Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

A blockchain implementation of voting would be extremely secure. Somebody has to be the first to take the plunge and its like everybody is waiting for someone else to go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

gmisk wrote: »
    She is in serious trouble as well!

Well can't fault the Irish public for either of those

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Oh look.. Simon Harris is alive!

What would father jack say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's not bad when he's not My Angry!

Just clarified my post, you mean Doherty or O'Brion?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well can't fault the Irish public for either of those
    Maybe fault them for voting them in in the first place though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

charlie14 wrote: »
    From what I can see SF didn`t run enough candidates and they are making serious inroads into all others on the left.
    The combined FG/FF vote hasn`t dropped to the extent that their combined seats will not get them that close to the magic 80 seats as makes no difference.
    Whichever one of them that can put the most numbers together from other parties and Independents will form a government with a confidence and supply agreement from the other
    With both their general secretaries today ruling out SF, I cannot see any other outcome tbh.

Sinn Fein and Fine Gael government is a nonstarter. Commentaries and remarks by FG followers about a substantial portion of the Irish electorate on here, it'll be best to stay away from these hateful people. 

My Preference would be FF + Sinn Fein Government.

Sinn Fein received more votes combined than the other main parties in some large voting centres around the country. Obviously when you equal, the vote count of two main parties, the refusal to form a government with Sinn Fein is shameful. You are represent the people not your own interests.. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

So you trust the software engineers? Do you trust the operating system's engineers? Do you connect it to the internet? Do you allow updates? I assume you keep the machines under armed guard 24 /7. You've far too many risks.

https://www.acm.org/public-policy/e-voting-remains-insecure

As I said.

I didn't say it was easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's the height of short term planning failings, and frankly stupidity, to rush in and build on green field sites.

Worked out well during the 80s, and commuters outside the M50 are still enduring the effects of this dumb planning decades later.

The planning regulation will have to allow for high rise in Dublin in that case. How are the Greens on that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

If this ends in another election they need to make sure they don't hold it on the weekend again. Too many young idiots got out to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ahaha.... the link dropped just as Simon started waxing lyrical about how FG have done better than expected! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sinn Fein and Fine Gael government is a nonstarter. Commentaries and remarks by FG followers about a substantial portion of the Irish electorate on here, it'll be best to stay away from this hateful people. 

My Preference would be FF + Sinn Fein Government.

Sinn Fein received more votes combined than the other main parties in some large voting centres around the country. Obviously when you equal, the vote count of two main parties, the refusal to form a government with Sinn Fein is shameful. You are represent the people not your own interests.. 

Here is their problem. When they freeze or try to freeze scout and likely deliver another term or partial term of failure. Sf have been handed the most seats for the next election on a platter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Luckily they lost the link to Simon Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Tea Shock wrote: »
    A blockchain implementation of voting would be extremely secure. Somebody has to be the first to take the plunge and its like everybody is waiting for someone else to go first.

Secure perhaps. But the issue is the level of trust e voting requires. It requires hundreds of people to be trusted. You don't need to trust a single person in the paper based process

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hurrache wrote: »
    Just clarified my post, you mean Doherty or O'Brion?
    Doherty. I find O'Broin to be a drone but a good drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ahaha.... the link dropped just as Simon started waxing lyrical about how FG have done better than expected! :p
    I'm lagging behind on my mobile typing abilities, lol that was quick

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Terry Prone, her analysis should be gold.

If this ends in another election they need to make sure they don't hold it on the weekend again. Too many young idiots got out to vote.

Perhaps they should hold it during the night so old cranks who are only interested in their own selfish interests don't go out and vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

But sure wouldn't all the young people be hung over after drinking on Friday people said....
    Seriously wise up.
    I think the Saturday voting has been a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Luckily they lost the link to Simon Harris

I like Simon. He'll be getting a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Secure perhaps. But the issue is the level of trust e voting requires. It requires hundreds of people to be trusted. You don't need to trust a single person in the paper based process

The computers could be linked to a fingerprint scanner. This would prevent the double voting by those who have two addresses. Some posters on Boards know of numerous cases. You can't trust everyone to keep to the rules.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    As I said.

I didn't say it was easy.

Better minds than ours have said it's impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just as well FG didn't follow through with giving 16s a vote. You'd be wiped out now Paddy.
    Tick tock tick tock, the time bomb is ticking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

pjohnson wrote: »
    Confidence and supply will guarantee SF next time around away. Their handholding this time is what helped SF. Reinforcing they are the same wont win people over.

Difficult to say nowadays when you see where SF came from in the European and locals too their vote today.
    As the saying goes a week is a long time in politics.
    The two main vote getters in this election were health and housing. Those improve and anything could be possible.

The computers could be linked to a fingerprint scanner. This would prevent the double voting by those who have two addresses. Some posters on Boards know of numerous cases. You can't trust everyone to keep to the rules.

In Afghanistan they used a blue ink that took a while to wash off. Simple, effective and unhackable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What was the overall turnout ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

You do have to trust people on the paper voting system.
    And you don't have to trust hundreds of people o. A blockchain implementation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

pjohnson wrote: »
    Confidence and supply will guarantee SF next time around away. Their handholding this time is what helped SF. Reinforcing they are the same wont win people over.

I woundt be quite so sure of that if I were you, and I didnt get where I am today without knowing a thing or two.
    Even at the height of a two part system with only scarce votes not going to FF or FG, both of those parties found it very difficult to get a majority. It was the exception rather than the rule, require coalitions, or single vote majorities from gene pool or renegade independents. The jump from 30somthing to even 60something is most unlikely. Let alone 70 or 80.

An FF/FG genuine coalition could be the best thing that they have been forced to do, as it is undeniable that such a partneship is the comprehensively most representation of the Irish electorate political will. SF's combination, of leftishness, 32 countyism, semtex and kalashnikov, and protest/new/sendAmessage is more likely to stay marooned below the 30% mark.

We could look back on this election in decades to come, and rather than the story seeming to have been SF, that the signature moment in it was a long long period of FF/FG powersharing - effectively what Ireland has always wanted were it not from the legacy from the generations of civil war conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I'm lagging behind on my mobile typing abilities, lol that was quick

I'm on the couch on the laptop - full keyboard to play with :)

the idea that the big parties "have to" form a govt is nonsense.

some of these parties are diametrically opposed and sometimes you need to focus on coherency and not trying to cover all the votes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

UCD seat prediction (very very early) is interesting though (may have got one or two of the smallefr figures wrong)

FF 39-46
    FG 35-40
    SF 36-40
    G 9-14
    L 4-7
    SD 2-6
    SPBP 2-3

Alison O Connor completely correct - FF FG even on the election program are completely in denial

Advertisement