Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

It’s very bad news for FF. SF Likely to get at least 35 on those figures . FF won’t get near 50 maybe 45/46 . FG will get 44/45 . Given the SF surplus’s this likely to help the other left parties .

Tbh I don’t really know where this leaves us . Not a great result when we need a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Fianna Fail missed a trick by not positioning themselves to the left of centre. Sinn Fein have filled that void and are now the party of the left. Labour are no longer a player and the far left support has plateaued.

I'm surprised that Sinn Fein have done so well with youth voters. Yes, it was expected to gain support from that demographic, but nobody thought to that extent. Is it a protest vote or do young people genuinely believe that Sinn Fiein can do something for them?

Like I said earlier, more trip ups by a another FF-FG agreement might just push Sinn Fein over the line, next time round.

No single party government since the Jack Lynch landslide. Whatever line you think they are going over, it will be in the company of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

GusGus wrote: »
    It’s very bad news for FF. SF Likely to get at least 35 on those figures . FF won’t get near 50 maybe 45/46 . FG will get 44/45 . Given the SF surplus’s this likely to help the other left parties .

Tbh I don’t really know where this leaves us . Not a great result when we need a government.
    Yep sounds right.
    Another election later in year I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Fianna Fail missed a trick by not positioning themselves to the left of centre. Sinn Fein have filled that void and are now the party of the left. Labour are no longer a player and the far left support has plateaued.

I'm surprised that Sinn Fein have done so well with youth voters. Yes, it was expected to gain support from that demographic, but nobody thought to that extent. Is it a protest vote or do young people genuinely believe that Sinn Fiein can do something for them?

Like I said earlier, more trip ups by a another FF-FG agreement might just push Sinn Fein over the line, next time round.

Michael Martin is far and away the most left wing leader FF have ever had, both economically and socially

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Keep ff out they ruined the country and thousands had to leave over them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

ismat wrote: »
    The country has a serious problem if 22% are voting for Sinn Fein. A sad day

Wise up it’s the other 78% that should that need to take a long hard look at where they are going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Oh God some people are slow.
    I've seen comments online and people actually think this is the result of the election.(I think these are first time voters of all ages).

The 18-24 year old students who wont have to pay for SF policies no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I've seen comments online and people actually think this is the result of the election.(I think these are first time voters of all ages).

Most of then SF voters most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭griffin100

Shakin in your right wing boots. Love it.

You do realise you live in one of the most left wing countries in the world? Over 25% of all tax take / >€20bn a year spent on the welfare budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

bilbot79 wrote: »
    FF and FG should just amalgamate instead of pretending they're a different party. Picking one over the over is the political version of football fandom

maybe they should show a bit of maturity and form a coalition if they really believe that SF will be a disaster for the Country.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Decades of failed policies from FF AND FG

The country has been through a tough time over the last 10 to 15 years. I think a lot of people had the feeling really do we really want to just swap FG for FF or vise versa yet again. Maybe its time to inject something new into politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Sour grapes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

flexcon wrote: »
    Yikes. Let’s not turn into Britain and their way of dividing each other with garbage like that.

We all have a responsibility to ensure people do not harm themselves by being incapable of exercising their democratic franchise. A referendum would be a quick fix, not necessarily for the long term. Better education, formal courses on the reponsibility democracy comes with, etc, could also avoid this type of tragedy. Raising it to 25 would at least curtail the damage for the short term though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I had no credit on my phone today so I couldn't vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

FF\SF\GP could they get enough seatsd to make a goverment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't think the first preference is going to pan out like that across the big three

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The in-fighting in FF tonight would be good to be party too.

Phones will be glowing red as alliances form. 22% is the same as they finished in 2016. Michael has pedaled furiously to stand still.

FG have to be happy with that.

And SF can just sit back now and let it all happen. They cannot lose here.

FF and SF will transfer to each other, FG not so much, lots of FG supporter s don't even vote for the running mate so second seats could be scarce

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

STB. wrote: »

I'd say under forties but these were people who weren't into voting before. The referendum's might have got them interested.

