Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I posit;

Let SF have power, let them at it.

Lets see how well they do in the real World.

I have the emergency number of the IMF right here just in case.

I don't want them in opposition where they can preen their unsullied feathers for another 5 years. Lets bring them into the light.

Maybe their electorate might learn a few things about the reality of being a small country in a *massive* global Economy. I won't hold my breath.

oh no, when they are in power there will be no homeless, insurance will be cheap, free houses for everyone, etc this is what one of their demographic told me today. their basis for believing this? because that is what they promised. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I posit;

Let SF have power, let them at it.

Lets see how well they do in the real World.

I have the emergency number of the IMF right here just in case.

I don't want them in opposition where they can preen their unsullied feathers for another 5 years. Lets bring them into the light.

Maybe their electorate might learn a few things about the reality of being a small country in a *massive* global Economy. I won't hold my breath.

Problem with that is, in proving this theory which I by the way agree with, there could be and will be some serious damage done to the country, both economically where SF haven’t a fûcking note in their head and our reputation whereby the like of Mary Lou, O’Snodaigh etc I wouldn’t trust to either represent our interests internationally or indeed succeed domestically for ALL....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How many seats to form a government?

Bill 2.0 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, why would people with plenty of money vote for the party that is promising them that they can have even more because "de rich" (not them though) will pay for everything?

**** the more realistic alternatives!

There is no one richer than me in terms of spirits. I checked a minute ago because the bottle is empty. I still have plenty of moolah though, underneath the mattress (don't tell anyone). I hope that FF/FG will pay extra to have it secured from the vulture funds circling overhead. This is reality 2.0, update pending by the 11th count.

How many seats to form a government?

80 I think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Now that reality hits I’m a little scared .

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

billyhead wrote: »
    Sinn Fein topping the polls in many constituencies. I believe in democracy but too vote this crowd in as your number 1

Billy ... the people have spoken.
    I'm not happy about this at all. In 10 months Mary Lou will have to deal with actual Brexit ( customs checks, papers, delays ). Good luck to Taioseach McDonald.

Strumms wrote: »
    SF 29

Others 33

SF 29

Others 38

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'm intruiged how far SF could have pushed things.
    I mean they got several candidates who weren't deemed strong enough to be a local councillor a few months ago elected, and there's more to come tomorrow.

Could they have gotten Larry Murphy (or another nefarious character) elected in the right constituency ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Problem with that is, in proving this theory which I by the way agree with, there could be and will be some serious damage done to the country, both economically where SF haven’t a fûcking note in their head and our reputation whereby the like of Mary Lou, O’Snodaigh etc I wouldn’t trust to either represent our interests internationally or indeed succeed domestically for ALL....

It’s the will of the people and must be respected. They’ve indicated a preference for a looney tune manifesto through the ballot box. The notion that “change” would bring a plethora of easy solutions to complex problems resonated very strongly with voters and the people have put their faith and economic futures partly in the hands of very questionable and inexperienced populists. The people have spoken- they’d like Obroin in Housing, McDonald or Reilly in Health for example. The “They won’t talk to us” mantra we’ve heard before the counting even began is very telling though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

Scoondal wrote: »
    the people have spoken.

And they have said "ahhhhhhhhhh, durrrrrrrrrrr. give me more munnies :D"

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Now that reality hits I’m a little scared .

Never fear democracy or the will of the people. They’ve spoken and want “change” ala Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

I voted for them myself thought it would be just a kick up the arse for the other 2 not a massacre.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    oh no, when they are in power there will be no homeless, insurance will be cheap, free houses for everyone, etc this is what one of their demographic told me today. their basis for believing this? because that is what they promised. lol

There will also be decreased pension age, abolition of property taxes, and cuts to personal taxation.

road_high wrote: »
    Never fear democracy or the will of the people.

Have you been around people recently? They are dumb as ****.

Most of them will push on a door that is clearly labelled pull.

SF 29

Others 42

Sinn Fein after coming out of the traps all guns blazing are gone a little stagnant with no gains in a while...

road_high wrote: »
    There will also be decreased pension age, abolition of property taxes, and cuts to personal taxation.

"De rich" are going to pay for all of these goodies!

What's that? They've all left for better tax regimes because they can easily afford to do so?

Um. Eh. This is all someone elses fault!

Have you been around people recently? They are dumb as ****.

Most of them will push on a door that is clearly labelled pull.

Yes I know but you can’t stop them voting. Unfortunately that’s what you’re up against and you live in hope they may learn the hard way.
    I do hope the economy keeps humming along but there are clouds on the horizon for sure and I did think personally it important we had competent experienced pro economy people oversee that. But the vast majority don’t agree with my POV and don’t share my worries over the economy. All the exit polls indicate it was a very low priority for people as evidenced from the outcome

"De rich" are going to pay for all of these goodies!

