Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House plant started blooming sweet smelling flower

Options
  • 08-02-2020 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

We have this house plant about 8 years. It’s been growing steadily and slowly but the previous two years it has started to sprout this flower around February/March with a lovely scent that you can small all around the house. This however it’s started to bloom even earlier, this came out within the last two weeks but no scent. https://imgur.com/a/qgtuLs4

Does anyone know what’s going on or what type of plant this is?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That looks one of the varieties of yuccadracaena (probably dracaena fragrans). No idea re: the scent or the earlier flowering - perhaps it needs a certain temperature for it to develop a scent, and this winter has been too mild for it, but it's pure speculation on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

New Home wrote: »
    That looks one of the varieties of yuccadracaena (probably dracaena fragrans). No idea re: the scent or the earlier flowering - perhaps it needs a certain temperature for it to develop a scent, and this winter has been too mild for it, but it's pure speculation on my part.

You’re right, I just searched it and it’s Dracaena Fragans or “trunk if Brazil”. Amazing how we’ve had it so long and then it started to flower with scent. It’s also really sticky to touch.

Advertisement