ?
    Respect their views. A different life experience living on the border with all that brings with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

FFG are basically the same, their policies back up that. They're both responsible for the mess in health care and housing. People have voted with their feet.

What 20%?

Hardly a massive protest vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hopefully the useless Greens will kill off Labour and the Alphabetti Spaghetti Mob in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sinn fein
    502280.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Zappone and Shane Ross looking likely to lose their seats.

Glorious stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Acosta wrote: »
    Baffled that FG people would vote for him over Kate O'Connell.

I did, if you live in the area and see what koc charges in her chemist for example, you would too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What 20%?

Hardly a massive protest vote.

Look, if it actually turns out that way it is a game changer in Irish politics.
    At least admit that!
    All of the experts and analysts are saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

ricero wrote: »

Glorious stuff.

Great day to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Respect their views. A different life experience living on the border with all that brings with it.

Time to move on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Eoghan Harris safe to hold his seat - good news. Unfairly the lightning rods for some of the country's ire and in no way deserved not to hold on. The country needs its capable people in this troubled hour. So some sanity is prevailiing through the choas.

if we need the capable people then why do we need eoghan murphy

Kivaro wrote: »
    Too damn late.
    Labour is a social welfare party now, and they should change their name.

i agree!

but pbp and other lunatics outflanked them.

sf in many ways are further left (for the given definition of "promise more to those who contribute nothing") than labour are now.

theyd be well advised to have a long hard look.

rebecca moynihan wandering reuben st (REUBEN ST FFS! f*** all working in that little nest, and f*** all that want to) and leading with how feminist she is?

wtf has that to do with "labour"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,274 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Any chance you share the figures from the Exit Poll that confirmed the educational background of the voters questioned?
    I can't remember level of education being a question on the exit poll paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Glorious stuff.

Democracy at its finest, hopefully a few more of those idiots get turfed out!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Glorious stuff.
    Best news of this morning so far.
    Zappone had already spoken about being open to working with Fianna Fail in a new government.

Time to move on though.

Exactly, move on from the tweedle dum, tweedle dee, same Ole, same Ole.

Time for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Glorious stuff.

I rarely get excited by seeing people lose their seat unless they're absolutely abysmal, and Ross certainly fits that bill. Such forthright in opposition, but a spoofing chancer once he was in the position to do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Both parties are elected to work together as well as challenge each other civilly.

They are elected to be professional politicians who don't take things personally.

Imagine being hired to do a job where you asses your colleagues but you refuse to work with them or just refuse to build a relationship?

Yes, they are elected to work together. How does that square with FFG refusing to recognise the people's votes and staunchly refuse to ever work with SF?

It will be hard to them to dismiss the SF vote this time round...let's hope that arrogance softens somewhat from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Dessie Ellis. Heaven help us. On radio being interviewed if he were a normal person. The tragedy is that so many probably dont even know what he has done, represents, and brings to our parliament. And voted for him. Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

is_that_so wrote: »
    From 2016 yes and that is about the extent of their current aims. Their vote went down the toilet with Gilmore's hubris and wild overpromising - a lesson to other parties promising the sun, moon and stars.

You dont go into a holding pattern with 7 TD's. You go into re-building mode. What have they been doing over the past 5 years ?

Nothing. The clingers on wont admit that they are the problem.

They are not even a safe anti government vote anymore. They became indistinguishable from the right parties when they went into power with FG and reneged on their promises to those that voted for them. The party was decimated, with the remnants only there based upon hardened loyalty. As a result they are not a trusted alternative. If its about the future of the party, they need to step down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Glorious stuff.
    Not so fast on that off a couple of boxes. Both would normally expect be involved in final seats and a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

People being very dismissive even insulting to those who voted Sinn Fein. While I didn't give them a first preference I am glad to see the electorate haven't forgotten what FF did in Government. They are also sick being ignored by Fine Gael. FG spoke during the election how their long term plans are starting to work now that Homelessness is decreasing and house prices are just starting to fall. Ignoring the fact that these problems accelerated during their term in government. I happy to see that the loss in support for FF was not just a short term consequence of the recession and the two main parties can no longer take it for granted that one of them will be in Government. I think it's overly simplistic to say that this is a protest vote or populism. The status quo is not working. People want a alternative

Not sure what the hysteria over Sinn Fein is either. First of all, in the unlikely event they go into Government it won't be as a majority and will be with either FF or FG so its not like they will have free rein over the Irish economy. It might be overall beneficial to have a party that want to make housing and health a priority. They are also no fools. They are not going to do anything that will cause a mass exodus of multinational companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Christy42

Glorious stuff.

Saw an ad for Shane Ross talking about how he had just signed a deal for the FAI. How blatant do you have to be. Right before the election you try and do something after making a mess of it for several years.

At least do it a month or so before the election and try and pretend you did something for a reason other than the upcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Glorious stuff.

Shane Ross, the Minister for do nothing with special responsibilities to say not my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

People being very dismissive even insulting to those who voted Sinn Fein. While I didn't give them a first preference I am glad to see the electorate haven't forgotten what FF did in Government. They are also sick being ignored by Fine Gael. FG spoke during the election how their long term plans are starting to work now that Homelessness is decreasing and house prices are just starting to fall. Ignoring the fact that these problems accelerated during their term in government. I happy to see that the loss in support for FF was not just a short term consequence of the recession and the two main parties can no longer take it for granted that one of them will be in Government. I think it's overly simplistic to say that this is a protest vote or populism. The status quo is not working. People want a alternative

Not sure what the hysteria over Sinn Fein is either. First of all, in the unlikely event they go into Government it won't be as a majority and will be with either FF or FG so its not like they will have free rein over the Irish economy. It might be overall beneficial to have a party that want to make housing and health a priority. They are also no fools. They are not going to do anything that will cause a mass exodus of multinational companies.

It's rattled hysteria, fcking hilarious though.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not so fast on that off a couple of boxes. Both would normally expect be involved in final seats and a long way to go.

We live in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Donnacha O’ Laoighre on 25% from early tallies? Jeez that wasn’t expected I’d say

Advertisement