Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is one point I will make on increased tax v expenditure! It is actually more beneficial to cut tax, than spend more on ****e. Which is the usual choice here. When things go tits up, listen to the uproad, when they try and claw back a fiver a week on welfare, the same fiver, that at the time of the give away, was deemed an insult :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Zetor19 wrote: »
    How much is the dole these days ? Let’s face it we will all be on it soon enough with the scumbags in charge and how much are Celtic jerseys and a pack of cigs? May as well fit in with the scum on dole day. Also what time do the bookies open at, that seems to be a favourite pastime of a scumbag. Try and top up the dole.

If you ever lose your job I will be sure to call you a scumbag.

I have been made redundant twice within a decade I managed to get into full time employment again but as people get older this is not so easy.

What a stupid post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Worsening crisis?
    - full employment, improved infrastructure and a deal on Brexit

I'm sorry but that's the most sunny side up assessment of FG's last 5 years in power possible, and is very very blinkered.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    ........than spend more on ****e. Which is the usual choice here. When things go tits up, listen to the uproad, when they try and claw back a fiver a week on welfare, the same fiver, that at the time of the give away, was deemed an insult :rolleyes:

SF won't be cutting tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have been made redundant twice within a decade I managed to get into full time employment again but as people get older this is not so easy.

What a stupid post.

the irony that if he every loses his job, that we will get the same rate as wasters that have never worked, is a disgrace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The point I was making was that they were ALL making unrealistic, unachievable promises on one point or another. That is what they do. Not one party had a perfectly achievable manifesto, not just SF.

Your insistence of dismissing this as a protest vote is very telling. People knew exactly who and what they were voting for, they wanted a change, and SF was the only viable alternative to FF/FG.

If it was simply a protest vote, why didn't people protest and vote Social Democrats, or Greens, or Labour in their droves? Why won't you accept that a lot of people simply want to see SF in government?

Because they can't tell me why?:confused:

You've just changed your argument again from all have the same manifestos to all lying.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the irony that if he every loses his job, that we will get the same rate as wasters that have never worked, is a disgrace!

In fairness that does grind my gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Meanwhile Mícheal Martin nor Simon Coveny are never to be seen down here, and they haven't exactly done a good job on a national level. No way were either of them getting my vote.

I sincerely hope you reap the rewards of that ill judgement. I'm no great fan of FF/FG but there are certain people I give credit to for their public leadership and those too for different reasons would be high on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Zetor19 wrote: »
    How much is the dole these days ? Let’s face it we will all be on it soon enough with the scumbags in charge and how much are Celtic jerseys and a pack of cigs? May as well fit in with the scum on dole day. Also what time do the bookies open at, that seems to be a favourite pastime of a scumbag. Try and top up the dole.

Unfortunately the FF and FG govt presided over the dole system here in the country.

Maybe if FF/FG/LAB brought in proper programmes to get people into sustained employment and off the dole instead of their job bridge hair brained schemes invented just massage the jobless figures...maybe there would be less people on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

FF wrecked the country, FG said "let them eat cake". I can see how the door was left open for SF. I'm very disappointed with how the country has reacted, but it is the will of the people. 25% voted for SF, so that's probably going to be reflected in the resulting government arrangements.

Maybe the worst of SF can be moderated by whoever joins them in coalition. Either way, I'll treat it like a zombie apocalypse. Batten down the hatches for a few years, look after myself and my family, and hope there's still a functioning country when it blows over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ush1 wrote: »
    Because they can't tell me why?:confused:

You've just changed your argument again from all have the same manifestos to all lying.

More misrepresenting of what I said. I said they were all the same because they were all unachieavable in some aspect or another.
    That is what I said and I can quote it for you if you want, stop twisting my words.

Sorry, I'm failing to see what your point is here?
    All 3 manifestos have some aspect or another that us unrealistic, I said this in response to someone moaning about the SF one. None of them were perfect.
    I never mentioned the word lying, that was you.

I have some magic beans I can sell to you if you honestly believe that any of the maniestos from any of the parties were 100% financially accurate and achievable, because they weren't.

I wasn't moaning about the Sinn Fein one, I pointed out how it differs from the others when you said they were all 3 "much of muchness".:pac:

Now you shifted the goalposts to "they are all not achievable". Have you considered politics yourself? I hear Sinn Fein have a few openings need filling.

More misrepresenting of what I said. I said they were all the same because they were all unachieavable in some aspect or another.
    That is what I said and I can quote it for you if you want, stop twisting my words.
    The policies of the 3 main parties were all much of muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Still no word on how SF are going to fund their manifesto plans.

I'm not sure how an anti corporation strategy coupled with relying on PAYE from the higher earners that these corporations employ works out?

Seems a bit like cutting off the branch you are standing on to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Meanwhile Mícheal Martin nor Simon Coveny are never to be seen down here, and they haven't exactly done a good job on a national level. No way were either of them getting my vote.