I'm not saying nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

How so?
    I would think people in that age group on more shaky grounds when it comes to education and housing especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

GusGus wrote: »

You should be able to name the half dozen or so losers out of the 42 SF candidates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Lads on Virgin Media show on panic mode haha

I presume you mean they are panicking at SF doing so well.
    No they're not. They reacting to an amazing outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I’d hope nobody with a memory that extends to 2008 would give FF/Lab or the Greens a single vote, thick ***** if they did (there I said it)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Some younger voters in the Universities and right on Millennials want change alright, no doubt.

But more mature voters who have seen everything seem to be happy enough with a steady ship, even though it is leaking holes everywhere. We have a good economy don't we (stupid), lowest unemployment rate, and so on.

Many are happy enough with the status quo. And in saying that I do understand the gripes the younger people have regarding housing. But most of the Uni types feck off to ME and elsewhere after we have paid for their tuition and couldn't give a whatnot eventually.

It's a herd mentality. But it's working and whilst I don't agree with SF and would never give them a scratch ever, in time the old codgers will ease off their mortal coil, and there will/may eventually be a SF led Government. Hope I'm retired to an offshore island by then!

But credit where it is due just the same, SF pitched to a certain demographic who have never witnessed or heard of nor care that the Army Council, not MLMD is in charge of SF.

The I’m alright jacks. I’m not paying a fortune in rent. I got my house for a pittance. I got my mortgage during the boom,many people that wouldn’t get a mortgage now. This hypocrisy is comedy , you’d change your tune if you were paying two k a month for a one bed apartment in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

FF/FG might have to hold their noses and go into a coalition agreement maybe with rotating Taoiseach?

SF in the main opposition seats.

Otherwise it's back to the polls in the next short while.

SF in a win win situation here no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Some younger voters in the Universities and right on Millennials want change alright, no doubt.

But more mature voters who have seen everything seem to be happy enough with a steady ship, even though it is leaking holes everywhere. We have a good economy don't we (stupid), lowest unemployment rate, and so on.

Many are happy enough with the status quo. And in saying that I do understand the gripes the younger people have regarding housing. But most of the Uni types feck off to ME and elsewhere after we have paid for their tuition and couldn't give a whatnot eventually.

It's a herd mentality. But it's working and whilst I don't agree with SF and would never give them a scratch ever, in time the old codgers will ease off their mortal coil, and there will/may eventually be a SF led Government. Hope I'm retired to an offshore island by then!

But credit where it is due just the same, SF pitched to a certain demographic who have never witnessed or heard of nor care that the Army Council, not MLMD is in charge of SF.

The numbers don’t add up here.

From my
    Friends and family everyone from my
    75 year old Gran to my parents and buddies ALL voted Sinn Fein 1st preference.

Personally I did not give first preference but I gave them a second preference

In opposition with more numbers will be my preferred outcome.

However let’s not let get a Condescending wrongful arrogance get in the way. This is bigger than Universities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

That generation, and their various snowflake/'mental health' problems seem to have spilled over into putting the nation at risk now. They simply dont know what they are doing, but have grown up, have votes, and are now doing real harm. Its a very difficult situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

No single party government since the Jack Lynch landslide. Whatever line you think they are going over,
    it will be in the company of others.
    In 1977 you had three parties.
    Now you have 7 and indos

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've heard a few vox pops asking this age range as to where they get their information on politics and what makes them decide who to vote for. Pretty much all say social media. They're ripe for manipulation and misinformation. One girl, without a hint of embarrassment, when asked why when she said she'll vote for SF, said it was the result of a Facebook survey/quiz thing she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

FF numbers underestimated as people feel embarrassed about admitting it!!

And to think that RTE originally didn't think it worthy to invite Mary Lou to the leaders debate!

That certainly happened in 2011, and possibly to a lesser extent in 2016.

But I don't know how it would hold water in 2020.
    People would be more embarrassed to say they voted FG this time round.

And anyway the exit poll involves filling out a mock ballot paper with your 1st and 2nd preference and a few other questions, you then fold it a ND put it Inna bag.

You don't tell anyone anything about how you voted, unlike a phone poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Greens would have to be well muzzled, their policies watered down to nothing,any silly sh1t like last time couldn't be tolerated

Advertisement