Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes, they are elected to work together. How does that square with FFG refusing to recognise the people's votes and staunchly refuse to ever work with SF?

It will be hard to them to dismiss the SF vote this time round...let's hope that arrogance softens somewhat from here on in.
    I said both sides. If the relationship isn't there yet...or the trust isnt there that sf won't return to violence. That's certainly not all FGs fault. Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

STB. wrote: »
    You dont go into a holding pattern with 7 TD's. You go into re-building mode. What have they been doing over the past 5 years ?

Nothing. The clingers on wont admit that they are the problem.

They are not even a safe anti government vote anymore. They became indistinguishable from the right parties when they went into power with FG and reneged on their promises to those that voted for them. The party was desimated, with the remnants only there based upon hardened loyalty. If its about the future of the party, they need to step down.
    Well you do if voters don't look like giving you any more votes. On balance it probably made sense to them to run the "oldies" one more time. They may pick up two seats anyway. Their Dail aim would be 7 seats and speaking time by right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

People being very dismissive even insulting to those who voted Sinn Fein. While I didn't give them a first preference I am glad to see the electorate haven't forgotten what FF did in Government. They are also sick being ignored by Fine Gael. FG spoke during the election how their long term plans are starting to work now that Homelessness is decreasing and house prices are just starting to fall. Ignoring the fact that these problems accelerated during their term in government. I happy to see that the loss in support for FF was not just a short term consequence of the recession and the two main parties can no longer take it for granted that one of them will be in Government. I think it's overly simplistic to say that this is a protest vote or populism. The status quo is not working. People want a alternative

Not sure what the hysteria over Sinn Fein is either. First of all, in the unlikely event they go into Government it won't be as a majority and will be with either FF or FG so its not like they will have free rein over the Irish economy. It might be overall beneficial to have a party that want to make housing and health a priority. They are also no fools. They are not going to do anything that will cause a mass exodus of multinational companies.

It took 89 pages to find a comment that articulated common sense on this outcome.

Those that are condescending to the Sinn Fein voters have to realise that it wasnt JUST the young voters. SINN Fein do well at all ages up to 65. To be bitter and angry to that amount of people surely requires some
    Inward looking at oneself.

By all means disagree - but the current attitude of a few head are
    Making them sound like a
    Cliche of an old and bitter person.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

leahyl wrote: »
    Donnacha O’ Laoighre on 25% from early tallies? Jeez that wasn’t expected I’d say

Out polling the next likely taoiseach, crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

leahyl wrote: »
    Donnacha O’ Laoighre on 25% from early tallies? Jeez that wasn’t expected I’d say

RTE said half the boxes are open and Sinn Fein are ahead of FF and FG (first preference)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Out polling the next likely taoiseach, crazy.

Amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

57% boxes Dub Central

Mary Lou 38%
    Green 13%
    Paschal 12%
    Gannon 9%
    FF 8%
    Christy Burke 6%
    Lab 6%

Christy Burke in with a shout there (Mary Lou's surplus)

We live in hope.
    I wouldn't really miss either and they were the most likely Government ministers to suit themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

flexcon wrote: »
    It took 89 pages to find a comment that articulated common sense on this outcome.

Those that are condescending to the Sinn Fein voters have to realise that it wasnt JUST the young voters. SINN Fein do well at all ages up to 65. To be bitter and angry to that amount of people surely requires some

Making them sound like a

^This
    Appears to be forgotten in all the pearl clutching.

<Waits for oh they're all spongers and jobless etc etc blah>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well you do if voters don't look like giving you any more votes. On balance it probably made sense to them to run the "oldies" one more time. They may pick up two seats anyway. Their Dail aim would be 7 seats and speaking time by right.

