Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will possibly be next housing minister ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

People think it’s as simplistic as just changing the current ministers with” good “ones to get things moving here? Lol! We could have sorted out every issue in this country decades ago , if someone had only come up with that brainwave. Eighth Murphy wasn’t given dictatorial powers! He’s in fg who support rip off housing. Supply is ramping up hugely now. The one thing though that wasnt ramping up , is affordability for the working masses! Believe me , this wasn’t about ten thousand homelessness in Dublin , it was about hundreds of thousands in this city being held hostage by outrageous property prices !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Idbatterim wrote: »
    People think it’s as simplistic as just changing the current ministers with” good “ones to get things moving here? Lol! We could have sorted out every issue in this country decades ago , if someone had only come up with that brainwave. Eighth Murphy wasn’t given dictatorial powers! He’s in fg who support rip off housing. Supply is ramping up hugely now. The one thing though that wasnt ramping up , is affordability for the working masses! Believe me , this wasn’t about ten thousand homelessness in Dublin , it was about hundreds of thousands in this city being held hostage by outrageous property prices !
    Supply is and will be held at a level to ensure prices remain extortionate. Developers aren't stupid. Of the new builds completed, I'd love to know the actual amount that went to cuckoo funds particularly in city centre areas? The whole system needs to be refocused. Build affordable houses/apartments on council land and stop with all the commercial glass blocks in the city centre where everyone has to commute
    in from the arse end of nowhere

Supply is and will be held at a level to ensure prices remain extortionate. Developers aren't stupid. Of the new builds completed, I'd love to know the actual amount that went to cuckoo funds particularly in city centre areas? The whole system needs to be refocused. Build affordable houses/apartments on council land and stop with all the commercial glass blocks in the city centre where everyone has to commute

You just put a proper site Levy in place , which is what any decently run country would do. Demand is so colossal though , that even with a lot more supply , prices will likely remain very high ... the commercial , mich of it nineties crap in the docklands can be redeveloped. Moving the port , as has been done on other cities, would release billions of euro for the government, you could house hundreds of thousands there! This has been suggested for Dublin before and I heard it suggested again recently ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

No matter who is minister, planning laws, labour shortages and inept country councils will still be here, just look at how the Rapid Build program has progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I was trying to find this info out and it’s very hard to find how many family/ private buyers bought compared to cuckoo funds. I know of an estate in Maynooth that has a second phase completely snapped up by one investor and there is big need for families to buy houses, families to rent, students etc in that area

• Advertisement

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I was trying to find this info out and it’s very hard to find how many family/ private buyers bought compared to cuckoo funds. I know of an estate in Maynooth that has a second phase completely snapped up by one investor and there is big need for families to buy houses, families to rent, students etc in that area

I know of lots of developments where this has happened but would love to see the figured. Generally apartments but most recent was Mullen park in maynooth which is houses. Probably the same one your talking about. It's definitely more than fine Gael will lead you to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Indeed but a privately educated recipient of all things privilege is going to be less clued in that most.

Clued into what, macro economics for example. Do you really think the fact that he went to a private school would have such an impact on the housing supply, labour market, cost of land, property taxes etc etc etc.
    Sounds like you just have a personal dislike for the man because of his social class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Indeed but a privately educated recipient of all things privilege is going to be less clued in that most.

The inverted snobbery in this post is staggering, and amusing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Lol Eoin O Brion is a blackrock college boy!!

The dearest private school in the country!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Lol Eoin O Brion is a blackrock college boy!!

The dearest private school in the country!!

On that basis, clearly not qualified for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A change of ideology might make a difference to begin with, after that there is new perceptive.

It won't make a fucking iota of difference. We don't have the construction workers to build these houses.

Not in the time frame demanded at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

As long as old ones and auld lads are living to ripe old ages and living at home then the 2nd housing stock won’t be adequate to meet demand. New houses will be built in commuter towns around cities, putting tremendous pressure on infrastructure. You can’t build infrastructure if you continue to divert money to social welfare. Unless you borrow. Which is already unsustainable.

It’s a hugely complex issue and there are no easy fixes. O’Broin will soon find out that ideology rarely translates to policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

O’Broin

As long as old ones and auld lads are living to ripe old ages and living at home then the 2nd housing stock won’t be adequate to meet demand. New houses will be built in commuter towns around cities, putting tremendous pressure on infrastructure. You can’t build infrastructure if you continue to divert money to social welfare. Unless you borrow. Which is already unsustainable.

It’s a hugely complex issue and there are no easy fixes. O’Broin will soon find out that ideology rarely translates to policy.

Build far more in established urban areas. Dublin can Also go high rise I areas , like the rest of Europe did decades ago !