Also if I'm not right, I think you were a supporter of the idea of Repeal 8th??? Do you not recall Micheál Martin standing up and giving leadership on the matter to his party???

Ingratiates like you sicken me :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

What a stupid post.
    It's always the same people that seem to equate people on the Dole to scumbags , it seems to be beyond them that some people aren't as fortunate as them and genuinely fall on hard times with little options.

Again it's no surprise these types of ignorant people are upset with the status quo nest getting up ended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Worsening crisis?

Crap paying jobs

Health service a total mess

Rent crisis

Housing crisis

Justice system a joke

Pensions, environment, water infrastructure etc.. etc...

but yeah no crisis at all.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope you reap the rewards of that ill judgement. I'm no great fan of FF/FG but there are certain people I give credit to for their public leadership and those too for different reasons would be high on the list.

So because that's your personal experience and opinion of them as representatives, I should be forced to believe the same, even though I disagree with you?
    We live in a democracy.
    I believe your opinion is badly judged, but you're entitled to it and I respect that.

I would never wish ill on anyone, least of all for disagreeing with me on highly personal and divisive political issues.
    Shame on you, what an absolutely pathetic post.

Cupatae wrote: »
    It's always the same people that seem to equate people on the Dole to scumbags , it seems to be beyond them that some people aren't as fortunate as them and genuinely fall on hard times with little options.

Again it's no surprise these types of ignorant people are upset with the status quo nest getting up ended

Just had to quote this post as a thanks was not enough well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

What a stupid post.

Guys like that love to punch down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The Tory/FG mantra is 'we'll look after our own and if that leads to mismanagement and some losing out, just label them scumbags and spongers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's always the same people who equate earning over the industrial average as being a wealthy, fat cat banker ripe for the plucking.

Funny old world.

Worsening crisis?

You new here?
    Health, housing, homelessness.
    Oh and a reported 1% of the electorate gave any weight to Brexit in their decision. That would have to include them that voted FF/FG. Must have been the crises eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The Tory/FG mantra is 'we'll look after our own and if that leads to mismanagement and some losing out, just label them scumbags and spongers'.

Most importantly, cultivate resentment in as broad amount of the populace as possible. Remember, that sliver of the population that is unemployed is reason everything is dysfunctional.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Crap paying jobs

Health service a total mess

Rent crisis

Housing crisis

I can't see this being fixed any time soon regardless of the party.
    Many vested interests in the health service. The rent crisis - created by Dublin's people refusal to move outside Dublin. Also the Irish problem of people wanting houses with a garden. Rather than an apartment.

Justice system a joke

I cannot see SF helping this with thier attitude towards the SCC and so on.
    Pensions, environment, water infrastructure etc.. etc...

but yeah no crisis at all.

FF and FG had a plan on pensions - on the other side Mary Lou's answer was the demographics would look after themselves!

Also the water infrastructure problem was not helped by the far left protests on water charges. Plus we have seen how silly it was with boiled water notices because of the Lexlip plant etc.
    Plus the irony is that many in rural Ireland have to pay private companies.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Most importantly, cultivate resentment in as broad amount of the populace as possible. Remember, that sliver of the population that is unemployed is reason everything is dysfunctional.

As played out by the many ignorant, arrogant and down right rude comments on Boards over the previous weeks.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Also if I'm not right, I think you were a supporter of the idea of Repeal 8th??? Do you not recall Micheál Martin standing up and giving leadership on the matter to his party???

Ingratiates like you sicken me :(

So what? Does that fact entitle him to a lifetime of my political support or something?
    Yes, after seeing what way the wind was blowing, he did support Repealing the 8th. The vast majority of his party were opposed to it and it still doesn't cancel out all the previous FF failures of the past.

I don't personally owe him anything. And your repeated personal attacks against me for simply disagreeing with you is weakening your argument no end, its really quite pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You new here?
    Health, housing, homelessness.
    Oh and a reported 1% of the electorate gave any weight to Brexit in their decision. That would have to include them that voted FF/FG. Must have been the crises eh?

There will always be problems with health, housing and homelessness - regardless of the party. Look at NI.

As for Brexit most younger ROI working class voters clearly do not understand it's impact. Nor did they care about the impact Brexit would have on NI.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Wesser wrote: »
    The young people don't remember the troubles or any violence in the North. It's a new generation coming through.

Young people might not remember it, but are educated on it. I'd say it's more to do with the fact that "young people" have a much harder time of it , trying to just stay afloat and buy your own home. The insecurity of renting now is absolutely terrifying. There is a fierce want for change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There will always be problems with health, housing and homelessness - regardless of the party. Look at NI.

As for Brexit most younger ROI working class voters clearly do not understand it's impact. Nor did they care about the impact Brexit would have on NI.

Why wouldn't another party not be competent to handle Brexit?

The Brexit policy up to this was via cross party consensus.

Advertisement