Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any excuse for plain disgusting bad habits on a ride?

Options
  • 09-02-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

Have a stupid irritating problem at the moment but I have to vent about it, no pun intended.......

Cycling with a guy at the moment who can not or will not refrain from belching. I’m normally not affected by farting or belching on a ride and I’ve been known to let rip myself from time to time.

But this belching to me is totally uncalled for, imagine cycling along nicely in the zone enjoying yourself and then out of nowhere there’s a loud disgusting belch that just ruins the moment, now I belch myself and when your cycling you unknowingly swallow air and it finds its way out when you least expect it.

But this belching is the type of belching that you did in school with the lads to see who could belch the loudest. He even manages to belch without any sort of exertion like after getting out of the car at the meetup point a loud belch followed by an ‘oh excuse me!’

My head is done in by it I’m not a prude, but the enjoyment of my Sunday morning rides are being totally ruined by this. Had also been planning a cycling trip out foreign with this group but I couldn’t go with this guy because his antics would ruin the trip for me.

I don’t believe it’s a medical thing it’s just bad manners, but at the same time what if it is medical?, I’m too embarrassed to say anything. How do you handle this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Just be glad it's not a snot rocket.

On most club spins you're lucky if you get home covered in your own dirt. Given the amount of sh!te thrown up by the wheels of lads with no mudguards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

Belching and snot-rockets I can handle.

But I draw the line at sock height.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Just tell him to quit it or try and suppress it if he can’t help it. He’ll probably say he can’t or whatever but will stop it once he’s conscious that it’s bugging others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Belching and snot-rockets I can handle.

But I draw the line at sock height.

I agree. Ankle socks all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Just be glad it's not a snot rocket.

On most club spins you're lucky if you get home covered in your own dirt. Given the amount of sh!te thrown up by the wheels of lads with no mudguards.

Well the snotting is another problem with him, but thankfully he stays at the back of the group because he’s useless up front. I’ld rather have him at the back of the group where he can’t cause any trouble/accidents.

• Advertisement

Cyclist on mountain bike cycled straight through bus stop shelter outside swan centre Rathmines with people young family in bus shelter earlier today.

Get some karma nooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get some karma nooch.

What does that even mean? Am I supposed to celebrate when a driver gets killed in a single vehicle accident? It's got to be karma, right?

Cyclist on mountain bike cycled straight through bus stop shelter outside swan centre Rathmines with people young family in bus shelter earlier today.

Get some karma nooch.

Cycling through a bus shelter is ignorant alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

Guy could have digestive issues..

The valve between my stomach and oesophagus isn't great, there's a 3cm gap meaning any and all gasses / heartburn juice come straight up unimpeded. I often get particularly belchy when running as I guess the movement gets things more agitated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once had a guy latch onto my back wheel going into a strong headwind, and stay there for about 5km without saying a word to me. no excuse.
    the irony is i only copped he was there when i checked behind me to see the coast was clear for a snotrocket.

• Advertisement

Mattdhg wrote: »
    Guy could have digestive issues..

The valve between my stomach and oesophagus isn't great, there's a 3cm gap meaning any and all gasses / heartburn juice come straight up unimpeded. I often get particularly belchy when running as I guess the movement gets things more agitated

I was thinking that and thats why I hadn’t said anything to him, but on the other hand he’s belching after getting out of the car so it can’t be physical exertion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

cletus wrote: »
    I agree. Ankle socks all the way

There's no rearing on some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was thinking that and thats why I hadn’t said anything to him, but on the other hand he’s belching after getting out of the car so it can’t be physical exertion.

Could be a change in position that’s causing his gas in that situation.
    I’m sure he can still belch, but make it less obvious to people. He might just be unaware how much it’s annoying other people.

Advertisement