Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Won’t happen

Maybe not, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Let them at it !

More interestingly if they can’t form a government and Sinn Fein run more candidates will they have a majority government !

The US and the UK didn’t burn to the ground with their governments , I remember waking up in the middle of the night when trump was elected thinking oh no what just happened , 4 years on and nothing remarkable has happened

I for one don’t mind Sinn Fein being there in the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Odhinn wrote: »
    Would you be good enough to share what timeline ballads and the like should stick to? Nothing before 1960?1970?

Don't be so obtuse.... you know exactly what I mean....
    Or maybe you don't ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

swarlb wrote: »
    Don't be so obtuse.... you know exactly what I mean....
    Or maybe you don't ??

No, no idea what your problem is, to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I think are majority are not taken in. It more about everyone knows FG and FF are turning a blind eye to housing, health and crime in the country. Most people want to see if SF are put in a position to deal with these issues. What will they do? They have always been on the sidelines saying what’s wrong with the country. Now they will be in a position to fix them with no excuses.

We know that your party, FG, have failed abysmally to deal with the crime. What are their excuses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

There isn't really a housing crisis, there is an entitlement crisis! The "I don't want to work, have kids I can't afford but want a 'foreva home in the areas workers are priced out off" brigade peddle that agenda.

We know that spongers are going to be voting for SF, but that's like writing off all of Peter Casey's voters as racists.

Sure there were racists that voted for Peter Casey, but saying that 23.3% of the population are racists is stupid, lazy, and misses the point.

The same thing here. SF seems to have got almost the exact same percentage that Casey got in the presidential election. Does that mean 24% of the electorate are spongers? Of course not. :mad:

People who have to commute for hours a day are pissed off. People who have loved ones in hospital are pissed off. People who have sky high rents are pissed off. People who have large mortgages, and also have to pay property tax, and USC, and high income tax, and even tax on vitamins are pissed off.

I don't think they should have voted for SF as a protest vote when there were perfectly respectable parties they could have given their preference to instead, but to dismiss their real struggles as entitlement is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

There isn't really a housing crisis, there is an entitlement crisis! The "I don't want to work, have kids I can't afford but want a 'foreva home in the areas workers are priced out off" brigade peddle that agenda.

That’s such bs. 20 years ago my parents were in their 2nd home by 21, dad worked on a line in a factory, mom stayed at home. Now my partner and I both work( in good jobs) and are realistically looking at a mortgage in our mid 30’s. House prices have gone up, wages have not gone up, taxes have gone up, rent has gone crazy.

It’s easy look down on us from your tower that you probably got on dodge credit, but there are larger issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree, a dole merchant getting a house for “free” is blood boiling, FG’s 10% of social housing in each new development policy is a real ball breaker imo. The thing is these people existed and always will in a welfare state.

The issue is simply supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah. Who gives Margaret cash the free house, masses of cash. There’s 300,000,000 a year on th welfare bonus. Pays e1800 a month to rent the new luxury apartments in Dundrum and charges tenants fifty euro a week to rent them ... the answer is Fg

So you think Sinn Fein will reduce welfare spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ush1 wrote: »
    So you think Sinn Fein will reduce welfare spend?

absolutely not a hope, theyll increase it.

Mary Lou ran an excellent campaign too that can’t be forgotten ,

Apart from faltering on the special criminal court questioning she ticked all the boxes

MM and LV got so consumed by not going into government with Sinn Fein the rest of their campaign was almost forgotten about

I can remember what Mary Lou said in debates and the fact Brendan howlin was so short but as for MM’s manifesto I couldn’t recall the specifics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

So everyone in Singapore with almost 90% public housing is a sponger? Come off it.
    Nothing wrong with calling for an end to HAP that wastes a lot of my tax money and instead get a better return on it providing public housing.
    It's not "free housing" for unemployed but public housing for workers struggling forced to give far too much of their income on over priced accommodation to private landlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Next gov to be FF/SF is now 5/2 favorite on paddypower. FF still 1/5 to have the most seats.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    That’s such bs. 20 years ago my parents were in their 2nd home by 21, dad worked on a line in a factory, mom stayed at home. Now my partner and I both work( in good jobs) and are realistically looking at a mortgage in our mid 30’s. House prices have gone up, wages have not gone up, taxes have gone up, rent has gone crazy.

It’s easy look down on us from your tower that you probably got on dodge credit, but there are larger issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree, a dole merchant getting a house for “free” is blood boiling, FG’s 10% of social housing in each new development policy is a real ball breaker imo. The thing is these people existed and always will in a welfare state.

Ever think of moving to another part of the country ? There’s always cheap houses if you have the need to own one ! Genuine question not having a go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

caff wrote: »
    So everyone in Singapore with almost 90% public housing is a sponger? Come off it.
    Nothing wrong with calling for an end to HAP that wastes a lot of my tax money and instead get a better return on it providing public housing.
    It's not "free housing" for unemployed but public housing for workers struggling forced to give far too much of their income on over priced accommodation to private landlords.

