Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Saver Meter

Options
  • 09-02-2020 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to install a night saver meter to a property that doesn't have it?

Is it worthy billing-wise?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It depends on what you need it to do.
    For example, my heating and hot water run off it, and I run the dishwasher/dasher/dryer at night too, so the saving is huge. It may not be significant in your case.

You pay a little more of a standing charge on a dual meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,896 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Kaldo wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it possible to install a night saver meter to a property that doesn't have it?

Is it worthy billing-wise?

Thanks

The question is why do you think you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

Thank you both.

Well, I was considering to have it for saving in the bill. I also put the washing machine and dishwasher at night so... Basically that's the main reason.

Thanks

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Do things as normal and check your meter at 11pm, 8am and 11pm again. That'll give you an idea of how much power you use during the day and night. Try do that for a typical week (washes etc at night as you're doing) to get a more accurate estimate.

Standing charge is about €50 more a year. Night rate is about half the day rate. Day rate goes up by 1 cent usually.

It's perfectly possible. All you need to do is contact your energy provider, ask them to switch you to a night rate, and they'll organise the ESB to call out and change the meter (if needs be).

Kaldo wrote: »
    Thank you both.

Well, I was considering to have it for saving in the bill. I also put the washing machine and dishwasher at night so... Basically that's the main reason.

Thanks

Washing machine probably uses about 1.2kW per wash. Similar with the dishwasher, depending how new/efficient they are. Twice a week that's only about 20 in savings over the year. Granted your house will have a base load too. Tumble dryer at night too would save another 20 a year maybe. Do the check, that'll give you a better idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

If they are replacing the meter do you know if they would look for a periodic inspection report or compliance report before changing the meters over/adding the night rate?

I bought a house that has been rewired about 10 years ago but have no paperwork relating to it, it all looks good work to me. I still have the rotating dial type meter, would be interested in getting the night rate meter but don't want any added expense of having to get a rec out to do a report and no doubt there would be non conformances to fix, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Think with storage heaters. You have that rate automatically. I try to do as much at night as well.

But wary these days of running the dryer at night. With all the recalls and fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Kaldo wrote:

Dishwasher and washing machine are fire hazards and shouldn't be used while you are in bed.

Night rate is only worth while if you have electric storage heating or an EV. You need to use a lot at night to make it worth while. The average home is better off on regular day rate. ESB network charge 120 or 150 to install the night meter. You'll be a long time saving this much. There is the national roll out of smart meters. You will be getting one free of charge in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Perhaps I’m ignorant but I’m not aware of any particular recalls regarding dryers, washing machines or dishwashers, let alone fires.
    Is there anywhere I can catch up on this?
    But wary these days of running the dryer at night. With all the recalls and fires.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Dishwasher and washing machine are fire hazards and shouldn't be used while you are in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

Night rate is only worth while if you have electric storage heating or an EV. You need to use a lot at night to make it worth while. The average home is better off on regular day rate. ESB network charge 120 or 150 to install the night meter. You'll be a long time saving this much. There is the national roll out of smart meters. You will be getting one free of charge in the next few years.

There was no charge to have our night rate meter installed a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I’m ignorant but I’m not aware of any particular recalls regarding dryers, washing machines or dishwashers, let alone fires. Is there anywhere I can catch up on this?

The fire officer has repeatedly said that dishwashers & washing machines are dangerous to run when you are in bed.

There is a thread about the current Hotpoint recall due to fires. They are offering brand new machines free for the 100s of thousands of effected machines.

SteM wrote:
    There was no charge to have our night rate meter installed a couple of months ago.

Sorry. My mistake. The fee is to have it removed.

Standing charge is 45 euros more per year for night meter and the daytime rate is more expensive with a night rate meter compared to a regular meter

There is no charge to change it. Only a charge to change it back.

Tails142 wrote: »
    If they are replacing the meter do you know if they would look for a periodic inspection report or compliance report before changing the meters over/adding the night rate?

I bought a house that has been rewired about 10 years ago but have no paperwork relating to it, it all looks good work to me. I still have the rotating dial type meter, would be interested in getting the night rate meter but don't want any added expense of having to get a rec out to do a report and no doubt there would be non conformances to fix, anyone know?

We moved our meter, which cost us a few hundred. Don't think there's any charge to change it if your current one isn't able to do night rate. Ring ESB, they're pretty helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 33,896 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tails142 wrote: »

The board would be tested especially the earth connection for compliance. For any meter move also you might need a new 63A MCB outside at the meter box for isolation.

These are compliance rules.

Advertisement