Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE Exit Poll 10 pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,243 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is that Michael martins wife ?

I don't know. It all looks a bit fraught.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Is it possible that a second election could be needed and if so, could SF run more candidates?

I'd imagine you'd have a higher turn out in a second election after this shock.
    Parties can run as many candidates as they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

100,000 social houses - uncosted
    electric car charging public infrastructure - uncosted
    keeping the retirement age at 65 - uncosted
    reducing the tax burden on low earners with regard usc - uncosted.

Bitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

So a pork barrel government. Great!
    Jaysus, welcome to Ireland.
    Any govt would look for support elsewhere if they found themselves in that position

if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

100,000 social houses - uncosted
    electric car charging public infrastructure - uncosted
    keeping the retirement age at 65 - uncosted
    reducing the tax burden on low earners with regard usc - uncosted.

Wasn't their entire budget costed by the department of finance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It’s looking quite that they will be in some capacity so it’s probably time to discuss why they would be ‘disastrous’ maybe with some context given versus FF/FG.

I will honestly tip my hat to you if you can come up with anything other than IRA terrorism.

The have very weak economic policies, they have some great ideas; but no way of funding them.

For example:
    Ending the Government appeal against the EU Commission finding that Apple owes the Irish people €14.3 billion. To date Fine Gael have cost the Irish taxpayer more than €7 million in legal fees. We will end this appeal and use the available resources that could arise to tackle climate change, transform our public services and upgrade our infrastructure for the betterment of our citizens

They still believe that Apple owe Ireland €14bn in taxes, this is incorrect. Apple may well owe €14bn, but this is the total amount that might be owed to all EU states. Ireland would receive a tiny fraction of that amount.

This would lead me to believe that either SF don’t know what they’re talking about, or are being untruthful to the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Emmet "parks and wildlife" Stagg has been eliminated.

There’s a good few tents in there now which can make things a bit more private and intimate for his hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,057 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What's going on in Cavan-Monaghan? 13 hours in and not even a first count yet!

Was that a dinner dance there last night ?

Defectors in SF would be treated like ISIS treats an Apostate so you don't need to worry about that side of the coalition falling out of line.

Have you heard of Aontú?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The have very weak economic policies, they have some great ideas; but no way of funding them.

For example:

They still believe that Apple owe Ireland €14bn in taxes, this is incorrect. Apple may well owe €14bn, but this is the total amount that might be owed to all EU states. Ireland would receive a tiny fraction of that amount.

This would lead me to believe that either SF don’t know what they’re talking about, or are being untruthful to the electorate.

i thin the figure of something like 2.1 billion comes back to us if we take the 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is_that_so wrote: »
    The two biggest ones - USC abolition €1.2bn, LPT abolition €450m and that's tax revenue foregone.

I'd be all for that but they intend to take it off the people paying the most of both. It's a Robinhood fiscal plan.

Have you heard of Aontú?

I have. Have you seen "The walking dead".

Well they claim the estimates they proposed were. Their spending IIRC is a proposed €18bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

i thin the figure of something like 2.1 billion comes back to us if we take the 14.

Almost the price of 1 FG hospital.
    And people scoff at SF economics.
    Lol.

I'd be all for that but they intend to take it off the people paying the most of both. It's a Robinhood fiscal plan.
    It's also largely predicated on CT from the big MNCs holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That a joke?

Saying there is no pension time bomb and "demographics" will sort it, is beyond naïve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

For example:

And afraid it’s the part they don’t know what there talking about!
    Mary Lou like a rabbit in headlights when comes to figures!
    Face it Sinn Fein are a real shane Ross at the end of the day !
    So let them govern we’ll see what there made off ! And really hope I’m wrong but I very doubt I am !

I have. Have you seen "The walking dead".

So not only would defectors not be treated like 'Apostate' in fact if you look at the history of SF it seems likely defectors should be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 24,405 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shane Ross eliminated. That's made election 2020 almost entirely worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

lawred2 wrote: »
    Plus Regina.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    That a joke?

Saying there is no pension time bomb and "demographics" will sort it, is beyond naïve.

So it's not uncosted, you disagree with the credibility of their coatings. Which are two different issues

Which will probably end up with the IRS anyway. We'll get next to nothing of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

More than eliminated. Totally humiliated. Utter gob****e of a man.

Not anymore. It's FF - SocDems - Green

Fair enough but they were there for most of the housing crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Plus Sinn Fein in 5 years time , and will hardly take 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

STB. wrote: »
    FF and FG gave commitments to their voters not to have anything to do with SF.

Yup, they sure did, and spent the entire election campaign, campaigning against Sinn Fein and arguing over who definitely wasn't going into power with them the most, egged on with an only too eager press and media outlets who ran anti shinner propaganda Goebbels himself would have been proud with.

Sinn Fein meanwhile based their campaign on highlighting the shortfalls we have in both a housing crisis, rental crisis, and the state of the health system.

I predicted all this over two weeks ago when I said they're in danger of SF coming up the centre lane and stealing both of their thunder.

Today's results will take the smugness out of both of the FFG party's, every attack and oath they made to lock them out was met with an increase in the opinion polls for the shinner party.

Today has been a good day for Ireland, the electorate have finally discarded the shackles and stranglehold they (FF and FG) had on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't want to see USC abolished EVER. It is the only tax that is unavoidable by those who can use the big 4 to reduce tax in other ways, legitimately of course.

Fine to reduce it for lower paid though, but please do not eliminate it. That would be awful.

Would any Government have the cojones to introduce a council tax like in most other EU countries? Paid by occupiers of a property be that owner or renter?

Council Tax in the UK and France for example (and I am sure many other EU countries also) applies to everyone whether owner or renter.

Bit too much too soon for Ireland I suppose.

So it's not uncosted, you disagree with the credibility of their coatings. Which are two different issues

What do you think costed by the dept. of finance means?

Have you read the manifesto or watched the last debate? How can "massive investment" be quantified in any way?

So not only would defectors not be treated like 'Apostate' in fact if you look at the history of SF it seems likely defectors should be expected
    Now seriously...rather than trying to undermine what was a semi-facetious point by me do you think the powers that be behind the party would allow a Dail member of the Party bring down a Government of which they are part. Do you honestly believe that.
    I've already pointed out a number of pages back that a de-selected member of SF is very close to being elected in Laois-Offaly. Once someone stands with the support of SF there will be very high expectations of their unlimited support until such time as they are allowed to step back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I don't want to see USC abolished EVER. It is the only tax that is unavoidable by those who can use the big 4 to reduce tax in other ways, legitimately of course.

Fine to reduce it for lower paid though, but please do not eliminate it. That would be awful.

Would any Government have the cojones to introduce a council tax like in most other EU countries? Paid by occupiers of a property be that owner or renter?

Council Tax in the UK and France for example (and I am sure many other EU countries also) applies to everyone whether owner or renter.

Bit too much too soon for Ireland I suppose.

Our property tax is the equivalent of the council tax, if I’m not mistaken.

Advertisement