Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

VinLieger wrote: »
    I suppose ill say it again maybe in caps so you read it this time THEY ALL SIGNED UP TO THE SAME PLAN

It's alright saying they all signed up to it, but whose job was it to implement it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Still not one who should have ever been anywhere near power in Government, and I'll be one of those very happy if she, along with Lord Ross, are out of the game later today.

She was a desperate do gooder clown. Her trip to the Calais jungle was enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Shelga wrote: »
    I don't think it's an overreaction or patronising to voters to have serious concerns about the impact Sinn Fein being in government will have on the economy.

National debt is currently €233bn. A lot of their plans involve borrowing, at a particularly dangerous time in the Irish economy, with some sort of global recession widely predicted in the next 1-2 years. If interest rates go up and SF have borrowed a load more money, we're fooked.

People want to believe they'll fix all the problems in Irish society, grand, let them at it. Democracy in action.

I just think that none of our options are particularly appealing, rather than believing that SF are going to swoop in on their white horse and really change anything for the better.
    Being realistic here, the national debt is:
    That high because of what FF did
    That high because of what FG didn't do

And FFG are better for the national debt because?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I don't think it's an overreaction or patronising to voters to have serious concerns about the impact Sinn Fein being in government will have on the economy.

National debt is currently €233bn. A lot of their plans involve borrowing, at a particularly dangerous time in the Irish economy, with some sort of global recession widely predicted in the next 1-2 years. If interest rates go up and SF have borrowed a load more money, we're fooked.

People want to believe they'll fix all the problems in Irish society, grand, let them at it. Democracy in action.

I just think that none of our options are particularly appealing, rather than believing that SF are going to swoop in on their white horse and really change anything for the better.

Show me where in their manifesto it says they require to borrow funds? They have stated repeatedly they will actually run a surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

limnam wrote: »
    I'll say it again.

FG have done fck all for 9 years.

They've done fck all with the plan in the last 3 years.

People committing suicide they're on trollys that long.

But fck it. This is the best we can hope for.

Christ all mighty.

No wonder SF are running amok.

You have no clue, the reason they all signed up to it was to stop the every changing priorities like you are suggesting with each new government, the plan is for 10 years scrapping it now would be moronic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

McMurphy wrote: »
    They've been empty since 2009 or thereabouts.

My guess is it would have been cheaper to finish them/refurbish them and make them available as social/affordable homes that would have been state owned (an asset) than what the govt did for the last 9 years.

Putting folk up in hotels, B&Bs and subsidizing private buy to let landlords mortgages was the route FG chose though.

It would need the agreement of the people in Dublin to move and would take some organisation. But there is plenty of properties out there which could be used.

My suggestion would be to make three offers to the "homeless" family, and if none were suitable, they would continue to live in their current accommodation and wait for their new house. But new houses in Dublin are not going to be easy to provide.

Of the total 245,460 vacant dwellings, 62,148 were identified as holiday homes by the enumerators. The majority of these were detached houses (45,163); semi-detached houses accounted for 6,595 while there were 4,572 apartments (incl. bedsits) classified as holiday homes.

There were 183,312 other vacant dwellings in April 2016, of which 140,120 were houses and 43,192 were apartments. The majority of houses were detached, accounting for 79,966 or 44 per cent of vacant dwellings.

I'll say it again.

Christ all mighty.

Very silly and not objective analysis. Things have improved enormously in those years from where we were

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Incredible if SF can translate 42 candidates into 37 seats.

It must be sickening for FFG candidates who have worked hard for their constituencies for years being bumped off in favour of, in some cases, virtual unknowns with a SF sticker affixed to their chests.

Enda Kenny promised huge change back in 2011 and quickly fell back into the same old routine. Will they learn this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So many constituencies looking likely to return 1 or 2 FG and no FF; looks to me like FG might end up biggest party but this is not reflect in bookies' odds yet. Anyone got a steer on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The absolute irony that we got a Taoiseach that does nothing but talk and is an expert about every one else’s department. But gets nothing here done in nine years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'll say it again.

Christ all mighty.

So what will another government do to fix it? Throw another 2b at the health service? 5b ? 10b?

Are SF going to sack everyone running the health service and start again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

You have no clue, the reason they all signed up to it was to stop the every changing priorities like you are suggesting with each new government, the plan is for 10 years scrapping it now would be moronic

Doing something in the 6 years before it?

Doing something in the 3 years it's been signed?

