Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

FG looking like they'll stay as the largest party. Great win for them. SF, the incompetents made a bags of their candidate selection. Shot themselves in the foot with their AK47s.

Don't worry, I think SF will be more than happy with their performance today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

FG looking like they'll stay as the largest party. Great win for them. SF, the incompetents made a bags of their candidate selection. Shot themselves in the foot with their AK47s.

Didn't you resign your FG membership in favour of FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

limnam wrote: »
    How does any of this excuse sitting on your hands for 9 years?

Your a broken record arguing with yourself, nobody is excusing FG, im just pointing out currently under slaintecare nobody could claim to be able to do any better as they all have to adhere to the same plans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭adocholiday

This is what the polls really show. The talk of this being a huge sea change is overegged. A confused electorate, with the various options all having huge shortfalls and nothing that people really want to get behind.

I'll be interested to see turnout numbers. I think this election is one of the most engaged I have seen people across all demographics and sections of society. I'm not sure though how that will translate to numbers as while people were engaged the overriding conversations when I talked to people were just how undecided and clueless they were on how they wanted to vote.

Or you could be like me and many of friends and family who feel that we have no representation. As a middle class PAYE worker on a relatively decent salary I just feel shafted by every one of them. SF think I'm not paying enough tax, the loony lefties think we should be giving the layabouts more money for scratching themselves, and FF/FG just let business and money dictate how they run things.

Where is the party that represents those of us who want to work, pay our mortgage, raise our families, and avail of decent public services? The vast majority of the population genuinely has nobody that really represents them (and no SF are absolutely not the answer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

McMurphy wrote: »
    You're a FF man now though Paddy, you hardly forgot that already?

I never said otherwise.

Were you belting out the Wolfe Tones with the rest of the lads at the count centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ha, I'm not a bit upset. I simply pointed out actuality of some of the reasons why some people will ever vote SF.

You're the one who got offended and keeps coming back to it, I'm not the one who needs to move on from anything.

Not offended in the slightest, in fact I was typing out how your attitude was nothing but hypocritical pontificating with a big grin on my face.

The lobsided/hypocritical stances in some folks arguments are easier to spot than others.

Yours stood out like a sore thumb tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭adocholiday

This is what the polls really show. The talk of this being a huge sea change is overegged. A confused electorate, with the various options all having huge shortfalls and nothing that people really want to get behind.

I'll be interested to see turnout numbers. I think this election is one of the most engaged I have seen people across all demographics and sections of society. I'm not sure though how that will translate to numbers as while people were engaged the overriding conversations when I talked to people were just how undecided and clueless they were on how they wanted to vote.

Or you could be like me and many of friends and family who feel that we have no representation. As a middle class PAYE worker on a relatively decent salary I just feel shafted by every one of them. SF think I'm not paying enough tax, the loony lefties think we should be giving the layabouts more money for scratching themselves, and FF/FG just let business and money dictate how they run things.

Where is the party that represents those of us who want to work, pay our mortgage, raise our families, and avail of decent public services? The vast majority of the population genuinely has nobody that really represents them (and no SF are absolutely not the answer).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How does any of this excuse sitting on your hands for 9 years?
    Add 20,30,40 or even 50 years to that number. Angola has always been a patchwork. Slaintecare is supposed to resolve the major heath issues and all-party too but you don't seem to have any interest in it. Isn't this an election of change?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Looks like Cork NW may be possibly the only constituency where there will be no change either in parties or in personalities. Not certain of that yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I think the only outcome of this election is a FF/FG coalition.

There policies are fairly similar, they may have an overall majority to get things done. May need the Greens.

Health and housing are the two big issues - the economy is moving along well (thanks to FG)

Why are they so afraid that they will be hurt in the next General Election - do they know that deep down that they won't be able to fix the health and housing issues, and will lose even more votes in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

Yes it really baffles me with our limited choices how no one can put together a new relatively sane party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

McMurphy wrote: »
    Not offended in the slightest, in fact I was typing out how your attitude was nothing but hypocritical pontificating with a big grin on my face.

