Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The people could live in some of the 200,000 empty houses while they are waiting for their new house to be built.

They've been empty since 2009 or thereabouts.

My guess is it would have been cheaper to finish them/refurbish them and make them available as social/affordable homes that would have been state owned (an asset) than what the govt did for the last 9 years.

Putting folk up in hotels, B&Bs and subsidizing private buy to let landlords mortgages was the route FG chose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Is there anyone that can summarise the results so far? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A Sinn Fein surge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Paddy power ff47, fg38, sf37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

First count results in some constituencies are expected in mid to late afternoon.

Mine, Dub MW is due about now-ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭This is it

emo72 wrote: »
    Joan Burton and Regina Doherty. Somebody please tell me they're finished.

Doherty 4 points off Thomas Byrne with 70%+ counted last I checked. She's gone I'd say. O'Rourke, McEntee and Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

No seat filled yet

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/results/#/national

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

easypazz wrote: »

Incredible if SF can translate 42 candidates into 37 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

McMurphy wrote: »

My guess is it would have been cheaper to finish them/refurbish them and make them available as social/affordable homes that would have been state owned (an asset) than what the govt did for the last 9 years.

Putting folk up in hotels, B&Bs and subsidizing private buy to let landlords mortgages was the route FG chose though.

Every time the subject comes up on here of doing that, there's a slew of reasons why it's unfair to ask people to take a free house not in Dublin beside their family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What are the chances we will be back here again in 6 - 8 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

EQVEB-ZX0AEfmh4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Very surprised. She's been all over the TV and was seen as young blood for a party severely lacking in same.

Her involvement in the Votegate thing hurt her more than people realise, after decades of politicians getting away with all sorts seeing a young up and comer being dodgy is the last thing people want to see

regardless of party affiliation, everyone should agree with the broad point here for sure

propping up investments with taxes when assets were going for a song, an awful approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

I don't think it's an overreaction or patronising to voters to have serious concerns about the impact Sinn Fein being in government will have on the economy.

National debt is currently €233bn. A lot of their plans involve borrowing, at a particularly dangerous time in the Irish economy, with some sort of global recession widely predicted in the next 1-2 years. If interest rates go up and SF have borrowed a load more money, we're fooked.

People want to believe they'll fix all the problems in Irish society, grand, let them at it. Democracy in action.

I just think that none of our options are particularly appealing, rather than believing that SF are going to swoop in on their white horse and really change anything for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

easypazz wrote: »

SF will probably be at 39 to 40 seats, when it's over?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Did I hear that Zappone and Ross are struggling? Would make my day if both lost their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

limnam wrote: »
    It was signed 3 years ago.

FG have been in the driving seat for the last 3 years. NOT SF.

I suppose ill say it again maybe in caps so you read it this time THEY ALL SIGNED UP TO THE SAME PLAN

Every time the subject comes up on here of doing that, there's a slew of reasons why it's unfair to ask people to take a free house not in Dublin beside their family.

find me a job near a free house down the country, i'll be there 9am tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hearing Whitmore (SD) is in in Wicklow at the expense of Donnelly (FF).

Delighted. I could never forgive him for joining FF, after I voted him firstly as an ind and then a SD.

For a clever man, that was a ridiculously stupid move.

Another fall from grace that can join Ross. He was pretty awful in recent debates and like Ross, another that found it easier to hurl from the populist ditch. It'll be interesting to see if he's out for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

C__MC wrote: »
    Sad demise of the labour party
    Founded by a great man but their in steep decline

It's a demise they created themselves. They got into bed with FG and allowed themselves to be their poodle, trying to sell the likes of Irish Water to a voter base that would be opposed to it and pumping up rubbish like Jobbridge.

Can't say I have any sympathy for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shelga wrote: »
    I don't think it's an overreaction or patronising to voters to have serious concerns about the impact Sinn Fein being in government will have on the economy.

National debt is currently €233bn. A lot of their plans involve borrowing, at a particularly dangerous time in the Irish economy, with some sort of global recession widely predicted in the next 1-2 years. If interest rates go up and SF have borrowed a load more money, we're fooked.

People want to believe they'll fix all the problems in Irish society, grand, let them at it. Democracy in action.

I just think that none of our options are particularly appealing, rather than believing that SF are going to swoop in on their white horse and really change anything for the better.

The real power.

The civil service is going no where.

Anyone who doesn't understand how it works would share your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

find me a job near a free house down the country, i'll be there 9am tomorrow!

Like half of Dublin who had to buy houses in Laoise and commute?

If you are "homeless" , the chance of a council house down the country should have you running down there to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did I hear that Zappone and Ross are struggling? Would make my day if both lost their seats.

Zappone inside and outside politics did more for her community than you can ever imagine equally more than most politicians ever do.

And who will be running the health service tomorrow even if there's a complete change of government?

The unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

listermint wrote: »
    Zappone inside and outside politics did more for her community than you can ever imagine equally more than most politicians ever do.

Yeah but she was a fecking useless minister for children

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Still not one who should have ever been anywhere near power in Government, and I'll be one of those very happy if she, along with Lord Ross, are out of the game later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Shelga wrote: »

Yep. Very scary prospect as a taxpayer but I respect democracy and the voters choice- there are consequences to choices in life though, as you say nothing wrong with pointing that out or holding sf to account on their economic policies.
    Public finances are quite fragile, we have a huge debt to service and any downturn could quickly put us in deficit and under pressure. People don’t want to hear that evidently but that doesn’t make it wrong to point it out to them regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

VinLieger wrote: »
    I suppose ill say it again maybe in caps so you read it this time THEY ALL SIGNED UP TO THE SAME PLAN

I'll say it again.

FG have done fck all for 9 years.

They've done fck all with the plan in the last 3 years.

People committing suicide they're on trollys that long.

But fck it. This is the best we can hope for.

Christ all mighty.

No wonder SF are running amok.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Did more harm...

• Advertisement

Never seen that John, I'd be rightly annoyed at them if true.

This is the point many are making, they've some pretty dodgy character who's history you don't have to go too far back to. Imagine him having access to the department of justice and special branch?

Advertisement