Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendation on house renovations.

• 09-02-2020 10:12am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just in the final stages of a house purchase and we have a list of things that we probably need to tackle before we move in. We don’t have any family/friends who could help so we are looking for quality tradesmens and company recommendations from all you good folk.

1) Windows and front door.
    We need 7 windows and a new front door (with side glass). Any recommendations on companies to buy and fit?

2) New toilet and new heating system.
    This is probably one job. We need to gut the toilet and replace everything - tiles, shower and unit, toilet, sink, floor and wall tiles. In addition to this we need to replace the inefficient gas boiler with a combi boiler and move it downstairs. The reason they are linked is we would love a power shower instead of the electric shower so that will need the new boiler anyway.

Is there a company who could do everything at once including providing the shower/sink etc or is that a job for two different services. For example, we were in Full House and they will provide and fit everything relating to the bathroom but not the boiler etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Hi FG

Just on the windows & door front. My cousin is currently building his own house & needed windows (about 20 to22 so considerably more than your requirements)
    & front / back door. He went with Careys glass Nenagh - their rep threw in a free (decent) front door, so for that alone I'd be giving them a shout..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Get it done quickly before Sinn Fein start building the 500,000 social houses over the next 5 years or you will find it difficult to get a builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maniac2020

You could look at Munster Joinery for the windows/ door.

John Hannon - I think the name of the company is Perla Casa or something like that they are behind where Tony O'Mara cars on the Ennis Road used to be - he would do all the bathroom stuff.

You'd need a RECI certified engineer to replace the boiler - Paul Cassidy (PKC) has replaced mine and was great to deal with.

*I have no affiliation to anyone mentioned here I work in IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Munster Joinery windows and doors are poor in my experience. My house is only 12 years old and I had to replace all the original PVC double glazed windows and doors that were made by them, only last year. The gaps and seals on the windows were so poor that the inside blinds/curtains would actually shake when there was a strong wind outside even though the windows were closed. Maybe they have improved since then but I wasn't taking a chance on the same thing happening again.

• Advertisement

That doesn't sound great bazz. I got some from there for our conservatory and they are all grand.....maybe I just got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

bazz26 wrote: »
    Munster Joinery windows and doors are poor in my experience. My house is only 12 years old and I had to replace all the original PVC double glazed windows and doors that were made by them, only last year. The gaps and seals on the windows were so poor that the inside blinds/curtains would actually shake when there was a strong wind outside even though the windows were closed. Maybe they have improved since then but I wasn't taking a chance on the same thing happening again.
    Please stay away from Munster Joinery my place of work has had an absolute terrible experience with them not too mind a few staff members having their own issues!

Guess thats a no on them then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Have done a lot of these in the last few years.

1) Windows and front door.
    We need 7 windows and a new front door (with side glass). Any recommendations on companies to buy and fit?
    Went with Anthony Cosgrove in the end, doors and windows from camden group.

New toilet and new heating system.
    This is probably one job. We need to gut the toilet and replace everything - tiles, shower and unit, toilet, sink, floor and wall tiles. In addition to this we need to replace the inefficient gas boiler with a combi boiler and move it downstairs. The reason they are linked is we would love a power shower instead of the electric shower so that will need the new boiler anyway.

Also changed an old gun barrel heating system, added wireless heating controls from eph to zone house into different zones, all new pipes, rads and refurbished a couple of bathrooms at the same time. Niall Mullane did this part. We got some quotes for tiles and bathroom ware locally. For the tiles and toilets and a bath we went with the tile warehouse on the dock road and the tile shed next door. shower trays and screens, sinks taps and sink units we got them from bathshack, friends had also used victoria plum, both seemed ok. LED mirrors from Amazon shipped through parcelmotel. The plumber organised the tiler and electrician. The tiler organised the grout and adhesive and we just paid him directly.

Showers, just be careful where you get them, some are UK versions and not covered by irish support.

Any questions or if you want to have a look, just send me a pm, I don't still have your contact details from the old 5 a side in delta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

bazz26 wrote: »
    You hear differing opinions about the quality of their (Munster Joinery's) products but it's the after sales service that most customers complain about. Once the job has been completed it seems they simply don't want to know.
    Professional Plumbing Solutions or TP Gas Services for the heating and bathroom jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Has anyone anything about Limerick Glass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i found walsh windows good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

chicorytip wrote: »
    You hear differing opinions about the quality of their (Munster Joinery's) products but it's the after sales service that most customers complain about. Once the job has been completed it seems they simply don't want to know.
    Professional Plumbing Solutions or TP Gas Services for the heating and bathroom jobs.