Give incentives for elderly to downsize. You want to provide mountains of housing in no time ? Allow log cabins , can be out up in days, for a pittance compared to house or apartment. Luxury compared to many block built kips people currently living in! There is serious ignorance over just how good they are. Go look at the Instagram pages of places that sell these and the end product, they are gorgeous! Well insulated. Sustainable. And many people can even do a lot of the building work themselves if in any way handy. Cuts down a huge amount on labour problem. Don’t think it would be implemented. But coujd orivide masses of housing in established areas , for a pittance. Or mobile homes or the shipping containers converted , that can be craned in.

I know of lots of developments where this has happened but would love to see the figured. Generally apartments but most recent was Mullen park in maynooth which is houses. Probably the same one your talking about. It's definitely more than fine Gael will lead you to believe

Yes, I would love to find out more about these figures. Private families can’t compete with investors of this scale. I often wonder if they have to pay rental income tax or are they taxed at different rates

It won't make a fucking iota of difference. We don't have the construction workers to build these houses.

We don’t have anywhere for them to live either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Why should the elderly downsize, sell your house, get money then pay solicitors and a stamp duty on it

How did Eoghan Murphy manage to get a seat in his area? Can someone explain why people would have voted for him to keep a seat?

Will he be opposition and if so that will be a tough job getting torn to shreds for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

How did Eoghan Murphy manage to get a seat in his area? Can someone explain why people would have voted for him to keep a seat?

Will he be opposition and if so that will be a tough job getting torn to shreds for the next few years.

The middle class and wealthy people have benefited from the likes of him. The middle classes arent effected by the housing or rents. They dont care about how these things effect other people, they only care about themselves and their wealthy friends.. As far as theyre concerned, everything is great in this country, they cant see past the nose on their face. The poor people, the people working full time but cant pay their rent, its somehow their own fault, theyre lazy or stupid and wont either better themselves or work hard enough to live a better life.
    Privileged people live in a bubble, they cant comprehend the struggles of other people. Theyre lacking in empathy and think their better than less well off people. So the cycle continues.

• Advertisement

Only reason I can think of is that his area has many extremely well off residents that have invested in the companies he facilities to screw us who are in the market for a home.

Only reason I can think of is that his area has many extremely well off residents that have invested in the companies he facilities to screw us who are in the market for a home.

Yes, that is a good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Upper middle class and upper class area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Bingo

The middle class and wealthy people have benefited from the likes of him. The middle classes arent effected by the housing or rents. They dont care about how these things effect other people, they only care about themselves and their wealthy friends.. As far as theyre concerned, everything is great in this country, they cant see past the nose on their face. The poor people, the people working full time but cant pay their rent, its somehow their own fault, theyre lazy or stupid and wont either better themselves or work hard enough to live a better life.
    Privileged people live in a bubble, they cant comprehend the struggles of other people. Theyre lacking in empathy and think their better than less well off people. So the cycle continues.

I would have thought a lot of “middle class” are affected by this housing crisis. However, I think you’re right. In his area there may be a lot of affluent people that are in the area a long time and not paying crazy rents and competing with cuckoo investors for houses. It really depends on profile of people who live in an area and how it affects them and whether or not they are benefiting from the crisis. I know it’s not just down to Eoghan Murphy but his arrogance is outstanding. Yes, Some people aren’t capable of understanding difficulties people face if they haven’t experienced them themselves.

I don’t envy him over the next 5 years. However, he comes across as the type of person who genuinely believes him and his party did the right thing with housing so he probably won’t be phased in the slightest lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Idbatterim wrote: »
    . Dublin can Also go high rise I areas , like the rest of Europe did decades ago !

But high rise isn't good for the entitled brigade.
    €73 MILLION in local authority arrears and we're talking token rent prices i.e €14.00 a week for a fully furnished one bedroom brand new apartment in Dun Laoghaire.

I am sick to the teeth of this homeless leftist crap been shoved down our throats. There are of course genuine cases, and I am happy to work and pay tax to subsidise, but not the free loader friends of Sinn Fein, me feiners, work shy type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

There's quite a lot of the middle class who are working poor and still stuck living at home with mammy and daddy. The middle class are very affected by rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why did Murphy keep his seat? Some people understand that housing problems are not easily solved. A mass home building program as the simple solution will fail for two main reasons: one, there isn't the capacity in the sector to undertake the kind of program that would give results within a political cycle. The second reason is that such a policy has always led to failed communities. Mass building of social housing will lead to social problems in 15 to 20 years time.

No more than health, if these issues had simple effective solution they would be done. Sinn Fein won't solve these issues, certainly not with the policies they are proposing that I can guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are 31,000 people on JSA whose previous occupation is "craft and related".

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lr/liveregisterjanuary2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

When Varadker was questioned on this he give a very misleading answer of under 2%, which is statistically true, but in real terms it's closer to 40%, which he admitted, when pulled up over it , when a cuckoo fund / REIT, purchase a scheme of houses or apartments, irrespective of how many houses are in the scheme , it is recorded as 1 purchase the same as a couple buying a single house.
    Coveney wasn't invited to the Bilderberg conference for nothing.

Advertisement