Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A lot of sobbing into handkerchiefs in this thread by uncompassionate rich people, landlords, free market capitalists, and resentful slave-grubs. You gotta laugh.

ill put it in terms somebody the other side of the aisle might understand, imagine you and your commune were just about affording life, then all of a sudden weed was 30 quid a gram, cans were 4 euro each and amber leaf cost 50 euro a box, and the reason for that increase was that the government needed to buy gold crowns, something you consider a complete waste of money.

well thats how taxpayers feel about paying for all of the free houses and welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭briany

What have we come to indeed.... Fianna Fail once again the largest party. Tweedle-dum gives way to Tweedle-dee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well we will be down half a billion when they get rid of property tax, so not sure how we will build any houses...I guess all those fat cat bankers will pay for it... Or something

Don't forget the 13 billion from Apple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a real shame that labour are in such disarray, the country is crying out for a competent left of center, hard working and intelligent alternative.

I agree. I'm not a left-leaning voter but am I'm looking out for a party that would support actual working people of all pay-grades.

On topic, I'll never vote SF. I can't stand them.
    However, it's not a surprise that they have so many seats so soon.
    Every other substantial party screwed themselves with their woeful track records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I think the demise of fine Gael and fail is purely down to the middle classes just not bothering with polictics.. my parents and their friends were all out campaigning for local candidate's when they were in their 20s/30 and in some cases still to this day.. none of their kids care about politics.. I feel like the absence of their children being as involed in polictics has led to a vaccum which has been filled by sinn Fein and others. When we were kids even mentioning sinn fein was always hushed..there was understanding that they were equated to the ira..

Everyone knows the housing situation is ****, health is **** but it's obvious none of those things are a rapid fix. Do people not think the current government would not like them to be better? Of course I want to pay less tax, I'd like a better health system, cheaper houses..the reality is if sinn Fein go into government they will compromise... Their ideas will.be costed by the civil service and they will have to play with real money instead of Monopoly money.

Things won't change at all..so what will the electorate say in 5 year's?

So in other words those who are too lazy or stupid to vote should not be crying about the result is that what you are saying?

If yes I totally agree.

• Advertisement

Does it make a difference if I’m a high earner (loaded) on 40k a year?

Not at all- SF has a secret fund just for the like of you- they don't post about it anywhere so shhhhhhhh- you'll be in a 4 bed detached overlooking Miltown golf club before you know it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a real shame that labour are in such disarray, the country is crying out for a competent left of center, hard working and intelligent alternative.

So that rules Labour out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ill put it in terms somebody the other side of the aisle might understand, imagine you and your commune were just about affording life, then all of a sudden weed was 30 quid a gram, cans were 4 euro each and amber leaf cost 50 euro a box, and the reason for that increase was that the government needed to buy gold crowns, something you consider a complete waste of money.

well thats how taxpayers feel about paying for all of the free houses and welfare.
    They've been paying for that for years under FFFg.
    Or haven't ye noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Jesus man that's awful .. desperate times for you alright .. do you need the number of a food bank?

I needed a number for a food bank a few years ago but got up off my arse and did something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

theballz wrote: »
    Exactly this. I fall into that fold.

I am 30, the recession came when I finished school. I didn’t go to college, I became an apprentice electrician when their was no work. I was a victim of the recession, I worked for 5 years as a sparks but never qualified due to dodgy companies around the time.

I didn’t like that life so I quit. I went back to college as a mature student at 23, I studied 4 nights a week 6-10pm whilst working 5 days 9-5pm. Bare in mind I don’t come from money, I paid my own fees whilst working full time and paying rent.

Since then, I have gone on to do well. I would be considered “wealthy” by SF. I am now doing an evening masters (paying myself) and working full time. Paying rent. I make about 130k a year. I’m a single man from a very low income family.

It feels like all my hard work was for nothing. I already big tax, I don’t have wealthy parents to help me buy a home. I am single, no partner. I can not afford a house on my own, because I pay such high rent still. I work so hard and this sh*t is just so deflating. I work 60 hours a week.

Again, for what? To have it all taken away from me?

There is a stigma to high earners in this country, everyone assumes they come from wealth. That is not always the case.

Sinn Fein will drive a lot of talent out of this country by increasing the already ridiculous tax rates.

Politics aside, well done to you. I love seeing success stories like this down to sacrifice, hard work and commitment.

• Advertisement

I needed a number for a food bank a few years ago but got up off my arse and did something about it.

Did you and your friends get up off your asses and vote?