I've been to Singapore.

I didn't see one person who resembles the 1000s of scumbags i see everyday roaming around Ireland expecting everything for nothing.

Make no mistake, this country has a lot of absolute scumbags who contribute nothing to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm absolutely loving all the salty tears from the anti-SF bores on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I've been to Singapore.

I didn't see one person who resembles the 1000s of scumbags i see everyday roaming around Ireland expecting everything for nothing.

Make no mistake, this country has a lot of absolute scumbags who contribute nothing to society.

Great so you agree that means if we increased our public housing provision to mimic that of singapore it wouldn't magically change people who moved into them into scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And you think thats the housing crisis.

What about people who work but can't afford a house?
    Does that not resonate or are you just happy to roll out the usual crap generalisations which are regularly bandied about on here and the journal because you get a few 'likes'.

I can't afford to buy a house yet in the area I want even though my salary is above the average salary of €47k. I probably can in the next year or two or could have by reducing holidays etc but I have an issue with the growing sense of entitlement from the element of society who expect everything for nothing.

I don't post for likes btw, I post for discussion and in an attempt to get an explanation of what I just cannot understand.

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Ever think of moving to another part of the country ? There’s always cheap houses if you have the need to own one ! Genuine question not having a go

100% in the perfect world I’d be in another country, major reason for staying is we have a family member with a disability so we like to be close. That being said we don’t live in a “expensive area” but a decent family home
    Is still going to cost you 300k+.

I've been to Singapore.

Yeah and most of them wear suits.

Maurice McC,.

FG put in Drew Harris and he's done a great job so far. What do you think SF would do with the Gardai? Seriously now.

The criminality round the border is all SF driven. Expect that to get much worse. The provos will have a crime monopoly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as SF deserve credit for their massive gains in this election, there is something that is annoying me slightly about their triumphalism.

When FG Or FF were running the place with maybe 35% of the vote, they'd often remind us that 65% of the voters didn't vote for them.

Now they have 23.7% of the vote and they are raving about it telling us they are the biggest party in the country, I can't see them telling us that this still means that nearly 77% of the voters DIDN'T vote for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

tdf7187 wrote: »
    We know that your party, FG, have failed abysmally to deal with the crime. What are their excuses?

You already sound like SF in opposition. Highlighting issues with no solutions.

I didn’t vote for FG btw

FG and FF both failed on Housing, Health and Crime.

What I’m saying is that most voters who voted for SF don’t expect them to solve it either.

Let’s say SF lead a Government... Do you believe they will build 100,000 affordable and social housing in 1825 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

the 1000s of scumbags i see everyday roaming around Ireland

Hmm... are you sure this isn't just in your strange imagination.

Sounds a bit like Mad Max but more 'scumbags'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I am in the same position, working but no house but the growing entitlement culture is head wrecking & SF have succeeded by indulging that far greater than other parties. The only good thing I have to say about FF or FG is that they are better than SF. We don't have great choices. Not in a tower (can't afford to buy one!) and no dodgy credit either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I can't afford to buy a house yet in the area I want even though my salary is above the average salary of €47k. I probably can in the next year or two or could have by reducing holidays etc but I have an issue with the growing sense of entitlement from the element of society who expect everything for nothing.

I don't post for likes btw, I post for discussion and in an attempt to get an explanation of what I just cannot understand.

My earning power has been slashed in the last ten years.
    The boarders are open and hostile people who hate our culture are being given free homes and welfare this is real and happening very close to me.

Hospitals are a joke.

In an area close to me all deliveries post public transport and taxis will not go in due to being attacked by African gangs.
    The gangsters in power want hate speech laws to shut up people like me.

Everywhere I go I see Irish people begging on the streets.
    My elderly folks have to endure 3rd world hospital conditions.

With 33% of these people being landlords why is anybody shocked that the young people have rejected them.

Serious question about the entiltment society why do we have open boarders for those from the 3rd world we owe them nothing.

What kind of mortgage does 47k get you?

Assuming your a single first time Buyer with no loans and no kids that will get you: €208,889 that you will have to pay back over 35 years. That won’t buy you much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The people have spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Edgware wrote: »
    The people have spoken

20% of the people?

100% in the perfect world I’d be in another country, major reason for staying is we have a family member with a disability so we like to be close. That being said we don’t live in a “expensive area” but a decent family home
    Is still going to cost you 300k+.

Understand completely also have a family member with a disability !

It annoyed me immensely when we got a letter from brothers of charity services go say there budget was cut and the same day they were bailing out the FAI to the tune of 20 million I hope Sinn Fein brings the country back to reality !

• Advertisement

FG put in Drew Harris and he's done a great job so far. What do you think SF would do with the Gardai? Seriously now.

The criminality round the border is all SF driven. Expect that to get much worse. The provos will have a crime monopoly.

That remains to be seen.

Advertisement