Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden ponds in Dublin

Options
  • 09-02-2020 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there! I and my husband are planning to build a house in the Dublin suburbs. I was wondering about the temperature in Dublin, and whether it is possible to build a koi pond in the backyard. I found a website of one Dublin company, but there's no information at all there. I need to know if there's possible to buy filters and all necessary equipment. Please, if there's anyone who's somehow related to this business leave a reply in this thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

You should be OK. We got indoor toilets last year, and the electric is nearly everywhere now.

If your building a koi pond and want to keep healthy fish you will need a big pond and lots of filtration.

I'm planning my 3rd pond .
    Filters,pipes and pumps are going to be 2.5k.
    Add another grand for the liner.its 20,000L.

Check out causeway koi in Belfast.
    koiforum.co.uk for ideas.
    Rockworld in Kildare also sell gear.

I'd recommend a performed pond to start and normal goldfish .

If you need any advice hit me up.
    I've made all the mistakes before !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

If your building a koi pond and want to keep healthy fish you will need a big pond and lots of filtration.

I'd steer you away from a pre-formed pond and recommend a butyl liner. Make it good and deep to protect fish from the ice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

preformed ponds sound like a right PITA to dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

blackbox wrote: »
    I'd steer you away from a pre-formed pond and recommend a butyl liner. Make it good and deep to protect fish from the ice.

Any reason particularly? If for example you were given one free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

with a butyl (or PVC) liner, the liner will match the hole you dig.
    with a preformed pond, you've to dig a hole to match the liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

with a butyl (or PVC) liner, the liner will match the hole you dig.
    with a preformed pond, you've to dig a hole to match the liner.

Ya I get that part but that's no big deal .

Any other reasons ?

listermint wrote: »
    Any reason particularly? If for example you were given one free.

I was given one for free when I first started out.
    I made a thread about it here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95201149

The liner was much more work to install as you have to do concrete/stone edging.
    But it is a better job not doubt.

Thankfully my plans to move to a house with a bigger garden come true and new pond is on track for this year.
    They say you will rebuild your pond 3 times on average,each time going bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've rebuilt once . yep made it bigger. But no way I'm doing it again. Decided to build another one instead :) wildlife pond this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've rebuilt once . yep made it bigger. But no way I'm doing it again. Decided to build another one instead :) wildlife pond this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've recently moved house and haven't yet started on a pond. Other priorities eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PinkSunset

Sorry, had so many things to do, forgot completely this thread. glad I found here someone experienced. I'll send you a PM in two days, I guess, if that's okay

Advertisement