Is there anything to be said for another Progressive Democrats party? :D

But actually, on a serious note, I predict a break from FG around a new party - don't know who but they could nab a number of seats back from SF in the next general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Funny, coz apart from being wealthy your life sounds fairly crap. Maybe you prioritized the wrong things? Can't blame Sin Fein for that.

The irony is, Mary Lou McDonald grew up off Orwell Road Dublin 6 -far from minimum wage she came from.

Hat off to you for scaling to great heights in your career- i hope it works out for you.

I love my country. I’ve had plenty of opportunities to leave but stayed. If things go as SF want them to then I will now certainly leave.

Thank you for the kind words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

shesty wrote: »
    Where is the money for those things going to come from?

https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2020/SF_GE2020_Manifesto.pdf

Enjoy :)

screamer wrote: »
    Well done to you, but don’t worry, SFs power base would not be deserving of a hardworking person such as yourself, they don’t need brains to vote for them, that’s obvious. If I were you, young free and single I’d be outta here to a nice low tax country for 3 to 4 years and make a mint for yourself.

Appreciate the kind words. Let’s hope everything works out for everyone!

I love my country. I’ve had plenty of opportunities to leave but stayed. If things go as SF want them to then I will now certainly leave.

Thank you for the kind words.

Don't worry none of us will try and stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Jesus man that's awful .. desperate times for you alright .. do you need the number of a food bank?

That’s a fairly big chip on your shoulder there, it must be a tough burden in life.
    Instead of knocking the posters success story you should look at your own shortcomings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Did you and your friends get up of your asses and vote?

Will I have to show that I voted for SF to get my cheap house allocation or is it open to all?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

When they start taking up the side of the people beaten to death in barns rather then those doing the beating.

Perhaps when they're canvassing teams stop driving round with "Ooh ahh up the RA" blaring from their vans?

It's staggering that opponents of Sinn Fein are asked to move on, while they themselves are still singing about Black & Tans in count centres.

• Advertisement

Funny, coz apart from being wealthy your life sounds fairly crap. Maybe you prioritized the wrong things? Can't blame Sin Fein for that.

My life is amazing. I work hard and have done for years. I just don’t want my hard work to paying for welchers and people who couldn’t be arsed to make something of themselves “coz” that’s not right.

Get over yourself and learn to spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A lot of sobbing into handkerchiefs in this thread by uncompassionate rich people, landlords, free market capitalists, and resentful slave-grubs. You gotta laugh.

Oh I'm laughing alright, I'm afraid it's at and not with though.

Define rich please,?

Is there anything to be said for another Progressive Democrats party? :D

But actually, on a serious note, I predict a break from FG around a new party - don't know who but they could nab a number of seats back from SF in the next general election.

Renua ringing any bells, few people on here expected them to do well and disappeared along with them.

There way well be a break off party, but their policies will have to align with the majority of the population to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

And now that you're rich you don't want to pay a few hundred more in taxes, even it it means improving things for people having a hard time like you were.

130k a year an crying about a bit of extra tax.

Bet your parents are proud of you.

So 11.2bn in extra expenditure... And zero indication at all where this comes from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

This sounds awesome
    SINN Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has said she wants to attempt to become Taoiseach leading a left-wing government without Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil.

Ms McDonald has already spoken with the Green Party, Social Democrats and Solidarity-People Before Profit about forming a government without either Leo Varadkar or Micheál Martin’s party.

Come on people with the attention span of Goldfish don't do well with reading.;)

And now that you're rich you don't want to pay a few hundred more in taxes, even it it means improving things for people having a hard time like you were.

130k a year an crying about a bit of extra tax.

Bet your parents are proud of you.

A few hundred?
    Erm.... Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

bubblypop wrote: »
    There are plenty of houses for sale in the country. Not everyone is simply entitled to live where they want.
    You live where you can afford.

Unless you're a long-term unemployed waste of space spawning one kid after another. Then you're entitled to be housed, fed and have free access to health services.

Those houses for sale in the country are actually few and far between and, imagine that, the locals want to buy them too. Small towns and villages have a much smaller supply of houses to buy and rent, and even if you get your dream house in the sticks what will you do there for work? Ever tried browsing job ads in small towns? There's little work so people are either commuting long hours or paying extortionate rents.

Sure, you live where where you afford but lots of people simply cannot afford not living where they work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,499 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So far, Sinn Fein have successfully got 67% of their candidates elected. About 35% of seats have been decided.

Advertisement