Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭Big Ears

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I honestly can't understand the "shock" at how well SF have done.

They have people who failed to get more than a few hundred votes at the local elections, now getting comfortably elected to the Dail.

They were slaughtered in the Local/European elections which weren't that long ago. It's why Sinn Fein haven't ran that many candidates in this election (obviously a mistake in hindsight).

Sinn Fein themselves will be shocked at the extent of their support, so it's only natural many others will aswell.
    There was a lot of money to be earned at the bookies if you predicted this !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'd say wait for the transfers. SF are exceeding the quota in lots of constituencies and I think them extras will likely transfer to the Greens.

No evidence of that on the SF surpluses to date. In fact the Greens are picking up very few of the SF surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Absolutely. Majority is out of equation. But comfortably largest party. Ffg is absolutely unacceptable given the outcome and landslide sf vote when they only ran one candidate in every constituency?

If FF and FG get more seats than SF then I don't think its unacceptable whatsoever they go back into power with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

easypazz wrote: »
    Is it normal for people to be unable to get elected in a local election then to top the poll in a national election shortly after?
    No, the locals can give an indication of support. Both FF & FG are not far off their local support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

easypazz wrote: »
    Is it normal for people to be unable to get elected in a local election then to top the poll in a national election shortly after?
    The writing was on the wall for over a month now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

No point except for the cheaper fuel bills and cleaner air of course

It's a pity McHugh didn't get elected. She is more valuable to the Green party then Ryan I think

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I honestly can't understand the "shock" at how well SF have done.

Well it is a bit of a surprise given the last local elections and European elections weren't great for SF and the fact they only ran one candidate in most constituencies would point to the fact that SF weren't overly confident. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I could see they'd do well(maybe not as well as it appears they will do)but the most shocking thing to me is the enormous surpluses they are getting. The quotas in some constituencies are dots to the SF Vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,137 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I’m wondering did that remark by Eamon Ryan a while back that people in rural areas could share transport as a solution to cut emissions cause a backlash? I know it went down v badly at home (Mayo). Greens remaining a party of the idealistic city dwellers for now it seems.

I think most of the negative reaction was due to the misrepresentation of the proposal by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No evidence of that on the SF surpluses to date. In fact the Greens are picking up very few of the SF surplus.
    I would think PBP would be most popular transfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

threeball wrote: »
    I doubt they will ever have a day like this again. Reality will set in fairly quickly over the next few weeks. The reason they have got so many over the line so early is that they only have one candidate per constituency. Spit that vote and it opens a different can of worms that doesn't work out so well.
    Opportunities, opportunities.
    It is now up to them to steer carefully and it will be a big job to keep this new support the same as any other party gaining huge new support.

They've taken from every party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They managed to drag back Daly from Eurpoe to give us her 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's a pity McHugh didn't get elected. She is more valuable to the Green party then Ryan I think

Have you seen her comments and journal column, has more in common with PbP or stalin than the people of mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Clearly not if she's unelectable.

jos28 wrote: »
    Jim O'Callaghan just gone up in my estimation
    How so?
    The SF thing?
    Fair play to him it would be ridiculous if they change their stance so quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Looks like FG are quite happy to be in opposition, i. e. It's a mess now you try.

Touch of that alright. But like David Cameron who after going back into No10 after making his resignation speach, was heard saying to himself - they ****ing voted for it, they can ****ing sort it out.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Even Gino in Dub MW did miserably from SF transfers so far.

gmisk wrote: »
    Lucinda Creighton...blast from the past! Wasn't she big pals with Leo at one stage?

Bit of an error did Lucinda make when she went off and joined the political wing of the Catholic Church. Honestly thought Renua had already disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Listen to these ffg idiots. What Change will they deliver ? Change the stationery supplier to the dail? I want these lying , incompetent fools out !sts talk about solving problems for years ! But we won’t dare change anything and upset the Apple carts! Frauds up there with Maria bailey !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Big Ears wrote: »
    They have people who failed to get more than a few hundred votes at the local elections, now getting comfortably elected to the Dail.

They were slaughtered in the Local/European elections which weren't that long ago. It's why Sinn Fein haven't ran that many candidates in this election (obviously a mistake in hindsight).

Sinn Fein themselves will be shocked at the extent of their support, so it's only natural many others will aswell.
    There was a lot of money to be earned at the bookies if you predicted this !
    I agree with this but FFG promising the world for this election, and had all the opportunity to deliver same in the past few years.
    FG - homeless etc. and recent RIC and swingate
    FF - destroyed the country

At this stage I'm thinking all the parties are so out of touch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

threeball wrote: »
    I doubt they will ever have a day like this again. Reality will set in fairly quickly over the next few weeks. The reason they have got so many over the line so early is that they only have one candidate per constituency. Spit that vote and it opens a different can of worms that doesn't work out so well.

Fionnan Sheahan said earlier that SF left about 6 seats behind them because they did not field 2 candidates in some constituencies.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, the locals can give an indication of support. Both FF & FG are not far off their local support.
    Yeah, wasn't SF down to 9.8% at the locals, now about 23.7%

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rjd2 wrote: »
    If FF and FG get more seats than SF then I don't think its unacceptable whatsoever they go back into power with each other.

Excuse my ignorance but can they do that without SF being involved?Just by majority?it looks like a fine enough line at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I think Irish Voters are sharp enough.

Not much point me switching to an EV if a small chinese factorys emissions in one day are the eqiluivalent to one year in Ireland.

Well I was thinking more along the line of political ideology. SF is center left, so are the greens. If you have a second preference it would make sense to select them or labour or some independents.

I think people would also like to see green policies simply to be proud of the country. It's shameful to be exceeding your emissions targets especially when its going to impact low lying / poor countries first.

Also if we have our house in order, its far easier to point the finger at the USA (which is a real problem) China actually has made good green progress and China have the will and desire to go clean. Especially since cities like beijing have such smog issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

jos28 wrote: »
    Jim O'Callaghan just gone up in my estimation

Can you tell me more? I don't do TV and just switched off the radio coverage for a wee breakeen from it all.

Bit of an error did Lucinda make when she went off and joined the political wing of the Catholic Church. Honestly thought Renua had already disappeared.
    She left them a while back as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can anyone tell me the last TD who was in government who was popular and wasn't hated by the public?

Is it a thankless job and poisoned chalice?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Its the only option for safe government yet almost completely ensures destruction for one of them next time round, so we get a second election or SF now or SF later...

I know a lot of politics is strategy and takimgbthe long term view for selfish gain. But this country cannot afford ffg again. I hope sf step up to the plate !

Can you tell me more? I don't do TV and just switched off the radio coverage for a wee breakeen from it all.
    He said it would be ridiculous if they went in with SF after saying the whole time they wouldnt.
    That I agree on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Did anyone mention Leo didnt get in after the second count

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ross gone :):)

Advertisement