Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

RMAOK wrote: »
    Still can't see that happening - Confidence and supply in reverse. Doubt Leo will step down from taoiseach to tanaiste just to stop Sinn féin getting into government.

A S&C doesn't work. Everyone else will have between 75-79 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Looks like FG and SF are going to begin talks to see about a compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

threeball wrote: »
    Greens should stay out. The next election could be a big one for them. 5 more years of next to no climate measures and possibly as SF vote imploding.

Yes, thats worth considering.

Lab are the ones who should go for it. One last do or die mission to try to save the party from extinction. They have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

jasus SF have lost so many seats. exceeding the quota everywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    i never said anything different.
    24.7% of voters want SF in govt, that is a fact.
    Finding partners is the rather difficult part when the other main players are flat out refusing to supply the numbers.

My views on what's good or bad for SF the party was an addendum, my own thoughts.

That isn’t FG problem to solve. When you’re rejected at the ballot box you accept that and those with the mandate govern. FF and SF are the natural bedfellows here. Both advocating “change” and both core republican parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Be interesting to see when all these students do qualify into good jobs how they will feel being taxed to the hilt with SF.

A lot of those students would have been put through college by the taxpayer and would only be too happy to pay their part for the next generation or to actually get on the housing ladder before their 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

SF+L+SPBP+G+SD+Ind

1 seat short of a government.
    They would struggle to get the parties never mind getting all those independents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

SF+L+SPBP+G+SD+Ind

1 seat short of a government.

FF+SF Majority
    FF + FG majority
    Fg + SF minority

no other two party coalition will work by the looks of it
    I don't even think conf and supply of a FF+smaller parteis or Fg+smaller parties could work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

almostover wrote: »
    Well the sight of a convicted bomb-maker who was linked to making bombs that killed innocent men, women and children in the mainland UK signing rebels songs at an election centre today seems to be the start of the disaster.

The first thoughts I had when I saw that appalling carry on today was for the families of children like Tim Parry and Jonathon Ball. How is election of a convicted bomber being perceived abroad. What does it say about us as a nation :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Which basically says FF+FG+a little un. Greens preferably.

This would probably suit SF in the long run, they will be able to continue there protest surge on opposition benches and claim FF and FG have shut them out against the democratic wishes of the people of Ireland.

If they go into coalition with FF now as the junior party it could go very bad for them as has been the case for many junior FF coalition partners in the past.

The best outcome for SF now is a rerun of the election where they can field more candidate's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I agree that the mandate is for SF to fulfil their promises and hopefully do it wisely with taxpayer's money too.

Good luck to them and those who voted for them. It was truly a great electoral achievement even though I would never give them a scratch even if they had an itch the size of Rockall.

The interesting thing going forward is how they use that mandate. Will they (if invited) go into coalition with FF and become SFF, they are natural partners really, or will they continue to sit on the sidelines bitching and moaning etc.

It is truly very interesting times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

gmisk wrote: »
    They would struggle to get the parties never mind getting all those independents

ah I know but could you imagine a government without FFG, unreal.

FF+SF Majority
    FF + FG majority

I don't even think conf and supply of a FF+smaller parteis or Fg+smaller parties could work
    You're only talking 2 or 3 seat majority . Unless they get 10 indies too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Be interesting to see when all these students do qualify into good jobs how they will feel being taxed to the hilt with SF.

If you think it was students behind the SF surge you're very much wrong. Someone who was 18 in 2008 saw their friends emigrate because FF caused the crash. Now in 2020 they are 30 and they are working in good jobs but cannot afford a house because of high rents and FG making a mess of housing. So working people with good jobs have moved to SF having been let down badly by the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

If the students had real brains they would see that , but in there cotton bud , I phone little world everything should walk into them !

Be honest, how many minutes a day do you waste waffling about "the snowflake generation" to bored family and colleagues? Such tripe.

FF+SF Majority
    FF + FG majority

Indeed. Its only a question of the choreography now to see how FF and FG arrange things.
    I think it is good for the country.

You're only talking 5 or 6 seat majority . Unless they get 10 indies too
    That's a clear majority though
    Adding another party would complicate things;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

All elected TD have a mandate to govern. Thats what their constituencies decided. After that, it which political grouping can agree and form a government. You cant exclude them or read into the result a conclusion that isnt there just becuase you would not like them to be involved.

I never thought of it like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

jasus SF have lost so many seats. exceeding the quota everywhere....

The mary cash crowd made sure they got up to vote !
    The irony of it all the money fg gave this crowd with last few years only for them to give them the two fingers!
    They might think twice the next time they favor them over the working person!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Is Mary O'Rourke drunk or just being a dick shouting out all the time during virgin media one coverage

• Advertisement

This would probably suit SF in the long run, they will be able to continue there protest surge on opposition benches and claim FF and FG have shut them out against the democratic wishes of the people of Ireland.
    Not that anybody would believe that claim.
    The best outcome for SF now is a rerun of the election where they can field more candidate's.
    They have no way of forcing that.

The scene is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Cavan-Monaghan would want to get a move on

That's a clear majority though
    Adding another party would complicate things;)

A 6 vote majority isn't a clear majority. It's a recipe for the government collapsing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Wrong. This particular issue is to do with legislation and dcc who have done nothing but hold this City back , cost billions in investment and we can throw them top of the heap for responsibility for this housing crisis ! Abp are approving way higher residential buildings , beside Ronan’s sales force development , for to eoghan murphys guidelines. So higher is his fine of residential , not commercial. Lol! Irish planning

DCC is controlled by Sinn Fein councillors. You're not making any sense.

I agree that the mandate is for SF to fulfil their promises and hopefully do it wisely with taxpayer's money too.

Agree with what ? Who says there is a mandate for SF ? They grew. Well done. But no more nor less a mandate than anyone else elected.

The mary cash crowd made sure they got up to vote !
    The irony of it all the money fg gave this crowd with last few years only for them to give them the two fingers!
    They might think twice the next time they favor them over the working person!
    Well the turnout is lower than 2016 so going by that a haep of Mary CAsh's replaced the good upstanding always voting citizen.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Is Mary O'Rourke drunk or just being a dick shouting out all the time during virgin media one coverage
    She's always had a loud enough voice but bear in mind that Mammy O'Rourke is now 82!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,849 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ShaneU wrote: »
    Michael Martin 1/5 to be back as Taoiseach

He was never in

• Registered Users Posts: 69,236 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh to be a fly on the wall here:

EQXQJGNXsAEDhD3?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Both

Advertisement