We had TP Gas Services to come out and quote to replace a hot tank on 1st floor with a pressurised (unvented) tank situated just above in the attic and to remove hot press and fit out a bathroom. It took 5 weeks of repeated emails and calls to finally get a quote of €14,000 without any bathroom ware. Crazy crazy money. There were no details in the quote to identify where the money was going and requests for more information weren't responded to so we walked away.

We actually have Eugene Bourke installing new hot water system at the moment. His quote was literally half the price of TP Gas Services. I can't say what the quality of his work yet is as it's not finished but the installation in attic is very tidy and clean and he has been a pleasure to deal with so far.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i found walsh windows good

We were recommended Walsh Windows by someone in the building trade and they installed new windows at the front of our house yesterday. We ordered the highest spec you can: triple glazing with acoustic laminate and they weren't cheap.

They came to install yesterday and the windows didn't look like what we asked for. They didn't match the sketch design we signed off on either. We only noticed this once they had taken out the massive window and broken it in the process so there was not going back.

The owner of WW refused to accept that there was any problem and tried to blame us for the issue. He said the drawing we approved wasn't to scale but that's irrelevant as it should be representative of what we were getting. He was highly confrontational and antagonising and we never got any resolution. It has been highly stressful I have to say.

The sales manager is currently trying to make things right but he can't really make things right as they'd need to make the windows all over again. I would definitely NOT recommend Walsh Windows.

Munster Joinery didn't even get back to our request for a quote so can't say much about them. We didn't like D & J glazing when they came to measure up. They didn't even know what acoustic laminate glass was which says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭djdunny

John_Mc wrote: »
    We were recommended Walsh Windows by someone in the building trade and they installed new windows at the front of our house yesterday. We ordered the highest spec you can: triple glazing with acoustic laminate and they weren't cheap.

They came to install yesterday and the windows didn't look like what we asked for. They didn't match the sketch design we signed off on either. We only noticed this once they had taken out the massive window and broken it in the process so there was not going back.

The owner of WW refused to accept that there was any problem and tried to blame us for the issue. He said the drawing we approved wasn't to scale but that's irrelevant as it should be representative of what we were getting. He was highly confrontational and antagonising and we never got any resolution. It has been highly stressful I have to say.

The sales manager is currently trying to make things right but he can't really make things right as they'd need to make the windows all over again. I would definitely NOT recommend Walsh Windows.
    Had something similar happen to us a few years ago with Walsh windows. They tried to say that we ordered triple glazing in the bi-fold door and also the kitchen windows was about 10 cm too short. Tried to put the blame back on us despite having all the info in an email. After a lot of heated discussions with one of the owners, they waived the extra cost for the triple glazing but outright refused to replace the short window and only offered an extra piece of PVC to fill the hole. It was like they had a spare window lying around in the workshop and decided to use it and chance their arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

John_Mc wrote: »
    We had TP Gas Services to come out and quote to replace a hot tank on 1st floor with a pressurised (unvented) tank situated just above in the attic and to remove hot press and fit out a bathroom. It took 5 weeks of repeated emails and calls to finally get a quote of €14,000 without any bathroom ware. Crazy crazy money. There were no details in the quote to identify where the money was going and requests for more information weren't responded to so we walked away.

We actually have Eugene Bourke installing new hot water system at the moment. His quote was literally half the price of TP Gas Services. I can't say what the quality of his work yet is as it's not finished but the installation in attic is very tidy and clean and he has been a pleasure to deal with so far.

Munster Joinery didn't even get back to our request for a quote so can't say much about them. We didn't like D & J glazing when they came to measure up. They didn't even know what acoustic laminate glass was which says a lot.
    Triple glazing provides no extra noise exclusion whatsoever compared to a properly fitted double. I would be looking for a supplier that designs and builds their windows in house rather than importing from an English supplier, which many do. Senator Windows, perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

chicorytip wrote: »
    Triple glazing provides no extra noise exclusion whatsoever compared to a properly fitted double. I would be looking for a supplier that designs and builds their windows in house rather than importing from an English supplier, which many do. Senator Windows, perhaps?

I know that. The addition of an acoustic laminate film in between the layers adds the sound insulation we were looking for. D & J glazing didn't even know what I was talking about but Walsh Windows did.

We went for triple glazing as the front is north facing and we were happy to pay more for better insulated windows.

I'm pretty sure Walsh Windows manufacture the windows themselves by the way.

Advertisement