They should have been doing that in 2016. A lot of their vote has been robbed by SF. Three of their candidates are past retirement age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

Sounds like Ross, zappone and Regina Doherty are not going to make it so there's some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,561 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

SF look good for a seat in Galway West. Not achieved since 1920s

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lowry and the Healy Rae's doing well ... I really wonder about some of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

SF would be mad to go in with either FF/FG it has taken years to get this far let FF or FG go in with a mix of others and next time SF will poll even better

To date going in with FG or FF is the kiss of death for the other party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

6 wrote: »

Kildare North also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Making them sound like a
    `

Biggest party in Dublin for people between 18-65

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

xl500 wrote: »
    SF would be mad to go in with either FF/FG it has taken years to get this far let FF or FG go in with a mix of others and next time SF will poll even better

If SF decide to try and be tactical and sit it out when the surge in support is clearly for them to help form a Government, it'll backfire next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

SF are a cert to top the poll in Wexford, ever seen that one coming.

Howlin and Verona Murphy look like they're going to lose out according to RTE :eek:

6 wrote: »

Polling well in Galway east too. Never heard of the candidate before which is a good indicator of how people voted yesterday. Look for SF on the ballot and tick. Not a clue who or what they were voting for.

Making them sound like a

I think

in a boards politics thread, you have to take into account that people are mainly responding to other comments, so theres a case of reacting to the extreme either end, but if theres a big move towards SF you cannot expect it to be hardcore support for all their policies- its much more likely to be soft and shaky until evidence suggests otherwise, right?

also, the point that SF arent in power yet by any safe stretch, wont be leading anything and will have to compromise on anything theyve promised- well, doesnt that work both ways? anyone giving it the big one about a sea change seems......naive

so i agree, the big move in sf vote shouldnt be ignored, and those who did so have a range of valid reasons, but rte are overreacting to the "big story" because theres nothing else to say yet, the shinners are overclaiming it as a victory for their approach when that remains to be seen and i think those of us deeply perturbed by SF triumphalism- which like it or not comes with a couple of ahem health warnings that dont apply to other parties- perhaps are for our part reacting less than gracefully

im glad fg have taken a sustained shoeing. im glad labour likewise. im very glad that ff did not see the bounce back theyd have hoped for.

im sickened enough that nobody better than SF presented as an alternative for the worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I wonder does Jonathan O'Brien have any regrets about giving up political life.

He was a fantastic speaker and very capable public representative.

STB. wrote: »
    They should have been doing that in 2016. A lot of their vote has been robbed by SF. Three of their candidates are past retirement age!
    To be fair they were all kind of busy up to then and Labour having to toe the line on austerity and no spending killed them. That was all of their own making with their absurd notions in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I did, if you live in the area and see what koc charges in her chemist for example, you would too.
    She also has an absolute tonne of properties commercial and non.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Sinn fein going to get a victory in wexford to

• Registered Users Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭listermint

threeball wrote: »
    A load of students who dont yet have to deal with economic realities giving two fingers to the sitting government. Give them 5yrs and paying tax, let's see their cough softened then when SF is pouring money into anto, jacinta and their 4 ankle biters.

None.

Zero

Of the statistics back up that statement. It's all voters of working age brackets below 65.

I mean. Why spout this stuff if the reality can be clearly disproven.

If folks aren't bothered to understand what people are voting and why then your on to nothing. This protest vote stuff is nonsense. Like yourself your not bothered to understand to lift the lid bar some factless crap about unemployed students

Mind numbingly dumb analysis

xl500 wrote: »

I think the grand coalition is on the cards. Neither of them want to deal with Sinn Fein. Either way it's bad news for the country. Sinn Fein as main opposition attacking every single move doesn't make for good government either.

listermint wrote: »
    None.

Zero

Of the statistics back up that statement. It's all voters of working age brackets below 65.

I mean. Why spout this stuff if the reality can be clearly disproven.

If folks aren't bothered to understand what people are voting and why then your on to nothing. This protest vote stuff is nonsense. Like yourself your not bothered to understand to lift the lid bar some factless crap about unemployed students

Mind numbingly dumb analysis

A huge vote came from the 18 to 24 demographic so hardly baseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    If SF decide to try and be tactical and sit it out when the surge in support is clearly for them to help form a Government, it'll backfire next time.

I'm not so sure, they have the excuse that neither FG or FF want them as a partner so may play the long game and try to do even better in the next GE which may not be too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Any news on how the great white hope, Gemma O'Doherty is doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Catherine Noone...on 2 percent on tallies..lol

You love to see it.

Fingal now on rte GODs..

Advertisement