The lobsided/hypocritical stances in some folks arguments are easier to spot than others.

Yours stood out like a sore thumb tbh.

Stop making out like it was a war with two sides. It was a terrorism campaign of bombings and smashing people's knees with cudgels and baseball bats. The IRA are not soldiers, they're thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Looks like we could be losing Gino Kenny, one of the more colourful characters in the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hurrache wrote: »
    They've been saying it long before today, on TV and radio.
    Which was also stupid but a dogwhistle only to their own.
    When the results are looking like nothing before, don't box yourself in is beyond the actual chairs of both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

This is exactly the ground FG should have been representing. Made sounds about doing so and then completely ignored them. They need a leader who will move them a little more to the right on issues like this. The middle class and self employed need representation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Looks most likely like a Fianna Fail - Fine Gael government with Micheal at the reigns this time. Otherwise its back to the electorate again.

Seems nobody wants to have any truck with SF. The General Secretary of FG has reiterated that position. Is the FF position the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dampsquid wrote: »
    I think the only outcome of this election is a FF/FG coalition.

There policies are fairly similar, they may have an overall majority to get things done. May need the Greens.

Health and housing are the two big issues - the economy is moving along well (thanks to FG)

Why are they so afraid that they will be hurt in the next General Election - do they know that deep down that they won't be able to fix the health and housing issues, and will lose even more votes in the next election.

I thought people think even if they joined they might not have enough seats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Mind you don';t choke on your carvery

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I never said otherwise.

Were you belting out the Wolfe Tones with the rest of the lads at the count centre?

Na, I've Pink Floyd playing in the background.

A song about the black and tans v the official IRA doesn't really float my boat tbh.

• Advertisement

Where indeed. It wouldn't take a whole lot of change for FF or FG to do this but they've failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yes it really baffles me with our limited choices how no one can put together a new relatively sane party
    True.
    The Social Democrats might be it...they might take some more seats hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 82,864 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

E-voting would have made things so boring. Hopefully they run the elections always on a Saturday, worked so much better to give people a chance to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

threeball wrote: »
    This is exactly the ground FG should have been representing. Made sounds about doing so and then completely ignored them. They need a leader who will move them a little more to the right on issues like this. The middle class and self employed need representation

Hear hear. He came in on a mandate of “looking after those who work” but did very little for us in reality- we needed and a deserved a healthy tax cut last budget. Instead they liked the carbon tax and gave a Xmas bonus to people that never even vote FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,045 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

STB. wrote: »
    Looks most likely like a Fine Fail - Fine Gael government with Micheal at the reigns this time. Otherwise its back to the elctorate again.

Seems nobody wants to have an truck with SF. The General Secretary of FG has reiterated that position. Is the FF position the same ?

Seems like FF are the same. There was FF guy on RTÉ and said it was agreed by the party in 2017(I didn't know there was a formal agreement) to no go into coalition with SF.

STB. wrote: »
    Looks most likely like a Fine Fail - Fine Gael government with Micheal at the reigns this time. Otherwise its back to the elctorate again.

Seems nobody wants to have an truck with SF. The General Secretary of FG has reiterated that position. Is the FF position the same ?

Many who voted SF will be happy with this. It will see the slow demise of FF speed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

E-voting would have made things so boring. Hopefully they run the elections always on a Saturday, worked so much better to give people a chance to vote.

500 million wasted by FF.

It must be sickening for FFG candidates who have worked hard for their constituencies for years being bumped off in favour of, in some cases, virtual unknowns with a SF sticker affixed to their chests.

Enda Kenny promised huge change back in 2011 and quickly fell back into the same old routine. Will they learn this time?

in fairness, let them learn: constituency work is not their job. go forth into the dail and do your job: working hard every day to improve the country

of course, the voters will punish you either way, for no record will ever beat a promise and everyone wants their form filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That is so embarrassing for this country.
    Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Why cant it be FF/Greens/independents to form a coalition??

Paddy Power seems to think it might

Advertisement