Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

jos28 wrote: »
    My understanding is that ALL ballot papers are examined again.

For example:

Candidate A receives 6000 first preference votes at the first count. The quota is 5000. A is elected with a surplus of 1000 votes.

Out of A’s 6000 total votes, 30% gave their second preference to B, and 20% gave their second preference to C.

B receives 300 votes (30% of 1000) and C receives 200 votes (20% of 1000) etc

The would take a month to count.

The random element may occur as a consequence of surplus distribution. If the
    surplus votes of an elected candidate are fewer than the number of transferable votes in the parcel being
    examined, Irish electoral law provides, in effect, for a random selection of papers to pass to continuing
    candidates. Further preferences on these papers may affect the final outcome of the election

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/handle/2262/68751/v16n11984_1.pdf%3Fsequence%3D1%26isAllowed%3Dy&ved=2ahUKEwiL5-bGtsXnAhVgRBUIHTTICKwQFjATegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3IBl5ZRhCblSotQp0ATwQ_&cshid=1581284240821

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think O'Cuiv is in a humdinger fight for a seat with the SF candidate.

O'Cuiv will be grand though, the only a question is if he gets elected first or second. He has a political monopoly on the Aran islands and in Connemara because he secured them subsidies for living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blackcard wrote: »
    What are the latest projections of seats for each party? I am hoping that SF gets more seats than FG and go into government with FF. See what they can do.
    Paddy Power might be a good place to look. Nobody else is risking a guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

limnam wrote: »
    joan burton gone
    In fairness she has done good work for her constituency for years but she was really up against it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Five more years of FFG would mean they REALLY have to do what the electorate want. Deliver change and quickly. Their strategists know this now.

But to be fair, I am a worry wart, and do not want instability or any danger to the economy right now. We are doing alright with a steady ship, albeit with many holes in the bow.

But then again recession beckons, the cycle of boom is nearing completion. So let's see who gets to clean up the next mess.

We aren't doing alright.

If this housing problem continues for another year or two it will kill growth.

Multinationals are no longer concerned about tax issues it's no where to put their staff. People won't come because they can't get homes.

This isn't rocket science...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Shane ‘No bailout for the FAI’ Ross, who gave them a €20m bailout?

Good riddance.

It was a financial instrument, not a bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭limnam

When a politician does not get elected who was elected last time, what do they do with themselves or work at etc?

go back to teaching usually. or running the pub or landlording

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

When a politician does not get elected who was elected last time, what do they do with themselves or work at etc?
    A lot have other jobs/businesses
    They get a parachute payment to help them with the shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

SF electoral strategists fielding so few candidates must be terrified of Gerry and the Army Council right now. I'd say they've gone to Oz.

Gerry and the army council are the electoral strategists :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Five more years of FFG would mean they REALLY have to do what the electorate want. Deliver change and quickly. Their strategists know this now.

But to be fair, I am a worry wart, and do not want instability or any danger to the economy right now. We are doing alright with a steady ship, albeit with many holes in the bow.

But then again recession beckons, the cycle of boom is nearing completion. So let's see who gets to clean up the next mess.

They had an enormous kick up the backside thanks to SF voters, but I believe SF in government would be disastrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I assume they get a seat in the Senate like Mulherin did

It was a financial instrument, not a bailout.

A zero interest loans which they couldn't survive without is basically the dictionary definition of a bail out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭blackcard

Serious question do you work for a living and have any ambition to better your lot.

Yes. I work and am happy with my lot. How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's really not. Look at the votes of his running mate, she'll take him home comfortably.

:( I was thinking the transfers might work against him since SF has such a high quota but then I noticed its 5 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Be interesting to see when all these students do qualify into good jobs how they will feel being taxed to the hilt with SF.

Dole.

Is that what they are calling the Seanad now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

:( I was thinking the transfers might work against him since SF has such a high quota but then I noticed its 5 seats.
    Exactly, he'll be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

A zero interest loans which they couldn't survive without is basically the dictionary definition of a bail out
    Should have been dismantled and recreated from scratch, that's OUR money

Be interesting to see when all these students do qualify into good jobs how they will feel being taxed to the hilt with SF.

Are you claiming 25 % of the people in this country are students?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

For most of them basically the same as they have been doing for the last 4 years.
    Absolutely nothing:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

jos28 wrote: »
    Each of those 2000 surplus papers are distributed to the second preference on each paper.

But how do they decide which 2000 votes they use if they got 10000 in first count thereby elected and the said 2000 to be distributed!
    For example say 8000 was the quota and 6000 of them had a second preference ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

UCD seat projection
    FF 45
    SF 37
    FG 36
    L 6
    SPBP 5
    G 10
    SD 5
    Ind 16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

latest UCD prediction

FF 45
    FG 36
    SF 37

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

blackcard wrote: »
    Yes. I work and am happy with my lot. How about you?

I want more money in my pocket. It's why I didn't vote Sinn Fein and don't want them in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Michael Martin 1/5 to be back as Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    i'm not advocating for it but it is the natural coalition and they will get the largest bloc of seats.
    And I'd question that the entirety of their voters didn't take it into account and would be ok with it bar a few fanatics.

It would be advantageous for SF if this happens but not for the public unless they both have learned their lesson on housing and the cost of living

SF have a mandate to govern - while I’m sure they’d just love to play out yet another round of hurling on the ditch, they’re potentially the lead party and given a big mandate to implement that manifesto they’re elected to deliver.
    While I’m sure they love another election after opposing everything and everyone else the time has now come to govern. It’s supposed to be about the people and not how the SF can grow further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They had an enormous kick up the backside thanks to SF voters, but I believe SF in government would be disastrous.

It’s looking quite that they will be in some capacity so it’s probably time to discuss why they would be ‘disastrous’ maybe with some context given versus FF/FG.

I will honestly tip my hat to you if you can come up with anything other than IRA terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Christy42

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    I know it will even out later, but it's currently
    Fg-2
    Ff-2
    Sf-27

To be fair a lot of that is SF misjudging the election badly.

They are overblowing quotas like mad in areas that FG or ff will get two in.

Still a big election for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

You're aware that SF polled highest in every age group bar 65+? They were all students were they?

Advertisement