What's that? They've all left for better tax regimes because they can easily afford to do so?

Um. Eh. This is all someone elses fault!

Yes all the over €100ks earners will

Monday morning ... ISEQ going down already.

• Advertisement

Hello Taoiseach McDonnald, goodbye stock exchange.
    Haha, sold my shares last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I sometimes wonder how long it took before FG/Cumann na nGaedheal stopped throwing stuff like this at FF. Was it before or after they interned and executed Republicans in the 40s some twenty years after the Civil War?

SF recognised the legitimacy of Leinster House in 1986. They signed up to the GFA in 1998 with subsequent decommissioning and endorsing of policing. They are part of the government of the North on behalf of Westminster. They regularly meet British royals and lay wreaths to British soldiers. Just last week they were helping recruit for the PSNI/RUC. They regularly call on people to give information to the police with regards to Republican/dissident related activity.

So, considering that we are over 30 years since they accepted the legitimacy of the state and over 20 since they accepted British rule in the North, what further action will they have to take before FG and FF will accept them?

Getting rid of the thugs that are in their rank and file would be a start.

They are the only party that I've experienced physical intimidation from whilst out canvassing, on numerous occasions, in multiple elections, for independent or party.

If you own or aspire to owning your own home, they are not the party for you.

If you work or aspire to work, they are not the party for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Have to say not surprised honestly. We have decade of austerity and despite running budget surplus last few years the country especially outside Dublin is seeing a massive cut-back in public services over the last 10 years (post-offices, gardai, hospitals, fire-stations).

Populism appeals to voters, we have seen it with Trump, Brexit, Poland/Hungary/Brazil and Italy. FF and FG have set out their stall to be subservient to the EU, US multi-national corporations and the ultra rich.

The SF message clearly resonates with students, young adults entering the housing market, two groups ignored by the big two for decades. It is interesting though SF got such a strong old age pension vote. The hospital waiting lists, trolley situation and increase in age eligibility for the public pension no doubt created much anger in the most vocal voting group in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Have to say not surprised honestly. We have decade of austerity and despite running budget surplus last few years the country especially outside Dublin is seeing a massive cut-back in public services over the last 10 years (post-offices, gardai, hospitals, fire-stations).

Populism appeals to voters, we have seen it with Trump, Brexit, Poland/Hungary/Brazil and Italy. FF and FG have set out their stall to be subservient to the EU, US multi-national corporations and the ultra rich.

The SF message clearly resonates with students, young adults entering the housing market, two groups ignored by the big two for decades. It is interesting though SF got such a strong old age pension vote. The hospital waiting lists, trolley situation and increase in age eligibility for the public pension no doubt created much anger in the most vocal voting group in the country.

Those that voted for them will need to accept the consequences of their vote when the whole lot comes tumbling down. Their fantasy manifesto is completely undeliverable.

They won't though. The voters are never wrong.

Today, I am glad that my mother has dementia. She hated Sinn Fein even more than me.
    I will stand against terrorism as a policy that achieves results. They can threaten me, kneecap me and still from my wheelchair I will oppose them until the day they kill me. Open the can of worms...

GSBellew wrote: »
    Getting rid of the thugs that are in their rank and file would be a start.

They are the only party that I've experienced physical intimidation from whilst out canvassing, on numerous occasions, in multiple elections, for independent or party.

If you own or aspire to owning your own home, they are not the party for you.

If you work or aspire to work, they are not the party for you.

Doing that would mean getting rid of a core pillar of their vote- not going to happen! If anything these undesirables are emboldened by the results and see it as validation of mindless thuggery. I know exactly what you’re talking about as someone not too distant from me had direct SF experience when they helped the ”wrong” people and the local SF mafia disapproved. One only has to see from
    the campaign itself where would SF would relish dismantling of our legal structures. And this was endorsed by a vote swath of voters which makes you wonder for the future of law and order

SF 29

Others 42

Sinn Fein after coming out of the traps all guns blazing are gone a little stagnant with no gains in a while...

SF 29

Others 44

Who might much in with SF, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

SF 29

Others 44

Who might much in with SF, ?

SF only have 40 candidates. They got the most first preferences across the board. I think FG have something like 70 candidates.

People don't vote for SF because they like them the most, they just hate them the least.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    SF only have 40 candidates. They got the most first preferences across the board. I think FG have something like 70 candidates.

People don't vote for SF because they like them the most, they just hate them the least.

Yes, I think a lot of people vote that way, I did in years gone by...Either way, to get so far, 73% of their candidates into the dail is excellent going, credit where it’s due, and votes still being counted..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

How much support would SF give to the Gardai, Army and the courts against dissidents ?

The same any other party would.
    You know why they are dissident is because they dont agree or support SF or in the most part the GFA?

Advertisement