Not having people top themselves waiting on trollys so long?

This is the best we can hope for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

road_high wrote: »
    She was a desperate do gooder clown. Her trip to the Calais jungle was enough for me

Ah the oul foreigner's ..... Out in force again.

Do gooder. Is that the best you've got

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Both FF & FG leaders knocked off top spot in their own constituencies.
    It's a rout.

Very silly and not objective analysis. Things have improved enormously in those years from where we were

How can things be improving when he have historically highs of waiting lists.

People on trollys etc ?

People can't find a local dr!

What's improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Maybe now at least we can have a reforendum on Irish water rather than blasphemy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hurrache wrote: »
    Another fall from grace that can join Ross. He was pretty awful in recent debates and like Ross, another that found it easier to hurl from the populist ditch. It'll be interesting to see if he's out for certain.
    I don't understand why he couldn't stick with the SDs and show a bit of principle. Seems to be a smart man , if belatedly found to be somewhat unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The absolute irony that we got a Taoiseach that does nothing but talk and is an expert about every one else’s department. But gets nothing here done in nine years...

Yeah he's Taoiseach 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

This is what the polls really show. The talk of this being a huge sea change is overegged. A confused electorate, with the various options all having huge shortfalls and nothing that people really want to get behind.

I'll be interested to see turnout numbers. I think this election is one of the most engaged I have seen people across all demographics and sections of society. I'm not sure though how that will translate to numbers as while people were engaged the overriding conversations when I talked to people were just how undecided and clueless they were on how they wanted to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It must be sickening for FFG candidates who have worked hard for their constituencies for years being bumped off in favour of, in some cases, virtual unknowns with a SF sticker affixed to their chests.

Enda Kenny promised huge change back in 2011 and quickly fell back into the same old routine. Will they learn this time?

The old routine for emigration and unemployment are gone. And negative equity is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Doing something in the 6 years before it?

Doing something in the 3 years it's been signed?

Not having people top themselves waiting on trollys so long?

This is the best we can hope for ?

Its being implemented, its 1 or 2 years behind in some parts but scrapping it now is literally repeating the cycle of how the health service got the way it is currently

Its being implemented, its 1 or 2 years behind in some parts but scrapping it now is literally repeating the cycle of how the health service got the way it is currently

It's two years behind after 3 years?

Cracking job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hurrache wrote: »
    This is the point many are making, they've some pretty dodgy character who's history you don't have to go too far back to. Imagine him having access to the department of justice and special branch?

We have a commissioner for the Gardai who was a member of a group who have been found on numerous occasions to have colluded and conspired in murdering nationalists in their own communities.

I'm sure if I go trawling your post history I would find evidence of you having expressed the same concerns there too?

GFA signed 20 years ago. There's no provos under your bed - no more than their are members of the red hand commandos with the keys to phoenix park FFS.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Maybe now at least we can have a reforendum on Irish water rather than blasphemy

Yes that’ll be wonderful but the small matter of paying for it will continue. Sure we can “tax the rich” and it’ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The two FF/FG lads in the RTE studio (particularly the fella on the left) don't look happy!

FG lad still saying they won't do business with SF, as is the FF lad.

Hmm.. FF/FG preparing to merge to stop SF getting at the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Being realistic here, the national debt is:
    That high because of what FF did
    That high because of what FG didn't do

And FFG are better for the national debt because?

Where did I say FFG were better? I said none of the choices are appealing, just that I personally think this wave of enthusiasm for Sinn Fein will lead to disappointment over the next few years- like it always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

McMurphy wrote: »
    We have a commissioner for the Gardai who was a member of a group who have been found on numerous occasions to have colluded and conspired in murdering nationalists in their own communities.

I'm sure if I go trawling your post history I would find evidence of you having expressed the same concerns there too?

GFA signed 20 years ago. There's no provos under your bed - no more than their are members of the red hand commandos with the keys to phoenix park FFS.

Whataboutery at its finest

How can things be improving when he have historically highs of waiting lists.

People on trollys etc ?

People can't find a local dr!

What's improved?

You’re actually fighting yesterday’s war- the people want SF to “solve” these issues now so people can now look to seeing the results and indeed scrutinising same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Both chairmen of Ff and FG on live tv saying they will not under any circumstances talk to SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The two FF/FG lads in the RTE studio (particularly the fella on the left) don't look happy!

FG lad still saying they won't do business with SF

He looks like he has a lemon in his mouth

Advertisement